Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Music that does hold up

I think The Ramones hold up well. Although they were in a fairly narrowly focused genre they practically invented the low-fi, indy sound and inspired a generation.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2022, 03:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I think The Ramones hold up well. Although they were in a fairly narrowly focused genre they practically invented the low-fi, indy sound and inspired a generation.

I don’t always listen to low-fi, indy sound, but when I do, it’s The Ramones.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 08:09 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-12-2022, 04:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 03:38 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I think The Ramones hold up well. Although they were in a fairly narrowly focused genre they practically invented the low-fi, indy sound and inspired a generation.

I don’t always listen to low-fi, indy sound, but when I do, it’s The Ramones.

You’re the most interesting man I know… or at least 2nd or 5third behind those I know in real life and the beer dude. Either way, take it as a compliment.

Ps, both y’all should be older than I, maybe Marley about the same as me. What the heck is low-fi?

(04-12-2022, 08:08 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 04:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t always listen to low-fi, indy sound, but when I do, it’s The Ramones.

You’re the most interesting man I know… or at least 2nd or 5third behind those I know in real life and the beer dude. Either way, take it as a compliment.

Ps, both y’all should be older than I, maybe Marley about the same as me. What the heck is low-fi?

I dunno if there's a single definition but to me it's basically a style of recording that is deliberately or maybe sometimes inadvertently recorded with lower quality (and sometimes with performance errors) to simulate bootlegs and the like. Some bands do it just on certain recordings while others have made a career of it. It's kind of like garage bands I guess. Like The Kills, Beck, Them Crooked Vultures or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club or maybe even Radio Moscow or The White Stripes (at least some of their tracks).
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-12-2022, 08:08 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 04:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t always listen to low-fi, indy sound, but when I do, it’s The Ramones.

Lots of crackling, the sound of the needle on the record, the hum of the speaker tubes, the sound of my girl's lips brushing my ear as we slow dance on the shag carpet.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-13-2022, 06:57 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 08:08 PM)Jags Wrote: You’re the most interesting man I know… or at least 2nd or 5third behind those I know in real life and the beer dude. Either way, take it as a compliment.

I dunno if there's a single definition but to me it's basically a style of recording that is deliberately or maybe sometimes inadvertently recorded with lower quality (and sometimes with performance errors) to simulate bootlegs and the like. Some bands do it just on certain recordings while others have made a career of it. It's kind of like garage bands I guess. Like The Kills, Beck, Them Crooked Vultures or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club or maybe even Radio Moscow or The White Stripes (at least some of their tracks).

Yeah - it's a production style. Some indy stuff back in the day featured it unintentionally due to budget and a devil may care attitude toward recording quality. Now it is a throwback thing. Antiquated gear with some limitations and certain preamps and effects pushed to a near distortion level.

Instant classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."