Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Early offseason Edition

This has been a bit of an eventful week in the AFC South

The division champion Tennessee, having been bounced from the playoffs on their own home turf, discovered that Aaron Rodgers said he might be willing to play for them.  While NOBODY outside of tack town wants that to happen, the Salary Cap would likely preclude that.  At present, if the tacks cut Tannehill, he would be something like a $57 million cap hit factoring in dead money.  Also, LT Taylor Lewan stated he would consider retirement if the Tacks were to cut him.

In Indy, the Colts lost their defensive coordinator, Matt Eberflus, who became the new head coach of the Chicago Bears.  After a search that involved an interview of former Jaguars' defensive coordinator Joe Cullen, the Colts settled on another former Jaguar-Gus Bradley-to fill that role.

Meanwhile in Houston, the search continues for their next head coach after they fired David Culley after one year at the helm.  Amonf those who have interviewed for the job is dormer NFL journeyman QB Josh McCown.  Notably, he has ZERO NFL or college coaching experience.  He was coaching on the high school level.

Finally, after an exhaustive (and exhausting) search, the Jacksonville Jaguars named former Eagles Super Bowl winning coach Doug Pederson as the 7th non interim head coach in team history.  The press conference will be later today.  There has been speculation that former Vikings' GM Rick Spielman will also join the Jaguars in a capacity that would reduce Trent Baalke's influence, but we shall see.  Hope springs eternal.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 08:43 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-05-2022, 05:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This has been a bit of an eventful week in the AFC South

The division champion Tennessee, having been bounced from the playoffs on their own home turf, discovered that Aaron Rodgers said he might be willing to play for them.  While NOBODY outside of tack town wants that to happen, the Salary Cap would likely preclude that.  At present, if the tacks cut Tannehill, he would be something like a $57 million cap hit factoring in dead money.  Also, LT Taylor Lewan stated he would consider retirement if the Tacks were to cut him.

In Indy, the Colts lost their defensive coordinator, Matt Eberflus, who became the new head coach of the Chicago Bears.  After a search that involved an interview of former Jaguars' defensive coordinator Joe Cullen, the Colts settled on another former Jaguar-Gus Bradley-to fill that role.

Meanwhile in Houston, the search continues for their next head coach after they fired David Culley after one year at the helm.  Amonf those who have interviewed for the job is dormer NFL journeyman QB Josh McCown.  Notably, he has ZERO NFL or college coaching experience.  He was coaching on the high school level.

Finally, after an exhaustive (and exhausting) search, the Jacksonville Jaguars named former Eagles Super Bowl winning coach Doug Pederson as the 7th non interim head coach in team history.  The press conference will be later today.  There has been speculation that former Vikings' GM Rick Spielman will also join the Jaguars in a capacity that would reduce Trent Baalke's influence, but we shall see.  Hope springs eternal.

Certainly would be humorous if Rodgers went to the tacks right after Henry had an injury that makes him ordinary, and they had to do crazy things with the salary cap to get him resulting in a situation where they can't keep any of their decent players past this year. Of course they bounce out of the playoffs again because Rodgers is a playoffs choker, too.

(02-05-2022, 08:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 05:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This has been a bit of an eventful week in the AFC South

Certainly would be humorous if Rodgers went to the tacks right after Henry had an injury that makes him ordinary, and they had to do crazy things with the salary cap to get him resulting in a situation where they can't keep any of their decent players past this year. Of course they bounce out of the playoffs again because Rodgers is a playoffs choker, too.

It's pretty amusing to see the Tacks and Colts have a crisis of quarterbacking now, where they were confident at the position before.

Both are faced with the possibility that their seemingly solid teams will be wasted because they don't have the right guys under center.

We've seen the Colts give up a first and 3rd round pick to try to resolve the issue, only to have it blow up in their faces against us.  Meanwhile, the tacks had a similarly catastrophic meltdown at the position-this time in the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how desperate they get to fill the position as their windows of opportunity close faster and faster, and how they will ruin their teams as a result.

(02-05-2022, 11:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 08:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Certainly would be humorous if Rodgers went to the tacks right after Henry had an injury that makes him ordinary, and they had to do crazy things with the salary cap to get him resulting in a situation where they can't keep any of their decent players past this year. Of course they bounce out of the playoffs again because Rodgers is a playoffs choker, too.

