Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(11-15-2021, 01:19 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote: The Receivers are dropping too many of the easy completions. Lawrence is missing some down field throws and his receivers can't make the easy routine catches to save their lives. 

I've lost count on how many simple 5 yard slant routes etc. that have been dropped by receivers, that have had the ball hit both hands/their chests.

This entire Offense can't get out of their own way. They have been making everything look hard, even the most simplest routine things. The penalties they continue to commit on Offense literally stalls/kills so many drives. Oh Robinson had a great 25 yard run, nope bring it back on a hold.
Some on those easy drops are on Trevor too. Throwing fast balls 3 yards away makes it hard for any receiver. Let's also not forget that Lawrence too many times throws easy passes behind receivers. I honestly do not know why his accuracy is so inconsistent. That was supposed to be a strong suit of his.

Do you think every other QB is throwing perfect passes to their receivers? No. Even the elite QBs are throwing balls that are high and not straight on the numbers. The difference is when their receivers gets two hands on the ball they typically catch it. Too many times that isn't the case for our receivers. They get two hands on it and still drop it.

Could Lawrence take a little mustard off the ball at times? Definitely, but when your receivers are struggling to separate and your OL is getting you hit every 3 drop backs, he has no choice but to rifle that ball most of the time. Everything is tight and contested for this Offense. They don't get open on their own and it doesn't seem like they do much to scheme anybody open either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-15-2021, 01:52 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 01:19 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Some on those easy drops are on Trevor too. Throwing fast balls 3 yards away makes it hard for any receiver. Let's also not forget that Lawrence too many times throws easy passes behind receivers. I honestly do not know why his accuracy is so inconsistent. That was supposed to be a strong suit of his.

Do you think every other QB is throwing perfect passes to their receivers? No. Even the elite QBs are throwing balls that are high and not straight on the numbers. The difference is when their receivers gets two hands on the ball they typically catch it. Too many times that isn't the case for our receivers. They get two hands on it and still drop it.

Could Lawrence take a little mustard off the ball at times? Definitely, but when your receivers are struggling to separate and your OL is getting you hit every 3 drop backs, he has no choice but to rifle that ball most of the time. Everything is tight and contested for this Offense. They don't get open on their own and it doesn't seem like they do much to scheme anybody open either.

That ball that Lawrence threw to Arnold in the first, pretty sure when they showed the replay, Arnold looked like Neo in the matrix actually dodging a bullet. Maybe I was wrong (couldn't rewind it) but when they showed that replay, I could've swore he actually leaned away from it and looked at it when it went past him. Anyone else see that or was I seeing things?

(11-15-2021, 02:15 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 01:52 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Do you think every other QB is throwing perfect passes to their receivers? No. Even the elite QBs are throwing balls that are high and not straight on the numbers. The difference is when their receivers gets two hands on the ball they typically catch it. Too many times that isn't the case for our receivers. They get two hands on it and still drop it.

That ball that Lawrence threw to Arnold in the first, pretty sure when they showed the replay, Arnold looked like Neo in the matrix actually dodging a bullet. Maybe I was wrong (couldn't rewind it) but when they showed that replay, I could've swore he actually leaned away from it and looked at it when it went past him. Anyone else see that or was I seeing things?

He did. He literally flinched and turned his shoulder like he was afraid of the ball. Maybe he thought the ball was suppose to go to somebody behind him, but Lawrence clearly put it right on him. Just one of many cases of the receivers not getting their head turned around looking for the football.

Viska had a similar play later in the game where he was late getting his head around to look for the football and it ended up going right over his shoulder. If they both turn their head a second or so sooner it's an easy completion. That is if they don't butter fingers the catch.

(11-14-2021, 11:55 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 11:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: OL play has gotten a lot shakier this month. 

He looks very rushed.

Yup, when you get hit every 3 drop backs, that can tend to happen.

(11-15-2021, 12:21 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 11:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: OL play has gotten a lot shakier this month. 

He looks very rushed.

I was going to comment about that too but I forgot. His normal cool under pressure demeanor definitely looks shaken since the second half of Seattle debacle.

Agreed. He takes a pretty long stride when he throws normally and too many times lately, when he throws you see he's either flat footed or taking like half the stride length due to the pressure in his face. 

And please Bevell, for the love of God, stop rolling him towards Taylor.

(11-15-2021, 05:12 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 11:55 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yup, when you get hit every 3 drop backs, that can tend to happen.

(11-15-2021, 12:21 AM)Upper Wrote: I was going to comment about that too but I forgot. His normal cool under pressure demeanor definitely looks shaken since the second half of Seattle debacle.

Agreed. He takes a pretty long stride when he throws normally and too many times lately, when he throws you see he's either flat footed or taking like half the stride length due to the pressure in his face. 

And please Bevell, for the love of God, stop rolling him towards Taylor.

Yes.
Agreed on all points/suggestions.

