Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AJ Cann compares Trevor Lawrence to Davis Mills

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lawrence has more tools than Mills does, period.

Lol, yeah, but look at what he's comparing: how much the guy talks, his laid back attitude, and being a cool dude. Nothing said about their actual skills or talent because there's really no comparison.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-24-2022, 07:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, yeah, but look at what he's comparing: how much the guy talks, his laid back attitude, and being a cool dude. Nothing said about their actual skills or talent because there's really no comparison.

I've never heard of a player going to a new team and not being complimentary of the guys there.

When we've had bad QBs free agents still had nothing but good things to say once they had checks coming. That's just how the NFL works.

Why is this in our forum? Move it to the division.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-24-2022, 10:00 PM)NH3 Wrote: Why is this in our forum? Move it to the division.

NH3...
Sorry, I should've done that in the first place. Am I able to move the thread somehow?

We will see how they compare soon enough.

(05-24-2022, 10:34 PM)Jagsman Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 10:00 PM)NH3 Wrote: Why is this in our forum? Move it to the division.

NH3...
Sorry, I should've done that in the first place. Am I able to move the thread somehow?

All good
I got it

It doesn't have to be a pissing contest. Both could wind up very good. As much as it pains me to say it about a division rival's player, I was higher on Mills than most when he came out. The main knock on him was injury history. I'm not suggesting I prefer him over Lawrence at all, but I do like his potential. Also, as mentioned above, Cann didn't really say much about anything other than demeanor which is very low on the totem pole of skill/trait importance.

He was comparing their personalities ....

"Trevor was a quiet dude,” Cann told reporters Tuesday during organized team activities at Houston Methodist Training Center. “He was a leader. Didn’t really need to speak unless he had to. I kind of see a little of that in Davis. Really doesn’t talk much but when he gets in the huddle you see he is very poised and very confident and I love that about a quarterback.”

What he didn't say: "Command of the offense", "Arm Talent", "Can really fit it in the windows", "Great sense of pocket awareness", etc.

I mean, sure, they aren't playing games yet and it's the first couple practices, but those kinds of things are what we would expect to hear if this weren't a fluff piece.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-24-2022, 06:54 PM)Popeye Wrote: Lawrence has more tools than Mills does, period.

I'm genuinely curious as to what "tools" you're referring to.  I'm of the opinion that the most important QB tools are of the non-measurable type.  There are certainly some physical tools (ball velocity, release speed, etc.) that are necessary, but almost anyone who gets selected in the draft has at least "enough" of those tools to be considered.  My concern is that a lot of teams overrate something like arm strength, rather than focusing on the ability to make reads quickly enough, reading defenses before and during the snap, and communication/consistency with their teammates; I'm always reminded of QB Kyle Boller going in the 1st round because he could kneel on the 50 and chuck a perfect spiral through the uprights.

(05-27-2022, 03:06 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 06:54 PM)Popeye Wrote: Lawrence has more tools than Mills does, period.

I'm genuinely curious as to what "tools" you're referring to.  I'm of the opinion that the most important QB tools are of the non-measurable type.  There are certainly some physical tools (ball velocity, release speed, etc.) that are necessary, but almost anyone who gets selected in the draft has at least "enough" of those tools to be considered.  My concern is that a lot of teams overrate something like arm strength, rather than focusing on the ability to make reads quickly enough, reading defenses before and during the snap, and communication/consistency with their teammates; I'm always reminded of QB Kyle Boller going in the 1st round because he could kneel on the 50 and chuck a perfect spiral through the uprights.

Every front office measure the physical and the mental bandwidth. 
Lawrence has plenty of both and I have no idea what Mills has TBH. 

Teams will absolutely gamble on players with the obvious physical skillset if they think they have a chance to coach up the mental side and speed up the internal process for the player. Happens all the time. 

Josh Allen (QB) is the perfect example. 

Myles Jack is a good example of a player who never caught up between the ears to match his athletic ability. 

Trevor's intangibles, leadership ability, along with the maturity he showed wading through the muck of the Meyer debacle are all miles ahead of most young players. 

Reports from the offseason are that he's already getting the ball out quicker, being more decisive, and Pederson's playbook will undoubtedly lend itself to that type of development as he knows where Trevor needs to grow.