Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hutch vs Walker (merged)

(04-13-2022, 02:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 10:35 AM)Upper Wrote: More and more Walker smoke...
Yea. It’s really gaining steam the last few days but someone (Zierlein) mentioned it could be to get NYJ or someone else to come up to 1.

That only works on GM's like Gene Smith...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So as I understand it, Walker has great physical tools, but a lack of production in college. Seems like we've been here before: Taven Bryan.

It does worry me a little bit that the evaluations of Walker that I have seen are anywhere from top of the 1st round to bottom of the 1st round.

The pick is Hutch. School record 14 sacks.

I want Hutch but what if we took Walker at 1 to play DE and at 33 we took Mafe for opposite of Allen. How would yall feel about that?

(04-14-2022, 08:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I want Hutch but what if we took Walker at 1 to play DE and at 33 we took Mafe for opposite of Allen.  How would yall feel about that?

I would feel like we did nothing to help our QB.

We better be looking to win a lot of 14-10 games, because we've taken no shots at the best WR in this darft, did nothing to address LG or C, and still have a crater at one of our ILB spots.

While nothing would surprise me when it comes to our draft strategy (except maybe taking an RB early, that never happens though) I am hoping that we move up from 33 to help our offense in some way, whether it be an interior lineman or WR.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 09:29 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-14-2022, 08:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I want Hutch but what if we took Walker at 1 to play DE and at 33 we took Mafe for opposite of Allen.  How would yall feel about that?

[Image: Zbtn.gif]

If we are choosing only between those two, I want Hutchinson. Your number one overall draft pick or high round one draft pick must be a guy that can start right away and that you can see has a legitimate path to being top-five at his position during his first contract. I love Walker, but it’s based on potential and projected skill set. Hutchinson is as close to a sure thing in this draft as there is along with Neal and Sauce Gardner. 

On the other hand, I’d be just as happy drafting Neal at number one so that we lock down the offensive line. Then on day two I start out with an edge, and then get a linebacker and wide receiver. Day three I find a center, safety, running back, and a tight end.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 10:29 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

Just watching the replay of the Orange Bowl. I specifically watched Hutch. Guys I just don't see it, #1? The first half it did not matter who blocked him. Salyer, who is not even projected to be a tackle at the pro level, the sophomore McClendon, he was not a factor. Georgia actually had some very good running plays running at him. During the third quarter he got close to a sack when Ojbe flushed Bennett his way, but Hutch wasn't fast enough to catch Stetson Bennett who escaped. Now Bennett is athletic but is not as fast or elusive for a QB he will see at the next level. To be fair he wasn't the only one the whole team appeared to not be used to playing this fast or at this level. I guess I am seeing the wrong thing...but my eye says he is meh....at least against Georgia level play.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-14-2022, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote:

We better be looking to win a lot of 14-10 games, because we've taken no shots at the best WR in this darft, did nothing to address LG or C, and still have a crater at one of our ILB spots.

While nothing would surprise me when it comes to our draft strategy (except maybe taking an RB early, that never happens though) I am hoping that we move up from 33 to help our offense in some way, whether it be an interior lineman or WR.

I just don't think this draft is lining up for us to take offense before the third round, barring unforseeable trades obviously. There is going to be a sweet spot in the mid 1st round for the big 4 WR and then there will be a few WRs that teams reach for late in the 1st. 33 is a bad spot to need a WR this draft, especially for the Jags who really only need an X.

Actually, unless Zion or Linderbaum surprisingly make it to 33, it's going to be a reach to shoehorn any offensive player in before the third round.

(04-14-2022, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote:

It helps your quarterback tremendously if you don't force him into a shootout every week.  

Sometimes, you need to stop the other team.  If you can't stop the other team, your quarterback will be a sitting duck.

(04-14-2022, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote: I would feel like we did nothing to help our QB.

It helps your quarterback tremendously if you don't force him into a shootout every week.  

Sometimes, you need to stop the other team.  If you can't stop the other team, your quarterback will be a sitting duck.
Agreed 100%, the thing that will help Trevor the most is taking the best player even if it's on the defense.  We also have the first and 6th pick in the 3 round where you will likely find good value at WR and IOL.  I'm with you though, if we let the draft come to us instead of panicking or reaching for need we will be in a very good posture sooner than expected.