The path to helping him perform is pretty obvious right now

You guys crack me up...lol patience,,,,
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-14-2021, 08:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 08:41 PM)High Octane Wrote: I honestly think a QB like Mahomes wouldn't even succeed with the talent / coaching we have right now.

Just play out the year without an injury to TLaw, hopefully learn the defenses a little better. Then sign some ACTUAL talent in free agency and have a good draft (doubt it, but we can hope) and see how he does next year.

I think we got spoiled by how well Justin Herbert played last year, that we forget that rookie QB's aren't supposed to be stars right away.

Mahomes isn't even succeeding with the talent he has right now.
Well this sure didn't age well.....

Jeff Prosser out of breath he’s going off so hard when a rube called in to say we should bench Lawrence for a couple of games to let Beathard play.

(11-15-2021, 09:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 08:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mahomes isn't even succeeding with the talent he has right now.
Well this sure didn't age well.....

Against a hapless defense with an interim HC. Every other team figured out the formula to defend KC and Oakland decided to try their own thing. That's on them.

(11-15-2021, 02:28 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 02:15 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote: That ball that Lawrence threw to Arnold in the first, pretty sure when they showed the replay, Arnold looked like Neo in the matrix actually dodging a bullet. Maybe I was wrong (couldn't rewind it) but when they showed that replay, I could've swore he actually leaned away from it and looked at it when it went past him. Anyone else see that or was I seeing things?

He did. He literally flinched and turned his shoulder like he was afraid of the ball. Maybe he thought the ball was suppose to go to somebody behind him, but Lawrence clearly put it right on him. Just one of many cases of the receivers not getting their head turned around looking for the football.

Viska had a similar play later in the game where he was late getting his head around to look for the football and it ended up going right over his shoulder. If they both turn their head a second or so sooner it's an easy completion. That is if they don't butter fingers the catch.

If Arnold had any expectation of a pass possibly coming his way out of the break he could have caught it. The pass went right in front of his sternum by about a foot, it was perfectly placed.

Also, something people seem to have somehow forgotten is that Lawrence was playing with an ankle injury. Already having an ankle injury and being repeatedly hit during the game probably doesn't do good things for a guy's throwing platform mechanics.

My biggest worry with Lawrence isn't anything to do with his abilities, it's the do with Meyer's ability to select talent in the draft to actually help Lawrence.

The offensive line is a bunch of backup (or worse) level guys once you get past Linder and Norwell, and Norwell is (in my opinion) a mid-tier starter, not a star by any stretch. Plus Linder hasn't played in a month.

The leading receiver for the last month is a tight end that signed a small free agent contract in the off season and is 220 pounds. Robinson is a good running back, but he doesn't have long speed, so in most cases even when he gets to the second level he will just get run down. The only deep threat we have at receiver is an undersized returner/corner.

I think Bevell could have done better earlier in the season before Chark got injured, but right now the cupboard looks pretty bare. Right now about the only thing I think we can properly evaluate is that the team has a bottom 5 in the league level of talent, overall.

(11-14-2021, 05:31 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Despite the cant miss generational talent talk he has looked terrible most of this season. He makes easy throws look difficult. Accuracy, awareness, and game management is terrible right now

Numbers don't lie and be is clearly the worst in most Qb categories.  The potential is there and time will tell if he lives up to it.

Regardless of his potential he is easily one of if not the worst starting Qb right now.  His receivers share some responsibility but the majority of his struggles are on him. 

Having the worst completion percentage on 3rd down alone speaks volumes.

I'm going to say that a coordinator that repeatedly puts you in 3rd and long isn't gonna help that percentage, either.

He's got a bucket of poo to work with out there, Jones/Shenault/Agnew aren't going to instill fear in any DC we face.

The continual harebrained penalties that take away positive plays kill us. Nothing like starting a series with 1st and 15 or 2nd and 12.

(11-14-2021, 06:08 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I remember seeing post like this about Gabbert/Blake in their rookie seasons aswell.

Same ignorant posters defending the golden boy like he's a perfect god sent down from football heaven. If he turns out good, that's great. But some of us expected it to be a rough transition and were just laughed at. He has to prove he's worth it now, and as of now he's done nothing to show promise since entering the league.

You know how I know you didn't watch Gabbs or Bort play?

Tlaw has the ability. The scheme/play calls are doing him no favors. Losing Chark hurt us bad. Heck, Losing JRob for a game and a half hurt us bad. Some of the misses are communication issues, others are him dumping balls to avoid a sack.

If y'all want to throw the towel in on him already, not gonna stop you, but it's not like this kid is Jared Goff or anything. Sheesh.

(11-15-2021, 08:25 AM)Jag149 Wrote: You guys crack me up...lol  patience,,,,

We could be patient for 100 years and nothing would change when we have poor coaches teaching these guys and idiots in the front office who keep drafting and signing poor players. I'm sick of hearing about patience. We're Jaguars' fans. We've had plenty of patience since 1995 and we are no further than we were back then. All I was looking forward to this season was watching the offense get better, but it's gotten worse since week one. The offensive playcalling has been completely inept. It's not just my opinion, it's almost the entire fanbase that can see this.

