Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colts trade Rock Ya-Sin for Yannick Ngakoue

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 06:02 AM by Bullseye. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-10-2022, 11:04 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 06:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: These quotes are from the article you cited.

(Emphasis added)

(Emphasis added)

Both of these quotes indicate he takes at least some responsibility in his departures.

What should be of greater concern is NOT his alleged lack of personal responsibility, but the fact that some three years after he was traded, we STILL haven't replaced the production of a guy most fans here stated overvalued himself.

What SHOULD be of greater concern is in the two seasons we didn't have him on the team at all after we traded him, we've won a total of FOUR (4) games.

What SHOULD be of greater concern is once again, the team has used two premium draft choice on reaches for guys the team hoped would replace his productivity (Chaisson and Walker).

What's interesting is that the people dismissing Ngakoue and Ramsey for asking for too much money have applauded paying Christian Kirk his contract.

It seems the crime isn't being overpaid...but being outspoken.

I'm not sure why we have to continue doing PR damage control for two players with bad attitudes just because they are talented.  But, ok.

The first quote you cite is not him taking responsibility.  It's him defending himself after the fact and continuing to blame the Jags for his lack of a deal.  And the second quote is not him taking responsibility.  It's him making an excuse. "Ngakoue spoke about a troubled relationship with the Jacksonville Jaguars' ownership, which contributed to him not being able to land a long-term deal as a free agent."  Still blame shifting.  That's the opposite of taking responsibility. The fact remains he has not been able to stick anywhere.  Since nothing in the article shows he has significantly matured in the last two years or so, I have no reason to believe he'll stick in Indy, either.  I wonder if that will Shad's and Tony's fault, too?

Since the player's words are not really defensible, you shift to whataboutism.  Fortunately, the options you present are not mutually exclusive.  I've bemoaned the ineptitude of talent acquisition under the Caldwell regime in the last two days.  And let's be honest.  The reason we've only won 4 games in two years is not because we lost Ngakoue and Ramsey.  It's because the roster was otherwise hollow and we had a putrid offense.  We had a front office and coaching staff that were, by and large, the gang who couldn't shoot straight.  

The issue I raised is not that I was afraid the two players would get paid.  Both of them would have and should have.  But Ngakoue thought he was worth more than was on the table and lashed out publicly at ownership.  That's just dumb in addition to being disrespectful. He is a good complementary piece, not a center piece.  The last two seasons prove that.  My issue was that they had belligerent attitudes and that Ramsey specifically had behavior detrimental to the team.  It seems obvious he set a poor precedent and Ngakoue fully imbibed of it.  Turns out that he cost himself the millions he could have made here, the place he could have had on the team and in the city, and the embrace of a fanbase that is predisposed to liking and supporting their good players (and their average ones, too).

So even though you got there completely wrongly, you are right.  The crime was never the money.  It was always about the vocal belligerence and classless stance towards the team and owners.
It's not PR damage control.

The very quotes YOU provided demonstrated some degree of contrition by Ngakoue.  I don't know how you can completely gloss over the whole "I didn't do my research" quote, other than to continue to grind axes against players who were productive for us yet are no longer here.  He didn't say "The Ravens didn't do their research," though if he were truly not a scheme fit for him, they should know as well...right?  Since they have had coaching and schematic continuity for over a decade, they would know better than Ngakoue would whether he would be a scheme fit or not.  Yet according to the quote YOU provided, he didn't blame the Ravens at all.

