Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Obscure Music Thread

(04-14-2022, 09:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Fever Ray is like nothing I've ever heard before. It's eerie and haunting. It's like a mixture between Gregorian chanting and Norse music. Whatever it is, it's very interesting. I first heard their music in the movie, Horns. Give them a listen. 

That description sounds like Haggard

Quote:Their style of music is an enchanting mixture of classical music, medieval music and metal.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-09-2022, 09:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 06:47 PM)Jags Wrote: JJ Grey and Mofro. 

They could be wildly popular for all I know.  I normally listen to angry crap. Full disclosure, I don’t get out much.  But love some blues/soul.  Bonus points perhaps, they’re from Jacksonville.  Check out their song “Mississippi”.   Also they did 99 shades of crazy.  Not sure if they were the originals or not.

JJ has referred to their style as "swamp funk". Great stuff!

Listening to Lochloosa on Spotify. That is the good stuff there.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-09-2022, 09:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 06:47 PM)Jags Wrote: JJ Grey and Mofro. 

They could be wildly popular for all I know.  I normally listen to angry crap. Full disclosure, I don’t get out much.  But love some blues/soul.  Bonus points perhaps, they’re from Jacksonville.  Check out their song “Mississippi”.   Also they did 99 shades of crazy.  Not sure if they were the originals or not.

JJ has referred to their style as "swamp funk". Great stuff!

Those cats are friends of mine if y'all ever want tickets to a show.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 08:40 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2022, 11:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 09:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: JJ has referred to their style as "swamp funk". Great stuff!

You know cats that play music?

I gotta see this.

Have you told JW?

I had heard they were going to be at The House of Blues in Dallas and some guy was gonna get me tickets, but they never came.   Smile
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-16-2022, 08:38 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 11:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Those cats are friends of mine if y'all ever want tickets to a show.

You know cats that play music?

I gotta see this.

Have you told JW?

I had heard they were going to be at The House of Blues in Dallas and some guy was gonna get me tickets, but they never came.   Smile

[Image: giphy.gif]

An obscure group I dig is called "Sault"

I look out for stuff that rides the fences between soul, retro-soul, Neo-soul, beat & loops, chill-out, etc for one of my driving playlists and I came across this group. If you don't like those styles at all, don't bother. LOL

Some of their stuff is produced by the same guy that has done a few Michael Kiwanuka records, if you know his stuff, which is also cool.

Here's a YouTube link to the first track I heard that piqued my interest with the crispy breakbeat - the chorus opens up to something else altogether nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qm2rPhwaQ

Wanna see obscure? Check out the Coachella 2022 lineup..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 01:17 PM by Caldrac.)

Ghostemane is the [BLEEP].

(04-16-2022, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: An obscure group I dig is called "Sault"

I look out for stuff that rides the fences between soul, retro-soul, Neo-soul, beat & loops, chill-out,  etc for one of my driving playlists and I came across this group. If you don't like those styles at all, don't bother. LOL

Some of their stuff is produced by the same guy that has done a few Michael Kiwanuka records, if you know his stuff, which is also cool.

Here's a YouTube link to the first track I heard that piqued my interest with the crispy breakbeat -  the chorus opens up to something else altogether nicely

Dude... this is dope!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 02:13 PM by Caldrac.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXdSK3Iv6Vc&t=1970s

I dig Vaporwave on my end.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-15-2022, 11:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 09:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: JJ has referred to their style as "swamp funk". Great stuff!

I may take you up on that one day although truth be told, I don't see much live music these days thanks to tinnitus courtesy of many years of auditory abuse, lol. I did see them at the beaches quite a few years ago and they were absolutely cooking. Really like the local bands in general.

(04-16-2022, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: An obscure group I dig is called "Sault"

I look out for stuff that rides the fences between soul, retro-soul, Neo-soul, beat & loops, chill-out,  etc for one of my driving playlists and I came across this group. If you don't like those styles at all, don't bother. LOL

Here's a YouTube link to the first track I heard that piqued my interest with the crispy breakbeat -  the chorus opens up to something else altogether nicely

I can dig it!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 06:38 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-16-2022, 04:10 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 11:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Those cats are friends of mine if y'all ever want tickets to a show.

I may take you up on that one day although truth be told, I don't see much live music these days thanks to tinnitus courtesy of many years of auditory abuse, lol. I did see them at the beaches quite a few years ago and they were absolutely cooking. Really like the local bands in general.

I can’t hear a damn thing you’re typing between the noise of a mower in my head and the loud [BLEEP] music in my ears to drown it out and to occupy my time.  But if I ever get tickets to see them and can hear them, that would be a blast! Gotta go, I’m hearing this high pitched sound somewhere.  Got to figure out where the hell it’s coming from.

Checked out some Fever Ray (How to Disappear Completely) and maybe I got a bad album. Kinda synthwavy to me, ok ambient stuff, but not really as advertised here. Nothing wrong with that, reminded me of something along the lines of Aphex Twin but less electronica.

reviving this thread for another recommendation, and hoping that NYC catches this one.

The Silver Apples. Late 60's psychadelia at it's finest, duo out of New York that was drums, some weird electronic instrument  and early experiments into sampling, distortion and such.

Quote:The arsenal of oscillators eventually grew (according to their first LP liner notes) to include "nine audio oscillators piled on top of each other and eighty-six manual controls to control lead, rhythm and bass pulses with hands, feet and elbows". Simeon devised a system of telegraph keys and pedals to control tonality and chord changes, and reportedly never learned to play traditional piano-styled keyboards or synthesizers. (from their wiki)

A little bit out there, but really fun stuff. Never got to see them live, but curious if NYC ever crossed paths with them.