Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Saints-Eagles Trade

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-and-more/

The Saints look like a team preparing to trade up.

I wonder who they are after.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-04-2022, 09:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-and-more/

QB is the primary speculation I'm hearing/reading thus far.

(04-04-2022, 10:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 09:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-and-more/

QB is the primary speculation I'm hearing/reading thus far.

I've heard QB and possibly T, but how high do they want to go?

I saw a PFF video where they speculated they minimally want to get ahead of Carolina.  But I'm not sure that will be enough.  Not only might Detroit want a QB at 2, a team with a lot of draft capital like Seattle (who I've heard is on talks with the Jets to trade DK Metcalf for the #10) who may also be in the market for a QB.

Now if you permit me to go on a brief tangent rant, I am envying the Jets regarding how they re building around Zach Wilson.  While I like the coaching we now have around Trevor Lawrence more than the Jets coaching staff, in terms of the actual pieces put around him, right now I think the Jets are in a much better place than the Jaguars.

(04-04-2022, 10:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 10:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: QB is the primary speculation I'm hearing/reading thus far.

I've heard QB and possibly T, but how high do they want to go?

I saw a PFF video where they speculated they minimally want to get ahead of Carolina.  But I'm not sure that will be enough.  Not only might Detroit want a QB at 2, a team with a lot of draft capital like Seattle (who I've heard is on talks with the Jets to trade DK Metcalf for the #10) who may also be in the market for a QB.

Now if you permit me to go on a brief tangent rant, I am envying the Jets regarding how they re building around Zach Wilson.  While I like the coaching we now have around Trevor Lawrence more than the Jets coaching staff, in terms of the actual pieces put around him, right now I think the Jets are in a much better place than the Jaguars.

Personally, I believe New Orleans can sit tight where they are at and still get either Malik Willis or at worst, Matt Corral. I think they could've been able to get one or the other before they even made the trade. I believe this trade was made in order to fill needs at both QB and LT. What good is taking a QB of the future if you can't protect them? This trade allows the Saints to fill both needs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think they need to trade up to get a QB. I really only see Carolina as a team that is probably gonna draft a QB ahead of them and possibly Washington.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 09:29 AM by Mikey.)

This deal is a major head-scratcher. To make this trade before any picks have been made tells me either they needed current capital to move up to another pick (but then why not just package your first this year and next for the move up, and leave the iggles out of it?) or they seriously envision several players dropping that they want. Again, the same question must be asked, though - why do the deal weeks ahead of the picks, especially if you have a particular player(s) targeted?

I could see them either moving up for one of the tackles, or a WR to replace Thomas. Even if they are aiming for one specific player, the timing is just so odd. One team in the top ten could botch the whole plan by taking a surprise pick.

Loomis has gone years finding ways to get by and keep the good thing going, but this deal strikes me as the one that could usher him out of NOLA.

(04-05-2022, 06:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 10:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I've heard QB and possibly T, but how high do they want to go?

Personally, I believe New Orleans can sit tight where they are at and still get either Malik Willis or at worst, Matt Corral. I think they could've been able to get one or the other before they even made the trade. I believe this trade was made in order to fill needs at both QB and LT. What good is taking a QB of the future if you can't protect them? This trade allows the Saints to fill both needs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think they need to trade up to get a QB. I really only see Carolina as a team that is probably gonna draft a QB ahead of them and possibly Washington.

If the QBs start sliding, though, the price tag to move up and get them drops with every pick. Whether it's NOLA, PIT, WAS, or someone else, I think someone is going to make the splash and move up into the top ten to get the QB run (mini run, likely) started.

This seems a desperate move on behalf of the Aints, though, and in light of where they are presently, I don't see a team that should be in "win or else" mode.

(04-05-2022, 06:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 10:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I've heard QB and possibly T, but how high do they want to go?

It may be true, but if so, I think they did that too soon if the goal was to jump ahead of the Chargers for a guy like Penning.  With 3 weeks left before the draft, it's plenty of time for the Chargers to move back up ahead of them to get a T.  This is the time of the offseason where teams looking to trade up in a big way finish accumulating the bicks needed to make the move.  When the Bills made a trade for Josh Allen, they made a series of trades to get the ammo needed to get him.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/6/...-nfl-draft

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 10:45 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-05-2022, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:

This deal is a major head-scratcher. To make this trade before any picks have been made tells me either they needed current capital to move up to another pick (but then why not just package your first this year and next for the move up, and leave the iggles out of it?) or they seriously envision several players dropping that they want. Again, the same question must be asked, though - why do the deal weeks ahead of the picks, especially if you have a particular player(s) targeted?

I could see them either moving up for one of the tackles, or a WR to replace Thomas. Even if they are aiming for one specific player, the timing is just so odd. One team in the top ten could botch the whole plan by taking a surprise pick.

Loomis has gone years finding ways to get by and keep the good thing going, but this deal strikes me as the one that could usher him out of NOLA.