Was it poor form for him to lash out at ownership?  Sure.  But it's not as if the current Jaguars' ownership is immune from criticism here.  This is an ownership that has employed Mike Mularkey, Gud Bradley and Urban Meyer!  What...was Rich Kotite not available?!?  Baalke had a awful reputation way back when he was in San Francisco.  Khan hired him anyway.  As a result of these and many more poor decisions by Khan, Jaguars FANS have joined Ngakoue in poor form by creating clown emojis and attending a game with various clown costumes to describe the ownership. Since Khan has owned the team, they've had top FIVE picks SEVEN (7) times-which excludes the 2012 trade up for Blackmon-as well as two other top tean draft picks (Josh Allen and CJ Henderson.  You could argue that the team's ineptitude from the ownership perspective contributed to the failure of the Lot J proposal, which not only threatened the Jaguars' viability in Jacksonville but the revitalization of downtown Jacksonville as a whole.  If Ngakoue were truly overrated and not worth what he was asking, then his productivity should easily have been replaced by this team.  Pointing out what should be obvious is not "whataboutism."  In football, negotiations go bad plenty of times.  Players who don't get what they want from their employers end of bashing the team in one form or another.  It happens. Even this year, we've seen Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown demand trades from their teams, with Brown managing to force his way out of Tennessee. What is atypical, however, is the Jaguars' record of on field ineptitude under Khan.  There's only a few teams in league history who have earned the top overall pick in back to back years.  The Jaguars under Khan are one of those teams, and they earned that status by absolutely blowing the draft in many instances, and in the few instances we actually hit on draft picks, they do little to nothing to retain them.  Ramsey is a bad person, yada yada yada.  Ngakoue wanted too much money, doesn't play the run, yada yada yada.  Taking all of those allegations/assertions as complete truth, neither one of them are considered the very worst in the league at their positions.  Since their departure form the Jaguars, both of them have been on playoff teams or better.  Undeniably, the Jaguars cannot credibly say they have been better off ob the field without Ngakoue or Ramsey.  The Jaguars' fans should be the recipient of your scorn for bad mouthing the organization.  The FO should be the recipient of your scorn for putting out such a poor product so consistently for so many years.  The fans are still here (remarkably) and the team;s ownership is still here.  Ngakoue is long gone.  Put that angst where it belongs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-10-2022, 06:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-08-2022, 09:08 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Ngakoue still crying and blaming others for why he can't stick with a team.  Dude has some talent.  But neither he nor his agent recognize that he's a really good complementary piece, not an alpha dog.  https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colt...titans-87/

These quotes are from the article you cited.

Quote:"When I felt like I was getting disrespected...I was vocal about it.  Which I fewlt like led to this situation. ...I guess I left a bad taste in people's mouth."
(Emphasis added)

Quote:Where I messed up, is I didn't do my research on what kind of scheme they ran."  
(Emphasis added)

Both of these quotes indicate he takes at least some responsibility in his departures.

What should be of greater concern is NOT his alleged lack of personal responsibility, but the fact that some three years after he was traded, we STILL haven't replaced the production of a guy most fans here stated overvalued himself.

What SHOULD be of greater concern is in the two seasons we didn't have him on the team at all after we traded him, we've won a total of FOUR (4) games.

What SHOULD be of greater concern is once again, the team has used two premium draft choice on reaches for guys the team hoped would replace his productivity (Chaisson and Walker).

What's interesting is that the people dismissing Ngakoue and Ramsey for asking for too much money have applauded paying Christian Kirk his contract.

I'd say it's a little lenient to say those quotes are taking responsibility.

The first quote sounds like the old "I am sorry that people were offended" type of pseudo-apology. It's as dismissive as one can get without just owning their words irrespective of others' reaction to them. The second statement is seemingly laying part of the blame on scheme rather than the player in the scheme; it may be a player coming to terms with their own pursuit of maximum pay not yielding the best results, but it can also be that the player is not seen as vital enough for the team to either rework the scheme (as we have done with Josh Allen) or to avoid seeking other players who are either more affordable, better fits, or both (Myles Jack).

I'll admit his statements aren't brazen denial that he is in no way part of the equation that leads to his frequent change of teams, but I can't say I see this as a guy who is humbled and turning a corner into a more mature stance on his prospective career remaining.

(05-11-2022, 10:13 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 06:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: These quotes are from the article you cited.

(Emphasis added)

(Emphasis added)

I'd say it's a little lenient to say those quotes are taking responsibility.

The first quote sounds like the old "I am sorry that people were offended" type of pseudo-apology. It's as dismissive as one can get without just owning their words irrespective of others' reaction to them. The second statement is seemingly laying part of the blame on scheme rather than the player in the scheme; it may be a player coming to terms with their own pursuit of maximum pay not yielding the best results, but it can also be that the player is not seen as vital enough for the team to either rework the scheme (as we have done with Josh Allen) or to avoid seeking other players who are either more affordable, better fits, or both (Myles Jack).

I'll admit his statements aren't brazen denial that he is in no way part of the equation that leads to his frequent change of teams, but I can't say I see this as a guy who is humbled and turning a corner into a more mature stance on his prospective career remaining.

I don't see what's so "lenient" about the second quote where he admits he didn't do his research about Baltimore.

What do you expect him to do?  Wear sackcloth?!?

When the relationship between Ngakoue and the Jaguars deteriorated, fans on this board stated they were ready to move on from him.  He's been traded.  The team moved on from him.  Yet the Ngakoue bashing continues.

