Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

Would a good to great draft change anyone's mind? Probably not because the new coach will get the credit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-21-2022, 03:07 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Go to the Political Section and, if you compare the 2, you'll notice that there is a lot more hatred for Baalke than there is for Putin as it relates to some of the members on this message board.

That is sad. Baalke is bad at his job. I want him fired. Putin is a war criminal who murders women and children. I want him taken out by any means necessary. If some people don't see the difference then society is doomed.

(03-21-2022, 06:58 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Would a good to great draft change anyone's mind? Probably not because the new coach will get the credit.

So if Baalke was commanded to go by Myere's desires and to now go by Peterson's desires, it deems him an Bad Evaluator?

Scratching My Head.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(03-21-2022, 07:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 03:07 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Go to the Political Section and, if you compare the 2, you'll notice that there is a lot more hatred for Baalke than there is for Putin as it relates to some of the members on this message board.

That is sad. Baalke is bad at his job. I want him fired. Putin is a war criminal who murders women and children. I want him taken out by any means necessary. If some people don't see the difference then society is doomed.

It is a dumb point bringing this into the thread. Someone just wants to play around and denegrate other people.

Putin is a killer this is stupid football. Why combine the two? Why haven't you changed your sports avatar to the Ukraine flag yet?

No!
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 07:38 PM by Upper. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-21-2022, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd Chalke

I am a bit of a scrubs fan myself.

[Image: Sarah-Chalke.jpg?fit=800%2C600&ssl=1]

(03-21-2022, 07:12 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 06:58 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Would a good to great draft change anyone's mind? Probably not because the new coach will get the credit.

So if Baalke was commanded to go by Myere's desires and to now go by Peterson's desires, it deems him an Bad Evaluator?

Scratching My Head.

NH3...

I'm not a balkie hater. Im not crazy about him either. I was for him not returning, but I'm not angry that it happened either. Hopefully the jags have a good draft.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 08:16 PM by tomfin2022. Edited 3 times in total.)

I’m not ready to say we were too hard on him.  We had a toxic environment, and he has a reputation for being a toxic GM, so I don’t think it was unfair of us to connect the dots.

However, I am am open minded.  He didn’t make any egregious FA signings in 2021, he had a solid draft in 2021, and I thought he brought in a FA class in 2022 that while overpaid, should immediately raise the competency level of the franchise.  In terms of pure job performance, he’s done fairly well, but I still need to see some evidence that he’s grown in terms of not throwing coaches and other co-workers under the bus.

(03-21-2022, 06:50 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 01:59 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I am sticking to his time here as the Jaguars.  His time in SF could be looked at several ways.

I am going to give him the major majority of the credit for this past draft class.  Too many reports have come out to state how obtuse Meyer was.  I read one today where it was reported he had no clue who Aaron Donald was until last year for example.  I have to believe Baalke did the majority of the research on players and ultimately picked players based on his knowledge.  I am sure Urban had some influence but we will never know how much.

Despite the census, this draft class was solid.  Lawrence has franchise guy potential, Little has starter potential, Campbell looks like a Gem, Cisco looks like a baller as well.   ETN could be the marshall faulkish type player with the duo threat.  A solid B at the least.

Baalke being the man goes into this off season with some aggressive moves in free agency. 

1. In the 3-4 Myles Jack is a major liability.  Truth be told he has been average at best since that 2017 season.  Jack wasn't down but his cap wasn't worth the production.  Good move cutting ties.

2. Franchise tag if a long term deal is worked out.   I was against franchising Robinson because it's a rental then we go into next season with a strapped salary cap needing a LT.  I have read reports they are working on a longer deal with Cam.  If they can get a few years of stability at LT then good move.  Little could take that spot but I need to see a bigger sample size.

3.  Reports are Linder is either retiring or being released.  Linder is a good player when healthy.  As Bill Parcells says, "the best ability is availability."   Linder just can't be counted on to make it an entire season.  The head scratcher is we just got Scherff who has the same circumstances.   Hard choice to let him go but I think it's the correct one. 

4. This Free Agent class overall was good.  Arguement could be made we over paid but as the bottom feeders I believe we had too.  People keep harping on the Kirk $20 million dollar deal but there were reports other teams where offering $17 million plus so we were not that far off.   Getting the Lead leader in tacking combined with an athletic tight end we can pair with Arnold I believe this team really got better this offseason. 

I was on the Clown show wanting Baalke fired but I would happily eat crow if this team turns things around.  Both sides of the ball have seen improvement before the draft.

No WE Have Not, but alot of you Clowns has been too hard on Baalke to say the least. Y'all have gone on his past history of the 49ers and even Baalke has said that he's learned from the past. 

Stop w/the CLOWNING and give the man a chance to prove himself. I compare it to being in an job and learning on the fly. You've learned but you don't do as well as your mind set desires. Within your next opportunity in the likewise opportunity, you admit your deficiencies, correct such deficiencies from past lessons BUT you're being judged by your previous opportunity.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

You know, even if you throw out his bad history with San Francisco and in Jacksonville, you think back to the time when everyone wanted him fired . . . not one person in the NFL spoke up on his behalf. No players, no coaches, no other owners, no one in the sports media. Other than Khan, of course. THAT speaks volumes.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

One thing not mentioned above is I believe I read we blew up the scouting department last year. Created a whole new one from scratch? If so that could be the missing link
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-21-2022, 02:57 PM)Newton Wrote: Trading away Henderson was also a great move by Baalke, if we are listing his good moves.