(11-14-2021, 07:16 PM)Holger Wrote: He regressed the last two games. Today was probably the worst, esp. in the first half. He is better than Bortles from what I can remember or Minshew, but he is not Mac Jones. It’s fair to compre him to tbe other rookies and he’s not seperating - at all. I remember the first drive vs. Broncos, that was great. But I see a lot of miscommunications, inaccurate throws, not seeing what’s available and dart where touch is needed. He needs to get better, should use his legs more in thr meantime.

Take away Agnew's run in the first half. How many yards rushing did we have at that point? Bevell is doing his QB no favors. I get that they were trying to ease JRob back in to his reps, but Hyde was not getting his number called nor was he doing anything when he did get the ball.

We can't rely on gimmicks to be our run game. We have a line that is built with run blocking guys, and we refuse to even attempt to establish a run game. It's no wonder we ended up with so many threes and out yesterday.

(11-14-2021, 08:18 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: It's as simple as this: the defenses TL faces are far smarter, complex and crafty than anything he saw at Clemson.  The great QB's are not great because of their physical gifts (although these are always important) but because they can read the game as well as any coach.  They know the defenses they face like the backs of their hands and can see the opportunities before the ball snaps.  The Jags struggle offensively, particularly as the season progresses and oppositions defenses get more cohesive by playing together, because TL can't yet direct the receiving corp and they can't play absent his direction.

The huge advantage rookie QBs have on teams like NE is that everyone on that team already knows exactly what to do.  The QB can slot in, make a few simple decisions and know that his WRs will be on the same page.  Here, not so much. A lot of progress required.

so you're saying the coaches at the shield level are incapable of teaching him the intricacies of next-level defensive schemes? Or maybe half the players he faced at Clemson don't end up even on a practice squad at the next level?

....or maybe it's because our OC refuses to even attempt a running game, and forces the QB to dig the team out of long-yardage situations to get new sets of downs?

....or maybe it's because outside of JRob, our next best RB is a WR converted from a DB, and the next best after him is also a WR?

(11-15-2021, 10:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: We can't rely on gimmicks to be our run game. We have a line that is built with run blocking guys, and we refuse to even attempt to establish a run game. It's no wonder we ended up with so many threes and out yesterday.

You don't think starting 4 out of our 5 first half drives (not counting the one we got with 36 seconds left in the half) with a run isn't trying to establish the run?

Although Lawrence on paper has shown that his play has been poor. There is obviously so much potential, he won't be a bust. I feel bad for the man because he was thrown into an offense that has zero weapons other than Robinson. Also Bevell does not know what he is doing. Once this team completes the rebuild in one to two seasons. The division is ours.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 02:07 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-15-2021, 01:33 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 01:19 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Some on those easy drops are on Trevor too. Throwing fast balls 3 yards away makes it hard for any receiver. Let's also not forget that Lawrence too many times throws easy passes behind receivers. I honestly do not know why his accuracy is so inconsistent. That was supposed to be a strong suit of his.

Could go through my post history from before the draft/season of me stating multiple times that he is horrible under pressure, and has super inconsistent accuracy (@ Clemson) But I was scoffed at and called an idiot "Generational talent this and that" blah blah.

He has potential because of his physical attributes, this is true. But he was NEVER Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning. Luck came in to a much worse team than ours, and went 11-5 right off the bat. FOH with that nonsense. "Bad Oline this, bad WRs that blah blah" I see a guy miss a wide open WR multiple times a game, same as he did in college. Only difference is in college he had Tee Higgins/Amari Rogers running wide [BLEEP] open 50% of the time and he has a rocket arm.

Luck did have some really good receivers including a should be HOFer.  We have receivers that are #2 or #3 on most teams.  But yes accuracy is a major concern with Lawrence.

(11-15-2021, 01:52 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

Apples to oranges.  Yes Elite Qb's throw errand throws.  Elite's may throw 1 in 10 errand throws.  Lawrence is throwing aboout 50% errand throws.

I do understand theses receivers are dropping balls they should be catching. (That Agnew sideline pass in the first quarter for example) My issue is Lawrence is making the easy stuff look hard. Short routes where Lawrence could throw the ball and leading the receiver he often throws it behind the receiver or a 500mph fast ball right at them. It's not just the receivers. He seems shook right now.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

While it’s easy to get upset with the offense and Trevor’s recent performances, I still think our arrow is pointed upwards. While it was tempting to believe that a new quarterback would solve all of our problems, it turns out that this is still a team sport, and even very good prospects may not be able to eliminate rookie mistakes. However, clearly the team is progressing. We have a ton of cap room, and I still have a lot of faith that Trevor Lawrence will be the long-term solution for us a quarterback. This season may be one long preseason, but next season this team is going to start to actually make some waves.