The hiring of Urban Meyer alone led to far more embarrassment and angst for Jaguars fans than Ngakoue has his entire career.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with that Iowa strength and conditioning coach. 

Ngakoue had nothing to do with bringing Tebow aboard.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Urban Meyer staying behind after the Bengals game and the subsequent videos and false denials.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Urban Meyer's lies about Robinson's carries or Cisco's playing time.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Urban Meyer not knowing who Aaron Donald is.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Meyer kicking Josh Lambo and the subsequent lawsuit that continues to heap more scorn, ridicule and bad publicity on this organization from the national media months after UM was dismissed.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with the complete lack of development amongst the Jaguars rookies last year.

Ngakoue had no responsibility whatsoever for the combined FOUR (4) wins this team has amassed the last two seasons.

Ngakoue had no responsibility whatsoever for the at times painfully protracted coaching search, nor does he have any responsibility for Khan's refusal to fire Baalke and his refusal to add an EVP over him when he said he would.

Know who has responsibility for all of those things happening?

Khan.

Yet Ngakoue is more of a villain in some eyes than Khan, Baalke or Meyer.

It makes no sense at all.

I don't get the Ngakoue hate either.
Great contributor while here that took offense to how his retention/contract was being handled and eventually decided to try and maximize his potential payday elsewhere. Didn't work out well for him and losing him hurt our defensive performance.

It was a lose/lose situation.

(05-11-2022, 06:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't get the Ngakoue hate either.
Great contributor while here that took offense to how his retention/contract was being handled and eventually decided to try and maximize his potential payday elsewhere.  Didn't work out well for him and losing him hurt our defensive performance.

It was a lose/lose situation.

Exactly!

(05-11-2022, 06:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 10:13 AM)Mikey Wrote: I'd say it's a little lenient to say those quotes are taking responsibility.

I don't see what's so "lenient" about the second quote where he admits he didn't do his research about Baltimore.

What do you expect him to do?  Wear sackcloth?!?

When the relationship between Ngakoue and the Jaguars deteriorated, fans on this board stated they were ready to move on from him.  He's been traded.  The team moved on from him.  Yet the Ngakoue bashing continues.

The hiring of Urban Meyer alone led to far more embarrassment and angst for Jaguars fans than Ngakoue has his entire career.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with that Iowa strength and conditioning coach. 

Ngakoue had nothing to do with bringing Tebow aboard.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Urban Meyer staying behind after the Bengals game and the subsequent videos and false denials.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Urban Meyer's lies about Robinson's carries or Cisco's playing time.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Urban Meyer not knowing who Aaron Donald is.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with Meyer kicking Josh Lambo and the subsequent lawsuit that continues to heap more scorn, ridicule and bad publicity on this organization from the national media months after UM was dismissed.

Ngakoue had nothing to do with the complete lack of development amongst the Jaguars rookies last year.

Ngakoue had no responsibility whatsoever for the combined FOUR (4) wins this team has amassed the last two seasons.

Ngakoue had no responsibility whatsoever for the at times painfully protracted coaching search, nor does he have any responsibility for Khan's refusal to fire Baalke and his refusal to add an EVP over him when he said he would.

Know who has responsibility for all of those things happening?

Khan.

Yet Ngakoue is more of a villain in some eyes than Khan, Baalke or Meyer.

It makes no sense at all.

I wasn't bashing the dude, and I don't hold former players in greater contempt for subsequent failures.
Like I said, it's a step, but the statements he made in the ways they were phrased were responsibility-adjacent. That's fine. I'm glad he's taking the time to reflect, and maybe it makes him a better teammate and player 15 weeks out of the season.

The article Yoda cited was specific to Ngakoue. Had nothing at all to do with Meyer, Baalke, Tebow, Doyle, Derrick Harvey, RJ Soward or any of the myriad other reasons we have to lament our fandom. I understand completely how folks can be bitter about how his time with the team ended. In the long run, it probably bit him in the shorts. In the short run, a successful player told the team we all hold dear that no money could convince him to play here. That hurts. Again, that's fine.

We have plenty to be upset about, it's been a loooooooong time since we've had a string of good fortune. The scapegoats along that timeline are numerous. There will be plenty opportunity to bash the others when their stories hit the news.

whether he is expressing he has some part of his frequent moves or not really doesnt matter. If he was a top tier player worthy of his salary and/or not over valuing himself , or being negatively vocal about leadership(s) or schemes he was aligned with, he would stick somewhere. Top tier players without big heads and mouths dont get passed around every time the wind blows.

