Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacob Hollister

(09-21-2021, 09:35 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In regards to the part in bold, Meyer said that the reason they passed more than they liked was because they were behind.  But being behind by 10 points in the 3rd quarter is not a good reason to abandon the run.  That seems like illogical panic.  If I thought the best way for my team to win was with offensive balance, I wouldn't abandon the run until it was really necessary.   For example, 10 points down with 5 minutes to go.  Not 10 points down with a quarter and a half remaining on the clock.

No kidding...  Imagine if the tacks had abandoned the run half way through the third quarter yesterday.  They probably lose by 20ish.  Granted, we don't have a Henry, but Robinson is no slouch.

They don't like Robinson. At least not right now. Outside of Lawrence not a fan of this off-season and preseason. Week 1 and 2 not helping.

They have to have a strong standing next game. If they compete and we see improvement that would be good for where we are now. Winning will be great when it comes but competency would be nice right now.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021, 09:50 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote: As I've said in another thread, this week there needs to be a bigger offensive emphasis on small ball.

More patience and persistence in the running game.

Shorter drops, quicker releases.

Be more content with short and intermediate gains.

If we execute that should translate into better down and distance situations, less predictability, more consistency, more sustained drives, better protection for Trevor Lawrence, more rest for the defense.

In regards to the part in bold, Meyer said that the reason they passed more than they liked was because they were behind.  But being behind by 10 points in the 3rd quarter is not a good reason to abandon the run.  That seems like illogical panic.  If I thought the best way for my team to win was with offensive balance, I wouldn't abandon the run until it was really necessary.   For example, 10 points down with 5 minutes to go.  Not 10 points down with a quarter and a half remaining on the clock.

Boom!

Correctamundo.  

I can recall plenty of games over the years where trailing teams got back into games by running the ball.  Super Bowl XXVIII... the 2nd Dallas-Buffalo Super Bowl...Dallas trailed at half 13-6.  Dallas opened the 2nd half running Emmitt Smith something like 7 straight times, scored a TD and permanently seized momentum and won the game.  Plenty of games in Bill Cowher's career he did that, including super Bowl XXX.  Though they did not win thanks to Neil O'Donnell, they seized momentum by running the ball.  Just this past Sunday, as the other poster (Scottyg) observed, running Derrick Henry in the second half helped the tacks overcome a huge deficit and they won in overtime

Marty, et Al are correct.  This team is abandoning the run to its detriment.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-21-2021, 09:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In regards to the part in bold, Meyer said that the reason they passed more than they liked was because they were behind.  But being behind by 10 points in the 3rd quarter is not a good reason to abandon the run.  That seems like illogical panic.  If I thought the best way for my team to win was with offensive balance, I wouldn't abandon the run until it was really necessary.   For example, 10 points down with 5 minutes to go.  Not 10 points down with a quarter and a half remaining on the clock.

Thank you. 

They can still achieve balance in the 2nd and early 3rd quarters of games while also taking some shots to get caught up. It doesn't have to be "panic and throw away any sense of a game plan" when you've got 8 more possessions coming your way. 

Going 3 and out with 3 straight passes to start the 2nd half in week one was atrocious.

I am NOT buying the "situation and scoreboard" excuse for abandoning the run as well as the high completion percentage passes.

I think it's more valid week 1 than it was week 2.  Week 2 they abandoned the run way too soon.

(09-21-2021, 09:43 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 09:35 AM)scottyg Wrote: No kidding...  Imagine if the tacks had abandoned the run half way through the third quarter yesterday.  They probably lose by 20ish.  Granted, we don't have a Henry, but Robinson is no slouch.

They don't like Robinson. At least not right now. Outside of Lawrence not a fan of this off-season and preseason. Week 1 and 2 not helping.

They have to have a strong standing next game. If they compete and we see improvement that would be good for where we are now. Winning will be great when it comes but competency would be nice right now.

I agree they don't seem to be big fans of Robinson.