Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Call your shot

I could see the Jags first WR taken at #70 with Metchie.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-08-2022, 10:41 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: I could see the Jags first WR taken at #70 with Metchie.

Other than the fact he probably won't make any impact in 2022 due to coming off an ACL injury, I wouldn't hate that pick. When healthy, he's a very good WR. He's a classic possession WR from the slot, in the mold of a Robert Woods/Keenan Allen only faster. The problem is that Metchie is a slot receiver and we paid Kirk a lot of money. Kirk is basically useless anywhere but the slot position, so something would have to give.

(04-08-2022, 11:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 10:41 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: I could see the Jags first WR taken at #70 with Metchie.

Other than the fact he probably won't make any impact in 2022 due to coming off an ACL injury, I wouldn't hate that pick. When healthy, he's a very good WR. He's a classic possession WR from the slot, in the mold of a Robert Woods/Keenan Allen only faster. The problem is that Metchie is a slot receiver and we paid Kirk a lot of money. Kirk is basically useless anywhere but the slot position, so something would have to give.
Right or wrong, they didn’t sign Kirk to be a slot receiver imo. While he may play some slot, I think they want him on the outside. We shall see. I agree that Metchie would probably not have a lot of impact until late in the season if at all this year but next year I think he could push Kirk out of the slot if that is where He (Kirk) winds up spending most of his plays here   Then we could see Kirk have to prove his worth on the outside in that third year

Despite the Jaguars currently being in possession of 12 draft picks, I predict the Jaguars go through the entire draft without taking a safety.

(04-08-2022, 06:30 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 11:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Other than the fact he probably won't make any impact in 2022 due to coming off an ACL injury, I wouldn't hate that pick. When healthy, he's a very good WR. He's a classic possession WR from the slot, in the mold of a Robert Woods/Keenan Allen only faster. The problem is that Metchie is a slot receiver and we paid Kirk a lot of money. Kirk is basically useless anywhere but the slot position, so something would have to give.
Right or wrong, they didn’t sign Kirk to be a slot receiver imo. While he may play some slot, I think they want him on the outside. We shall see. I agree that Metchie would probably not have a lot of impact until late in the season if at all this year but next year I think he could push Kirk out of the slot if that is where He (Kirk) winds up spending most of his plays here   Then we could see Kirk have to prove his worth on the outside in that third year

I can't wait to see what Pederson/Taylor come up with for Kirk and the other receivers and TEs. 

If only for all of the consternation about Kirk's abilities (or lack thereof) to end. 
(Not directed at you - but there have been a handful of folks insistent he will struggle from anywhere but the slot and will limit opportunities for the TEs to thrive)

Personally, I do think Kirk will play lots of reps from the slot and I think that's a good thing. He's good at it. 
I also think it will be easy for him to be effective and not "useless" from the Z position on vertical routes down the seam and mid-to-deep crossers. Lots of ways to line these guys up and still utilize their skillsets without pounding a square peg into a round hole. Just gotta' be a little bit creative and know your players' strengths and weaknesses. 

I bet when Kirk does get reps at Z (or even X) it will happen with those positions stacked to one side or in a bunch formation making it easy to mitigate any potential issues he may have when playing "outside" -  and also allowing TEs to occupy the Y and F spots in a formation. I just don't see why I should assume Kirk can't run effective routes from such formations because he's "strictly a slot guy." 

I'd also assert that when facing zone coverage often in games (and about half of our scheduled '22 opponents favor it heavily) you could confidently line Kirk up anywhere you want and he'd get open. He has a good understanding of how to "sit down" in the soft spots of zone coverage - and there is tape of him doing it from the X and Z positions for anyone who wants to go watch it instead of relying on stats concerning his outside receiver play.

If Pederson and Taylor do what I think they'll do, the shot I'm calling is that this narrative on Kirk's limitations and hindrance to TEs is going to be proven incorrect.

I would love Metchie in the 3rd if we could get him there.  He could be a steal there and he can play outside and inside so they could move him around and play him wherever.  Metchie and Pierce are my 2 favorite WR prospects for our 3rd roumd picks.  Would be very happy with either there

(04-09-2022, 03:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I would love Metchie in the 3rd if we could get him there.  He could be a steal there and he can play outside and inside so they could move him around and play him wherever.  Metchie and Pierce are my 2 favorite WR prospects for our 3rd roumd picks.  Would be very happy with either there

I'm really high on Pierce. Big, tall, and fast.  Sort of like Treadwell, but with speed.
[Image: giphy.gif]

I think we pick 2 guys in the 2nd round

(04-05-2022, 02:03 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Jaguars trade back with Detroit and/or Washington on the opening night of the draft.

2. A new record of 14 wide receivers will be selected within the first two rounds.

3. Arizona drafts a player or trades the 23rd pick revolving around the QB position to eventually replace Kyler Murray.

4. Jelani Woods will be the first TE drafted. More than likely in RD2.

5. Evan Neal falls out of the top 5.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1.  Interesting.  Who would Detroit or Washington be after?  Who do you think the Jaguars would be after in either of those trades?  Are you talking the #1 overall pick, or the 2nd round pick?

