Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Experts mock draft thread

(02-28-2022, 12:11 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 10:49 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd be fine with this.

Is he a 3-4 OLB? Or a 3-4 DE like Watt? Or his he a traditional 43 DE. That is my only question about Hutch.

Why not play him were he was a beast last year and one of the best players in college?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2022, 01:25 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-28-2022, 01:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:11 PM)Dimson Wrote: Is he a 3-4 OLB? Or a 3-4 DE like Watt? Or his he a traditional 43 DE. That is my only question about Hutch.

Why not play him were he was a beast last year and one of the best players in college?

Thibodeaux is definitely not a 3-4 DE. He played the Joker position at Oregon, which is basically like a 3-4 OLB. That's what he would play here. 

Hutchinson is more of a traditional 4-3 DE, but that does not mean he would be a bad fit as a 3-4 OLB. He shows all the tools to make such a switch and plenty of successful college 4-3 DE's have become stars in the NFL after transitioning to 3-4 OLB.

(02-28-2022, 01:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:11 PM)Dimson Wrote: Is he a 3-4 OLB? Or a 3-4 DE like Watt? Or his he a traditional 43 DE. That is my only question about Hutch.

Thibodeaux is definitely not a 3-4 DE. He played the Joker position at Oregon, which is basically like a 3-4 OLB. That's what he would play here. 

Hutchinson is more of a traditional 4-3 DE, but that does not mean he would be a bad fit as a 3-4 OLB. He shows all the tools to make such a switch and plenty of successful college 4-3 DE's have become stars in the NFL after transitioning to 3-4 OLB.

Hutchinson himself said recently in an interview on pat mcafee show that he wants to be drafted by 3-4 team as he’s at his best stood up which is why there was such a big jump in production from Him this year

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2022, 04:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-28-2022, 01:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 01:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why not play him were he was a beast last year and one of the best players in college?

(02-28-2022, 01:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why not play him were he was a beast last year and one of the best players in college?

He had his had in the dirt for the most part before this year and he was decent.  His play took off this year as a 3-4.  Thibs is a 4-3 end imo and play Hutch were he was one of the best players in college and his play took off, a stand up 3-4 OLB

(02-28-2022, 03:56 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: Hutchinson himself said recently in an interview on pat mcafee show that he wants to be drafted by 3-4 team as he’s at his best stood up which is why there was such a big jump in production from Him this year

I didn't see that interview, but exactly.  Hutch is a 3-4 OLB.

(02-28-2022, 04:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 01:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Thibodeaux is definitely not a 3-4 DE. He played the Joker position at Oregon, which is basically like a 3-4 OLB. That's what he would play here. 

He had his had in the dirt for the most part before this year and he was decent.  His play took off this year as a 3-4.  Thibs is a 4-3 end imo and play Hutch were he was one of the best players in college and his play took off, a stand up 3-4 OLB

(02-28-2022, 03:56 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: Hutchinson himself said recently in an interview on pat mcafee show that he wants to be drafted by 3-4 team as he’s at his best stood up which is why there was such a big jump in production from Him this year

I didn't see that interview, but exactly.  Hutch is a 3-4 OLB.

Hutchinson was actually used as a DE and OLB last year. Michigan would go into some sets where they would give a 4-3 look with David Ojabo in a Joker role and some subsets where they would give a 3-4 look with Hutchinson and Ojabo serving as OLB's. Like I said, I totally believe Hutchinson and Thibodeaux can both be great 3-4 OLB's.

Today Mel Kiper posted his new mock. He has us taking OT Ikem Ekwonu of North Carolina State.

(03-01-2022, 10:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Today Mel Kiper posted his new mock. He has us taking OT Ikem Ekwonu of North Carolina State.

Smart guy. My favorite dude in the draft.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I ask this question purely because ozone asked it the other day on a podcast.
If you don’t believe Neal or either of the pass rushers can be truly elite do you go against conventional wisdom and take Hamilton?
Obviously safety one overall isn’t value at all but if he is the only special player the team values at the top of the draft are you okay with the decision ?

