Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Christian Kirk, Jags newest WR

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 08:34 PM by jj82284.)

(03-15-2022, 08:06 PM)Protozoa Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 03:32 AM)jj82284 Wrote: AMEN!

The more I think about this move, the angrier I become.  Frankly I think it's indefensible.  Why?  Because its not just signing Kirk, its signaling that DJ Chark is going to be playing somewhere else next season.  Excuse me?  

DJ Chark has a thousand Yard season as an outside the numbers receiver with limited QB play and no other real threat around him.  Christian Kirk played in the slot with two first ballot Hall of famers on the outside with a good young QB.  DJ Chark is a better football player than him right now, and there's no question that Chark has the greater upside.  

We just committed 72 million dollars on a slot receiver and were going to ask him to be productive against Teams best corners?  Good luck with that!

Kirk was 18 yards from 1000 yards last year it's not like he's missed it by a mile. Chark was 8 yards over 1000.

Kirk had his best year last year as the 3rd option. Charks 1000 yard season was 3 years ago as the only option on the team and has done very little since.

I would rather pay the guy who looks like their on the up swing on their career then a guy who's chasing a previous season.

Extra game, better qb, literally two hall of famers to draw coverage.   

Not to mention. Go look at the list of fa receivers who get paid like this.  This signing is PURELY INDEFENSIBLE.

(03-15-2022, 08:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 08:06 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Kirk was 18 yards from 1000 yards last year it's not like he's missed it by a mile. Chark was 8 yards over 1000.

Kirk had his best year last year as the 3rd option. Charks 1000 yard season was 3 years ago as the only option on the team and has done very little since.

I would rather pay the guy who looks like their on the up swing on their career then a guy who's chasing a previous season.

I'd like to pay them both since Chark would be the closest thing to an X receiver on the team and Kirk is certain to work primarily from the Y.

Thank u!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I liked the interview with his receivers coach on 1010xl today.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 09:35 PM by Protozoa.)

(03-15-2022, 08:33 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 08:06 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Kirk was 18 yards from 1000 yards last year it's not like he's missed it by a mile. Chark was 8 yards over 1000.

Extra game, better qb, literally two hall of famers to draw coverage.   

Not to mention. Go look at the list of fa receivers who get paid like this.  This signing is PURELY INDEFENSIBLE.

(03-15-2022, 08:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd like to pay them both since Chark would be the closest thing to an X receiver on the team and Kirk is certain to work primarily from the Y.

Thank u!

Still averaged similar yards per game as Chark with the extra game. The contract is an over pay for sure but it's on par with what Robert Woods got, it's really not that crazy.

(03-15-2022, 08:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I'd like to pay them both since Chark would be the closest thing to an X receiver on the team and Kirk is certain to work primarily from the Y.

I don't disagree but that would imply that Chark wanted to be here which it's likely he didn't. The Zay Jones contract is far worse then this one and it's not even close.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

There has been way too much Robert Woods slander around here. He is WAY WAY better than Kirk.

(03-15-2022, 10:21 PM)Upper Wrote: There has been way too much Robert Woods slander around here. He is WAY WAY better than Kirk.

This is said with the benefit of hindsight. remember now, Robert Woods was given a mega contract by the Rams, at the time it was considered a HUGE overpay but he ended up living up to the contract and then some. When Robert Woods was in buffalo his best year was 699 yards ... now even with the extra game Kirk posted just shy of 1k. Kirk has proven more in his first stop than Woods did, time will tell but I expect a similar trajectory to Woods; it may be a while (remember again; Woods didn't post a 1k year until his SECOND year with the Rams).

Also given Woods injury history there's an argument to be made that the comp to Kirk is closer than you think because the best ability is availability.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 10:43 PM by Eric1. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-15-2022, 10:21 PM)Upper Wrote: There has been way too much Robert Woods slander around here. He is WAY WAY better than Kirk.

Is he though? Comparing both of their first 4 years, it's very similar. There's no reason why Kirk can't continue to get better like Woods did.

Woods - 345 targets, 203 rec, 2451 rec yards, 12 TD, 12.1 yards per and 122 1st downs in 57 games.

Kirk - 358 targets, 236 rec, 2902 rec yards, 17 TD, 12.3 yards per and 126 1st downs in 56 games.

Pete Prisco said he was good with the signing, because the Jags are paying for what they think Kirk will become, not what he's already done. Compared it to when the Jags overpaid for Keenan McCardell.

While I would have preferred to sign Allen Robinson and Chark, at least the Jags are being aggressive this off-season and trying to change things up, because what they've been doing obviously isn't working...

