Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Frank Gore retires

(04-05-2022, 04:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 10:22 AM)Mikey Wrote: Longevity is one thing, but I think his biggest argument against his HOF bid is going to be the lack of postseason stats/moments. It's probably subjective, but a lot of the easy HOF picks are guys that not only get it done during the regular season, but have some remarkable postseason performances to make them a household name.

Gore's postseason? 9 games, 668 yards. No big 200-yard performance or anything to carry his team.

He'll probably get in just due to his regular season numbers, though. The HOF is funny that way.

I think they overvalue post season stuff too much at times. Eli Manning will get in because of his two Super Bowls, but are his numbers really HoF worthy? I mean he led the league in INTs in 3 or 4 of his seasons. Jared Allen only had 4 sacks throughout 7 post season games. Should his post season numbers take away from his 12th all time leading 136 sack career?

At the end of the day, Gore is 3rd in rushing yards in NFL history. In a league that has an average lifespan of 3 1/2 years and while playing such a physically taxing position as RB for 16 seasons is something that is very impressive and it can't be over looked. RBs typically are done around age 28-29. Gore went till he was 37 and was still producing. Productive longevity, especially at the RB position is huge imo.

comparing to Eli might be bad. He has a ton of regular season accolades to accompany his rings, he was more than just a prayer to  Tyree.

QBs are the superstars of the league, so dang near every good one is going to get in, even guys like Phil Rivers, who is probably a better correlation. Next to nothing as far as postseason success, but a dang diehard football player who did what he did way longer than most.

I am not saying Gore won't get in; it's just that he doesn't have a phenomenal postseason run to hang his hat on to bolster his claim. Sometimes regular season stats are enough to get you in, sometimes it isn't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-06-2022, 10:05 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 04:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I think they overvalue post season stuff too much at times. Eli Manning will get in because of his two Super Bowls, but are his numbers really HoF worthy? I mean he led the league in INTs in 3 or 4 of his seasons. Jared Allen only had 4 sacks throughout 7 post season games. Should his post season numbers take away from his 12th all time leading 136 sack career?

At the end of the day, Gore is 3rd in rushing yards in NFL history. In a league that has an average lifespan of 3 1/2 years and while playing such a physically taxing position as RB for 16 seasons is something that is very impressive and it can't be over looked. RBs typically are done around age 28-29. Gore went till he was 37 and was still producing. Productive longevity, especially at the RB position is huge imo.

comparing to Eli might be bad. He has a ton of regular season accolades to accompany his rings, he was more than just a prayer to  Tyree.

QBs are the superstars of the league, so dang near every good one is going to get in, even guys like Phil Rivers, who is probably a better correlation. Next to nothing as far as postseason success, but a dang diehard football player who did what he did way longer than most.

I am not saying Gore won't get in; it's just that he doesn't have a phenomenal postseason run to hang his hat on to bolster his claim. Sometimes regular season stats are enough to get you in, sometimes it isn't.

So is the HoF now just a team award?

Should a player's career just be wiped away, or be short sided because his team (in the ultimate team sport) couldn't play for the super bowl, or make multiple playoff runs?

Do you think Terrell Davis is better than Fred Taylor, Frank Gore, or at least 20 other RBs just because he had a 4 year run and 2 good playoff runs? Does 4 years really deserve the HoF bid over 13 years, or 16 years of production? etc etc.

The Hall of Fame is about what a player did through out his entire career. Regular season, or post season shouldn't make a difference. It's about what the individual did throughout his full career and Gore sits among the top of NFL History at his position. There's only two people in history with more rushing yards than Frank Gore. Which is what RBs are based on.

(04-07-2022, 01:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 10:05 AM)Mikey Wrote: comparing to Eli might be bad. He has a ton of regular season accolades to accompany his rings, he was more than just a prayer to  Tyree.

So is the HoF now just a team award?

Should a player's career just be wiped away, or be short sided because his team (in the ultimate team sport) couldn't play for the super bowl, or make multiple playoff runs?

Do you think Terrell Davis is better than Fred Taylor, Frank Gore, or at least 20 other RBs just because he had a 4 year run and 2 good playoff runs? Does 4 years really deserve the HoF bid over 13 years, or 16 years of production? etc etc.

The Hall of Fame is about what a player did through out his entire career. Regular season, or post season shouldn't make a difference. It's about what the individual did throughout his full career and Gore sits among the top of NFL History at his position. There's only two people in history with more rushing yards than Frank Gore. Which is what RBs are based on.

Dude. Simmer down. This is not worth getting worked up over.

Where did I say it was a team award?

Where did I say I fully agree with the HOF voters on who they let in, or do not?

Truth be told I am an advocate of the mindset that an HOF is best defined by who isn't in, rather than who is. The HOF has descended to become the Hall of Recognizable. TD played on some very good Bronc teams and has some big stats on his side - SB MVP, one of few with 2K yds in a season, another OPOY award, 7 straight 100-yard playoff games, and get this.....THAT DOES NOT DISCOUNT ANYTHING FREDDY T DID. I think TD was dang clutch, and that's the kinda stuff that voters stain their undies over. Is it right, or perfect? Of course not. If it were just some specific criteria like "retire within the top five of some stat and you are getting inducted", we wouldn't be wasting our days arguing over who should or should not be inducted.

I'll say it again. I think Gore gets in. But, like Freddy, he doesn't have a lot of awards or postseason history to push him ahead of some other players when the votes are due. Just like Phil Rivers will. Longevity and regular season stats and their notoriety will carry them. Nothing wrong with that.

(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 09:11 PM)Newton Wrote: Crazy long career for a running back! Guy must have bones of iron. Definitely a hall of famed due to his longevity.
See. This is where I have issues with the HOF in general. Frank Gore is going to make the HOF but not because he's one of the all-time greats. Instead, it will be because he played a long time while being a good player. Not a great player but a good player. He made 1 All-Pro back in 2006 and never made it again.

He's flat out not a better RB than Fred Taylor and yet Taylor will likely never get in.

I agree. And Taylor never made an All Pro either which is crazy. He got robbed in his rookie year when he had just as more TDs as Randy Moss in their week 15 matchup. 

Taylor should have made the Pro Bowl in 1998 and 2003 along with the year he ran for 1572. If you add in 2007 he should have been atleast a 4 time pro bowler. I digress

(04-09-2022, 08:06 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: See. This is where I have issues with the HOF in general. Frank Gore is going to make the HOF but not because he's one of the all-time greats. Instead, it will be because he played a long time while being a good player. Not a great player but a good player. He made 1 All-Pro back in 2006 and never made it again.

He's flat out not a better RB than Fred Taylor and yet Taylor will likely never get in.

I agree. And Taylor never made an All Pro either which is crazy. He got robbed in his rookie year when he had just as more TDs as Randy Moss in their week 15 matchup. 

Taylor should have made the Pro Bowl in 1998 and 2003 along with the year he ran for 1572. If you add in 2007 he should have been atleast a 4 time pro bowler. I digress

Fred Taylor was a pro bowler and an all pro in 2007

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You guys should check out The Pivot on Youtube. Fred and RC and Crowder doing some really great interviews. Be sure to watch the one with A-Rod.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-10-2022, 01:17 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: You guys should check out The Pivot on Youtube.  Fred and RC and Crowder doing some really great interviews.  Be sure to watch the one with A-Rod.
Yes, it's an entertaining and sometimes insightful podcast/youtube broadcast.