"Gotta protect Trevor, gotta help Trevor, gotta do everything we can to help Trevor succeed"

*takes by far the worst pass protector of the big 3 OT*

Sounds like the Jaguars alright.

(03-01-2022, 12:04 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: I ask this question purely because ozone asked it the other day on a podcast.
If you don’t believe Neal or either of the pass rushers can be truly elite do you go against conventional wisdom and take Hamilton?
Obviously safety one overall isn’t value at all but if he is the only special player the team values at the top of the draft are you okay with the decision ?

No if it isn't an elite OT at 1 you take pass rusher. Pairing Thib or Hutch with Allen would create problems for opposing QBs. 
We'll still need to address OL but Cam for another year might not be the worst situation. And Little could make strides there as well.

Zero chance it actually happens, but Hamilton would be a perfectly fine pick at 1 this year.

(03-01-2022, 03:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Zero chance it actually happens, but Hamilton would be a perfectly fine pick at 1 this year.

If the DE/OLB's are off the table, I still prefer CB Ahmad Gardner by a wide margin.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 03:45 PM by Upper.)

(03-01-2022, 03:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 03:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Zero chance it actually happens, but Hamilton would be a perfectly fine pick at 1 this year.

If the DE/OLB's are off the table, I still prefer CB Ahmad Gardner by a wide margin.

I always preface it by saying that secondary is the hardest for me to judge because they're off screen the most and because a lot of them are so scheme specific, for example Campbell being absolute garbage in man and then suddenly being quite good in zone.

That said, I think McDuffie is going to be my CB1 if he blows up the combine as expected.

Taking a safety over Thibs or Hutch this year would not be fine. I don't care about taking a safety #1 overall if there's no premier talent at a premier position, but pass pro and pass rush are way more important

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/draft/new...hutchinson

Shipley isn't an "expert" but he does a great job of covering the Jags. If you want to read his reasoning, click the link above. If you are just curious:

1. Hutch
2. Dotson
3A. Muma
3B. Justyn Ross
4. Kellen Diesch
5. Nick Cross
6. Pierre Strong

I really love this draft. A lot.

(03-07-2022, 09:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/draft/new...hutchinson

Shipley isn't an "expert" but he does a great job of covering the Jags. If you want to read his reasoning, click the link above. If you are just curious:

1. Hutch
2. Dotson
3A. Muma
3B. Justyn Ross
4. Kellen Diesch
5. Nick Cross
6. Pierre Strong

Other than Justyn Ross, who I wouldn't even bother wasting a pick on and Nick Cross, I really like this draft. Hutch is an obvious choice at #1. Dotson would be great, although I highly doubt he's there at #33. I love Chad Muma. Diesch would be a solid swing tackle if we tag Robinson. I don't see us selecting a Safety though. We took Cisco last season and he should be a starter. We have Ford as a decent backup and whether we like it or not, Rashawn Jenkins is our other starter for at least another season, based upon that terrible contract he signed. He counts $13 million in dead cap money if we cut or trade him. I really like Pierre Strong, but personally, I wouldn't sign a RB. The class is so deep we don't need to waste a draft pick on one. Really good RB's are gonna go undrafted due to the volume of the talent and the lack of need at the position by NFL teams, but Strong is a really good RB. I also really like the selection of OG Chris Paul as well, but I don't see him falling that far. Jeffrey Gunter would be a good backup OLB. I wonder why he didn't just finish out this draft by listing our 2 seventh round picks as well? 

Personally, I would switch out the Ross selection for TE Jelani Woods. I would switch the Nick Cross selection for WR Charleston Rambo and I would use the 7th round picks on WR Tay Martin and C/OG Cam Jurgens.

