Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If the Jags had the number 1 overall pick for the 3rd year in a row

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2022, 02:15 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-25-2022, 04:16 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: What is the point of this thread? 

Why would a team draft a #1 pick QB twice in 3 years?

Cardinals took Josh Rosen in the top 10. He sucked. 
Drafted Kyler Murray the following year. He good.

That's why.

In 1982, the Colts spent a 1st round pick on QB Art Schlichter.  The next year, they spent the #1 overall pick on John Elway.

How did that work out for them?

So in terms of draft strategy, two (2) teams in FORTY (40) years employed that, and it's-at best-a 50% success rate.

That is your answer?!?

I know we live in an age of microwave meals, sjort attention spans, etc., but can we please have a modicum of patience when it comes to developing our QB, especially when virtually every other area of the team was broken and dysfunctional last year?

For [BLEEP]'s sake!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-29-2022, 01:51 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 06:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Oh what nonsense. Have a take that isn't pants on head dumb, that's all you need to do.

I like my takes, because most of the time i'm right. Year after year I see people on this board hype up players who never show promise in blatant homer bias.

If you don't like my takes, why don't you pull a jaguarmvp and block me Wink

"Most of the time I'm right..."

Laughing Laughing Laughing
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-28-2022, 06:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Oh what nonsense. Have a take that isn't pants on head dumb, that's all you need to do.

I like my takes, because most of the time i'm right. Year after year I see people on this board hype up players who never show promise in blatant homer bias.

Trevor Lawrence is Josh Rosen. Another moronic doubling down of the past 8 months from you.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

What’s wrong with having two viable QBs?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(05-29-2022, 10:57 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: What’s wrong with having two viable QBs?

Nothing.

The waste of immense draft capital is the issue.

The suggestion here is two #1 picks in a three year span.  Unless all of Trevor's flashes were fools gold, or he gets horribly hurt, that would be gross mismanagement of capital for a roster in need at several other positions.

Intent to trade one of the QBs would be the only viable way to maximize the capital but it involves a gamble.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2022, 07:32 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(05-29-2022, 02:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 04:16 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Cardinals took Josh Rosen in the top 10. He sucked. 

That's why.

In 1982, the Colts spent a 1st round pick on QB Art Schlichter.  The next year, they spent the #1 overall pick on John Elway.

So in terms of draft strategy, two (2) teams in FORTY (40) years employed that, and it's-at best-a 50% success rate.

That is your answer?!?

I know we live in an age of microwave meals, sjort attention spans, etc., but can we please have a modicum of patience when it comes to developing our QB, especially when virtually every other area of the team was broken and dysfunctional last year?

For [BLEEP]'s sake!

Well I mean that would have been a 100% success rate if Elway wasn't an etitled prick who refused to play for them.

(05-29-2022, 09:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 01:51 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I like my takes, because most of the time i'm right. Year after year I see people on this board hype up players who never show promise in blatant homer bias.

Trevor Lawrence is Josh Rosen. Another moronic doubling down of the past 8 months from you.

I wasn't the one on this thread that posted Josh Rosens stat comparision, all I said was if he has another piss poor year like the last we shouldn't hold on for 5 years and let real qbs go over our heads like we did with Watson/mahomes/josh allen etc while we stuck with the boat.

That's why.

(05-29-2022, 07:31 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 02:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In 1982, the Colts spent a 1st round pick on QB Art Schlichter.  The next year, they spent the #1 overall pick on John Elway.

That is your answer?!?

For [BLEEP]'s sake!

Well I mean that would have been a 100% success rate if Elway wasn't an etitled prick who refused to play for them.

(05-29-2022, 09:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Trevor Lawrence is Josh Rosen. Another moronic doubling down of the past 8 months from you.

I wasn't the one on this thread that posted Josh Rosens stat comparision, all I said was if he has another piss poor year like the last we shouldn't hold on for 5 years and let real qbs go over our heads like we did with Watson/mahomes/josh allen etc while we stuck with the boat.