(05-12-2022, 01:24 PM)wrong_box Wrote: whether he is expressing he has some part of his frequent moves or not really doesnt matter. If he was a top tier player worthy of his salary and/or  not over valuing himself , or being negatively vocal about leadership(s) or schemes he was aligned with, he would stick somewhere. Top tier players without big heads and mouths dont get passed around every time the wind blows.

On the other hand, were he the complete liability many here have asserted, team after team wouldn't bother to trade for him.  In 2020, he had a combined 8 sacks for Minnesota and Baltimore, and last year for the raiders, he had ten (10) sacks.  Meanwhile, our leading sacker in 2020 had 5.5 sacks (fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year) , and last year, our leading sacker had 7.5 sacks (again, fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year).  None of these so called humble and quiet players produced anything.

In fact, in the DECADE BEFORE Ngakoue got here, only ONE (1) player matched the ten sacks Ngakoue produced last year:  Bobby McCray in 2006.  There were seasons (note the plural) during that time where NO Jaguars player got more than 4 sacks.

Give me an egomaniac who can rush the passer and create turnovers over a humble guy who can't.  

Edge:  Ngakoue.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2022, 10:47 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-12-2022, 08:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 01:24 PM)wrong_box Wrote: whether he is expressing he has some part of his frequent moves or not really doesnt matter. If he was a top tier player worthy of his salary and/or  not over valuing himself , or being negatively vocal about leadership(s) or schemes he was aligned with, he would stick somewhere. Top tier players without big heads and mouths dont get passed around every time the wind blows.

On the other hand, were he the complete liability many here have asserted, team after team wouldn't bother to trade for him.  In 2020, he had a combined 8 sacks for Minnesota and Baltimore, and last year for the raiders, he had ten (10) sacks.  Meanwhile, our leading sacker in 2020 had 5.5 sacks (fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year) , and last year, our leading sacker had 7.5 sacks (again, fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year).  None of these so called humble and quiet players produced anything.

In fact, in the DECADE BEFORE Ngakoue got here, only ONE (1) player matched the ten sacks Ngakoue produced last year:  Bobby McCray in 2006.  There were seasons (note the plural) during that time where NO Jaguars player got more than 4 sacks.

Give me an egomaniac who can rush the passer and create turnovers over a humble guy who can't.  

All you're doing is looking at a sack number.  Yawn is the worst player in the league at his position against the run and why he gets passed around.  Teams bring him in and realize the few extra sacks isn't worth it when he's the worst in the league at his position at stopping the run and a huge liability in that aspect. He's a pass rush specialist but you don't pay 20 mil a year to a player that's a huge liability

(05-16-2022, 10:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 08:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: On the other hand, were he the complete liability many here have asserted, team after team wouldn't bother to trade for him.  In 2020, he had a combined 8 sacks for Minnesota and Baltimore, and last year for the raiders, he had ten (10) sacks.  Meanwhile, our leading sacker in 2020 had 5.5 sacks (fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year) , and last year, our leading sacker had 7.5 sacks (again, fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year).  None of these so called humble and quiet players produced anything.

All you're doing is looking at a sack number.  Yawn is the worst player in the league at his position against the run and why he gets passed around.  Teams bring him in and realize the few extra sacks isn't worth it when he's the worst in the league at his position at stopping the run and a huge liability in that aspect.  He's a pass rush specialist but you don't pay 20 mil a year to a player that's a huge liability

LOL

You realize that coordinators have situational packages for pass rushers, right? 

You clinging to this run defense knock on Ngakoue is making you look bad, dude. Let it go.

(05-16-2022, 12:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 10:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: All you're doing is looking at a sack number.  Yawn is the worst player in the league at his position against the run and why he gets passed around.  Teams bring him in and realize the few extra sacks isn't worth it when he's the worst in the league at his position at stopping the run and a huge liability in that aspect.  He's a pass rush specialist but you don't pay 20 mil a year to a player that's a huge liability

LOL

You realize that coordinators have situational packages for pass rushers, right? 

You clinging to this run defense knock on Ngakoue is making you look bad, dude. Let it go.
Lol, his run D is why he is on 4 teams in 5 years, not to mention him over valueing himself.  If he was even decent at run D we might of offered him what he wanted and he wouldn't be getting traded everywhere he goes.  You do realize no teams have situational pass rushers making 20+ mil a year right?

