Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Insightful Article on Evan Engram

I don’t care who leads the team in receiving as long as the team wins.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Evan Engram is a guy I really like. But it's soley based on potential at this point. The guy has 4.4 speed, he's got the ability to make spectacular catches and get YAC. He could be so good. Maybe if Lawrence is as good as the people think he can be, we will see Engram grow up. He's had his fair share of drops and issues but he's also only had Danny Dimes and Eli.. so we shall see. If he does turn it around, he was an absolute steal for us.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2022, 12:18 PM by cincyjacket.)

Hope he does well, but $9M/year is hardly a steal.

Would rather have Darren Waller at $7.5M/year.

What’s the franchise tag cost for TE? May need to use it on him if he blows up this year.

(06-09-2022, 12:14 PM)cincyjacket Wrote: Hope he does well, but $9M/year is hardly a steal.

Would rather have Darren Waller at $7.5M/year.

Waller wanted to stay with his former (and current) team. They got him very affordably though. 
Very team friendly deal. But it was an extension midseason. He wasn't on the market IIRC.

Engram's deal being only one year is an important difference, but the biggest difference is that Waller's deal was done in 2019 when he had only a few months of above average production. He broke out after the extension.

It's 2022 now  - the Jags needed help and had cap space. 
They got what they could. Waller was never an option.

I'm surprised you guys are excited about a guy that is known for dropping the ball...given last years issues.  Tongue

(06-10-2022, 10:19 AM)cland Wrote: I'm surprised you guys are excited about a guy that is known for dropping the ball...given last years issues.  Tongue

I fully expect fans to turn on him quickly like they did Shenault last year as soon as he drops a couple of would-be conversions. 

That said, it's  the Jags not having a viable receiving TE for decades that has folks excited. 
Compared to other TEs we've had - This guy at least has the potential to make big plays between the drops.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2022, 05:00 PM by TheDuke007. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-10-2022, 10:19 AM)cland Wrote: I'm surprised you guys are excited about a guy that is known for dropping the ball...given last years issues.  Tongue

While I'm sure people will be unhappy when Engram inevitably makes a drop, there is nothing surprising about Jaguar fans' excitement given the track record of tight ends in Jacksonville.  Consider the following:

Number of seasons with over 400 receiving yards:

Engram: 5 times out of 5
Jaguars: 1 time in the last 9 years.  

Number of seasons with over 575 receiving yards:

Engram: 3 times out of 5 
Jaguars: 2 times in their 27 year history and never in the last decade.

Number of seasons with over 700 receiving yards:

Engram: 1 time out of 5 
Jaguars: 1 time in their 27 year history and never in the last 20 years.  

If he plays like he did over the last five years, Engram will be adding something that we've rarely seen in Jacksonville from the tight end position.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 10:42 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-26-2022, 10:51 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 03:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Why do you describe Engram and Kirk as oil and water?

Why do you think they are incompatible?  TE and WR routes (including slot) often complement each other, whether it's rub routes or routes that clear coverage on the other side of the field or attacking safeties. 

I agree that TE and WR often complement each other when they have complementing skill sets. Kirk could be a killer in 11 with a TE that can play inline. 12 could be killer with Engram in the slot if Kirk was effective outside. Unfortunately neither of those are true. They are both essentially slot receivers. To maximize one is to minimize the other almost by definition.

Obviously Engram is quoted as saying there are tons of way that Pederson can use him. That is true, except they also have a slot only WR that they just paid a giant amount of money to. How can they maximize both?

I think they are obligated to maximize Kirk since he is now the cornerstone of the offense. They can still use Engram as an X occasionally, they can use him in the backfield occasionally, they can run bunch sets and 4 wide occasionally. I don't think they can use him effectively in a traditional Pederson 2 TE offense unless they are willing to neuter Kirk.

Upper,

TBH I had forgotten about this post, but now that I've seen it, I remember not fully understanding your argument.

Has Pederson, et al alleviated your converns on the compatibility of Engram & Kirk?

If so, how?

If not, why not?  Are they still not as productive as they could be?  Based on what?

Not a call out or a bust your chops post.  Genuinely curious about your concerns.

(12-12-2022, 10:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1602..._zHxHv61vA

That's an impressive  group to be grouped with.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2022, 06:54 PM by Newton.)

Hopefully Engram will be back.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2022/12...ency-2023/

(12-17-2022, 06:54 PM)Newton Wrote: Hopefully Engram will be back.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2022/12...ency-2023/

AGreed.

He would give the offense a lot of versatility and matchup advantages.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-25-2022, 09:33 PM)Upper Wrote: I wish it gave some insights on how they are going to use him though. I still think he and Kirk (and Arnold) are oil and water.

Funny how oil and water are both posting career numbers in Pederson's offense, huh? 

You ready to back off of this narrative you wasted 20 posts on in the offseason now?

(03-27-2022, 01:50 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Also, folks going crazy about Shenault drops be warned: Engram has gone through that phase too. He has had the dropsy's from time to time.

It's just something some players go thru. Anyone remember TO having that problem too?

Personally I know from experience, the first thing someone should check is their eyes. These guys are young and their eyes are growing/changing. I would think the medical staff would know this but I can tell you...them nor the player even suspect this many times. Think Fred Taylor. All those years we thought he couldn't catch and after years he finally got lasik.

Over one summer I went from a guy who caught everything to a guy who couldn't catch a cold. I didn't wear glasses in my daily life so never considered that I needed contact lenses.

Have Laviska get lasik or contacts.

Jimmy Smith got lasik surgery, not Fred.

Everyone keeps saying wmgram is having a career year. He averaged more yard a per game his firat 3 years in the league than he has this year.

(12-18-2022, 07:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 09:33 PM)Upper Wrote: I wish it gave some insights on how they are going to use him though. I still think he and Kirk (and Arnold) are oil and water.

Funny how oil and water are both posting career numbers in Pederson's offense, huh? 

You ready to back off of this narrative you wasted 20 posts on in the offseason now?

Looks like they are just going to sweep that one under the rug and never revisit this thread lol

Lol good timing bringing this up now and not the first 12 weeks of relative invisibility where he racked up a whopping like 380 yards and 2 TDs.

Engram moved to 3rd on the list of most receiving yards in a season by a Jaguar tight end.  If he can get 130 yards over the last three games, he would move into 1st.

It's gonna hard to resign him I think. He is #6 in yards and TDs for TE and #4 in receptions. Even 1 more good game, and he would jump into top 5 for all 3.

Unless he is really sold on the culture here and really likes having Lawrence as his QB to give a slight discount, it will probably take something like 3-4 years, ~$11-13 million per year.

The good things are his age and there will be a lot of guys on the market next year.

Random thought, if he is wiling to come back as a premiere blocking TE Marcedes would be cheaper than Manhertz. Though no idea if he could still do it at 39, and how bad the blood is between him and the Jags.

Would like to have him back. Chemistry and impact plays are there. Only improves in time.

Let's see how the next three games go. If this team makes a play off run he probably comes back even if a slightly better offer is made elsewhere.

Culture changes things.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."