Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elon Musk now owns Twitter

(06-17-2022, 04:17 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-17-2022, 04:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: SpaceX responds with the ax.

Good.. There should be consequences, even for words.

Important to remember, it is typically against the law to fire an employee for expressing an opinion on politics.  They are saying that some of the employees harassed each other while distributing the letter.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-17-2022, 06:20 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-17-2022, 04:17 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Good.. There should be consequences, even for words.

Important to remember, it is typically against the law to fire an employee for expressing an opinion on politics.  They are saying that some of the employees harassed each other while distributing the letter.

Wrong..

SpaceX main headquarters is in California, which is an employment at will state, much like Florida, where you can be fired for any reason at any time.. That's the law..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-17-2022, 06:31 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-17-2022, 06:20 PM)mikesez Wrote: Important to remember, it is typically against the law to fire an employee for expressing an opinion on politics.  They are saying that some of the employees harassed each other while distributing the letter.

Wrong..

SpaceX main headquarters is in California, which is an employment at will state, much like Florida, where you can be fired for any reason at any time.. That's the law..

Yes, but there are also federal employment laws.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022, 06:46 PM by homebiscuit.)

(06-17-2022, 05:44 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-17-2022, 04:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: SpaceX responds with the ax.

SpaceAx?

Nice.

I guess they don’t have to worry about Musk anymore. This is the hubris today’s woke culture has bred.

The only time they can't fire someone without getting into trouble is if it violates state and federal anti discrimination laws. These folks don't fit that description.

(06-17-2022, 06:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The only time they can't fire someone without getting into trouble is if it violates state and federal anti discrimination laws. These folks don't fit that description.

Right, federal law does not make political opinions a protected category in employment law, but California state law does. I'm sure SpaceX covered their bases though, they let a day or two pass before doing anything

They could have easily made a statement and forwarded a petition outside of work but instead used SpaceX facilities and paid time. Good luck finding another job that pays as well as SpaceX, dummies.

(06-17-2022, 07:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: They could have easily made a statement and forwarded a petition outside of work but instead used SpaceX facilities and paid time. Good luck finding another job that pays as well as SpaceX, dummies.

When you're testing boundaries, watch for the cliff..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-17-2022, 07:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: They could have easily made a statement and forwarded a petition outside of work but instead used SpaceX facilities and paid time. Good luck finding another job that pays as well as SpaceX, dummies.

From what I understand SpaceX actually has the lowest pay and highest expectations in the field.  ULA and Boeing are much more likely 40 hour jobs and Bezos Blue Origin pays more too.  People say SpaceX is preferable because they have less bureaucracy so people who really understand the work can advance their careers much faster.  The legacy guys working on Atlas V, Delta IV, Orion, and SLS will silo you off to learn just one thing while you wait for the guy who already knows that thing to retire.

(06-17-2022, 07:08 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-17-2022, 06:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The only time they can't fire someone without getting into trouble is if it violates state and federal anti discrimination laws. These folks don't fit that description.

Right, federal law does not make political opinions a protected category in employment law, but California state law does. I'm sure SpaceX covered their bases though, they let a day or two pass before doing anything

They weren't fired for their political views.

(06-17-2022, 08:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:

From what I understand SpaceX actually has the lowest pay and highest expectations in the field.  ULA and Boeing are much more likely 40 hour jobs and Bezos Blue Origin pays more too.  People say SpaceX is preferable because they have less bureaucracy so people who really understand the work can advance their careers much faster.  The legacy guys working on Atlas V, Delta IV, Orion, and SLS will silo you off to learn just one thing while you wait for the guy who already knows that thing to retire.

I know two guys who work at SpaceX and both tell me the pay is very good.

Bummer. I wonder what this will do for its stock prices. 

Elon Musk tells Twitter he's terminating deal to buy social media giant | Fox Business

(07-08-2022, 05:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Bummer. I wonder what this will do for its stock prices. 

Elon Musk tells Twitter he's terminating deal to buy social media giant | Fox Business

Brilliant!  He destroyed their credibility and left them hanging.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Meh. I know a lot of people got their hopes up, but the truth is that Twitter's value hinges on its users, and if they can't show it in a reasonable way, the smart play is to leave.

I've read a pretty well written essay giving the opinion that Twitter can either be like a telephone service, or like a newspaper service. If they just relay messages to users that users have subscribed to, in the time order that they were sent, they are a telephone service. If they attempt to favor and disfavor certain messages, and use and algorithm to rearrange them, they are a newspaper. Telephone services are never liable for what they communicate but newspaper services always are. The essay said Twitter and Facebook are trying to have their cake and rat it too, and they should be forced to choose. I couldn't find a reason to disagree. What sdo you think?

Yeah, we had this discussion like 2 years ago, man.

This just shows how much Twitter and other social media platforms don't care about who uses them. They refused to comply with the one thing that Musk required to close the deal and I'm pretty sure it was on purpose. They never wanted him to buy it so if they could hold out long enough he might back out, which he did. 

These platforms hide foreign and domestic terrorists, pedophiles, human trafficking, self harm groups, etc., and allow who knows how many fake accounts. They cancelled certain conservatives but allow known terrorists (Iran, Taliban, etc.) to do what they please. They allow groups both far left and far right to organize riots. 

Musk has better things to put his money into.

(07-08-2022, 10:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: I've read a pretty well written essay giving the opinion that Twitter can either be like a telephone service, or like a newspaper service.  If they just relay messages to users that users have subscribed to, in the time order that they were sent, they are a telephone service.  If they attempt to favor and disfavor certain messages, and use and algorithm to rearrange them, they are a newspaper.  Telephone services are never liable for what they communicate but newspaper services always are.  The essay said Twitter and Facebook are trying to have their cake and rat it too, and they should be forced to choose.  I couldn't find a reason to disagree.  What sdo you think?

+1

I think this whole thing was setup by Musk to attack the SEC for what they have done to him. Now if they don't charge the board with financial crimes he can go after them. Crashing twitter was an additional benefit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(07-08-2022, 10:37 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Yeah, we had this discussion like 2 years ago, man.

I know but it didn't go anywhere.  The right seems to think that if they can change the law and make Twitter liable for its editorial decisions, that they will be able to sue, punish and weaken Twitter for muting them.  But that's not how it would work.  Newspapers aren't liable for the true or plausible stories that they refuse to publish.  Newspapers are only ever liable for false or defamatory stories that they choose to publish.  While removing Twitter's immunity will do some good for everyone (but Twitter), it probably won't help right wing politicians much.