Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Luke Fortner Center Pick 65 Kentucky

(09-21-2022, 09:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 08:14 AM)Mikey Wrote: medium rare, maybe?

Did some digging.

Looks like it's just "medium" according to this official chart. 

[Image: centersff97a453bc8d000a.png]

Lol.  Nice.

I expect it's really common for 1st and maybe 2nd round rookie centers to start.  As a 3rd rounder, I was surprised he took the honors from Shatley, and it was barely even a competition...  Dude was handed the keys to the starting role months ago.  Hopefully that means he'll settle in soon and play pretty well in the near future.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-20-2022, 10:42 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 08:18 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: I still don't think he should have started this year. Very rare to see rookie centers starting.

"Very rare"? Do your homework.

NH3...

Would you rather I said rare?

He is a smart and young prospect who should develop in our system.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Luke Fortner

Offensive snaps - 1,121 (3rd most in the NFL)
Penalties - 4
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 49.6

Jawaan Taylor

Offensive snaps - 1,095
Penalties - 7
Sacks Allowed - 5
Overall grade - 58.7

Brandon Scherff

Offensive snaps - 1,086 (10th most in the NFL)
Penalties - 3
Sacks Allowed - 6 (3rd highest at his position in NFL)
Overall grade - 59.0

Cam Robinson

Offensive snaps - 913
Penalties - 8
Sacks Allowed - 4
Overall grade - 67.2

Tyler Shatley

Offensive snaps -819
Penalties - 2
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 60.9

Walker Little

Offensive Snaps -234
Penalties - 2
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 61.1

————————————————

Offensive Lineman with highest rating - Cam Robinson
Offensive Lineman with the lowest rating - Luke Fortner

Total sacks given up - 28 (6th best in the NFL)

*Amount of games with 0 sacks allowed - 6 (single season record)

The Jaguars rushed for a total of 2,116 yards (5th in team history)

Jags passed for 4,148 yards (3rd highest in team history)

Lawrence’s comp percent = 66.1 ( highest in team history)

Completions - 394 (single season record)

Lawrence was sacked 25 times (3rd best in team history)

Passer rating - 93.9 (2nd highest in team history)

Etienne - 2nd highest ypc in team history = 5.1

Kirk receiving TD - 8 (tied for 3rd most in a single season)

Kirk receptions - 84 (4th most in single season)

Engram most receptions and yards by a Jag TE in a
single season 73 receptions for 766 yards

I would never say a position can’t be upgraded, but I would say the offensive line did pretty good this year. Set some single season team records on offense, made the playoffs, had a thousand yard rusher, thousand yard receiver, and Lawrence threw for 4,000+ yards, and we went multiple games without allowing a sack.

(01-08-2023, 03:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Luke Fortner

Penalties - 4
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 49.6

Jawaan Taylor

Offensive snaps - 1,095
Penalties - 7
Sacks Allowed - 5
Overall grade - 58.7

Brandon Scherff

Penalties - 3
Overall grade - 59.0

Cam Robinson

Offensive snaps - 913
Penalties - 8
Sacks Allowed - 4
Overall grade - 67.2

Tyler Shatley

Offensive snaps -819
Penalties - 2
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 60.9

Walker Little

Offensive Snaps -234
Penalties - 2
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 61.1

————————————————

I would never say a position can’t be upgraded, but I would say the offensive line did pretty good this year. Set some single season team records on offense, made the playoffs, had a thousand yard rusher, thousand yard receiver, and Lawrence threw for 4,000+ yards, and we went multiple games without allowing a sack.
  A guy 'round here used to say "I wouldn't worry about that"
 I'm going to go on a little bit of rant here:
The days of the hogs, Dallas in the early 90s, Denver in the late 90s with zone blocking is over. It doesn't start upfront anymore. I'm not going to go too deep into it,  but if you have talent at a few key positions: Franchise Qb, Superstar Wr / an unselfish workmanlike group and/or a game breaking TE, you will get leeway and a blindeye from the guys that can sway a game concerning the OL. All they have to do is keep it from being obvious. It doesn't matter who you put there.

The Jaguars Offensive Line is still near the worst in the league at pass pro. win rate.
Winning only 48% of their matchups.  31st in the league.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3453...s#pbwrteam

And - as has been obvious in recent weeks - they aren't much better in the run game with a 70% win rate which is good for 28th in the league.

Fans are understandably confused by limited sacks and some big gains from ETN, but make no mistake, these things are happening in spite of a struggling offensive line. Not because of that line. 

Pederson is calling the right plays for Trevor to get the ball out quick, and when he can't, he evades pressure VERY well. 
This disguises the OL struggles. 

