Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Weird Food Combos

Chicken and waffles is still lost on me

I get the concept and I've enjoyed the dish, but, not my thing.
There was a place in NYC that did it with a butter blended with a chicken liver mousse. Now that was interesting.
I'm just a big proponent of savory over sweet, so introducing sweet elements to savory dishes usually doesn't resonate with me.

What about the green peas and gravy from Beach Rd Chicken Dinners? LOL
Loved it as a kid without realizing how weird it was at the time.
It's like a redneck Matar Masala.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 12:49 PM by Mikey.)

(04-01-2022, 11:01 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Chocolate Ice Cream or a Milk Shake Or Frosty as a dipping sauce for...

chicken nuggets (preferably spicy).

this tracks, I mean already using it to dip my fries, so why not the chickens too?

(04-01-2022, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Chicken and waffles is still lost on me

There was a place in NYC that did it with a butter blended with a chicken liver mousse. Now that was interesting.
I'm just a big proponent of savory over sweet, so introducing sweet elements to savory dishes usually doesn't resonate with me.

What about the green peas and gravy from Beach Rd Chicken Dinners?  LOL

I don't get bone-in chicken served this way, but some tendies? I'll need my stretchy pants before sitting down to this meal.

Not uncommon, but.....Dipping fries in a McDonald's Sundae

On a international front, and although this is the national dish of Belgium, Mussels with Fries covered in mayo
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

I can't eat Kraft macaroni and cheese without having creamed peas with it. I like mixing the two together. It taste sooooooo good. My dad puts apple sauce on top of cottage cheese. Personally, it turns my stomach. IMO, the only thing that should go on cottage cheese is tons of freshly cracked black pepper. I also have to have dill pickles on my grilled cheese sandwiches and whenever someone in my family has a birthday, I have to mash my ice cream and cake together. It's especially good with chocolate marshmallow ice cream. It's funny because I've done this since I was a kid and my sister can't even look at me when I'm eating it. Now, my 12 year old niece is eating her cake and ice cream mashed together too. I'm so proud.

Chicken and waffles is a big thing here in Pa. chicken on top of waffles and covered in chicken gravy. I have yet to try it, but its an incredibly popular thing. I moved from Jax to Pa in late 2007 and have been able to resist this so far. I did try scrapple though.

(04-02-2022, 09:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote:

Chicken and waffles is a big thing here in Pa. chicken on top of waffles and covered in chicken gravy. I have yet to try it, but its an incredibly popular thing. I moved from Jax to Pa in late 2007 and have been able to resist this so far. I did try scrapple though.

Scrapple isn’t bad.  Smells a bit funny as cooking or frying.  But as long as you get past the hearts, lips and buttholes it tastes fine.  I remember eating that a bunch as a kid in Philly.  Other Philly or PA stuff you should definitely never avoid is their authentic cheesesteaks (not the BS places in Florida pawn off) and the pretzels!   Oh dear god.  Get you a good soft pretzel and some mustard.  OMG!!  I remember my school had orders to a pretzel company.  I don’t remember the company. But they were hot/warm thicker and funny shape compared to normal soft pretzels.  If you haven’t already, divulge yourself into all that and thank me later.  Phil and Jim’s.  I don’t remember too much as a kid.  But I remember their cheesesteaks

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 08:37 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

This kinda fits here, you reminded me of it talking about cheesesteaks.

We have a local pizzeria here, Big Joes.  They have some great pies and some really interesting specialty pies.  We had two, the chicken parm pizza and a lasagna pizza.  They were both excellent.  So Friday night I decided to try the Philly cheesesteak pizza.

I walk in just as they're finishing up the pie.  As a final touch the squirt some ranch dressing on it.  RANCH DRESSING??!?!!?  Who the [BLEEP] puts ranch dressing on a Philly cheesesteak?  Sacrilege!!
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-02-2022, 06:49 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 09:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote: Chicken and waffles is a big thing here in Pa. chicken on top of waffles and covered in chicken gravy. I have yet to try it, but its an incredibly popular thing. I moved from Jax to Pa in late 2007 and have been able to resist this so far. I did try scrapple though.