(05-16-2022, 01:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 12:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Lol, his run D is why he is on 4 teams in 5 years, not to mention him over valueing himself.  If he was even decent at run D we might of offered him what he wanted and he wouldn't be getting traded everywhere he goes.  You do realize no teams have situational pass rushers making 20+ mil a year right?

We've long since established he wanted too much money. 20 mil per year has nothing to do with the current convo, and his 57 tackles for loss says you are grossly hyperbolizing his poor run defense. 

He's still a very good pass rusher and those are valuable in this league. 
Whatever, I'm sure he'll go down in the books like your other silly player-hater takes on Stafford and Ramsey. 
His career numbers already make you look silly and they'll get better over time.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2022, 01:26 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

This is making them look bad for what they say about Yawn and his run D
Lol

https://raiderramble.com/2022/04/22/a-cl...koue-swap/

Josh Allen doesn't have the sacks as Yawn but he is a much better player. I know when I talked about this before you liked to bring up their sack number. Give me Allen any day over Yawn. Josh can win games in multiple was and is also good against the run and no liability. Allen will shine this year with Walker opposite

(05-16-2022, 01:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Josh Allen doesn't have the sacks as Yawn but he is a much better player.  I know when I talked about this before you liked to bring up their sack number.  Give me Allen any day over Yawn.  Josh can win games in multiple was and is also good against the run and no liability.  Allen will shine this year with Walker opposite

You are the only one comparing Ngakoue to Josh Allen. 

Yes Ngakoue produced more pressures and sacks last year than Allen, but that isn't the point of any of this. 

Anyone with a brain knows Allen is a more complete player. 

Hate on.

(05-16-2022, 01:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 01:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Josh Allen doesn't have the sacks as Yawn but he is a much better player.  I know when I talked about this before you liked to bring up their sack number.  Give me Allen any day over Yawn.  Josh can win games in multiple was and is also good against the run and no liability.  Allen will shine this year with Walker opposite

You are the only one comparing Ngakoue to Josh Allen. 

Yes Ngakoue produced more pressures and sacks last year than Allen, but that isn't the point of any of this. 

Hate on.

We have talked about Allen vs Yawn mtiple times and you like to post Yawns sack number to defend him.  Glad you're finally coming around

(05-16-2022, 01:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 01:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You are the only one comparing Ngakoue to Josh Allen. 

Hate on.

We have talked about Allen vs Yawn mtiple times and you like to post Yawns sack number to defend him.  Glad you're finally coming around

You're the only one comparing them. 

Ngakoue pass rush stats speak for themselves. I don't have to compare them. 

Hate on.

(05-16-2022, 02:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 01:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We have talked about Allen vs Yawn mtiple times and you like to post Yawns sack number to defend him.  Glad you're finally coming around

You're the only one comparing them. 

Ngakoue pass rush stats speak for themselves. I don't have to compare them. 

Hate on.

I dont remember anyone saying Yawn wasnt a good pass rusher.  Just like Kelvin Beachum was was a good pass blocker but probably the worst run blacking tackle in the league.  I'm happy that he's not here anymore, you need one that can do both

(05-16-2022, 10:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 08:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: On the other hand, were he the complete liability many here have asserted, team after team wouldn't bother to trade for him.  In 2020, he had a combined 8 sacks for Minnesota and Baltimore, and last year for the raiders, he had ten (10) sacks.  Meanwhile, our leading sacker in 2020 had 5.5 sacks (fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year) , and last year, our leading sacker had 7.5 sacks (again, fewer than Ngakoue's total for the year).  None of these so called humble and quiet players produced anything.

All you're doing is looking at a sack number.  Yawn is the worst player in the league at his position against the run and why he gets passed around.  Teams bring him in and realize the few extra sacks isn't worth it when he's the worst in the league at his position at stopping the run and a huge liability in that aspect.  He's a pass rush specialist but you don't pay 20 mil a year to a player that's a huge liability
1.  While not the only measure of an edge rusher, that is the primary measure of Edge rusher effectiveness/impact.

2.  It's a passing league now, and it has been for decades.  It behooves a defense to be able to rush the passer and create turnovers.

3.  To that end, if you look at the seasons where the Jaguars played like  a contending team, they were able to provide a strong pass rushing presence.  The early Coughlin teams featured guys like Tony Brackens, Jeff Lageman, Clyde Simmons, Joel Smeenge, and, when he was actually sent on a blitz they actually practiced, Kevin Hardy.   In 2017 when we reached our 3rd AFC championship, we had Ngakoue, Campbell and Fowler coming off the edge to offer quality edge rushing.  Conversely, when this team was at its absolute worst, we could offer little to nothing from the edges, even though guys like Jared Odrick were better against the run than Ngakoue. 