(03-15-2022, 10:40 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Is he though? Comparing both of their first 4 years, it's very similar. There's no reason why Kirk can't continue to get better like Woods did.

Woods - 345 targets, 203 rec, 2451 rec yards, 12 TD, 12.1 yards per and 122 1st downs in 57 games.

Kirk - 358 targets, 236 rec, 2902 rec yards, 17 TD, 12.3 yards per and 126 1st downs in 56 games.

Kirk is a better player 4 years into his career than Woods was.  Woods was average in Buffalo

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 10:59 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-15-2022, 10:40 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

He also didn't get the big payday after his first 4 seasons, he just signed that deal last year after he proved to be a fringe WR1 for the Rams for years.

If you want to try to compare Woods and Kirk's contracts then Kirk deserved something in the 5/34 deal that Woods got after year 4, plus inflation.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 11:24 PM by Eric1.)

(03-15-2022, 10:58 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 10:40 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Is he though? Comparing both of their first 4 years, it's very similar. There's no reason why Kirk can't continue to get better like Woods did.

He also didn't get the big payday after his first 4 seasons, he just signed that deal last year after he proved to be a fringe WR1 for the Rams for years.

If you want to try to compare Woods and Kirk's contracts then Kirk deserved something in the 5/34 deal that Woods got after year 4, plus inflation.

It's already well known that Kirk is getting paid for future possible potential. Woods signed that first contract with the Rams 5 years ago. The salary cap in 2017 was $167m. The cap this year is $208m. Prices have only gone up, up, up.

Other teams were obviously offering a good amount for Kirk as well, or the price wouldn't have been that high. We all know it's overpay, but that's the nature of the game when you've been a losing franchise for the past 15 years. Players aren't going to sign here on discounts. Gonna have to pony up the cash.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2022, 04:08 AM by jj82284.)

(03-15-2022, 08:52 PM)Newton Wrote: I liked the interview with his receivers coach on 1010xl today.

Really, I thought it was pretty clear that he said Kirk was an elite slot that could make plays outside.  I didn't get the ringing endorsement that this was a true split end, just waiting to find his wings.

(03-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 10:58 PM)Upper Wrote: He also didn't get the big payday after his first 4 seasons, he just signed that deal last year after he proved to be a fringe WR1 for the Rams for years.

It's already well known that Kirk is getting paid for future possible potential. Woods signed that first contract with the Rams 5 years ago. The salary cap in 2017 was $167m. The cap this year is $208m. Prices have only gone up, up, up.

Other teams were obviously offering a good amount for Kirk as well, or the price wouldn't have been that high. We all know it's overpay, but that's the nature of the game when you've been a losing franchise for the past 15 years. Players aren't going to sign here on discounts. Gonna have to pony up the cash.

I wouldn't have signed woods either.  FA for wide receivers in general is a fools errand.  Draft a kid in the third round and teach him to run option routes.

(03-15-2022, 07:46 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 07:43 PM)jj82284 Wrote: 1.) Everyone can get rolled up in a pile.  He didn't have a history of chronic injury before a freak bone break.  

2.)  Christian kirk hasn't played outside period!

In some offense's the inside receiver is the #1 receiver.   I don't understand why they payed Kirk that much but they must have some plan.

....I don't think we're allowed to be optomistic or delay angst around here. Be careful.

(03-16-2022, 04:06 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 08:52 PM)Newton Wrote: I liked the interview with his receivers coach on 1010xl today.

Really, I thought it was pretty clear that he said Kirk was an elite slot that could make plays outside.  I didn't get the ringing endorsement that this was a true split end, just waiting to find his wings.

(03-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It's already well known that Kirk is getting paid for future possible potential. Woods signed that first contract with the Rams 5 years ago. The salary cap in 2017 was $167m. The cap this year is $208m. Prices have only gone up, up, up.

I wouldn't have signed woods either.  FA for wide receivers in general is a fools errand.  Draft a kid in the third round and teach him to run option routes.
Wait. It's that easy?! 

What are you doing posting on a message board?! Get out there and coach in the NFL!

Good gravy the way some of y'all are carrying on you'd think the team was siphoning money from your kids' college funds to pay these deals.

If it makes the team better, so flippin what if we were generous to sign the guys that got the ball rolling. So long as we aren't cutting guys like TLaw to keep guys like Taven Bryan or J. Taylor, what does it harm you, at the end of the day? Did I miss where the board is going to award a trophy to the most miserable poster?

