Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

(03-22-2022, 01:28 PM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 12:31 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Maybe make this thread after he has a good draft and a couple of good seasons... and even then, we have to see how much is thanks to Pederson/Trevor.

FA last year was mediocre at best
Draft is still unknown
This year FA looks good but we'll see

I mean, ideally if the team is wildly successful there won't be any way to tell who is truly responsible because it will run like a well-oiled machine.

FA last year was mediocre. Marvin Jones, Agnew, Malcolm Brown, and Shaq were good; the rest were meh. 

The draft will be excellent if an elite pass rusher or steel wall left tackle is drafted #1, a true future #1 receiver falls to #33 (or traded up for) and/or a TE drafted in rounds 2-4 makes Engram expendable in 2023-2024. Gravy would then be adding a starting guard or center and another starting linebacker -- by starter, I mean someone who takes over before the season ends.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-23-2022, 09:53 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 01:28 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: I mean, ideally if the team is wildly successful there won't be any way to tell who is truly responsible because it will run like a well-oiled machine.

FA last year was mediocre. Marvin Jones, Agnew, Malcolm Brown, and Shaq were good; the rest were meh. 

The draft will be excellent if an elite pass rusher or steel wall left tackle is drafted #1, a true future #1 receiver falls to #33 (or traded up for) and/or a TE drafted in rounds 2-4 makes Engram expendable in 2023-2024. Gravy would then be adding a starting guard or center and another starting linebacker -- by starter, I mean someone who takes over before the season ends.

That is being extremely generous. I found last year's free agent class to be very underwhelming.

Too early to tell. His reputation around the league is awful. Is that reputation unfair? Who knows. Seems like enough smoke to believe the fire is real. Have we seen any of that toxicity here yet? Too hard to tell based on what happened with Meyer last year.

Let's be real - Baalke is awful. He destroyed the roster in SF, and he sure as hell hasn't made the Jaguars a contender. Overpaying big time in free agency, questionable draft picks - what is there to like?

(03-26-2022, 12:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Let's be real - Baalke is awful.  He destroyed the roster in SF, and he sure as hell hasn't made the Jaguars a contender.  Overpaying big time in free agency, questionable draft picks - what is there to like?

Last year we had all that money and he underspent on "value picks" . . . this year it seems like he overcompensated for that mistake and overspent on some decent picks and a couple questionable ones. 

He probably hears this criticism and thinks, "I can't get it right with these people." And we're saying, "Correct, you can't. Leave."

I still want to hear from some players who played under Barky in Jacksonville and have something positive to say about him. Their silence is deafening.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

Most of you posters are hanging your hats on his effectiveness via SF. Cut the BS and evaluate his effectiveness via our Jaguars.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(03-26-2022, 12:23 PM)NH3 Wrote: Most of you posters are hanging your hats on his effectiveness via SF. Cut the BS and evaluate his effectiveness via our Jaguars.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

It's not been that great either although it's hard to say how much was Meyer. It's also hard to say Baalke's been worse than Caldwell. 

I don't particularly like that he's still around but I was never part of the Twitter brigade against him either. I just want the team to win(more than we've done) and if we don't then it's time for a new GM.

(03-26-2022, 12:23 PM)NH3 Wrote: Most of you posters are hanging your hats on his effectiveness via SF. Cut the BS and evaluate his effectiveness via our Jaguars.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

He's been with the Jaguars for two years and their record was 4-29.  You can argue that he was second in charge to Caldwell and Meyer, but even if so, his job was to advise.  Obviously, his advice wasn't very good.  When you have that type of record, you don't promote from within.  When you add in his terrible job in San Francisco, it is not hard to see a pattern.

(03-26-2022, 12:12 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 12:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Let's be real - Baalke is awful.  He destroyed the roster in SF, and he sure as hell hasn't made the Jaguars a contender.  Overpaying big time in free agency, questionable draft picks - what is there to like?

