Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Second kids are easier

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2022, 07:21 PM by mikesez. Edited 3 times in total.)

I'm nearly done teaching my son to ride his bike without training wheels.  He yelled a few times, but I didn't.  I remembered from teaching his sister what it felt like to be standing next to the bike while they try to figure out how to rid, so I knew what to expect, nothing surprised me, I didn't get upset.
But his poor sister.  She still remembers how I had a panic attack when she accidently rolled into street and a car was sort of nearby but not a real threat. This was when she was learning to ride with training wheels. We had her set up on the driveway pointed to the street, and she just boldly pushed away and rolled as far as she could go. She thought she did great! Why was daddy yelling at her for it?
The boy, we never ever let him even approach his bike while it was pointed towards the street.  He's going to have so many fewer negative memories of his parents than our daughter will.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-23-2022, 07:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm nearly done teaching my son to ride his bike without training wheels.  He yelled a few times, but I didn't.  I remembered from teaching his sister what it felt like to be standing next to the bike while they try to figure out how to rid, so I knew what to expect, nothing surprised me, I didn't get upset.
But his poor sister.  She still remembers how I had a panic attack when she accidently rolled into street and a car was sort of nearby but not a real threat. This was when she was learning to ride with training wheels. We had her set up on the driveway pointed to the street, and she just boldly pushed away and rolled as far as she could go. She thought she did great! Why was daddy yelling at her for it?
The boy, we never ever let him even approach his bike while it was pointed towards the street.  He's going to have so many fewer negative memories of his parents than our daughter will.

I hear the second is easier.  But even with my first and only I didn’t let her roll into the street.  Maybe it’s because I was a typical boy growing up and finding out a way to get hurt when most wouldn’t.  I kinda feel like I see all that can go wrong and plan accordingly.  Maybe it’s just me, maybe im just that anal.  Idk.  

Either way, it’s happy times! Congrats and you and your boy spending time with each other and you being a good dad to teach him.

Us oldest kids always get the brunt of our parents' naievety.

In general I agree with this, but I do remember some unique situations with our second that made it different. Sounds like you are a good protective parent. Enjoy!
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I’ll say this regarding my 2nd which is our little girl. She’s fearless whereas her older brother was a little more aware of the danger and behaved accordingly.

Case in point, my daughter is 2 1/2 and has been in swimming lessons for a while but isn’t a swimmer just yet. She will jump right into the pool regardless. As a result, I’m hyper aware of where she is when we’re in the pool. Even when she’s just playing on the steps she’ll jump right off the last one like there’s no danger to her. My son never did this.

(05-23-2022, 07:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm nearly done teaching my son to ride his bike without training wheels.  He yelled a few times, but I didn't.  I remembered from teaching his sister what it felt like to be standing next to the bike while they try to figure out how to rid, so I knew what to expect, nothing surprised me, I didn't get upset.

for our first, when he got a bike (with trainers) the first two lessons were:

1) how to stop (learn this before how to go)
2) if you start to fall, use your leg as a kickstand (this one works better with trainers than not, as falls are usually slow-mo, overturned the wheel kind of falls)

Once he had those in muscle memory, we were good to ride.

Ours had completely different experiences, too. He's older, and learned to ride in an apartment parking lot, so there was very little independent riding or getting too far from us, and the constancy of traffic didn't allow for a lot of wide open riding, lots of stopping, waiting for cars to pull in or out of spots, etc. Our youngest started riding after we moved, and got to do most of her learning in a cul de sac that has very little interruption.

While I am the worryer of the family, we've been fortunate that no accident has been severe so far.

My oldest taught the other three how to ride a bike, I have no idea who taught him? I just assumed he mounted up and started ridding one day he's that kind of kid.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(05-24-2022, 07:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote: My oldest taught the other three how to ride a bike, I have no idea who taught him? I just assumed he mounted up and started ridding one day he's that kind of kid.

My oldest daughter taught herself and her oldest son taught himself. The rest were taken to the top of a steep hill and shoved down.

Now my kids have to teach me how to do anything with tech I'm horrible with tech they all think it's super easy.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 08:54 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

So y’all had one, then decided to have another?!  Mad props guys! I salute y’all.