2.  Whoa!

3.  Would make some sense.  Goodness know they don't know how to use the LBs they draft.

4.  That would be a bit of a surprise.

5.  Hmmm...

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-05-2022, 10:34 AM)Upper Wrote: Let's have some fun. Make your own personal bold prediction about the draft. Something you think will actually happen. Jags related, not Jags related...whatever you want.

Sorry to start off with one that will anger some people, but this is what I really think happens. 

My prediction: Tyler Linderbaum is available at pick 33...and the Jags don't take him.

Jags will trade the first pick.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Jaguars won't take a wide receiver until round 3 or 4. If Dotson somehow falls to round 2, I hope he'd be their pick if Linderbaum and Dean get selected in round 1. Other than Dotson, I don't believe any receivers in this class would present good value in round 2 after the top 6 get taken in round 1. The Jaguars can select David Bell at pick 70 and will never regret taking him at that spot as he should have a very good career as a number 2 receiver despite his lack of elite athleticism.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2022, 06:15 PM by Adub28.)

If he stays healthy George Pickens will end up the best WR in this class when it’s all said and done……..in b4 oline matters says he is a 6th rounder…. ?
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

(04-11-2022, 06:15 PM)Adub28 Wrote: If he stays healthy George Pickens will end up the best WR in this class when it’s all said and done……..in b4 oline matters says he is a 6th rounder…. ?

I said I wouldn't pick him until the 6th round. I actually believe he goes somewhere in round 2 or early round 3 and he will end up being a bust.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2022, 08:18 PM by surfon.)

I think pick 33 gets traded, either up or down i have no clue.

I still like the idea of picking Ross. He was a beast when healthy. I would rather take a flier on him with our second third round pick or fourth round than Pickens at 33.

(04-11-2022, 08:35 PM)Newton Wrote: I still like the idea of picking Ross. He was a beast when healthy. I would rather take a flier on him with our second third round pick or fourth round than Pickens at 33.

Ross must not be healthy then, because he had a miserable pro day. He only ran a 4.64/40 and could only manage a 31.5" vertical. Those are LB numbers. He's toast. There are way, way, way better WR prospects in this draft than Ross or Pickens.

(04-11-2022, 09:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 08:35 PM)Newton Wrote: I still like the idea of picking Ross. He was a beast when healthy. I would rather take a flier on him with our second third round pick or fourth round than Pickens at 33.

Ross must not be healthy then, because he had a miserable pro day. He only ran a 4.64/40 and could only manage a 31.5" vertical. Those are LB numbers. He's toast. There are way, way, way better WR prospects in this draft than Ross or Pickens.

It makes no sense to me to draft a WR that isn't better than the ones you already have.  Specifically, we need a speed guy that can play on the outside, preferably a tall one.  We don't need another possession receiver.  If they draft one of these slower possession type guys, that tells me that Shenault and/or Marvin are gone.  Shenault is the one likely to be traded, imo.  And they may be looking to save Marvin's salary.  But i think that's less likely.

Just draft a fast X, man.  And don't get cute with it.  I think that's what I fear most.  Baalke thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and drafting guys based on traits that he likes to project.  Just find the guys with proven performance AND the traits/combine stats that match.  Don't overthink it.
[Image: giphy.gif]

People are remembering Ross' beastly contestested catch highlights from his freshman season. If freshman Ross couldn't separate enough to not need regular circus contested catches then how is this beaten up, shell of a prospect version of Ross supposed to separate?

(04-11-2022, 09:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 09:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Ross must not be healthy then, because he had a miserable pro day. He only ran a 4.64/40 and could only manage a 31.5" vertical. Those are LB numbers. He's toast. There are way, way, way better WR prospects in this draft than Ross or Pickens.

It makes no sense to me to draft a WR that isn't better than the ones you already have.  Specifically, we need a speed guy that can play on the outside, preferably a tall one.  We don't need another possession receiver.  If they draft one of these slower possession type guys, that tells me that Shenault and/or Marvin are gone.  Shenault is the one likely to be traded, imo.  And they may be looking to save Marvin's salary.  But i think that's less likely.

Just draft a fast X, man.  And don't get cute with it.  I think that's what I fear most.  Baalke thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and drafting guys based on traits that he likes to project.  Just find the guys with proven performance AND the traits/combine stats that match.  Don't overthink it.

I don't think we have any speed receivers or possession receivers as it stands now. At least not good ones. Personally, if it were me, I draft 2 outside speed receivers and one big possession receiver. The only receiver we have now that I would consider a lock to be a starter, is Christian Kirk. Laviska Shenault and Marvin Jones should be gone. They did nothing last season to prove they belong here.

(04-11-2022, 10:43 PM)Upper Wrote: People are remembering Ross' beastly contestested catch highlights from his freshman season. If freshman Ross couldn't separate enough to not need regular circus contested catches then how is this beaten up, shell of a prospect version of Ross supposed to separate?

Agreed. The guy was diagnosed with a congenital fusion condition of his neck and spine. Two of his vertebrae were fused together as one and he needed surgery to repair it. You just don't come back from that 100%. He will most likely never be the player he was his freshman season. I tend to steer clear of any player with serious back or neck issues. Those type of things really effect how guys play and most times, shorten careers.