(04-14-2022, 11:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It helps your quarterback tremendously if you don't force him into a shootout every week.  

Agreed 100%, the thing that will help Trevor the most is taking the best player even if it's on the defense.  We also have the first and 6th pick in the 3 round where you will likely find good value at WR and IOL.  I'm with you though, if we let the draft come to us instead of panicking or reaching for need we will be in a very good posture sooner than expected.
Once we get rid of Scoliosis, our posture will be much better.

Unless Pierce makes it to the third I don't think there will be good value there for WR either. It is a sweet spot for IOL though. Parham, Strange, Jurgens, Tom...yes please to any of them.

Plenty more will be there in the 4th and 5th that I like too. Paul, Lindstrom, Poe, Wattenburg, Thomas, Waletzko, Mays, Bruss, Deaton.

I know I’m a bit of a broken record, but I still feel like we need to go with Hutchinson. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong if we go a different direction though.

(04-14-2022, 11:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 11:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agreed 100%, the thing that will help Trevor the most is taking the best player even if it's on the defense.  We also have the first and 6th pick in the 3 round where you will likely find good value at WR and IOL.  I'm with you though, if we let the draft come to us instead of panicking or reaching for need we will be in a very good posture sooner than expected.
Once we get rid of Scoliosis, our posture will be much better.
Position*

I can’t remember the weeks leading up to the draft last year because it was Trevor and there were no smoke screens but…. Was there smoke about Campbell being the Jags choice at the top of round 2? It seems the smoke is starting to gain for Quay Walker at 33 but can’t remember if the same was happening for Campbell.

(04-14-2022, 01:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I can’t remember the weeks leading up to the draft last year because it was Trevor and there were no smoke screens but…. Was there smoke about Campbell being the Jags choice at the top of round 2? It seems the smoke is starting to gain for Quay Walker at 33 but can’t remember if the same was happening for Campbell.

Other than Demetrius Harvey saying that's who he likes at 33 and the Dilla tweeting it after, where is this smoke coming  from?

(04-14-2022, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 01:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I can’t remember the weeks leading up to the draft last year because it was Trevor and there were no smoke screens but…. Was there smoke about Campbell being the Jags choice at the top of round 2? It seems the smoke is starting to gain for Quay Walker at 33 but can’t remember if the same was happening for Campbell.

Other than Demetrius Harvey saying that's who he likes at 33 and the Dilla tweeting it after, where is this smoke coming  from?
Dilla, Harvey and Shipley have all said they think it could be Quay Walker at 33…. Even if Dean is on the board.

Shipley just released his final predictions and he has Hutchinson at 1 and Quay at 33.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 01:49 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-14-2022, 01:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Other than Demetrius Harvey saying that's who he likes at 33 and the Dilla tweeting it after, where is this smoke coming  from?
Dilla, Harvey and Shipley have all said they think it could be Quay Walker at 33…. Even if Dean is on the board.

Shipley just released his final predictions and he has Hutchinson at 1 and Quay at 33.

Sounds like he's mock Harvey from this morning on 1010xl.  One says it then they piggy back off each other.  I highly doubt Baalke or Doug told either that they like Quay at 33.  Harvey was just saying he could see them liking him over Dean because of his size is all he said lol.

No, nobody said anything about Cambell until round 1 was over then rumors that night was we really liked Cambell and he was likely going to be the pick, then he was

I hate the idea of letting everyone know who you like and who will be the pick. Hopefully this is all smoke

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 02:19 PM by Upper. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-05-2022, 01:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 12:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Interesting take.

Why do you think they will pass on him?

Baalke has always prioritized size in his drafting, and I can see them being extra scared of a very small center with only 31" arms with elite behemoths like Buckner and Simmons with their 34"+ arms in this division.

A whole lot of the rest of the NFL is scared of the same thing, as we keep hearing with all of this buzz about how Linderbaum is falling.

I think Linderbaum will be on the board and we're still going to go with someone like Quay Walker.

Nah no one had Campbell on their radar until Dilla tweeted his chunky clue that night.

I saw this coming like two weeks ago though. Quay screamed Baalke the second I saw his measurables. I think he's going to be a good player too I won't be too upset with the pick, except that I think this LB tier is extremely good, flat, and big so we could easily get someone just as good like Tindall or Asamoah at 65. I hate taking players at the top of tiers.