(04-05-2022, 06:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I believe New Orleans can sit tight where they are at and still get either Malik Willis or at worst, Matt Corral. I think they could've been able to get one or the other before they even made the trade. I believe this trade was made in order to fill needs at both QB and LT. What good is taking a QB of the future if you can't protect them? This trade allows the Saints to fill both needs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think they need to trade up to get a QB. I really only see Carolina as a team that is probably gonna draft a QB ahead of them and possibly Washington.

If the QBs start sliding, though, the price tag to move up and get them drops with every pick. Whether it's NOLA, PIT, WAS, or someone else, I think someone is going to make the splash and move up into the top ten to get the QB run (mini run, likely) started.

This seems a desperate move on behalf of the Aints, though, and in light of where they are presently, I don't see a team that should be in "win or else" mode.

Like I said, I believe Pickett gets drafted by the Panthers at #6. I can't imagine them going another season with Sam Darnold as a starter. The problem is that Pickett is the only QB in this draft who can be a day 1 starter. Malik Willis and Matt Corral both need a season or two to develop as passers. Willis has zero instincts in the pocket and Corral is spotty, at best. Who is gonna want to move up to get either one of those guys, knowing they will be non-factors for the first year or two of their pro careers? 

I agree. I believe this was a desperation move on behalf of the Saints, but I believe it was a desperation move to get a starting LT, not a QB. I think they were in jeopardy of missing out on Trevor Penning and they wanted to make sure they were able to secure one of the top LT's. After he goes off the board, there is a very significant dropoff at the position. If they could land a QB at #16 and Penning at #19, they should be in decent shape moving onto the future.

(04-05-2022, 09:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 06:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I believe New Orleans can sit tight where they are at and still get either Malik Willis or at worst, Matt Corral. I think they could've been able to get one or the other before they even made the trade. I believe this trade was made in order to fill needs at both QB and LT. What good is taking a QB of the future if you can't protect them? This trade allows the Saints to fill both needs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think they need to trade up to get a QB. I really only see Carolina as a team that is probably gonna draft a QB ahead of them and possibly Washington.
  It may be true, but if so, I think they did that too soon if the goal was to jump ahead of the Chargers for a guy like Penning.  With 3 weeks left before the draft, it's plenty of time for the Chargers to move back up ahead of them to get a T.  This is the time of the offseason where teams looking to trade up in a big way finish accumulating the bicks needed to make the move.  When the Bills made a trade for Josh Allen, they made a series of trades to get the ammo needed to get him.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/6/...-nfl-draft

I agree. The timing of this is extremely odd. It just baffles my mind that anyone would want to give up so much draft capital to move up for any of these QB's. I can't wrap my mind around it. Pickett reminds me of Kirk Cousins, Malik Willis reminds me of RG3 and Matt Corral reminds me of Case Keenum.

(04-05-2022, 10:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: This deal is a major head-scratcher. To make this trade before any picks have been made tells me either they needed current capital to move up to another pick (but then why not just package your first this year and next for the move up, and leave the iggles out of it?) or they seriously envision several players dropping that they want. Again, the same question must be asked, though - why do the deal weeks ahead of the picks, especially if you have a particular player(s) targeted?

Like I said, I believe Pickett gets drafted by the Panthers at #8. I can't imagine them going another season with Sam Darnold as a starter. The problem is that Pickett is the only QB in this draft who can be a day 1 starter. Malik Willis and Matt Corral both need a season or two to develop as passers. Willis has zero instincts in the pocket and Corral is spotty, at best. Who is gonna want to move up to get either one of those guys, knowing they will be non-factors for the first year or two of their pro careers? 

I agree. I believe this was a desperation move on behalf of the Saints, but I believe it was a desperation move to get a starting LT, not a QB. I think they were in jeopardy of missing out on Trevor Penning and they wanted to make sure they were able to secure one of the top LT's. After he goes off the board, there is a very significant dropoff at the position. If they could land a QB at #16 and Penning at #19, they should be in decent shape moving onto the future.
The Panthers currently have the 6th pick.  Atlanta currently has pick 8.

Do you think they trade within the same division?  Why would Atlanta move up two spots?

Did you simply mistype/mistakenly think Carolina has pick 8?

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 10:45 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-05-2022, 10:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 10:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Like I said, I believe Pickett gets drafted by the Panthers at #8. I can't imagine them going another season with Sam Darnold as a starter. The problem is that Pickett is the only QB in this draft who can be a day 1 starter. Malik Willis and Matt Corral both need a season or two to develop as passers. Willis has zero instincts in the pocket and Corral is spotty, at best. Who is gonna want to move up to get either one of those guys, knowing they will be non-factors for the first year or two of their pro careers? 

The Panthers currently have the 6th pick.  Atlanta currently has pick 8.

Do you think they trade within the same division?  Why would Atlanta move up two spots?

Did you simply mistype/mistakenly think Carolina has pick 8?

My bad. That was a mis-type. I mean Carolina will take a QB at #6. Sorry. Fixed it.