Screw his stat comparison - you clearly claimed Rosen's failure was the reason the Jaguars would draft a QB #1 twice in three years. It's all right there at the top quote in this post. 

Always running from your horrible takes with deflection and backpedaling.

(05-29-2022, 02:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In 1982, the Colts spent a 1st round pick on QB Art Schlichter.  The next year, they spent the #1 overall pick on John Elway.

That is your answer?!?

For [BLEEP]'s sake!

Coulda woulda shoulda.

Bottom line is it didn't work out, and there are reasons why only two teams in forty years have done what you suggest...namely, it's a stupid waste of resources, and QBs often take time to develop, even under ideal circumstances.

In the Schlichter instance, their subsequent choice of Elway only happened because Elway was clearly the superior prospect.  None of the guys at the top of next year's draft rate as highly a prospect as Lawrence.

(05-28-2022, 05:04 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 01:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I do have to ask, since you're so enamored with Reddit that you have to continually pimp it here, why are you here? You don't seem to like it and mostly just post stuff to rile up the regulars, so what's your deal?

I keep forgetting it's 2022 and having a different opinion than the masses is basically assault these days.

[...]

No I don't personally think Josh Rosen is what Trevor Lawrence will ultimately be, but if he posts another 12 td 17 int season and looks completely inept as he did for the majority of last year barring maybe 2 games, then yes I would absolutely be taking one of the top QB prospects in 2023.

using phrases like "looks completely inept" is what draws the ire from those whose opinions differ with you. I can't even say he looked overwhelmed, let alone inept. Having a different opinion around here is fine. Posting baseless statements that prove you either did not watch the games or that your standard of acceptable play is unattainable are the kinds of things that get the pushback.

Stop playing the martyr, it gains you no favor.

Stay classy, oh voice of reason. mvp has no part in this conversation and you choose to drag him through mud? Care to reference any of those takes that proved you a visionary over the past two seasons?

When you choose to go to war with the board, it's no wonder you see having a different opinion as assault.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 08:47 AM by Mikey.)

that's what CJB is for.

(05-29-2022, 11:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Nothing.

The waste of immense draft capital is the issue.

The suggestion here is two #1 picks in a three year span.  Unless all of Trevor's flashes were fools gold, or he gets horribly hurt, that would be gross mismanagement of capital for a roster in need at several other positions.

Intent to trade one of the QBs would be the only viable way to maximize the capital but it involves a gamble.

Yeah, looking at this topic reminded me of the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys. Took Aikman #1, then his old QB Steve Walsh declared for the supplemental, so they took him with their next first rounder. Aikman nearly demanded a trade, they wasted two seasons trying to figure out who was the top guy, and losing their first cost them chances at guys like Junior Seau and Cortez Kennedy the next year.

D'oh. But, they did have two viable QBs!

That is your answer?!?

For [BLEEP]'s sake!

(05-29-2022, 09:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Trevor Lawrence is Josh Rosen. Another moronic doubling down of the past 8 months from you.

Refusing to play for Bob Irsay might be a proof that Stanford puts out some smart kids more than the sign of an "entitled prick" [sic]. This may be the first time I've seen anyone refer to Kyler Murray as a real QB; heck the boy was torn between football and playing for the A's. 

It's not 100% success. Cowboys took two QBs months apart, in two separate drafts and it failed. Cripes almighty look at the Browns' cape of sadness, seemed like they were constantly swinging for fences and STILL botched things big time with their latest transaction, but those don't count, right?

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2022, 09:59 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-31-2022, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 07:31 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Well I mean that would have been a 100% success rate if Elway wasn't an etitled prick who refused to play for them.

Refusing to play for Bob Irsay might be a proof that Stanford puts out some smart kids more than the sign of an "entitled prick" [sic]. This may be the first time I've seen anyone refer to Kyler Murray as a real QB; heck the boy was torn between football and playing for the A's. 

It's not 100% success. Cowboys took two QBs months apart, in two separate drafts and it failed. Cripes almighty look at the Browns' cape of sadness, seemed like they were constantly swinging for fences and STILL botched things big time with their latest transaction, but those don't count, right?