Scrapple isn’t bad.  Smells a bit funny as cooking or frying.  But as long as you get past the hearts, lips and buttholes it tastes fine.  I remember eating that a bunch as a kid in Philly.  Other Philly or PA stuff you should definitely never avoid is their authentic cheesesteaks (not the BS places in Florida pawn off) and the pretzels!   Oh dear god.  Get you a good soft pretzel and some mustard.  OMG!!  I remember my school had orders to a pretzel company.  I don’t remember the company. But they were hot/warm thicker and funny shape compared to normal soft pretzels.  If you haven’t already, divulge yourself into all that and thank me later.  Phil and Jim’s.  I don’t remember too much as a kid.  But I remember their cheesesteaks

I'd eat scrapple if I was starving but other than that, anything with the brains or liver of an animal is dog or cat food.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-02-2022, 06:49 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 09:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote: Chicken and waffles is a big thing here in Pa. chicken on top of waffles and covered in chicken gravy. I have yet to try it, but its an incredibly popular thing. I moved from Jax to Pa in late 2007 and have been able to resist this so far. I did try scrapple though.

Love the cheesesteaks especially the chicken cheesesteak. Ive always loved soft pretzels with mustard. Just so strange up here still. I live in central pa and there is virtually no nightlife here. Most of the eateries of any quality shut down at 7 or 8pm and even earlier on sunday. Bar and grills shuts kitchens down at 8 and then bar only for a couple more hours if they have a crowd. fast food places close at midnight There is nothing at all open 24/7 other than convenience stores.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 07:25 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-03-2022, 01:23 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 06:49 PM)Jags Wrote: Scrapple isn’t bad.  Smells a bit funny as cooking or frying.  But as long as you get past the hearts, lips and buttholes it tastes fine.  I remember eating that a bunch as a kid in Philly.  Other Philly or PA stuff you should definitely never avoid is their authentic cheesesteaks (not the BS places in Florida pawn off) and the pretzels!   Oh dear god.  Get you a good soft pretzel and some mustard.  OMG!!  I remember my school had orders to a pretzel company.  I don’t remember the company. But they were hot/warm thicker and funny shape compared to normal soft pretzels.  If you haven’t already, divulge yourself into all that and thank me later.  Phil and Jim’s.  I don’t remember too much as a kid.  But I remember their cheesesteaks
Love the cheesesteaks especially the chicken cheesesteak. Ive always loved soft pretzels with mustard. Just so strange up here still. I live in central pa and there is virtually no nightlife here. Most of the eateries of any quality shut down at 7 or 8pm and even earlier on sunday. Bar and grills shuts kitchens down at 8 and then bar only for a couple more hours if they have a crowd. fast food places close at midnight There is nothing at all open 24/7 other than convenience stores.

Head east and get the real stuff!  Phil and Jim’s!  I’m not sure how I feel about chicken Phillies.  The authentic ones do not include peppers or the other crap restaurants try to add.  Although, I do like mushrooms and onions.  Uses Amarosa bread.  It’s a mobbed up bakery.  But even in FL we have two places I’m aware of that use their bread.  Only thing I do is add mayo.  Perfection!

(04-02-2022, 08:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote: This kinda fits here, you reminded me of it talking about cheesesteaks.

We have a local pizzeria here, Big Joes.  They have some great pies and some really interesting specialty pies.  We had two, the chicken parm pizza and a lasagna pizza.  They were both excellent.  So Friday night I decided to try the Philly cheesesteak pizza.

I walk in just as they're finishing up the pie.  As a final touch the squirt some ranch dressing on it.  RANCH DRESSING??!?!!?  Who the [BLEEP] puts ranch dressing on a Philly cheesesteak?  Sacrilege!!

