Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rating your confidence level on Meyer

(09-20-2021, 02:47 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: We have seen plenty of career college coaches not able to make that jump to the NFL and Meyer is certainly walking that same path right now. Hes had success at the college level so hes shown he can win but this is going to be a multiple year project and we need to hit on every FA and draft pick. Thats a really big ask.

The one question i keep having is why did he take this job? (Other than the $12m a year). He had been in a studio for 3 years, had a good reputation at the college level and decided to coach us. Had he watched this team last year? Did he think he could just walk in and coach us to 10 wins? Is it coaching Lawrence? Had he been spending that 3 years learning how they do it in the NFL or did he think his college blueprint would just transfer over? Are we the only NFL team that's offered him a job?

Its a catch 22. We need him to be the guy that turns us around or this is another wasted season or 2 but its been a rough start and hard to see what we have been working on the last 3 months.

I said before the season i wasn't his biggest fan but id give him 5 games to show he is working on those mistakes. 2 down and Arizona followed by a TNF game. Doesn't get any easier.

W/R/T the first two paragraphs, I think there is a big difference between hiring an up-and-coming college coach (Look at Rhule and Kingsbury recently) versus hiring the established guy looking to try something new (Spurrier, Kelly, Urban).

The established coaches are motivated by seeing if they can replicate the success they had at the other level, but often have spent so much time at the other level that they fail to adapt. I think there's something in the back of those coaches' minds that questions whether their success was a result of their skill, or if they just landed in a perfect position at just the right time. It's not to say a seasoned college coach can't level up and find success, but I think there's a steep climb to overcome the combination of expectation, ego, and willingness to change.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-20-2021, 10:13 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Mikey I get what you are saying on fan service and ticket and or merchandise purchase. Do we really believe Urbz was the reason for more season tickets?

It was because we were getting Lawrence. This franchise is a failure because they didn't consider what to do to make Lawrence more successful. Oline is fine. Screwing around with fake QB competition and ignoring TE outside a cash grab exercise.

I am in broken record territory. Just banging the same pots and pans but jeez dang they are screwing this up.

I'll agree that TLaw is the bigger driver of ticket sales, but there was no way that Shad was going to hire a coach that didn't move the needle. It was the safest "risky" hire he could have made, if that makes sense.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 10:37 AM by Doc Holliday904. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: wrong format )

(09-20-2021, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:11 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Im giving Meyer a pass on this season. Because of his pedigree of coaching I expected him to turn chicken you know what into chicken salad but after 2 games its just clear to me that we have a bunch of guys on this roster. Particular shenault, chark, robinson, and whoever is at TE. Im hoping with another offseason he'll bring more of his guys in and take a more hands on approach with the team. Up until this point he's leaned on his veteran coaches on some important decisions but i expect that to change next season

Or he just doesn't know how to best utilize the talent that's staring him in the face.

Or these guys aren't as good as we thought they were. Robinson is a good back but what you see is what your gonna get from him no knock against him. But at WR Marvin Jones is the best of the bunch which i believe is a problem

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 10:46 AM by Mikey.)

(09-20-2021, 10:16 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think this may be the first stop in his career where he has to face an uphill battle for approval.

I don't think this is true at all. He had his detractors, myself leading the charge ofc, but the large majority was extremely excited about the hire. The fact that it started turning against him quickly as he made bad decision after bad decision was his own fault

While I get what you're saying, the point was more that at each of his previous jobs, benefit of the doubt was a whole lot longer of a leash then than it is now or will be over the course of the season. I'm sure there was a vocal minority of buckfan that were discouraged by the hire until the recruits started committing and the wins started piling up.

Not saying that the expectations are reasonable or justified, but he's not been given a pass at all thusfar.

(09-20-2021, 10:36 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Or he just doesn't know how to best utilize the talent that's staring him in the face.

Or these guys aren't as good as we thought they were. Robinson is a good back but what you see is what your gonna get from him no knock against him. But at WR Marvin Jones is the best of the bunch which i believe is a problem

....but have we had a chance to see what we can get from him? 16 carries in two games?

Our line is built for a run-first offense. We don't try to run until we're down two scores.

(09-20-2021, 10:28 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 02:47 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: We have seen plenty of career college coaches not able to make that jump to the NFL and Meyer is certainly walking that same path right now. Hes had success at the college level so hes shown he can win but this is going to be a multiple year project and we need to hit on every FA and draft pick. Thats a really big ask.

The one question i keep having is why did he take this job? (Other than the $12m a year). He had been in a studio for 3 years, had a good reputation at the college level and decided to coach us. Had he watched this team last year? Did he think he could just walk in and coach us to 10 wins? Is it coaching Lawrence? Had he been spending that 3 years learning how they do it in the NFL or did he think his college blueprint would just transfer over? Are we the only NFL team that's offered him a job?

Its a catch 22. We need him to be the guy that turns us around or this is another wasted season or 2 but its been a rough start and hard to see what we have been working on the last 3 months.

I said before the season i wasn't his biggest fan but id give him 5 games to show he is working on those mistakes. 2 down and Arizona followed by a TNF game. Doesn't get any easier.

