Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 Winter Olympics

(02-09-2022, 08:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: Fox News is saying the world-beating Russian figure skater Kamila tested positive for roids. Tragic if true!

Well, this has come to pass, and is one of the bigger [BLEEP] storm jokes that the IOC and ROC has created for quite some time. This situation has been handled so wrong in so many ways all down the line, starting with the whole 'ROC' concept. Moral of the story: stay away from gramps drug stash, LOL.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The ROC shouldn't even be a thing and that girl should have not been able to compete going forward from the positive test result.

The black female track athlete who tested positive for marijuana use last year is now saying she didn't get to the summer Games because she's black. Um, no. You didn't qualify for the Games because you were suspended due to smoking pot. You broke the rules. In your place another black female athlete who didn't break the rules was able to compete and won a spot on the Olympic team. The Russian girl was already at the Games when the results came back.

Oof. This guy nailed the Russian cheating scandal and put it into raw perspective.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/olympic-fig...45056.html

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2022, 04:36 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 7 times in total.)

(02-18-2022, 04:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Oof. This guy nailed the Russian cheating scandal and put it into raw perspective.

Cosmic Justice. She fell multiple times during her free skate and didn't medal. Was she directed to take a dive and thus avoid the controversy so she could still elicit a shred of sympathy without any further hate directed her and the ROC's way? Or did the weight of expectations/guilt finally overwhelm her? Regardless, the skate never should have happened. She and/or her team was in a no-win situation of their own making, wrongly enabled by whatever committee allowed this to begin with. Then the blubbering, like the KGB took her family away or something. It's just ice skating folks. People spinning around on frozen water on thin pieces of metal. Nothing to get life-alteringly upset about. The sun will rise tomorrow.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-18-2022, 11:05 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 04:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Oof. This guy nailed the Russian cheating scandal and put it into raw perspective.

Cosmic Justice.  She fell multiple times during her free skate and didn't medal.  Was she directed to take a dive and thus avoid the controversy so she could still elicit a shred of sympathy without any further hate directed her and the ROC's way?  Or did the weight of expectations/guilt finally overwhelm her? Regardless, the skate never should have happened.  She and/or her team was in a no-win situation of their own making, wrongly enabled by whatever committee allowed this to begin with.  Then the blubbering, like the KGB took her family away or something.  It's just ice skating folks.  People spinning around on frozen water on thin pieces of metal.  Nothing to get life-alteringly upset about.  The sun will rise tomorrow.

We watched her free skate to see what happened and we both agreed she threw the skate. Her mistakes were not ones someone of her caliber would make. And they looked obvious. The ROC is just the first in a long line of people who failed her, her teammates and the whole of the Olympic community. 

You say it's just people spinning on ice and it's no big deal. The Olympics are a huge deal for athletes who, for the most part, compete their whole lives for their time on the ice, snow, track, swimming pool, etc. It's literally all they live for, specifically the young athletes. In Russia the pressure to perform and win, especially in gymnastics and figure skating, is on a level none of the other countries put on their athletes. And it's specific to females. It's like they hate their female athletes and love to abuse them. If they don't perform to expectations they're abused even more. 

So to say it's nothing to get life-altering upset about is incorrect. For her, she will pay by being the very public scapegoat for ROCs cruelty, intolerance and incompetence showcased on the international stage.

Welp. I have to say I enjoyed watching 2+ weeks of Curling. That was certainly not my plan but I got sucked in by Chris Plys and Vicky Persinger in Mixed Doubles and furthermore by Team Shuster, the mens team who won gold in 2018. I watched other countries matches too, specifically Sweden and Great Britain, and enjoyed them too. 

We did watch some of the luge, skeleton, bobsled and monobob and Shaun White's last run on the half pipe but it was curling that I was most fascinated with. When hubby wasn't at work he was watching it with me. 

I'm going to miss tuning in everyday to see what happens next. The gold medal round between Sweden and GBR was a great finale. They took it into overtime which made it even more interesting. Hats off to Peacock streaming service for making every sport available on replay (no commercials and "stories of interest"!!) since it wasn't convenient to watch what we did when it was being broadcast. Looking forward to the 2026 Winter Olympics in Italy.

Curling is the Bob Ross of sporting events.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2022, 08:53 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-20-2022, 01:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Curling is the Bob Ross of sporting events.

My nephew just got married.  Turns out his new wife curled (is that the right word?) for the Swiss national women's curling team that won the world championship in 2015 and 2019.  So now we have a world champion curler in our family.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2022, 10:39 PM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

That's pretty cool!

My husband said the national curling event for USA in 2019 was held in Jacksonville. I assume at the Veteran's Memorial Arena or whatever it's called these days. I used to watch hockey games there back in the day.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2022, 08:20 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Curling is pretty cool.  I find myself watching it more than I probably should.  And the Bob Ross reference is pretty spot on.  I’ve never watched either without being fully calm and relaxed.  I’ve never watched either on the edge of my seat or yelling at the screen.  Although, there have been many times I thought bob [BLEEP] up.  But, no.  He didn’t.   My favorite part was when he’d clean his brush.

(02-20-2022, 08:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 01:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Curling is the Bob Ross of sporting events.

My nephew just got married.  Turns out his new wife curled (is that the right word?) for the Swiss national women's curling team that won the world championship in 2015 and 2019.  So now we have a world champion curler in our family.

Sure, and my uncle is Franz Klammer

(02-22-2022, 10:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 08:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My nephew just got married.  Turns out his new wife curled (is that the right word?) for the Swiss national women's curling team that won the world championship in 2015 and 2019.  So now we have a world champion curler in our family.

Sure, and my uncle is Franz Klammer

I lol’d

In all seriousness, my grandad baby sat the Monaco princess lady.  Grace something-another.