Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New treatment destroys head and neck cancer tumors in trial

"A new cancer treatment can wipe out tumors in terminally ill head and neck cancer patients, scientists have discovered.
In a landmark trial, a cocktail of immunotherapy medications harnessed patients’ immune systems to kill their own cancer cells and prompted “a positive trend in survival”, according to researchers at the Institute of [font=GuardianTextEgyptian, 'Guardian Text Egyptian Web', Georgia, serif]Cancer Research (ICR), London, and the Royal Marsden NHS foundation trust.[/font]

One patient, who was expected to die four years ago, told the Guardian of the “amazing” moment nurses called him weeks after he joined the study to say his tumour had “completely disappeared”. The 77-year-old grandfather is now cancer-free and spent last week on a cruise with his wife.
Scientists found the combination of nivolumab and ipilimumab medications led to a reduction in the size of tumours in terminally ill [font=GuardianTextEgyptian, 'Guardian Text Egyptian Web', Georgia, serif]head and neck cancer patients. In some, their cancer vanished altogether, with doctors stunned to find no detectable sign of disease."[/font]

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021...inds-trial

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Immunotherapy is an amazing advancement.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

....I half expected to see a guillotine as the prescribed remedy.

I just started my second round of immunotherapy. I did it 4 years ago for head/neck melanoma. It was easy. Very lucky that I suffered no side effects. Also it's nice that I have insurance. The drug was over 100k.
This time I'm getting 2 drugs. (Neither mentioned here). And it's almost 250k. I'm so lucky.

Immunotherapy is amazing. It's the only reason Jimmy Carter is still alive.

The biggest problem is that when I see the commercials is that the people they're targeting are 80 year old couples. And the slogan is "A couple extra years together.". Well. I turn 41 in a couple weeks. I want to the second half of my life.
s
;

;

(10-18-2021, 10:15 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: I just started my second round of immunotherapy.  I did it 4 years ago for head/neck melanoma.  It was easy.  Very lucky that I suffered no side effects.  Also it's nice that I have insurance.  The drug was over 100k. 
This time I'm getting 2 drugs. (Neither mentioned here).    And it's almost 250k.  I'm so lucky.

Immunotherapy is amazing.  It's the only reason Jimmy Carter is still alive.

The biggest problem is that when I see the commercials is that the people they're targeting are 80 year old couples.  And the slogan is "A couple extra years together.". Well. I turn 41 in a couple weeks.  I want to the second half of my life.

Good to hear, Norman. Even though you suck at starting threads.  Tongue

(10-18-2021, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 10:15 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: I just started my second round of immunotherapy.  I did it 4 years ago for head/neck melanoma.  It was easy.  Very lucky that I suffered no side effects.  Also it's nice that I have insurance.  The drug was over 100k. 
This time I'm getting 2 drugs. (Neither mentioned here).    And it's almost 250k.  I'm so lucky.

Immunotherapy is amazing.  It's the only reason Jimmy Carter is still alive.

The biggest problem is that when I see the commercials is that the people they're targeting are 80 year old couples.  And the slogan is "A couple extra years together.". Well. I turn 41 in a couple weeks.  I want to the second half of my life.

Good to hear, Norman. Even though you suck at starting threads.  Tongue

Thanks.  I figure if this drug keeps me going till the next better thing presents itself, I should be fine.

I feel its more important to finish strong.?
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2021, 12:17 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(10-18-2021, 11:16 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Good to hear, Norman. Even though you suck at starting threads.  Tongue

Thanks.  I figure if this drug keeps me going till the next better thing presents itself, I should be fine.

Thoughts and prayers toward your continued progression to good health.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(10-18-2021, 11:16 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Good to hear, Norman. Even though you suck at starting threads.  Tongue

Here's to keepin on keepin on. Didn't realize you were going through this, hoping for the next better thing to come along soon.

Thanks everyone. I've never got my own thoughts and prayers
It's funny, as serious as it's been, it's hard to claim it to others. I've never suffered real loss from Cancer. I lost no body parts, no extreme therapies. And other than telling wife/family members, it hasn't been to hard. Considering the circumstances, it has been the best possible scenario.
My second diagnosis was just a couple months ago. Before then, I could tell myself it was a fluke. Now I get to play, how long till I get to deal with this again game?
s
;

;