Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Music that doesn't hold up

There are songs and there are whole groups that haven't held up for me over time.

Groups- The Doors and Led Zeppelin. I don't like them at all any more.

Individual songs- Back when I was listening to that type of music, it came in the form of vinyl albums, so you listened to the whole album. Some songs were good and some songs, in hindsight, were crap. The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix- those were some of my favorites, but their albums had some great songs and some crap songs on them. Or The Beatles- Strawberry Fields is a great song. Rocky Raccoon, for example, is pure garbage. But they didn't sell "songs," they sold albums, so you had to take the good with the bad.

I also find that some stuff that I dismissed when I was young was actually pretty good. Pink Floyd sailed right past me. I wasn't paying attention.

That was all 60s and 70s music. I still listen to a lot of 60s and 70s music. By that I mean 1860s and 1870s.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-31-2022, 11:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are songs and there are whole groups that haven't held up for me over time.

Groups- The Doors and Led Zeppelin. I don't like them at all any more.

Individual songs- Back when I was listening to that type of music, it came in the form of vinyl albums, so you listened to the whole album. Some songs were good and some songs, in hindsight, were crap. The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix- those were some of my favorites, but their albums had some great songs and some crap songs on them. Or The Beatles- Strawberry Fields is a great song. Rocky Raccoon, for example, is pure garbage. But they didn't sell "songs," they sold albums, so you had to take the good with the bad.

I also find that some stuff that I dismissed when I was young was actually pretty good. Pink Floyd sailed right past me. I wasn't paying attention.

That was all 60s and 70s music. I still listen to a lot of 60s and 70s music. By that I mean 1860s and 1870s.

Yeah, as I recall, 'Johnny Comes Marching Home' was #1 on the music charts at the time. Closely followed by 'Oh Susanna' at #2.

I'm with you on your take on album filler. Some of it was truly dreadful. Even the Beatles had their share of it, mostly on some of their earlier albums and the White Album and the Get Back album, but I wouldn't include Rocky Raccoon as filler. That song was hilarious and catchier than many groups 'hits' of the era. In fact, I'll take Raccoon over Strawberry Fields. The latter is too slow and ponderous for my tastes. Different strokes.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 12:43 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-31-2022, 11:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are songs and there are whole groups that haven't held up for me over time. 

Groups- The Doors and Led Zeppelin.  I don't like them at all any more. 

Individual songs- Back when I was listening to that type of music, it came in the form of vinyl albums, so you listened to the whole album.  Some songs were good and some songs, in hindsight, were crap.  The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix- those were some of my favorites, but their albums had some great songs and some crap songs on them.  Or The Beatles- Strawberry Fields is a great song.  Rocky Raccoon, for example, is pure garbage.  But they didn't sell "songs," they sold albums, so you had to take the good with the bad. 

I also find that some stuff that I dismissed when I was young was actually pretty good.  Pink Floyd sailed right past me.  I wasn't paying attention. 

That was all 60s and 70s music.  I still listen to a lot of 60s and 70s music.  By that I mean 1860s and 1870s.

The Doors made a lot of harsh and overly energetic stuff, but, to me, a couple of their songs really hold up.  Light my Fire and The Crystal Ship are both really original compositions/arrangements, without being so original or so complicated that they fall under their own weight.

As far as Led Zep, obviously Jimmy Page is a master, but there are a lot of guitar masters you don't necessarily want to listen to for very long.  Buckethead, Malmsteen, etc.  Led Zep weren't the originators of loud blues, that was Jimi.  But the teenage, adolescent energy Led Zep captured is remarkable.  I haven't been a teenage male in let's not say how long, but they captured that excess violent emotional energy really well. I remember what it was like and those recordings remember it too. As older males we don't relate to it anymore, but we do remember it.

Agreed about Pink Floyd, they are certainly music for more mature audiences than Led Zep or the Doors.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-31-2022, 12:42 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 11:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are songs and there are whole groups that haven't held up for me over time. 

Individual songs- Back when I was listening to that type of music, it came in the form of vinyl albums, so you listened to the whole album.  Some songs were good and some songs, in hindsight, were crap.  The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix- those were some of my favorites, but their albums had some great songs and some crap songs on them.  Or The Beatles- Strawberry Fields is a great song.  Rocky Raccoon, for example, is pure garbage.  But they didn't sell "songs," they sold albums, so you had to take the good with the bad. 

I also find that some stuff that I dismissed when I was young was actually pretty good.  Pink Floyd sailed right past me.  I wasn't paying attention. 