I’m torn.  Pizza is a different story.  I’ve used ranch to dip my crust many times. Never had I used it on a cheesesteak.  I also haven’t heard of a restaurant putting ranch on a pizza as part of their recipe. Since its pizza, the only thing I can say is I hope all the flavors complete each other and the pie tastes good.  Any cheesesteak pizza I’ve ever bought had their “white sauce” or whatever.  Pizza has expanding flavors. Like you, I don’t expect a cheesesteak while eating a pizza so much the flavor.  Ranch isn’t anything I’d add naturally.  But in the end, if it tastes good…I’m certainly open to it despite the name given to it.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 12:20 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

What side of PA are you on?

(04-02-2022, 08:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote: This kinda fits here, you reminded me of it talking about cheesesteaks.

Agree --- that's messed up (ranch on philly cheesesteak in any manner)

I always thought peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwiches were weird..

Until I actually tried one..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I always thought peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwiches were weird.. 

sweet and savory mix so well, much like the chicken and waffles referenced earlier.

along those lines...jalapeño brownies....so yummy to offset the heat with some sweet

Those pack of two microwave sausage biscuits, with mustard, and a glass of chocolate milk. Don't believe me? I double dog dare you to try it.

(04-04-2022, 02:49 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I always thought peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwiches were weird.. 

sweet and savory mix so well, much like the chicken and waffles referenced earlier.

along those lines...jalapeño brownies....so yummy to offset the heat with some sweet

I'm down with sweet and heat. 

I'm not even opposed to sweet and savory, I just find many savory dishes better off without the addition of a sweet element. 
Fried Chicken is one of them Smile

Circling back to the jalapeño brownies - When I get a chance to ski in Taos, New Mexico I seek out a coffee kiosk on the mountain that makes an outstanding "Mayan Mocha" with a hatch and guajillo chile simple syrup. Warms you up after a morning on the slopes perfectly.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 08:10 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-04-2022, 07:00 PM)Olive Wrote: Those pack of two microwave sausage biscuits, with mustard, and a glass of chocolate milk. Don't believe me? I double dog dare you to try it.

Mmmmm Hmmmmm

[Image: 2eoo7m.jpg]

So, now we know what happened to you.  

I’m thinking my issue is genetics.   Not so much food related.  Either way, enjoy that combo, man!

(04-04-2022, 07:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 02:49 PM)Mikey Wrote: sweet and savory mix so well, much like the chicken and waffles referenced earlier.

I'm down with sweet and heat. 

I'm not even opposed to sweet and savory, I just find many savory dishes better off without the addition of a sweet element. 

Circling back to the jalapeño brownies - When I get a chance to ski in Taos, New Mexico I seek out a coffee kiosk on the mountain that makes an outstanding "Mayan Mocha" with a hatch and guajillo chile simple syrup. Warms you up after a morning on the slopes perfectly.

You don't have to go that far for that flavor combo.  Sweet Dreams Ice Cream in Gainesville has a Mayan Chocolate ice cream that's really good.

(04-04-2022, 11:28 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 07:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm down with sweet and heat. 

You don't have to go that far for that flavor combo.  Sweet Dreams Ice Cream in Gainesville has a Mayan Chocolate ice cream that's really good.

Oh, I'm aware the flavor has made it's way to near mainstream in the states, just pointing out the place I discovered it in the coffee world. 

Chilé and chocolate together are as old as some molé recipes south of the border going back 300 years. And I'll look out for that next time I'm in Gainesville.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 08:47 AM by mikesez.)

(04-04-2022, 11:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 11:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: You don't have to go that far for that flavor combo.  Sweet Dreams Ice Cream in Gainesville has a Mayan Chocolate ice cream that's really good.

Oh, I'm aware the flavor has made it's way to near mainstream in the states, just pointing out the place I discovered it in the coffee world. 

Chilé and chocolate together are as old as some molé recipes south of the border going back 300 years. And I'll look out for that next time I'm in Gainesville.

Theirs has chili and cinnamon in the chocolate.  Kind of a Chinese-mayan mashup, lol