W/R/T the first two paragraphs, I think there is a big difference between hiring an up-and-coming college coach (Look at Rhule and Kingsbury recently) versus hiring the established guy looking to try something new (Spurrier, Kelly, Urban).

The established coaches are motivated by seeing if they can replicate the success they had at the other level, but often have spent so much time at the other level that they fail to adapt. I think there's something in the back of those coaches' minds that questions whether their success was a result of their skill, or if they just landed in a perfect position at just the right time. It's not to say a seasoned college coach can't level up and find success, but I think there's a steep climb to overcome the combination of expectation, ego, and willingness to change.

In College you can get away with just recruiting better guys than your opponent.

In the NFL, it's an equal playing field, and the X's and O's actually matter. The work, the grind, all of that matters. He just doesn't have what it takes to be that kind of coach. Hell, even Nick Saban couldn't do it and he's both recruiter and X's and O's. It's just not as easy as they think it is.

(09-20-2021, 10:36 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Or he just doesn't know how to best utilize the talent that's staring him in the face.

I'm going with mismanaged talent over "they're a bunch of scrubs." 

Of course the roster is not filled with enough talent to make them playoff contenders right now, but it does have more than the product we've seen for two weeks suggests. 

I'll agree to disagree here.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 11:14 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-20-2021, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:36 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Or these guys aren't as good as we thought they were. Robinson is a good back but what you see is what your gonna get from him no knock against him. But at WR Marvin Jones is the best of the bunch which i believe is a problem

I'm going with mismanaged talent over "they're a bunch of scrubs." 

Of course the roster is not filled with enough talent to make them playoff contenders right now, but it does have more than the product we've seen for two weeks suggests. 

It's not to the level of Belicheck vs rookie QBs but Fangio typically does really well against rookie QBs.

For me, this game was always going to be difficult which is why the Texans loss last week stung so much.

The defense is going to get torched next week by Kyler but maybe the games against Miami and Cincinnati will be a little better for the Jags.

And to be clear, I'm also agreeing with you. I think the roster has enough talent to put more than 7 points yesterday.

No matter worthless message board ratings, to have a uninjured RB in J Rob that is averaging damn near 5 yards per carry to only have 16 touches thru two complete games is simply incompetence/dereliction. If he isn't calling plays then he damn sure needs to admonish and demand change from whoever is.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-20-2021, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm going with mismanaged talent over "they're a bunch of scrubs." 

It's not to the level of Belicheck vs rookie QBs but Fangio typically does really well against rookie QBs.

For me, this game was always going to be difficult which is why the Texans loss last week stung so much.

The defense is going to get torched next week by Kyler but maybe the games against Miami and Cincinnati will be a little better for the Jags.

And to be clear, I'm also agreeing with you. I think the roster has enough talent to put more than 7 points yesterday.

But we ALL know the cure for that problem and it seems no one on the sideline does. That is the crux of all of these problems, we're expected to believe that they know what they're doing when what they are doing obviously makes no sense.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-20-2021, 10:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 10:13 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Mikey I get what you are saying on fan service and ticket and or merchandise purchase. Do we really believe Urbz was the reason for more season tickets?

It was because we were getting Lawrence. This franchise is a failure because they didn't consider what to do to make Lawrence more successful. Oline is fine. Screwing around with fake QB competition and ignoring TE outside a cash grab exercise.

I am in broken record territory. Just banging the same pots and pans but jeez dang they are screwing this up.

I'll agree that TLaw is the bigger driver of ticket sales, but there was no way that Shad was going to hire a coach that didn't move the needle. It was the safest "risky" hire he could have made, if that makes sense.

Makes sense and thanks for the discussion. I really hope we can do more than 1 offensive drive.  The opening drive was a hint on what can happen.  It seemed to me that the matchups were better this week but we need people to win their one on ones.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I would rate him as a 1 at this point because I have seen relatively few moves that are impressive. At the same time I feel like there has been an inordinate amount of obviously bad moves.

Now these observations are being validated by the quality of play we see on the field. Until they are proven right by winning or change their decisions to mirror successful franchises, I have no faith he will find success.

I know this is an old post, but the more I see how the Jags are mismanaging Trevor, the more I'm reminded of it. It's almost like Swinney knew what could happen with Urban handling the talent. 

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...38464?s=19

I figure if Urban has his way he'll just have Lawrence sling the opening 'kickoff'.

Then again, with Lambo falling off the cliff, that just might work for PATs. Hmmm...

(09-20-2021, 10:28 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I agree with you and i think you make some really good points with the difference between and up and coming HC and a seasoned HC. I certainly think the seasoned HC think they have a blueprint and can just implement it at different teams. I think that can work at the college level and if you end up at a big name school then thats half the battle but as others have said, thats not the way it works in the NFL. You need to outscheme and create matchups that help you win. Not saying Meyer cant do that but in the NFL, pretty much every player is a very good player so your not going to have a stud WR thats just going to bully and dominate a DB all game like you can in college.