Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(11-14-2021, 08:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 08:18 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: It's as simple as this: the defenses TL faces are far smarter, complex and crafty than anything he saw at Clemson.  The great QB's are not great because of their physical gifts (although these are always important) but because they can read the game as well as any coach.  They know the defenses they face like the backs of their hands and can see the opportunities before the ball snaps.  The Jags struggle offensively, particularly as the season progresses and oppositions defenses get more cohesive by playing together, because TL can't yet direct the receiving corp and they can't play absent his direction.

The huge advantage rookie QBs have on teams like NE is that everyone on that team already knows exactly what to do.  The QB can slot in, make a few simple decisions and know that his WRs will be on the same page.  Here, not so much. A lot of progress required.

It's as simple as this:
  • Rookie QB
  • Bad OC
  • Poor protection
  • Severe lack of receiving talent 

As the talent around him has declined via injury (Chark, Linder, Robinson) so too has Lawrence's production suffered.

I think even with those three healthy the team still has poor overall offensive talent, especially at offensive tackle, but they're each the best player in their group, and all three are either out or hindered.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-14-2021, 08:29 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 08:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's as simple as this:
  • Rookie QB
  • Bad OC
  • Poor protection
  • Severe lack of receiving talent 

As the talent around him has declined via injury (Chark, Linder, Robinson) so too has Lawrence's production suffered.

I think even with those three healthy the team still has poor overall offensive talent, especially at offensive tackle, but they're each the best player in their group, and all three are either out or hindered.

The season doesn't progress in a vacuum, though.  Other teams improve as the season progresses, too.  And they improve from a higher base.

I don't think TL is a disaster.  I think he's got incredible potential.  And it will take into next season until we see if he comes good or not.  If he's still turning out performances like this last weekend at this time next year then I'll start to get a little suspect of how he'll end up.

I honestly think a QB like Mahomes wouldn't even succeed with the talent / coaching we have right now.

Just play out the year without an injury to TLaw, hopefully learn the defenses a little better. Then sign some ACTUAL talent in free agency and have a good draft (doubt it, but we can hope) and see how he does next year.

I think we got spoiled by how well Justin Herbert played last year, that we forget that rookie QB's aren't supposed to be stars right away.

I tried to tell you all dureing the offseason trevor isn't what you thought he was. Clemson had a great defense  when trevor was there.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-14-2021, 08:41 PM)High Octane Wrote: I honestly think a QB like Mahomes wouldn't even succeed with the talent / coaching we have right now.

Just play out the year without an injury to TLaw, hopefully learn the defenses a little better. Then sign some ACTUAL talent in free agency and have a good draft (doubt it, but we can hope) and see how he does next year.

I think we got spoiled by how well Justin Herbert played last year, that we forget that rookie QB's aren't supposed to be stars right away.

Mahomes isn't even succeeding with the talent he has right now.

(11-14-2021, 08:18 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: It's as simple as this: the defenses TL faces are far smarter, complex and crafty than anything he saw at Clemson.  The great QB's are not great because of their physical gifts (although these are always important) but because they can read the game as well as any coach.  They know the defenses they face like the backs of their hands and can see the opportunities before the ball snaps.  The Jags struggle offensively, particularly as the season progresses and oppositions defenses get more cohesive by playing together, because TL can't yet direct the receiving corp and they can't play absent his direction.

The huge advantage rookie QBs have on teams like NE is that everyone on that team already knows exactly what to do.  The QB can slot in, make a few simple decisions and know that his WRs will be on the same page.  Here, not so much. A lot of progress required.
Trevor’s offense at Clemson has also stunted his development. The scheme at Clemson was abysmal.

You do realize he's not a one man Jaguars team, right? There are many cogs in that machine.

(11-14-2021, 09:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You do realize he's not a one man Jaguars team, right? There are many cogs in that machine.

according to a lot of people here Trevor was going to come in save the franchise, and turn it around.   

I kept saying all off season it takes a team,and Trevor was highly overrated. Jags would be better off keeping minshew cause of  worst O-line in nfl history. Minshew could make plays on the move. Trevor can't.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-14-2021, 10:55 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 09:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You do realize he's not a one man Jaguars team, right? There are many cogs in that machine.

according to a lot of people here Trevor was going to come in save the franchise, and turn it around.   

I kept saying all off season it takes a team,and Trevor was highly overrated. Jags would be better off keeping minshew cause of  worst O-line in nfl history. Minshew could make plays on the move. Trevor can't.

Minshew will never start another game in the NFL unless someone gets hurt

OL play has gotten a lot shakier this month. 

He looks very rushed.

(11-14-2021, 10:55 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:

BAWAHHHH.......

(11-14-2021, 11:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: OL play has gotten a lot shakier this month. 

He looks very rushed.

Yup, when you get hit every 3 drop backs, that can tend to happen.

(11-14-2021, 11:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: OL play has gotten a lot shakier this month. 

He looks very rushed.

I was going to comment about that too but I forgot. His normal cool under pressure demeanor definitely looks shaken since the second half of Seattle debacle.