I deliberately omitted that 1989 Dallas team because for all intents and purposes, both QBs were taken in the same year (1989) and both were rookies in 1989, but Walsh was taken in the supplemental draft, which took away from the next year's regular draft.  Part of it was hedging his bets at the position with a player with whom he was quite familiar having coached him in college.  It wound up working out because they wound up trading away Walsh for some good draft picks, but you can't convince me taking Steve Walsh with the #1 overall pick was a better move than taking Cortez Kennedy with that pick.

Of course, Chris Jag Boy would have traded away Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Josh Allen because they didn't start off well.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022, 06:47 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(05-29-2022, 07:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

That's why.

(05-29-2022, 07:31 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Well I mean that would have been a 100% success rate if Elway wasn't an etitled prick who refused to play for them.

Screw his stat comparison - you clearly claimed Rosen's failure was the reason the Jaguars would draft a QB #1 twice in three years. It's all right there at the top quote in this post. 

I'm sorry that it's so difficult for you to use your noggin. Rosen was my comparision to the idea of not holding on to a QB longer than you should. The entire point was bringing up how they realized early on he wasn't the guy, and immediately moved on and it worked well for them. Someone else compared Lawrence to Rosen statistically. I was talking about the thread topic of potentially moving on this year if we have the #1 pick again and Lawrence isn't good. 

How are you not able to understand that?

(05-29-2022, 08:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Coulda woulda shoulda.

Bottom line is it didn't work out, and there are reasons why only two teams in forty years have done what you suggest...namely, it's a stupid waste of resources, and QBs often take time to develop, even under ideal circumstances.

In the Schlichter instance, their subsequent choice of Elway only happened because Elway was clearly the superior prospect.  None of the guys at the top of next year's draft rate as highly a prospect as Lawrence.

What do you mean coulda shoulda woulda?

Elway wasn't a better QB than the guy they tried to replace him with? Kyler isn't better than Rosen? 

To your other point, how can you claim that one of the guys in this coming draft wont be considered an upgrade come years end? If we are selecting #1 overall again, without the urban meyer excuse and Trevor Lawrence has a back to back horrendus outting, how can you pretend he's good at that point? Again i'm not saying any of that will happen, I think it's really doubtful that he's going to be THAT BAD the point was IF HE WAS not that HE WILL BE. 

Some of you should read the title of the thread before responding to posts..

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022, 06:54 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-31-2022, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:

A quick google search will tell you that Elway and his father said he'd prefer to play on the west coast. If you're trying to tell me that a college kid, given the oppurtunity of a life time to be selected #1 in the NFL draft and millions of dollars flat out told the team giving him his oppurtunity no I don't wanna play in your city isn't entitled, I don't know what is. Also what point are you trying to make with the browns example? They kept swinging until they got a hit and now they are one of the better teams in the NFL... look at the jaguars, we rarely draft QBs and that's got us nowhere. We tried to make things work with Gabbert and Bortles and even Gardner Minshew.. where did any of that get us? PS Mayfield had some good years, he's started to fall off and look, they UPGRADED. Off the field issues aside if Watson actually plays they have a top 5 QB now. You don't just sit around and hope a bum gets good.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022, 07:30 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

I would say that if Lawrence PROVES that he is a total crap QB and we wind up with the #1 overall pick again, then yes, we should draft a QB. 

But also, I consider that scenario extremely unlikely.

(06-16-2022, 06:52 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: Refusing to play for Bob Irsay might be a proof that Stanford puts out some smart kids more than the sign of an "entitled prick" [sic]. This may be the first time I've seen anyone refer to Kyler Murray as a real QB; heck the boy was torn between football and playing for the A's. 