I hung out with kids older than I as a kid.  I was 4 or so and all the other kids were bigger.  I remember mid play time riding my bike back home and asking dad to take the training wheels off. He did and off I went.  I was his second child.  There was no “holding the seat” thing.  He took them off and I was gone and back at dinner time.

I think 2nd kids are easier because after the 1st kid, the parents relax and give up on raising the perfect child. I was a 2nd kid. My parents doted on my older brother, giving in to his every wish and whim. But when I came along, my mother would put me in my crib, turn on the TV and leave the room. I'd watch the TV through the bars of my crib. She said it kept me quiet. I guess that's all she wanted by that time- some peace and quiet.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2022, 08:12 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I only have a son so far. He just hit 2 in April. I am the oldest of three boys but my parents were pretty young when they had me. My mom was 19 and my dad was 20. I remember my first time riding without training wheels. I ate [BLEEP], my dad laughed, and he made me get up on my own and try again.

My parents didn't really hover over me a lot. They kind of left me to my own devices and I minded my own business. Rarely got into any trouble growing up. Maybe three's a crowd though. I am 34, my younger brother is 27 and my youngest brother is 23. They grew up a little bit more closer than I did with my middle brother. But, now being much older as a trio. I feel really closer to my youngest brother.

It's funny how it all plays out I guess. We all have our own kids now so it's fun watching my son interact with their two daughter's. A lot of energy around the family now. Grandparents are hamming it up. And honestly, that's been the most enjoyable part for me as a parent. Just seeing that youthful look and laughter around my Mom and Dad again. That's priceless man.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2022, 08:56 AM by Mikey.)

(05-24-2022, 07:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote: My oldest taught the other three how to ride a bike, I have no idea who taught him? I just assumed he mounted up and started ridding one day he's that kind of kid.

apparently oldest started riding sans-trainers at school, I was never aware that schools had biking as part of gym class.

Never said anything to us about it, so we had the trainers on his home bike long after he likely knew how to ride.

(05-24-2022, 08:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

My oldest daughter taught herself and her oldest son taught himself. The rest were taken to the top of a steep hill and shoved down.

Did you at least offer them a bike to ride down the hill? Sounds awful mean, yet cathartic.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2022, 09:15 AM by Mikey.)

(05-25-2022, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think 2nd kids are easier because after the 1st kid, the parents relax and give up on raising the perfect child.  I was a 2nd kid.  My parents doted on my older brother, giving in to his every wish and whim.  But when I came along, my mother would put me in my crib, turn on the TV and leave the room.  I'd watch the TV through the bars of my crib.  She said it kept me quiet.  I guess that's all she wanted by that time- some peace and quiet.

The second has an older sibling that they aspire to. Our friends had 4 (!!!) and by the third things like potty training were a breeze because the youngers couldn't wait to be like the olders.

Parents do also learn what works and what doesn't with their first, and tend not to repeat the fruitless strategies with the younger siblings. So we might think some things are "easier" with subsequent kids, but in reality it's just that we aren't slinging poo at the wall with this one like we did our first.

I can recommend abandoning kids with a TV, but I can say that there were plenty of times where we opted for easy over difficult when exhaustion crept in.

(05-25-2022, 08:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I only have a son so far. He just hit 2 in April. I am the oldest of three boys but my parents were pretty young when they had me. My mom was 19 and my dad was 20. I remember my first time riding without training wheels. I ate [BLEEP], my dad laughed, and he made me get up on my own and try again.

My parents didn't really hover over me a lot. They kind of left me to my own devices and I minded my own business. Rarely got into any trouble growing up. Maybe three's a crowd though. I am 34, my younger brother is 27 and my youngest brother is 23. They grew up a little bit more closer than I did with my middle brother. But, now being much older as a trio. I feel really closer to my youngest brother.

It's funny how it all plays out I guess. We all have our own kids now so it's fun watching my son interact with their two daughter's. A lot of energy around the family now. Grandparents are hamming it up. And honestly, that's been the most enjoyable part for me as a parent. Just seeing that youthful look and laughter around my Mom and Dad again. That's priceless man.

When you were 14, they were 7 and 3, the delayed relationship is understandable when you think about it this way.

You're right, though, my dad especially was night and day different in his role as dad vs. grandpa.