That was all 60s and 70s music.  I still listen to a lot of 60s and 70s music.  By that I mean 1860s and 1870s.

The Doors made a lot of harsh and overly energetic stuff, but, to me, a couple of their songs really hold up.  Light my Fire and The Crystal Ship are both really original compositions/arrangements, without being so original or so complicated that they fall under their own weight.

As far as Led Zep, obviously Jimmy Page is a master, but there are a lot of guitar masters you don't necessarily want to listen to for very long.  Buckethead, Malmsteen, etc.  Led Zep weren't the originators of loud blues, that was Jimi.  But the teenage, adolescent energy Led Zep captured is remarkable.  I haven't been a teenage male in let's not say how long, but they captured that excess violent emotional energy really well. I remember what it was like and those recordings remember it too. As older males we don't relate to it anymore, but we do remember it.

Agreed about Pink Floyd, they are certainly music for more mature audiences than Led Zep or the Doors.

Pretty much all of Pink Floyd's 70's stuff still holds up today. I think they started on the downslope tho with the Division Bell. The Wall is the greatest concept album in the history of rock, IMHO.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-31-2022, 12:42 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Zep's early recordings are energetic if highly derivative, but their later albums covered a lot of experimental territory from rock to country to pop to folk to even yes, reggae. They are still one of my favorite bands although I find I like the less popular recordings best. III and Houses of the Holy particularly.

The Doors never did it for me. The lyrics were mostly drunken ramblings and the musicianship was nothing particularly special IMO. Mrs. MarleyJag is fond of them though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Yeah, Floyd was one I passed on for years because radio/pop music played like 3 songs off the wall, 3 more from Dark Side, and that was all you ever heard. My college roomy was a huge Floyd fan, popped in Live at Pompeii video one night, and I was hooked. Now, they're one of my favorites.

I've said that pop culture thing soured me on a few things - another being Monty Python. When you mention to someone you're a Python fan, the usual response is "Ni!" right? No, I'm talking about the person who can complete the dialog:

"There's a dead vicar on the landing."
"What's his diocese?"
"How should I know?"

(03-31-2022, 12:47 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 12:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: The Doors made a lot of harsh and overly energetic stuff, but, to me, a couple of their songs really hold up.  Light my Fire and The Crystal Ship are both really original compositions/arrangements, without being so original or so complicated that they fall under their own weight.

Pretty much all of Pink Floyd's 70's stuff still holds up today.  I think they started on the downslope tho with the Division Bell.  The Wall is the greatest concept album in the history of rock, IMHO.

Division Bell was really the last Floyd album, though, that's pretty good if that's when you finally start the decline.

Led Zeppelin might be one of the top 3 bands to ever exist, imo. My ringtone on my phone is Immigrant Song.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 06:15 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-31-2022, 01:08 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 12:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: The Doors made a lot of harsh and overly energetic stuff, but, to me, a couple of their songs really hold up.  Light my Fire and The Crystal Ship are both really original compositions/arrangements, without being so original or so complicated that they fall under their own weight.

Zep's early recordings are energetic if highly derivative, but their later albums covered a lot of experimental territory from rock to country to pop to folk to even yes, reggae. They are still one of my favorite bands although I find I like the less popular recordings best. III and Houses of the Holy particularly.

The Doors never did it for me. The lyrics were mostly drunken ramblings and the musicianship was nothing particularly special IMO. Mrs. MarleyJag is fond of them though.

The Doors were musically tight, but Morrison, geez. That band was wasted (literally) on him.

(03-31-2022, 02:24 PM)Mikey Wrote:

Yeah, Floyd was one I passed on for years because radio/pop music played like 3 songs off the wall, 3 more from Dark Side, and that was all you ever heard. My college roomy was a huge Floyd fan, popped in Live at Pompeii video one night, and I was hooked. Now, they're one of my favorites.

I've said that pop culture thing soured me on a few things - another being Monty Python. When you mention to someone you're a Python fan, the usual response is "Ni!" right? No, I'm talking about the person who can complete the dialog:

"What's his diocese?"
"How should I know?"

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch, i go to the lavatrine

And nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 05:56 PM by Caldrac.)

Pink Floyd has a ton of hits. Never get tired of them. I like Led Zeppelin. Only issue I have was discovering the amount of music they ripped off to make their own hits. They barely hid the tunes they stole.

With that said, When The Levee Breaks, Friends, Achilles Last Stand, All Of My Love, Trampled Underfoot & Thank You hold up well. I like Plant's solo work as well. Darkness, Darkness, In The Mood and Big Log are good out on the highway after midnight tunes.