Lawrence has definitely had his internal clock speed up because of the offensive line woes/wide receivers unable to create separation in a reasonable amount of time.

But he still climbs the pocket and stands in there until the last second to throw the ball, even if it amounts to him taking a nasty shot. And this is something that the CBS announcer also mentioned during the telecast.

My worry right now with watching his play is that nothing stands out as looking easy for him, aside from some of his runs for 4-5 yards. I need to start seeing some easy completions that are made on a regular basis soon or I think he needs to sit and watch. Yes, his WR core is one of the worst in the league but there are still passes out there that he HAS to complete.

(11-15-2021, 12:34 AM)Tornadosoul9 Wrote: My worry right now with watching his play is that nothing stands out as looking easy for him, aside from some of his runs for 4-5 yards.  I need to start seeing some easy completions that are made on a regular basis soon or I think he needs to sit and watch.  Yes, his WR core is one of the worst in the league but there are still passes out there that he HAS to complete.

Yeh.  He can't be missing guys.  Week one I saw a kid display arm talent and anticipation.  He forced a few things and missed a few reads but I got the impression "when the game slows down he'll becspecial." 

He's regressed the last two weeks, but that's after he stacked three games in a row where he stopped throwing pics & had ratings in the mid 90s.  

But that's part of the process.  3 games back 3 games forward etc.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 01:00 AM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-15-2021, 12:34 AM)Tornadosoul9 Wrote: My worry right now with watching his play is that nothing stands out as looking easy for him, aside from some of his runs for 4-5 yards.  I need to start seeing some easy completions that are made on a regular basis soon or I think he needs to sit and watch.  Yes, his WR core is one of the worst in the league but there are still passes out there that he HAS to complete.

The Receivers are dropping too many of the easy completions. Lawrence is missing some down field throws and his receivers can't make the easy routine catches to save their lives. 

I've lost count on how many simple 5 yard slant routes etc. that have been dropped by receivers, that have had the ball hit both hands/their chests.

This entire Offense can't get out of their own way. They have been making everything look hard, even the most simplest routine things. The penalties they continue to commit on Offense literally stalls/kills so many drives. Oh Robinson had a great 25 yard run, nope bring it back on a hold.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 01:20 AM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-15-2021, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

The Receivers are dropping too many of the easy completions. Lawrence is missing some down field throws and his receivers can't make the easy routine catches to save their lives. 

I've lost count on how many simple 5 yard slant routes etc. that have been dropped by receivers, that have had the ball hit both hands/their chests.

This entire Offense can't get out of their own way. They have been making everything look hard, even the most simplest routine things. The penalties they continue to commit on Offense literally stalls/kills so many drives. Oh Robinson had a great 25 yard run, nope bring it back on a hold.
Some on those easy drops are on Trevor too. Throwing fast balls 3 yards away makes it hard for any receiver. Let's also not forget that Lawrence too many times throws easy passes behind receivers. I honestly do not know why his accuracy is so inconsistent. That was supposed to be a strong suit of his.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-15-2021, 01:19 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote: The Receivers are dropping too many of the easy completions. Lawrence is missing some down field throws and his receivers can't make the easy routine catches to save their lives. 

Some on those easy drops are on Trevor too. Throwing fast balls 3 yards away makes it hard for any receiver. Let's also not forget that Lawrence too many times throws easy passes behind receivers. I honestly do not know why his accuracy is so inconsistent. That was supposed to be a strong suit of his.

Could go through my post history from before the draft/season of me stating multiple times that he is horrible under pressure, and has super inconsistent accuracy (@ Clemson) But I was scoffed at and called an idiot "Generational talent this and that" blah blah.

He has potential because of his physical attributes, this is true. But he was NEVER Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning. Luck came in to a much worse team than ours, and went 11-5 right off the bat. FOH with that nonsense. "Bad Oline this, bad WRs that blah blah" I see a guy miss a wide open WR multiple times a game, same as he did in college. Only difference is in college he had Tee Higgins/Amari Rogers running wide [BLEEP] open 50% of the time and he has a rocket arm.

(11-15-2021, 01:33 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 01:19 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Some on those easy drops are on Trevor too. Throwing fast balls 3 yards away makes it hard for any receiver. Let's also not forget that Lawrence too many times throws easy passes behind receivers. I honestly do not know why his accuracy is so inconsistent. That was supposed to be a strong suit of his.

Could go through my post history from before the draft/season of me stating multiple times that he is horrible under pressure, and has super inconsistent accuracy (@ Clemson) But I was scoffed at and called an idiot "Generational talent this and that" blah blah.

He has potential because of his physical attributes, this is true. But he was NEVER Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning. Luck came in to a much worse team than ours, and went 11-5 right off the bat. FOH with that nonsense. "Bad Oline this, bad WRs that blah blah" I see a guy miss a wide open WR multiple times a game, same as he did in college. Only difference is in college he had Tee Higgins/Amari Rogers running wide [BLEEP] open 50% of the time and he has a rocket arm.

Hilarious trying to say that colts team he went to was much worse than ours.