Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fairgrounds moving to the Westsiiide

(05-04-2022, 07:23 PM)Jags Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 02:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Now instead of not traveling 30 miles to the fair, I will not be traveling 45 miles to the fair.

You may not be the demographic they are targeting.  I think they’re targeting those that get paid Friday, spend 20-40 at the fair that night, purchase meth or weed from “their guy”  have their girlfriend do grocery shopping Saturday along with the Saturday night party in which they buy a handle then call the boss on Monday saying they don’t have gas money to get into work.  Seen it a million times.

Damn, the more I think about it, JAX is probably kicking themselves that they don’t encompass Hastings/Palatka.

Lol.... now that you described it that way, I may just have to go so I can feel better about the path I took in life.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-07-2022, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...Tgk2O-WGqA

This is good news. If you look at the comments sections of local news stories, it's appalling how many Shad Khan haters there are in Jacksonville. Some base it strictly on the Jaguars. Others just want this city to remain a backwater in order to cater to their desire to live small simple lives. 

They should build the Sail. I think this would be a great identity for Jacksonville and I've loved it ever since first seeing it. 

[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amaz...nphoto.jpg]

(05-05-2022, 08:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 07:23 PM)Jags Wrote: You may not be the demographic they are targeting.  I think they’re targeting those that get paid Friday, spend 20-40 at the fair that night, purchase meth or weed from “their guy”  have their girlfriend do grocery shopping Saturday along with the Saturday night party in which they buy a handle then call the boss on Monday saying they don’t have gas money to get into work.  Seen it a million times.

Damn, the more I think about it, JAX is probably kicking themselves that they don’t encompass Hastings/Palatka.

Lol.... now that you described it that way, I may just have to go so I can feel better about the path I took in life.

I’m willing to bet the path you took is light years ahead of some of the people I encounter.

(05-07-2022, 12:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-07-2022, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...Tgk2O-WGqA

This is good news. If you look at the comments sections of local news stories, it's appalling how many Shad Khan haters there are in Jacksonville. Some base it strictly on the Jaguars. Others just want this city to remain a backwater in order to cater to their desire to live small simple lives. 

They should build the Sail. I think this would be a great identity for Jacksonville and I've loved it ever since first seeing it. 

Do you really believe there are so many who hate Kahn?  I think this sentiment gets somewhat overstated.  Personal hate and criticism of how he manages the organization are two very different things.

Anyone is free to spend their own money on development.  Asking the city for financial commitments is another matter and entitles taxpayers to a voice.  Expressing disagreement about the economic impact of said development is part of the process.  Personally, I'm not against municipal involvement, but there are valid concerns to address when considering the viability of projects in that portion of the city.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Agreed on all points.

PCL doesn't eff around.  That's the most professional organization around.  They wouldn't have taken the job if it didn't have proper engineering and financing.  That's great news for Jax, finally!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-08-2022, 08:09 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-07-2022, 12:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is good news. If you look at the comments sections of local news stories, it's appalling how many Shad Khan haters there are in Jacksonville. Some base it strictly on the Jaguars. Others just want this city to remain a backwater in order to cater to their desire to live small simple lives. 

Do you really believe there are so many who hate Kahn?  I think this sentiment gets somewhat overstated.  Personal hate and criticism of how he manages the organization are two very different things.

Anyone is free to spend their own money on development.  Asking the city for financial commitments is another matter and entitles taxpayers to a voice.  Expressing disagreement about the economic impact of said development is part of the process.  Personally, I'm not against municipal involvement, but there are valid concerns to address when considering the viability of projects in that portion of the city.

Haters is a stronger term than I should have used but the fact of the matter is there is a sizable amount of people in this city who automatically denounce any project that may have Shad Khan's name attached. They use any excuse from the Jaguars win/loss record to the fact he's just some wealthy guy trying to ruin their idea of a quaint city. Jacksonville lags behind the rest of Florida because so many in this city are afraid of change and even more afraid that a project might cost them an additional $10.50 a year in taxes. Couple that with a city council which has members that vote against a project simply because they can gloat that they thwarted a billionaire's plans.  

Jacksonville is largely a backwater because too many here have a backwater attitude. It has tons of potential occupied by too many who are unwilling to pursue it. Of course, there are valid concerns to address but some don't want to address them at all.  Brian Kilmeade was right.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 09:48 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 4 times in total.)

That's a pretty decent looking piece of architecture. It would certainly replace the boxy Independent Life/Wells Fargo bldg as the new recognizable icon for Downtown. I do hope they get the lean out of it tho, unless they are going for the Italian-meets-modernist look.