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2022, 05:51 PM by jj82284. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-16-2022, 08:50 AM)Mikey Wrote: Good gravy the way some of y'all are carrying on you'd think the team was siphoning money from your kids' college funds to pay these deals.

If it makes the team better, so flippin what if we were generous to sign the guys that got the ball rolling. So long as we aren't cutting guys like TLaw to keep guys like Taven Bryan or J. Taylor, what does it harm you, at the end of the day? Did I miss where the board is going to award a trophy to the most miserable poster?

I'm generally bullish on the class, I just hate what they did @ receiver.  

And the money is CAP SPACE for MY TEAM!  

As of now, we might have to cut down players to sign the draft class.  That's with our starting LT and best pas rusher on short term deals!  Football is a capped sport and it goes FAST!

(03-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 10:58 PM)Upper Wrote: He also didn't get the big payday after his first 4 seasons, he just signed that deal last year after he proved to be a fringe WR1 for the Rams for years.

WR salaries have definitely gone through the roof the past few seasons, even moreso than most other positions aside from QB.  It's rare that players live up to big contracts like this - expectations are always over the top.  Hopefully Kirk will at least make a good push toward being this valuable to the team.

I read a tweet somewhere that Chark was offered a 1year/7million prove it deal here.  That is like "go away" money considering his potential.  After signing a 1yr/10mil deal with the lions, I find it hard to believe Chark wouldn't have taken a 1yr/12mil deal with no state income tax with the Jags - I believe many here and elsewhere speculated that that number would have been fair.  I'd feel better about this Kirk signing if we had pulled Chark back in with him, especially since it appears DJ wouldn't have been terribly expensive.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it... Hopefully it magically works out.

(03-16-2022, 09:55 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It's already well known that Kirk is getting paid for future possible potential. Woods signed that first contract with the Rams 5 years ago. The salary cap in 2017 was $167m. The cap this year is $208m. Prices have only gone up, up, up.

WR salaries have definitely gone through the roof the past few seasons, even moreso than most other positions aside from QB.  It's rare that players live up to big contracts like this - expectations are always over the top.  Hopefully Kirk will at least make a good push toward being this valuable to the team.

I read a tweet somewhere that Chark was offered a 1year/7million prove it deal here.  That is like "go away" money considering his potential.  After signing a 1yr/10mil deal with the lions, I find it hard to believe Chark wouldn't have taken a 1yr/12mil deal with no state income tax with the Jags - I believe many here and elsewhere speculated that that number would have been fair.  I'd feel better about this Kirk signing if we had pulled Chark back in with him, especially since it appears DJ wouldn't have been terribly expensive.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it... Hopefully it magically works out.
I'm still excited about Kirk but if they had DJ as well, it would be pretty awesome. It would free them up to be a little more flexible in the draft and more importantly, pick 33. #1 is essentially Hutchinson at this point but #33 should be an outside WR. As others have stated, I hope some of these WRs fall in the draft and the Jags trade up for one.

(03-16-2022, 09:42 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 08:50 AM)Mikey Wrote: Good gravy the way some of y'all are carrying on you'd think the team was siphoning money from your kids' college funds to pay these deals.

I'm generally bullish on the class, I just hate what they did @ receiver.  

aa of now we might have to cut down players to sign the draft class.  That's with our starting LT and best pas rusher on short term deals!  Football is a capped sport and it hoes FAST!
Salary cap isn't real.....

https://twitter.com/DeanJones_/status/15...NaJzOnUXdA

(03-16-2022, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 09:42 AM)jj82284 Wrote: I'm generally bullish on the class, I just hate what they did @ receiver.  

aa of now we might have to cut down players to sign the draft class.  That's with our starting LT and best pas rusher on short term deals!  Football is a capped sport and it hoes FAST!
Salary cap isn't real.....

The salary cap is real, for sure, but there are ways to do the accounting for salaries that fall within the rules.  

I know there are a lot of sports commentators, including local ones, who like the say "the salary cap isn't real," but that's just intellectual laziness or lack of understanding.  It's very real.

(03-16-2022, 10:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Salary cap isn't real.....

The salary cap is real, for sure, but there are ways to do the accounting for salaries that fall within the rules.  

I know there are a lot of sports commentators, including local ones, who like the say "the salary cap isn't real," but that's just intellectual laziness or lack of understanding.  It's very real.
I wouldn't call it lazy but more like a quick way to say that the cap is easily manipulated and it rarely keeps a team from signing someone it wants. 

Call it whatever you want but it's extremely easy to get your cap number down so to say "the cap goes fast" is just shortsighted.