It's pretty amusing to see the Tacks and Colts have a crisis of quarterbacking now, where they were confident at the position before.

Both are faced with the possibility that their seemingly solid teams will be wasted because they don't have the right guys under center.

We've seen the Colts give up a first and 3rd round pick to try to resolve the issue, only to have it blow up in their faces against us.  Meanwhile, the tacks had a similarly catastrophic meltdown at the position-this time in the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how desperate they get to fill the position as their windows of opportunity close faster and faster, and how they will ruin their teams as a result.

The tannehill contact was very foolish, the Wentz trade was mind-blowingly dumb.

At least the tannehill deal was only money, but the colts also crippled their ability to find someone to replace Wentz. Rodgers to the colts would make a lot more sense than going to the titans. He just needs to force his way out, he should have done it this year. Just say to management, "either you just straight out release me or I show up to camp and make this a season you'll regret," then when they tried to call his bluff show up with a Jalen Ramsey style back injury for the whole year, or just go into the games and don't try to win, maybe even start bringing a lot of unwanted attention to illegal things they do (pretty sure every team does tons of stuff that they don't want getting out). I don't see why someone like him would be interested in allowing them cripple his next team with an exorbitant trade when he can make the team do what he wants.

(02-05-2022, 12:17 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 11:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's pretty amusing to see the Tacks and Colts have a crisis of quarterbacking now, where they were confident at the position before.

The tannehill contact was very foolish, the Wentz trade was mind-blowingly dumb.

At least the tannehill deal was only money, but the colts also crippled their ability to find someone to replace Wentz. Rodgers to the colts would make a lot more sense than going to the titans. He just needs to force his way out, he should have done it this year. Just say to management, "either you just straight out release me or I show up to camp and make this a season you'll regret," then when they tried to call his bluff show up with a Jalen Ramsey style back injury for the whole year, or just go into the games and don't try to win, maybe even start bringing a lot of unwanted attention to illegal things they do (pretty sure every team does tons of stuff that they don't want getting out). I don't see why someone like him would be interested in allowing them cripple his next team with an exorbitant trade when he can make the team do what he wants.
In Houston, it seems Josh McCown is one of two finalists for the Texans job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ead-coach/

(02-06-2022, 09:19 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 12:17 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The tannehill contact was very foolish, the Wentz trade was mind-blowingly dumb.

In Houston, it seems Josh McCown is one of two finalists for the Texans job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ead-coach/

As of this morning, it's looking like Josh McCown is out of the running, and it appears lovie Smith will be their next coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texan...ut-of-mix/

While I'm not sure Smith is a long term answer for them, I think he would be a decent hire. 

He's taken the Bears to a Super Bowl and would give them a sense of continuity on defense.

That would leave the AFC South with these head coaches:

Doug Pederson
  Muke Vrabek
  Frank Reich
  Lovie Smith

If ranked by accomplishments

1.  Pederson
2.  Smith
3.  Vrabel
4.  Reich

(02-07-2022, 06:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Doug Pederson
  Muke Vrabek
  Frank Reich
  Lovie Smith

1.  Pederson
2.  Smith
3.  Vrabel
4.  Reich

/motion to refer to the tack coach as Muke Vrabek in perpetuity. Big Grin

(02-07-2022, 11:18 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 06:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

Doug Pederson
  Muke Vrabek
  Frank Reich
  Lovie Smith

1.  Pederson
2.  Smith
3.  Vrabel
4.  Reich

/motion to refer to the tack coach as Muke Vrabek in perpetuity. Big Grin

D'oh!

Actually, there are quite a few things I'd like to call Vrabel and all the tacks.

(02-07-2022, 12:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 11:18 AM)Mikey Wrote: /motion to refer to the tack coach as Muke Vrabek in perpetuity. Big Grin

D'oh!

Actually, there are quite a few things I'd like to call Vrabel and all the tacks.

I still say and type "darft" thanks to the old school jungle. It's really bad when I'm working on draft documents at work, everyone thinks I'm a poor speller. Big Grin 
(just don't call me mukey and we're good)

(02-07-2022, 04:30 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 12:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: D'oh!

I still say and type "darft" thanks to the old school jungle. It's really bad when I'm working on draft documents at work, everyone thinks I'm a poor speller. Big Grin 
(just don't call me mukey and we're good)

I think that was my typo that started that.   Laughing Confused Cry