4.  If you look at the most memorable, most important and most impactful defensive plays in team history, they typically came from the pass rush.  When we had our first home win in team history, the game clinching play was a sack of Neil O'Donnell.  When we had that cathartic win over our expansion rivals and media darlings the Carolina Panthers, it was Tony Brackens and the pass rush from the edge that was the difference, as Brackens had 2 and a half sacks coming off the bench as a rookie.  The 1998 Monday Night win over the Dolphins was sealed with a Tony Brackens sack, and the defensive play that broke open the 1999 Divisional playoff game against Miami was the Brackens sack, forced fumble, recovered fumble and TD. In that 2017 playoff run, one of the main reasons we beat the Steelers was because Ngakoue forced a Big ben fumble that was scooped and scored by Telvin Smith.    Our wins against Buffalo and Indy last year?  Marked by dominant edge rushing by josh Allen.  Nondescript guys like Odrick, Renaldo Wynn, Alualu, etc., offered almost NIL in terms of momentum changing or game clinching plays during their stays here, because they offered next to nothing in terms of pass rush.

There is ample reason why I focused on sack numbers, but I could also focus on forced fumbles to illustrate the point.  Those plays came from the pass rush.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2022, 04:01 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-16-2022, 06:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 10:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: All you're doing is looking at a sack number.  Yawn is the worst player in the league at his position against the run and why he gets passed around.  Teams bring him in and realize the few extra sacks isn't worth it when he's the worst in the league at his position at stopping the run and a huge liability in that aspect.  He's a pass rush specialist but you don't pay 20 mil a year to a player that's a huge liability
1.  While not the only measure of an edge rusher, that is the primary measure of Edge rusher effectiveness/impact.

2.  It's a passing league now, and it has been for decades.  It behooves a defense to be able to rush the passer and create turnovers.

3.  To that end, if you look at the seasons where the Jaguars played like  a contending team, they were able to provide a strong pass rushing presence.  The early Coughlin teams featured guys like Tony Brackens, Jeff Lageman, Clyde Simmons, Joel Smeenge, and, when he was actually sent on a blitz they actually practiced, Kevin Hardy.   In 2017 when we reached our 3rd AFC championship, we had Ngakoue, Campbell and Fowler coming off the edge to offer quality edge rushing.  Conversely, when this team was at its absolute worst, we could offer little to nothing from the edges, even though guys like Jared Odrick were better against the run than Ngakoue. 

4.  If you look at the most memorable, most important and most impactful defensive plays in team history, they typically came from the pass rush.  When we had our first home win in team history, the game clinching play was a sack of Neil O'Donnell.  When we had that cathartic win over our expansion rivals and media darlings the Carolina Panthers, it was Tony Brackens and the pass rush from the edge that was the difference, as Brackens had 2 and a half sacks coming off the bench as a rookie.  The 1998 Monday Night win over the Dolphins was sealed with a Tony Brackens sack, and the defensive play that broke open the 1999 Divisional playoff game against Miami was the Brackens sack, forced fumble, recovered fumble and TD. In that 2017 playoff run, one of the main reasons we beat the Steelers was because Ngakoue forced a Big ben fumble that was scooped and scored by Telvin Smith.    Our wins against Buffalo and Indy last year?  Marked by dominant edge rushing by josh Allen.  Nondescript guys like Odrick, Renaldo Wynn, Alualu, etc., offered almost NIL in terms of momentum changing or game clinching plays during their stays here, because they offered next to nothing in terms of pass rush.

There is ample reason why I focused on sack numbers, but I could also focus on forced fumbles to illustrate the point.  Those plays came from the pass rush.

I agree pass rushing is most important.  But you cant be a huge liability in the other aspect of the game.  The other team can still run the football and if you have the worst player in the league at stopping the run at his positition its a huge liability.  Hence why he keeps getting traded when they learn the liability.  For the money he asks for you dont sign a player with the liabilty that he brings. If money didnt matter sure bring him out on passing downs but it doesnt work like that

(05-16-2022, 06:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Why not  resign Becham to a huge contract?  Hes one of the best pass blocking tackles in the league and has been since with Pit. but probably the worst run blocking tackle in football and is a huge liabilty there.  Becham gets manhandled and bullied by defenders in the run game, no thank you