ETN makes up for the his line by getting really big gains on the good blocks and creating something from nothing at other times when contacted at or behind the LOS. 

Fortner, coincidentally, is one of the worst offenders in the bunch. I still have some hope for him, as he's a rookie and can get stronger and smarter as he acclimates. But he has not played well on way too many of his snaps. 

I will be watching with great interest in March what takes place in free agency and then the draft a few weeks later. 
This unit needs to be better to protect our franchise quarterback more effectively. I hope we add a LG who could also play Center if Fortner does not improve. Cam Robinson will be here next year, but I think they should seek to upgrade him in 2024 as well. 

With a little luck, Fortner steps up in year 2, we draft a guard that competes with Bartch at LG, and the loser of the battle becomes solid depth behind Scherrf and the starter at LG. We know Scherff may not last a full season and he's playing through injury now.

(01-08-2023, 03:41 PM)Thewitnessofsolinvictus Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 03:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Luke Fortner

Penalties - 4
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 49.6

Jawaan Taylor

Offensive snaps - 1,095
Penalties - 7
Sacks Allowed - 5
Overall grade - 58.7

Brandon Scherff

Penalties - 3
Overall grade - 59.0

Cam Robinson

Offensive snaps - 913
Penalties - 8
Sacks Allowed - 4
Overall grade - 67.2

Tyler Shatley

Offensive snaps -819
Penalties - 2
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 60.9

Walker Little

Offensive Snaps -234
Penalties - 2
Sacks Allowed - 1
Overall grade - 61.1

————————————————

A guy 'round here used to say "I wouldn't worry about that"
 I'm going to go on a little bit of rant here:
The days of the hogs, Dallas in the early 90s, Denver in the late 90s with zone blocking is over. It doesn't start upfront anymore. I'm not going to go too deep into it,  but if you have talent at a few key positions: Franchise Qb, Superstar Wr / an unselfish workmanlike group and/or a game breaking TE, you will get leeway and a blindeye from the guys that can sway a game concerning the OL. All they have to do is keep it from being obvious. It doesn't matter who you put there.

You’re speaking straight facts. It’s all about the QB.

A rookie playing over 1100 snaps and only 1 sack allowed?!?!

Its impressive but there's work to be done. We need improvement in the run blocking area and Lawrence still needs more time in the pocket.

Not trying to [BLEEP] on these guys because its been up and down for everybody this year but its forgivable.

Lawrence has a stupid high release rate though. He was sandwiched in between Brady and Mahomes I think in 2022 release wise.

The kid is quick. He's reading the defenses presnap really well. If Fortner can get stronger in the off season though he'll only make his QB look better.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Fortner is doing veteran type stuff at the line. Acting like he’s calling out blitz pickups and then quick snapping the ball in order to catch the defense off guard and to buy Lawrence some extra time.

Fortner and Lawrence, sounds good to me.

Now let Pederson and Baalke find themselves a LG and a RT in the next few years... I think we may just be OK.

Not writing anyone off , we have now learnt wjth Lawrence what first year syndrome looks like

Same goes for walker, llyod, fortner and muma

Too much hand wringing about players who are rookies. Players almost always get better in year 2.

(01-10-2023, 08:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Too much hand wringing about players who are rookies.  Players almost always get better in year 2.

Agreed. Also, playing in high stakes games with divisional championships on the line and now play-off's? That's invaluable experience for any young player. 

The more comfortable and familiar you become with playing deeper into the season, and getting acclimated with tougher competition, the better. 

I still think Fortner, historically, will be just fine for the Jaguars. He fits a long line of traditions of this team getting the Center and Runningback position correct regardless of the front office. Meester - Linder - Fortner.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-10-2023, 09:00 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 08:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Too much hand wringing about players who are rookies.  Players almost always get better in year 2.

Agreed. Also, playing in high stakes games with divisional championships on the line and now play-off's? That's invaluable experience for any young player. 

The more comfortable and familiar you become with playing deeper into the season, and getting acclimated with tougher competition, the better. 

I still think Fortner, historically, will be just fine for the Jaguars. He fits a long line of traditions of this team getting the Center and Runningback position correct regardless of the front office. Meester - Linder - Fortner.

Bruh, how you forget the Naval Destroyer?

[Image: sep-1995-offensive-lineman-dave-widell-o...e-id347937]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2023, 09:12 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 09:00 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed. Also, playing in high stakes games with divisional championships on the line and now play-off's? That's invaluable experience for any young player. 

Bruh, how you forget the Naval Destroyer?

[Image: sep-1995-offensive-lineman-dave-widell-o...e-id347937]
Loved Widell.  You know he was a…uh…’chippy’ player because every time some [BLEEP] was going on behind the play he was involved.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]