A first round bust from a prior GM that wasn't going to start demands a front office to do something. 

I don't know if I'd call it a "great move." It had to be done and he got a moderate return.  

If Baalke hadn't been such a complete idiot about the TE position in the offseason he could have signed the player he got in that trade for peanuts as a street free agent back in March of '21. 

I guess we'll have to see what comes out of that 3rd round pick to know the real value of that trade.

I don't necessarily think we've been too hard on Baalke, considering most of the criticism focuses around his tenure in SF.

While an argument can be made he's done decently here, thus far, his tenure here has not proven good enough to date to overcome the legitimate criticisms he earned in SF, to say nothign of the legitimate criticisms he's earned here, like the inept approach to free agency here last year, and his continued mishandling of the WR position both in SF and here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We're picking 1st overall again. Which means last year was an epic failure from the coach selection, to the draft picks, to the FA and everything in between. Until we win some games, he will always be a horrible GM. We win 7 or 8 games this year? Then we can talk about everything he did in the off-season that should be applauded. Until this all comes together and pans out, he sucks.
Here we go again

(03-21-2022, 08:29 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 06:50 PM)NH3 Wrote: No WE Have Not, but alot of you Clowns has been too hard on Baalke to say the least. Y'all have gone on his past history of the 49ers and even Baalke has said that he's learned from the past. 

Stop w/the CLOWNING and give the man a chance to prove himself. I compare it to being in an job and learning on the fly. You've learned but you don't do as well as your mind set desires. Within your next opportunity in the likewise opportunity, you admit your deficiencies, correct such deficiencies from past lessons BUT you're being judged by your previous opportunity.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

You know, even if you throw out his bad history with San Francisco and in Jacksonville, you think back to the time when everyone wanted him fired . . . not one person in the NFL spoke up on his behalf. No players, no coaches, no other owners, no one in the sports media. Other than Khan, of course. THAT speaks volumes.

I see your point. Keep in mind though, that 2021 was his first season as our GM. Prior to this season he held another position even though it was a step away from being the GM. He didn't make the decisions. I pray for the sake of our Jaguars that he brings the Much Needed talent to Jacksonville and if he mirrors the 2022 NFL Draft like he did FA. We Good.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 09:30 AM by Mikey.)

Have we been too harsh? Probably. It's what anonymous members of a message board that has no direct input to personnel decisions tend to do.

I ain't gonna say a guy's history doesn't follow him into new ventures and that teams/fans shouldn't be wary of that history repeating. On the same token, guys do have a chance to rehab their image and prove that they've grown from experience.

I think some of the heat/characterization he's taken has been unwarranted. Especially in the realm of turnover, even at SF it's questionable how much say he had in a lot of the moves. Harbs and York clashed on a number of issues, and I think Jim was always more attracted to Michigan than coaching in the NFL. When they separated, rumor was that Tomsula was York's guy, and they end up performing abysmally. Baalke dismissed him, and brought in Chip Kelly, another flop experiment.

I didn't like projecting our turnover on him so much, Dave and Doug were both hanging by a thread by the time he signed on here, and I think everyone can agree that Doug was retained a year too long. Urbz was so flawed I don't know that anyone or anything pertaining to the season can be used for evaluation.

The characterizations can be coincidental, or they can be accurate depictions of his management style. Regardless, I'm willing to see if he can sink or swim now that we've eradicated the most toxic members of the decision makers. There's still skepticism, because we've yet to see a prolonged history of harmony, success and development under his watch.

Like most every other aspect of our team, we are left to wait and see how things progress.

I think it will go a long way toward mending fences.

Just like last season, we really don't know who was steering the course on a lot of decisions, or how much input one person had over the others in the decision making. Everything was supposition on our part, going solely off what Khan described as the leadership structure.

But, as with every draft, you're going to have every individual who likes this player, doesn't like that one, or the other way around; so in some's eyes, the picks may be great, others will be upset, and we'll still have to see who ends up right in the end.

(03-21-2022, 07:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

let's keep the politics in the right thread, please.

Imagine being known as the toxic guy in the room. Then imagine being overshadowed by someone so toxic it would make Chernobyl circa 1986 seem like a simple chemical leak. That might make you wet your pants a little. It may also force an attitude adjustment or make life changes for the better. Either way it was probably (hopefully) a humbling experience for the man. That paired with Pederson being a solid leader will hopefully provide a good return this year.

As NH3 says, time will tell.

Friendly reminder to leave the politics out of the football forums.

Formal warnings will ensue for further political discussion here.

Thanks

(03-22-2022, 11:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Friendly reminder to leave the politics out of the football forums.

Formal warnings will ensue for further political discussion here.

Thanks

Came here to request this lol.  I avoid that forum actively now for a reason.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 12:32 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Maybe make this thread after he has a good draft and a couple of good seasons... and even then, we have to see how much is thanks to Pederson/Trevor.

FA last year was mediocre at best
Draft is still unknown
This year FA looks good but we'll see
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(03-22-2022, 12:31 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Maybe make this thread after he has a good draft and a couple of good seasons... and even then, we have to see how much is thanks to Pederson/Trevor.

FA last year was mediocre at best
Draft is still unknown
This year FA looks good but we'll see

I mean, ideally if the team is wildly successful there won't be any way to tell who is truly responsible because it will run like a well-oiled machine.