Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Samuel Adams launches new 28% ABV beer

(09-23-2021, 12:00 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Worst beer I ever had was El Presidente.. Skunk in a bottle..

Favorite beer is Newcastle..

For me, worst personally was probably Blatz. They came in the hand grenade style bottles (a la Red Stripe) and was not good. Memory is not the best, but IIRC we had just finished a job painting someone's house, and they offered us a beer. Sure! They gave us each one of these, and I have to imagine they had been sitting in the garage for a year before they were offered to us. Even if I was 19 and enjoying the privelege of underaged consumption, Blatz was not worth it.

Had a taste of an awful beer at a beerfest type event, it was a "Smoky bacon infused breakfast stout" that tasted like you were taking a drag from a bottle of liquid smoke. One sip, and the rest was donated to a nearby patch of grass. It was horrid.

Speaking of Newcastle, they have a seasonal (Bombshell) that is one of the few beers that is on my "I don't care how many beers I have at home, if I see it, I'm buying it". Another of those is Old Peculier. Just delicious.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-23-2021, 09:20 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:00 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Worst beer I ever had was El Presidente.. Skunk in a bottle..

For me, worst personally was probably Blatz. They came in the hand grenade style bottles (a la Red Stripe) and was not good. Memory is not the best, but IIRC we had just finished a job painting someone's house, and they offered us a beer. Sure! They gave us each one of these, and I have to imagine they had been sitting in the garage for a year before they were offered to us. Even if I was 19 and enjoying the privelege of underaged consumption, Blatz was not worth it.

Had a taste of an awful beer at a beerfest type event, it was a "Smoky bacon infused breakfast stout" that tasted like you were taking a drag from a bottle of liquid smoke. One sip, and the rest was donated to a nearby patch of grass. It was horrid.

Speaking of Newcastle, they have a seasonal (Bombshell) that is one of the few beers that is on my "I don't care how many beers I have at home, if I see it, I'm buying it". Another of those is Old Peculier. Just delicious.

I forget how long ago it was, but I threw a small gathering a long time ago and I bought a full keg of newcastle. It was for the Tyson/Holyfield fight when he got his ear bit off.. We floated that keg and that was the first time I ever had Newcastle and I fell in love with it..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(09-23-2021, 09:20 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen.

I drank Newcastle's quite a bit in the late 90s. It's been yyeeaars since I had one. Left Hand Brewery Nitro Milk Stout is my favorite now.

(09-23-2021, 04:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I drank Newcastle's quite a bit in the late 90s. It's been yyeeaars since I had one. Left Hand Brewery Nitro Milk Stout is my favorite now.

Wouldn't have pegged you for a milk stout kinda guy.

(09-23-2021, 08:27 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 04:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I drank Newcastle's quite a bit in the late 90s. It's been yyeeaars since I had one. Left Hand Brewery Nitro Milk Stout is my favorite now.

Wouldn't have pegged you for a milk stout kinda guy.

That stuff is ambrosia.

Pumking this time of year is the [BLEEP].

That's one thing I can't tolerate, the fall flavors.. Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin spice, pumpkin puke  Sick

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I bought a case of Warsteiner Oktoberfest the other day. I'm not a beer connoisseur like some of you guys, but I think it's pretty good.

(09-24-2021, 01:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I bought a case of Warsteiner Oktoberfest the other day.  I'm not a beer connoisseur like some of you guys, but I think it's pretty good.

I LOVE Warsteiner.

(09-24-2021, 11:51 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: That's one thing I can't tolerate, the fall flavors.. Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin spice, pumpkin puke  Sick

just give me a dang pumpkin pie, I'll get something to drink on the side.

you'll notice I didn't say slice of, either. The whole pie. Give. Now.

(09-24-2021, 11:51 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: That's one thing I can't tolerate, the fall flavors.. Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin spice, pumpkin puke  Sick

I’ll add cinnamon!  The cinnamon is also way too abundant.  Especially when the wife wants to go to hobby lobby or someplace that has the cinnamon broomsticks.  Ugh!  It may be for some people, but my nose can’t take it.

(09-22-2021, 05:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: IMHO, Samuel Adams only ever produced one good beer, and that's their original. It's a great draft beer. The rest is trendy trash.

While their success rate on their dozens of trendy stuff isn't great, I disagree on both points.  Boston Lager is pretty good on draft, but I wouldn't go so far to say great.  If you like stouts, which I do, they make a great one when they decide to put it out. 

They've also done a limited run on some 9-12% ale/stout collections that I picked up at Costco a few years back.  It came in a 3-pack, and I'd put them up against the better foreign and craft beers out there today.  I hadn't seen it in years, though.  Hopefully they'll be back for Christmas season one of these years.