Might get some interesting takes on this. I am 33. So, maybe I missed something. The Grateful Dead? Mehhh. Frank Zappa? Mehhh. I liked a few songs here and there but I have a hard time investing into it for too long outside of a very, very few select tracks.

Also. Same for the Beatles and Elvis. There. I said it. LOL. I used to play Danzig a lot too as a teenager and in my early 20's. Just can't stomach them anymore. Same goes for Marilyn Manson. Yet, still like Reznor and NiN stuff.

Also. Mike Patton, from Faith No More. Hit or miss for me now these days. Midlife Crisis is still solid. Epic is overplayed. Queensryche is another band I skip on now. Unless it's Silent Lucidity. Have a hard time skipping that.

Dream Theather still slaps in the speaker. Burned out on Anthrax though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-31-2022, 04:48 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 01:08 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Zep's early recordings are energetic if highly derivative, but their later albums covered a lot of experimental territory from rock to country to pop to folk to even yes, reggae. They are still one of my favorite bands although I find I like the less popular recordings best. III and Houses of the Holy particularly.

The Doors were musically tight, but Morrison, geez.  That band was wasted (literally) on him.

(03-31-2022, 02:24 PM)Mikey Wrote: Yeah, Floyd was one I passed on for years because radio/pop music played like 3 songs off the wall, 3 more from Dark Side, and that was all you ever heard. My college roomy was a huge Floyd fan, popped in Live at Pompeii video one night, and I was hooked. Now, they're one of my favorites.

"What's his diocese?"
"How should I know?"

Plus one!   And please refresh my memory where the heck this is from.  I heard it long ago and to this day it pops in my head out of nowhere.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 06:40 PM by Jags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(03-31-2022, 05:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Pink Floyd has a ton of hits. Never get tired of them. I like Led Zeppelin. Only issue I have was discovering the amount of music they ripped off to make their own hits. They barely hid the tunes they stole.

With that said, When The Levee Breaks, Friends, Achilles Last Stand, All Of My Love, Trampled Underfoot & Thank You hold up well. I like Plant's solo work as well. Darkness, Darkness, In The Mood and Big Log are good out on the highway after midnight tunes.

Might get some interesting takes on this. I am 33. So, maybe I missed something. The Grateful Dead? Mehhh. Frank Zappa? Mehhh. I liked a few songs here and there but I have a hard time investing into it for too long outside of a very, very few select tracks.

Also. Same for the Beatles and Elvis. There. I said it. LOL. I used to play Danzig a lot too as a teenager and in my early 20's. Just can't stomach them anymore. Same goes for Marilyn Manson. Yet, still like Reznor and NiN stuff.

Also. Mike Patton, from Faith No More. Hit or miss for me now these days. Midlife Crisis is still solid. Epic is overplayed. Queensryche is another band I skip on now. Unless it's Silent Lucidity. Have a hard time skipping that.

Floyd and the Grateful Dead are two I never really got into.  Led Zepelin I did get into.  That is one band I quite listening to.  I think MarleyJag brought up them diving into even reggae music.  Which of course brought D’yer maker back to mind.  Thus, me reminiscing about my high school years.  I’m only 40 and it’s before my time.  But, I may have downloaded a few zepelin songs since.  Now Americus AND MarleyJag owe me money! Haha. 

Elvis and the Beetles… yeah, they have a few good ones but I’ve never got into it.  If anything Elvis kinda annoys me.  Even though my wife and her family are big fans.  

I’ll one up you though.  The Rolling Stones.  Loved it as a teen.  But aside from “Hot for Her” which is apparently obscure and simplistic at its best, I can totally go about my day not hearing their stuff.  

Kind of on topic, these songs and artist we’re talking about… ever skip a song but find yourself at an establishment that is playing music or has a live band covering it and enjoy it more than if you queue it up and hit play?   Happens a lot for me.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 09:21 AM by Mikey.)

(03-31-2022, 05:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Pink Floyd has a ton of hits. Never get tired of them. I like Led Zeppelin. Only issue I have was discovering the amount of music they ripped off to make their own hits. They barely hid the tunes they stole.

as a teen (right around 1990), worked in an actual factual record store, and the owners were bonkers about Elvis. There's maybe 3 of his songs that I can tolerate.
We were one of the last places in Cleveland that sold vinyl, and also stocked a lot of Polka and C&W before guys like Garth Brooks and such blew the doors open on that scene, so we had niche business, but always had business.