One of my favorite new styles is the Jenga look. There's a good example of that in Jersey City, across the Hudson from the WTC complex. Maybe we could rebuild Berkman II in that style.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-05-2022, 08:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 07:23 PM)Jags Wrote: You may not be the demographic they are targeting.  I think they’re targeting those that get paid Friday, spend 20-40 at the fair that night, purchase meth or weed from “their guy”  have their girlfriend do grocery shopping Saturday along with the Saturday night party in which they buy a handle then call the boss on Monday saying they don’t have gas money to get into work.  Seen it a million times.

Maybe those people had it a million times harder than your cozy suburban upbringing.

(05-09-2022, 09:43 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 08:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol.... now that you described it that way, I may just have to go so I can feel better about the path I took in life.

Maybe those people had it a million times harder than your cozy suburban upbringing.

I was actually 1 of 4 kids raised by a single parent after my dad died of an aneurysm when I was 6 months old.  Definitely didn't have $$ but we really didn't need anything back then; just a baseball glove, basketball, football, and a rag to wrap around your hand for playing tetherball.

(05-09-2022, 09:41 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-07-2022, 12:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is good news. If you look at the comments sections of local news stories, it's appalling how many Shad Khan haters there are in Jacksonville. Some base it strictly on the Jaguars. Others just want this city to remain a backwater in order to cater to their desire to live small simple lives. 

That's a pretty decent looking piece of architecture.  It would certainly replace the boxy Independent Life/Wells Fargo bldg as the new recognizable icon for Downtown. I do hope they get the lean out of it tho, unless they are going for the Italian-meets-modernist look.

One of my favorite new styles is the Jenga look.  There's a good example of that in Jersey City, across the Hudson from the WTC complex.  Maybe we could rebuild Berkman II in that style.

I believe this rendering focuses on the hypotenuse to create that visual effect and the far side is vertical (makes the elevator ride a little smoother).

(05-10-2022, 07:29 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-09-2022, 09:41 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: That's a pretty decent looking piece of architecture.  It would certainly replace the boxy Independent Life/Wells Fargo bldg as the new recognizable icon for Downtown. I do hope they get the lean out of it tho, unless they are going for the Italian-meets-modernist look.

One of my favorite new styles is the Jenga look.  There's a good example of that in Jersey City, across the Hudson from the WTC complex.  Maybe we could rebuild Berkman II in that style.

I believe this rendering focuses on the hypotenuse to create that visual effect and the far side is vertical (makes the elevator ride a little smoother).

Yeah, you're right. the X axis is vertical and straight. Cool effect.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-10-2022, 10:41 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 07:29 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I believe this rendering focuses on the hypotenuse to create that visual effect and the far side is vertical (makes the elevator ride a little smoother).

Yeah, you're right.  the X axis is vertical and straight. Cool effect.

How close to the water will it be?  Tee boxes on top of the observation deck?  That would be cool!

If people based their vacations upon virtual renderings, I'd have to think that Jacksonville would be one of the top tourist towns in the World. We have some of the best visions for this city but at the end of the day, the biggest thing to happy to downtown Jax over the past 20 years is replacing The Landing with a plot of grass.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 12:54 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

So, your most positive growth in the downtown area over the last 30 years has been the growth along Riverside Dr. I haven't worked downtown now for almost 11 years, so when I have gone downtown for other reasons, I'm always impressed with the development there, both in multi family housing and in small commercial businesses. This proves the riverfront CAN be developed as long as its done right. If I were the director of the Downtown Development Authority, I would recognize the simple principle that no one likes to live next to large Industrial Development. It's ugly, it kills property values, it's potentially unsafe, and in general it's just not cool. So if I were head of the DDA, I would do the following:
1) Relocate all of the heavy industrial on Tallyrand Ave as far north as Main St to Blount Island and any other points east. Rezone and tax the crap out of them if necessary.
2) Get whatever Fed/State $ I could, and couple that with local money for cleanup of the Superfund Site that used to be the shipyards
3) Open the old Southside generating plant property on the South Bank to private development
4) Relocate the Duval County jail to the outer edge of the city limits. Move the Police Headquarters to Springfield. There's more crime there anyway, and there are a couple of old abandoned schools just waiting for renovation that they could occupy. Leave Maxwell House where it is, cause it's good to the last drop, and it smells good to coffee drinkers.
5) Reinforce Exchange Island with retaining walls and give huge financial incentives for a developer to build a marina / restaurant / housing. Big cities have stuff in the middle of thier rivers if possible. NY, London, Paris, for example. Sure, some feral cats will have to be relocated, but that's progress.
6) Leave the Landing site as it is. If it's not currently a park, make it one. Maybe put a petting zoo there. It was always a crappy location anyway, too far from the sports complex.
7) Subsidize a yacht for affordable dinner cruises, just like the Annabelle Lee used to offer. Offer that same Yacht for basic affordable River Crossings or River tours of the river. Go as far north as Dames Point or Mayport. Make it $7 head. I'd take my grandkids on that on the regular for that price. Savannah does it well, and thier river sucks.

