Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did we do that? Ooops.

(02-20-2022, 04:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 03:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's still funny to me that a few on here think that the reason for the Eagles success on offense in 2017 was because of Reich and Pederson is the one who called the plays.

What's interesting to me is the same people crediting reich for Wentz' MVP level performance pre injury don't blame him for Wentz's regression this year.

Reich is a mid tier coach. Better than most of the Jaguars over the last decade, but not an elite level coach by any means.

In fact he may be the reason the colts got bent over so badly on the Wentz deal, which means he's actually harmed the team to a great extent.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-21-2022, 06:42 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 04:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What's interesting to me is the same people crediting reich for Wentz' MVP level performance pre injury don't blame him for Wentz's regression this year.

Reich is a mid tier coach. Better than most of the Jaguars over the last decade, but not an elite level coach by any means.

In fact he may be the reason the colts got bent over so badly on the Wentz deal, which means he's actually harmed the team to a great extent.
I have long held Reich in high esteem.

But I admit that perhaps I may have overestimated him, at least when it comes to QB development.

I'm not fully prepared to say he's a middle tier coach, but he may be exactly that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-21-2022, 07:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 06:42 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Reich is a mid tier coach. Better than most of the Jaguars over the last decade, but not an elite level coach by any means.

I have long held Reich in high esteem.

But I admit that perhaps I may have overestimated him, at least when it comes to QB development.

I'm not fully prepared to say he's a middle tier coach, but he may be exactly that.

It really comes back to what we think of the colts roster, and I think it's pretty good. They have one of the best running backs, a good offensive line, and a good defense.

When Reich has had a legit QB he's managed to make it into they playoffs, but wasn't in any way impressive in what the team achieved compared to its talent level.

So if he's more than an average coach, then how has he never even won the division in four years? It's not like it's a strong division.

(02-22-2022, 09:29 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 07:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I have long held Reich in high esteem.

It really comes back to what we think of the colts roster, and I think it's pretty good. They have one of the best running backs, a good offensive line, and a good defense.

When Reich has had a legit QB he's managed to make it into they playoffs, but wasn't in any way impressive in what the team achieved compared to its talent level.

So if he's more than an average coach, then how has he never even won the division in four years? It's not like it's a strong division.

I recently watched Chris Ballard's season ending press conference.

His evaluation of their roster was somewhat jarring, especially when it comes to the premium positions.

In short, he believes the Colts need a QB, a LT, and pass rushers (Kwity Paye excepted).

He also felt the team could use another CB and maybe some WRs.

(02-22-2022, 10:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 09:29 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It really comes back to what we think of the colts roster, and I think it's pretty good. They have one of the best running backs, a good offensive line, and a good defense.

I recently watched Chris Ballard's season ending press conference.

His evaluation of their roster was somewhat jarring, especially when it comes to the premium positions.

In short, he believes the Colts need a QB, a LT, and pass rushers (Kwity Paye excepted).

Very few rosters would be without some perceived need. I agree they have relative needs, like every team, but compared to the Jaguars I'd say they're better or even at most positions. They only ones I can think of that the Jaguars are clearly better at is QB.

Really I think week 17 of last season said it all about Reich as a coach. The colts got dominated by the team drafting number one overall.

(02-22-2022, 12:21 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 10:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I recently watched Chris Ballard's season ending press conference.

Very few rosters would be without some perceived need. I agree they have relative needs, like every team, but compared to the Jaguars I'd say they're better or even at most positions. They only ones I can think of that the Jaguars are clearly better at is QB.

Really I think week 17 of last season said it all about Reich as a coach. The colts got dominated by the team drafting number one overall.

Agreed with this as a general rule.

However, watching that press conference, it seemed more than mere boilerplate stuff.  He seemed genuinely concerned about those positions.

In fact, I'm convinced that the best way to fins out what a team is thinking going into the offseason is to listen to those end of season press conferences.  I think those are more honest evaluations rather than the smoke that starts to happen around the combine and leading up to the draft.

(02-23-2022, 08:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 12:21 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Very few rosters would be without some perceived need. I agree they have relative needs, like every team, but compared to the Jaguars I'd say they're better or even at most positions. They only ones I can think of that the Jaguars are clearly better at is QB.

Agreed with this as a general rule.

However, watching that press conference, it seemed more than mere boilerplate stuff.  He seemed genuinely concerned about those positions.

In fact, I'm convinced that the best way to fins out what a team is thinking going into the offseason is to listen to those end of season press conferences.  I think those are more honest evaluations rather than the smoke that starts to happen around the combine and leading up to the draft.

I don't doubt that he can evaluate the depth and quality of his own roster, but that doesn't mean anything about the relative strength of the roster overall.

Do you think the packers would have done just as well if everyone except Rodgers was swapped with the colts? I do. They're a good team without a QB, sort of a step down from where the Jaguars were overall in 2017, but a good team nonetheless.

(02-23-2022, 09:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 08:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Agreed with this as a general rule.

I don't doubt that he can evaluate the depth and quality of his own roster, but that doesn't mean anything about the relative strength of the roster overall.

Do you think the packers would have done just as well if everyone except Rodgers was swapped with the colts? I do. They're a good team without a QB, sort of a step down from where the Jaguars were overall in 2017, but a good team nonetheless.

Well speaking strictly from a comparative basis, yes their roster 1-53 is stronger than ours, even with the weaknesses he identified.

That said, as disparate as the talent was this last season, the weaknesses in the roster were still enough to let us dominate them when they had everything left to play for, while we had the worst coaching situation in the league, and the worst roster in the league.

We have a better coaching situation now.  TL will not be a rookie next year, and chances are, our roster will be more talented this year than it was last season.  The weaknesses Ballard identified in his team are not easy to upgrade, especially without a first round pick at their disposal.  They can be far more vulnerable in 2022 f things don't go well for them this offseason.

(02-23-2022, 09:29 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 09:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I don't doubt that he can evaluate the depth and quality of his own roster, but that doesn't mean anything about the relative strength of the roster overall.

Well speaking strictly from a comparative basis, yes their roster 1-53 is stronger than ours, even with the weaknesses he identified.

That said, as disparate as the talent was this last season, the weaknesses in the roster were still enough to let us dominate them when they had everything left to play for, while we had the worst coaching situation in the league, and the worst roster in the league.

We have a better coaching situation now.  TL will not be a rookie next year, and chances are, our roster will be more talented this year than it was last season.  The weaknesses Ballard identified in his team are not easy to upgrade, especially without a first round pick at their disposal.  They can be far more vulnerable in 2022 f things don't go well for them this offseason.

So coming back to the original point, Reich has shown he's not a difference making HC.

(01-14-2022, 02:16 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 03:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't forget Jim Kelly.

Did those checks come due?

Checks?

Did my buddy pay off his bet?

Yes...I got by steak dinner.

(03-28-2022, 03:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/footballchic904/stat...YNCfZc0avg

[Image: FO9FPDfXwAAI9Rj?format=jpg&name=medium]

Laughing Banana