A quick google search will tell you that Elway and his father said he'd prefer to play on the west coast. If you're trying to tell me that a college kid, given the oppurtunity of a life time to be selected #1 in the NFL draft and millions of dollars flat out told the team giving him his oppurtunity no I don't wanna play in your city isn't entitled, I don't know what is. Also what point are you trying to make with the browns example? They kept swinging until they got a hit and now they are one of the better teams in the NFL... look at the jaguars, we rarely draft QBs and that's got us nowhere. We tried to make things work with Gabbert and Bortles and even Gardner Minshew.. where did any of that get us? PS Mayfield had some good years, he's started to fall off and look, they UPGRADED. Off the field issues aside if Watson actually plays they have a top 5 QB now. You don't just sit around and hope a bum gets good.

welcome back? way to resurrect a dead thread.

show me in my post where I refuted your claim that Elway acted out of entitlement. Simmer down, I took advantage of an opportunity to poke fun at both Baltimore and the Irsay with a sarcastic comment. Bo Jackson refused to play football when the Bucs drafted him, so he's an entitled prick, too, right?

My point about Cleveland is exactly what you are arguing. They swung and swung and swung, whether due to poor darfting or impatience, nobody ever got a shot to get them good. Mayfield comes in and the team (not just Mayfield, the team) is improved. As you would agree, their arrow is (was, IMHO) pointing up. Mayfield gets hurt, season in disarray, they immediately do what they know, panic and pursue another QB. The ransom they paid for an uncertain future that also alienated the vast majority of their own fanbase let alone their locker room may doom their recent success. They have no patience, no trust in their coach to get anything out of their QB, and they mortgaged their future for a short-term fix that might not even be available. That's exactly the impatience every dang other poster here is arguing when it comes to dismissing our top pick after 2 seasons (the premise of the thread, remember?)

I'm not saying the Browns should not have hedged their bets when it comes to Mayfield's future. His injury and his game may be limited. Draft a guy that has starting potential, sure. Put a little heat on Baker to show up or get out of the way. Stefanski is an offensive mind and should be able to get some results from even a middling QB. Heck, their offense is built upon the run game, which deemphasizes the need of a premier QB anyway. Throwing 3 firsts at a guy that is in the middle of over two dozen legal issues and potentially pending action from the league itself AND giving him a fully guaranteed contract on top of that is not only desperation, but it's destruction when it comes to their future. I'll just say that I strongly disagree Watson is a top 5 QB. You're entitled to believe differently, we've all been wrong before, too.

That's why.

(06-16-2022, 06:43 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 07:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Screw his stat comparison - you clearly claimed Rosen's failure was the reason the Jaguars would draft a QB #1 twice in three years. It's all right there at the top quote in this post. 

I'm sorry that it's so difficult for you to use your noggin. Rosen was my comparision to the idea of not holding on to a QB longer than you should. The entire point was bringing up how they realized early on he wasn't the guy, and immediately moved on and it worked well for them. Someone else compared Lawrence to Rosen statistically. I was talking about the thread topic of potentially moving on this year if we have the #1 pick again and Lawrence isn't good. 

How are you not able to understand that?

WHAT??? 

You were asked a direct simple question, and you gave a direct simple answer. 

Now you are attempting to contort your own words into something else and insult anyone who calls you on it.
 LOL 
Seriously, it's like clockwork. 

CJB: Trash Trevor
ALSO CJB: That's NOT what I meant!! 

Give me a break already. 

You DIRECTLY compared the cards situation with Rosen/Murray to ours with Lawrence/Next year's #1 QB
And said  "That's Why..." you'd select a QB #1 overall twice in three years. 

Meanwhile - you've said there was no reason for hope for Lawrence this year, and then a month later posted that he'd have well above average numbers this year. 

You need to make up your [BLEEP] mind  - or just stop talking out of your [BLEEP].

Pick one. 

And pleeeeeease, spare me the "I'M sO soRRy YoU cAn't underSTanD My GarBaGe TakeS" drivel.
You're totally transparent.

I thought that Will Anderson edge from Alabama was the most talented player in CFB last year.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Well guys, we’re heading in that direction. We’re on our way to making NFL history. If it happens we will possibly have 6 first round picks on the team.