Last year we had all that money and he underspent on "value picks" . . . this year it seems like he overcompensated for that mistake and overspent on some decent picks and a couple questionable ones. 

He probably hears this criticism and thinks, "I can't get it right with these people." And we're saying, "Correct, you can't. Leave."

I still want to hear from some players who played under Barky in Jacksonville and have something positive to say about him. Their silence is deafening.

Baalke seems to have a dry, no nonsense demeanor, which doesn’t endear him to people who don’t know him. If he were a little more affable, like Caldwell, the perception about him might be different. As long as he’s not getting complaints from the union, ala Coughlin, I’m content to wait and see what he can do this draft.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I don't love Balke, at all. But people blaming him for SF are insane. Almost all of their star players retired, and they also had to deal with the weird crap with Kaepernick.

But. My dislike for Balke comes from the fact that he gave us a draft pick for Blaine Gabbert. That's unforgiveable.

(03-26-2022, 02:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

He's been with the Jaguars for two years and their record was 4-29.  You can argue that he was second in charge to Caldwell and Meyer, but even if so, his job was to advise.  Obviously, his advice wasn't very good.  When you have that type of record, you don't promote from within.  When you add in his terrible job in San Francisco, it is not hard to see a pattern.

Who says it wasn't very good? From the reports over the past few months, I don't think Meyer was very open to other peoples opinions....

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 11:15 AM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-27-2022, 12:11 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 02:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: He's been with the Jaguars for two years and their record was 4-29.  You can argue that he was second in charge to Caldwell and Meyer, but even if so, his job was to advise.  Obviously, his advice wasn't very good.  When you have that type of record, you don't promote from within.  When you add in his terrible job in San Francisco, it is not hard to see a pattern.

Who says it wasn't very good? From the reports over the past few months, I don't think Meyer was very open to other peoples opinions....

So Meyer, who didn't know crap about the NFL, was the one who chose who to sign last year? LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I am sure he also was in charge of the draft picks
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

When Doug Pederson got introduced. He told Baalke in the video “i wasn’t sure if I should wear a tie?!?” And Baalkes reply was “would you wear one golfing? .. then why would you wear one here lol!”

Baalke directly compared being the GM of an NFL team to GOLFING!!!! That to me tells me everything I need to know about his attitude towards this job/GM position. Why on earth would we want someone like that? It just screams “unprofessional” which given the leaks, coach killing, and team record declining year after year every where he’s been. He’s just not cut out for the job of running a PROFESSIONAL Football team!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-27-2022, 11:13 AM)Firesky Wrote: When Doug Pederson got introduced. He told Baalke in the video “i wasn’t sure if I should wear a tie?!?” And Baalkes reply was “would you wear one golfing? .. then why would you wear one here lol!”

Baalke directly compared being the GM of an NFL team to GOLFING!!!! That to me tells me everything I need to know about his attitude towards this job/GM position. Why on earth would we want someone like that? It just screams “unprofessional” which given the leaks, coach killing, and team record declining year after year every where he’s been. He’s just not cut out for the job of running a PROFESSIONAL Football team!

You have to be kidding me.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 01:31 PM by Firesky. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-27-2022, 01:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 11:13 AM)Firesky Wrote: When Doug Pederson got introduced. He told Baalke in the video “i wasn’t sure if I should wear a tie?!?” And Baalkes reply was “would you wear one golfing? .. then why would you wear one here lol!”

You have to be kidding me.

I wish I was. https://youtu.be/WXhGzEtScUM Go to the 3 min. Mark of the video. It’s actually worse bc Baalke brings it up “you look good without the tie!” “Was debating on whether or not I should wear one” “would you wear one golfing? then you shouldn’t wear one here! Haha”

This is in official content posted by the team in their “The Hunt” series. I’m just stunned that they thought putting that clip on there was a good idea. And I’m even more stunned that there isn’t more outrage about it. We could win the Super Bowl this year and I’d still want Baalke gone.