I'll listen to Danzig for the music value (III is a great, bluesy sound), but most of the lyrics are lost on me. I think a lot of bands are either steering into the genre's mainstream fandom or just scribbling anything for the sake of shock value more than actually saying something meaningful on a personal or societal level.

I remember my Queensryche phase. And Def Leppard. a lot of the mainstream, "pop" music is the stuff I drifted from. I think that's the locust nature of popularity - consume, consume, consume, leave a hollow husk, move on to the next thing to consume - applies to TV, music, everything. Some of it might still be GREAT music, but that overconsumption sours the palate.

I'll agree with you on the dead, my ex was severely into them, and while I won't deny their musicianship and that a lot of the music is something you can move to, it's never been something I sought out.

(03-31-2022, 06:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 04:48 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: The Doors were musically tight, but Morrison, geez.  That band was wasted (literally) on him.

Plus one!   And please refresh my memory where the heck this is from.  I heard it long ago and to this day it pops in my head out of nowhere.

It's the lumberjack song from the MPFC series. Starts out as a barbershop scene, but the barber is just playing a tape of idle chatter a barber would make with sounds of scissors snipping, never once touching the client's hair. Client notices, and the barber admits he never wanted to be a barber, citing the rustic lure of being a cross-dressing lumberjack (NTTAWWT).

(and I think it's lavatory, just Britishized to sound as lav-a-tree)

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 09:23 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-31-2022, 06:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 04:48 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: The Doors were musically tight, but Morrison, geez.  That band was wasted (literally) on him.

Its a Monty Python bit from the old BBC/PBS TV Show that was in syndication in the 70's. If I'm not mistaken, it's also in the musical Spam-a-Lot.

I never liked The Grateful Dead, Zappa and The Beatles. In fact, I would use their music to torture prisoners in Abu Ghraib. I lost my Elvis phase when I turned 9. I was briefly into Danzig a very long time ago, but Glenn is just a bit too dark for my taste. Faith No More was o.k. and Queensryche was too commercial. I don't think i've ever even listened to Dream Theatre. I will still listen to Marilyn Manson on occasion. He's a scumbag, but I think some of his music is very "catchy."

Way way back when I was young, my musical tastes evolved steadily. So did my friends' musical tastes. Someone was always bringing over a new album by someone we had never heard of, and we always had something new.

I think my musical tastes have continued to evolve, because I want them to evolve, and I actually make an effort, but it's striking how many of my fellow baby boomers came to a point a long long time ago where their musical tastes stopped evolving, and they're stuck in this time-warp, and they listen to the same thing they listened to 30 or 40 years ago.

It's not like you have to change with the times, or listen to new music written last year. There is 400 years worth of music you can discover. Some of it is very large, very complex, and very artistically written. It expresses deep abstract thoughts that can only be expressed with music. You can never figure it out, because of the size, the complexity, and the artistry. It's has an endless mystery to it.

You can get better at listening to music, just like you can get better at chess, or golf. But 99% of my generation just gave up at some point, and they're fine listening to Bruce Springsteen for the rest of their life. That's okay, but I could never settle for something like that.

Ted Nugent. Other than the ubiquitous Cat Scratch Fever and Hammerdown, there's nothing else by him that is listenable today for me.

REO Speedwagon. I loved Gary Richrath as a guitarist, but thier music didn't age well, especially the 70s stuff.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 12:25 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-01-2022, 09:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I never liked The Grateful Dead, Zappa and The Beatles. In fact, I would use their music to torture prisoners in Abu Ghraib. I lost my Elvis phase when I turned 9. I was briefly into Danzig a very long time ago, but Glenn is just a bit too dark for my taste. Faith No More was o.k. and Queensryche was too commercial. I don't think i've ever even listened to Dream Theatre. I will still listen to Marilyn Manson on occasion. He's a scumbag, but I think some of his music is very "catchy."

Elvis I agree with, except for the raw 50s stuff. That still holds up for me.

Zappa I liked in the 70s but it's unlistenable for me now. Great musicianship, but it's a lot like rambling jazz, which always annoyed me.

Grateful Dead. Never got into them. I might someday when I have time to listen to a 30 min jam.

Beatles. I think a lot of people are soured on them because they are a) overplayed and b) not GREAT musicians except for Paul. But I grew up during Beatlemania, so I'm biased. I 'll say this, they did some of the most innovative pop music of its time, even in the the 'yeah yeah yeah' phase. Most of their music at least holds up today, and some is still some of the best ever recorded, IMO. And they cranked out 2 classic albums a year for a 6 year stretch. When you consider that all that product came from only 6 years of existing as a band, that is pretty remarkable.