(03-07-2022, 10:23 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 09:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/draft/new...hutchinson

1. Hutch
2. Dotson
3A. Muma
3B. Justyn Ross
4. Kellen Diesch
5. Nick Cross
6. Pierre Strong

Other than Justyn Ross, who I wouldn't even bother wasting a pick on and Nick Cross, I really like this draft. Hutch is an obvious choice at #1. Dotson would be great, although I highly doubt he's there at #33. I love Chad Muma. Diesch would be a solid swing tackle if we tag Robinson. I don't see us selecting a Safety though. We took Cisco last season and he should be a starter. We have Ford as a decent backup and whether we like it or not, Rashawn Jenkins is our other starter for at least another season, based upon that terrible contract he signed. He counts $13 million in dead cap money if we cut or trade him. I really like Pierre Strong, but personally, I wouldn't sign a RB. The class is so deep we don't need to waste a draft pick on one. Really good RB's are gonna go undrafted due to the volume of the talent and the lack of need at the position by NFL teams, but Strong is a really good RB. I also really like the selection of OG Chris Paul as well, but I don't see him falling that far. Jeffrey Gunter would be a good backup OLB. I wonder why he didn't just finish out this draft by listing our 2 seventh round picks as well? 

Personally, I would switch out the Ross selection for TE Jelani Woods. I would switch the Nick Cross selection for WR Charleston Rambo and I would use the 7th round picks on WR Tay Martin and C/OG Cam Jurgens.
Wasting a pick on Cross?  I think Cross in the 5th would be very good value and likely the BPA if he makes it there

(03-07-2022, 10:48 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 10:23 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Other than Justyn Ross, who I wouldn't even bother wasting a pick on and Nick Cross, I really like this draft. Hutch is an obvious choice at #1. Dotson would be great, although I highly doubt he's there at #33. I love Chad Muma. Diesch would be a solid swing tackle if we tag Robinson. I don't see us selecting a Safety though. We took Cisco last season and he should be a starter. We have Ford as a decent backup and whether we like it or not, Rashawn Jenkins is our other starter for at least another season, based upon that terrible contract he signed. He counts $13 million in dead cap money if we cut or trade him. I really like Pierre Strong, but personally, I wouldn't sign a RB. The class is so deep we don't need to waste a draft pick on one. Really good RB's are gonna go undrafted due to the volume of the talent and the lack of need at the position by NFL teams, but Strong is a really good RB. I also really like the selection of OG Chris Paul as well, but I don't see him falling that far. Jeffrey Gunter would be a good backup OLB. I wonder why he didn't just finish out this draft by listing our 2 seventh round picks as well? 

Wasting a pick on Cross?  I think Cross in the 5th would be very good value and likely the BPA if he makes it there

I just don't see us targeting a Safety anywhere in this draft based on the selection of Cisco last season, the performance of Ford in 2021 and the huge contract of Rashawn Jenkins. I see us focusing on Safety in 2023, once we can get out of Jenkins' contract.

1. Hutch
2. Dotson
3A. Muma
3B. Justyn Ross
4. Kellen Diesch
5. Nick Cross
6. Pierre Strong

Lmao, my favorite PFF sim I did last night was

1. Hutch
33. Dotson
65. Asamoah
70. Jelani Woods
102. Diesch
Then I forget the order but got Strong also and Zach Tom and Kevin Austin.

Great minds and all.

(03-07-2022, 11:04 AM)Upper Wrote:

1. Hutch
2. Dotson
3A. Muma
3B. Justyn Ross
4. Kellen Diesch
5. Nick Cross
6. Pierre Strong

Lmao, my favorite PFF sim I did last night was

1. Hutch
33. Dotson
65. Asamoah
70. Jelani Woods
102. Diesch
Then I forget the order but got Strong also and Zach Tom and Kevin Austin.

Great minds and all.

Hopefully PFF will fix their rankings in light of the combine. I ran several more drafts this weekend. The players they have still around in the fourth round and beyond is really unreasonable.
[Image: giphy.gif]