Jacksonville is not a vacation for players coaches and GMs. Hugh Douglas is infamous for his quotes about that. As is Prince Amukamara. We didn’t tolerate it from them so we should tolerate it from our GM?!?!? And we wonder why the culture in the building is a dumpster fire…. This is the tone at the top that’s being set.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-27-2022, 01:24 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You have to be kidding me.

I wish I was. https://youtu.be/WXhGzEtScUM Go to the 3 min. Mark of the video. It’s actually worse bc Baalke brings it up “you look good without the tie!” “Was debating on whether or not I should wear one” “would you wear one golfing? then you shouldn’t wear one here! Haha”

This is in official content posted by the team in their “The Hunt” series. I’m just stunned that they thought putting that clip on there was a good idea. And I’m even more stunned that there isn’t more outrage about it. We could win the Super Bowl this year and I’d still want Baalke gone.

Jacksonville is not a vacation for players coaches and GMs. Hugh Douglas is infamous for his quotes about that. As is Prince Amukamara. We didn’t tolerate it from them so we should tolerate it from our GM. And we wonder why the culture in the building is a dumpster fire…. This is the tone at the top that’s being set.

That's not what I'm talking about...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-27-2022, 01:28 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:24 PM)Firesky Wrote: I wish I was. https://youtu.be/WXhGzEtScUM Go to the 3 min. Mark of the video. It’s actually worse bc Baalke brings it up “you look good without the tie!” “Was debating on whether or not I should wear one” “would you wear one golfing? then you shouldn’t wear one here! Haha”

Jacksonville is not a vacation for players coaches and GMs. Hugh Douglas is infamous for his quotes about that. As is Prince Amukamara. We didn’t tolerate it from them so we should tolerate it from our GM. And we wonder why the culture in the building is a dumpster fire…. This is the tone at the top that’s being set.

That's not what I'm talking about...

Feel free to clarify at any time what you're actually talking about...

I may be overblowing it, but for me it's kind of a "last straw" situation given all the other stuff surrounding him and the upper management of this team. In a vacuum it might not be a big deal but when placed in context with everything else it just shows an apathy for the role that's unbecoming of an NFL general manager.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-27-2022, 01:24 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You have to be kidding me.

Jacksonville is not a vacation for players coaches and GMs. Hugh Douglas is infamous for his quotes about that. As is Prince Amukamara. We didn’t tolerate it from them so we should tolerate it from our GM?!?!? And we wonder why the culture in the building is a dumpster fire…. This is the tone at the top that’s being set.

I want to fire Baalke as much as anyone, but I could really care less about a joke regarding wearing ties.  Just find us good players.

(03-27-2022, 02:37 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:24 PM)Firesky Wrote: I wish I was. https://youtu.be/WXhGzEtScUM Go to the 3 min. Mark of the video. It’s actually worse bc Baalke brings it up “you look good without the tie!” “Was debating on whether or not I should wear one” “would you wear one golfing? then you shouldn’t wear one here! Haha”

I want to fire Baalke as much as anyone, but I could really care less about a joke regarding wearing ties.  Just find us good players.

I get it, I agree as long as the team is improving i'll stay my hand. I don't view it as a "tie joke" for me it's more of a "we're not professional" joke.

Also Free Agency was a success i'd say. But i'm just terrified that we do something nonsensical like drafting Walker from Georgia over Hutch or Thibs bc "athleticism" i'm so worried Baalke repeats the mistake he did with Solomon Thomas drooling over athleticism.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Gotta be quite the contortionist to land a stretch that drastic.

HE COMPARED A PRESSER TO GOLFING. He ain't gonna (nor do I believe he's allowed to) wear a tie on Sunday, and really, are you taking umbrage that our GM tried to ease the new coach's insecurity in his first introduction to the media? Shouldn't that be taken as a welcoming gesture to not sweat the small stuff?

I don't care if either of them show up to a presser in a tutu, spend their Mondays at the driving range, or put in a caviar dispenser in the team cafeteria. As long as they are winning and building a winning roster, who gives a flying fart?