Slums are another problem that can't be solved with simple relocation. That is a problem for another day. But if you can figure out how to upgrade the A Philip Randolph and Pheonix Ave areas without mass evictions/condemnations, then you have a future in City Planning. It would also go a long way to stimulating positive housing growth around the Sports Complex.

(05-11-2022, 12:47 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: So, your most positive growth in the downtown area over the last 30 years has been the growth along Riverside Dr.  I haven't worked downtown now for almost 11 years, so when I have gone downtown for other reasons, I'm always impressed with the development there, both in multi family housing and in small commercial businesses.  This proves the riverfront CAN  be developed as long as its done right. If I were the director of the Downtown Development Authority, I would recognize the simple principle that no one likes to live next to large Industrial Development. It's ugly, it kills property values, it's potentially unsafe, and in general it's just not cool.  So if I were head of the DDA, I would do the following:
1) Relocate all of the heavy industrial on Tallyrand Ave as far north as Main St to Blount Island and any other points east. Rezone and tax the crap out of them if necessary.
2) Get whatever Fed/State $ I could, and couple that with local money for cleanup of the Superfund Site that used to be the shipyards
3) Open the old Southside generating plant property on the South Bank to private development
4) Relocate the Duval County jail to the outer edge of the city limits. Move the Police Headquarters to Springfield. There's more crime there anyway, and there are a couple of old abandoned schools just waiting for renovation that they could occupy.  Leave Maxwell House where it is, cause it's good to the last drop, and it smells good to coffee drinkers.
5) Reinforce Exchange Island with retaining walls and give huge financial incentives for a developer to build a marina / restaurant / housing.  Big cities have stuff in the middle of thier rivers if possible.  NY, London, Paris, for example.  Sure, some feral cats will have to be relocated, but that's progress. 
6) Leave the Landing site as it is. If it's not currently a park, make it one. Maybe put a petting zoo there. It was always a crappy location anyway, too far from the sports complex.
7) Subsidize a yacht for affordable dinner cruises, just like the Annabelle Lee used to offer. Offer that same Yacht for basic affordable River Crossings or River tours of the river. Go as far north as Dames Point or Mayport.  Make it $7 head. I'd take my grandkids on that on the regular for that price.  Savannah does it well, and thier river sucks.

Slums are another problem that can't be solved with simple relocation. That is a problem for another day.  But if you can figure out how to upgrade the A Philip Randolph and Pheonix Ave areas without mass evictions/condemnations, then you have a future in City Planning.  It would also go a long way to stimulating positive housing growth around the Sports Complex.

Japan has lots of 'dog' and 'cat' small islands that have become tourist sights, so with some foresight you could use the Exchange Island for that, and help relieve some of the pressure from no-kill shelters.

(05-11-2022, 12:47 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: So, your most positive growth in the downtown area over the last 30 years has been the growth along Riverside Dr.  I haven't worked downtown now for almost 11 years, so when I have gone downtown for other reasons, I'm always impressed with the development there, both in multi family housing and in small commercial businesses.  This proves the riverfront CAN  be developed as long as its done right. If I were the director of the Downtown Development Authority, I would recognize the simple principle that no one likes to live next to large Industrial Development. It's ugly, it kills property values, it's potentially unsafe, and in general it's just not cool.  So if I were head of the DDA, I would do the following:
4) Relocate the Duval County jail to the outer edge of the city limits. Move the Police Headquarters to Springfield. There's more crime there anyway, and there are a couple of old abandoned schools just waiting for renovation that they could occupy.  Leave Maxwell House where it is, cause it's good to the last drop, and it smells good to coffee drinkers.
5) Reinforce Exchange Island with retaining walls and give huge financial incentives for a developer to build a marina / restaurant / housing.  Big cities have stuff in the middle of thier rivers if possible.  NY, London, Paris, for example.  Sure, some feral cats will have to be relocated, but that's progress. 
7) Subsidize a yacht for affordable dinner cruises, just like the Annabelle Lee used to offer. Offer that same Yacht for basic affordable River Crossings or River tours of the river. Go as far north as Dames Point or Mayport.  Make it $7 head. I'd take my grandkids on that on the regular for that price.  Savannah does it well, and thier river sucks.

Slums are another problem that can't be solved with simple relocation. That is a problem for another day.  But if you can figure out how to upgrade the A Philip Randolph and Pheonix Ave areas without mass evictions/condemnations, then you have a future in City Planning.  It would also go a long way to stimulating positive housing growth around the Sports Complex.

Add moving the homeless shelters away from there too.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???