Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hutch vs Walker (merged)

(04-14-2022, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 01:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I can’t remember the weeks leading up to the draft last year because it was Trevor and there were no smoke screens but…. Was there smoke about Campbell being the Jags choice at the top of round 2? It seems the smoke is starting to gain for Quay Walker at 33 but can’t remember if the same was happening for Campbell.

(04-05-2022, 01:13 PM)Upper Wrote: Baalke has always prioritized size in his drafting, and I can see them being extra scared of a very small center with only 31" arms with elite behemoths like Buckner and Simmons with their 34"+ arms in this division.

A whole lot of the rest of the NFL is scared of the same thing, as we keep hearing with all of this buzz about how Linderbaum is falling.

I think Linderbaum will be on the board and we're still going to go with someone like Quay Walker.

Nah no one had Campbell on their radar until Dilla tweeted his chunky clue that night.

I saw this coming like two weeks ago though. Quay screamed Baalke the second I saw his measurables. I think he's going to be a good player too I won't be too upset with the pick, except that I think this LB tier is extremely good, flat, and big so we could easily get someone just as good like Tindall or Asamoah at 65. I hate taking players at the top of tiers.

You said the day after Walker visited with us lol.  With that said, I don't think we would take Walker over Linderbaum if both are there.  Walker does have the size that we need and is a good LB but I don't like the idea of letting everyone know we like him at 33 if we truly do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 03:01 PM by Mikey.)

(04-14-2022, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote: I would feel like we did nothing to help our QB.

We better be looking to win a lot of 14-10 games, because we've taken no shots at the best WR in this darft, did nothing to address LG or C, and still have a crater at one of our ILB spots.

While nothing would surprise me when it comes to our draft strategy (except maybe taking an RB early, that never happens though) I am hoping that we move up from 33 to help our offense in some way, whether it be an interior lineman or WR.

It helps your quarterback tremendously if you don't force him into a shootout every week.  

Sometimes, you need to stop the other team.  If you can't stop the other team, your quarterback will be a sitting duck.

How'd that work out for Gabs the last time we doubled down on pass rush? I guess the point was more that we have bigger issues than getting a sack. It's not that either Walker or Mafe are not good, but those two picks alone aren't going to make me think in any way that our team is set.

Sadly, the way this darft is lined up it seems none of our needs align with where our picks are scheduled. We're going to have to be mobile to maximize our returns.

(04-14-2022, 11:21 AM)Upper Wrote: Unless Pierce makes it to the third I don't think there will be good value there for WR either. It is a sweet spot for IOL though. Parham, Strange, Jurgens, Tom...yes please to any of them.

Plenty more will be there in the 4th and 5th that I like too. Paul, Lindstrom, Poe, Wattenburg, Thomas, Waletzko, Mays, Bruss, Deaton.

yeah, between Agnew and then paying Zay, I don't see drafting any of the undersized, agile receivers that are gonna end up in the range we pick in second and third rounds.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 03:09 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-14-2022, 02:58 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 10:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It helps your quarterback tremendously if you don't force him into a shootout every week.  

Sometimes, you need to stop the other team.  If you can't stop the other team, your quarterback will be a sitting duck.

How'd that work out for Gabs the last time we doubled down on pass rush? I guess the point was more that we have bigger issues than getting a sack. It's not that either Walker or Mafe are not good, but those two picks alone aren't going to make me think in any way that our team is set.

Sadly, the way this darft is lined up it seems none of our needs align with where our picks are scheduled. We're going to have to be mobile to maximize our returns.

(04-14-2022, 11:21 AM)Upper Wrote: Unless Pierce makes it to the third I don't think there will be good value there for WR either. It is a sweet spot for IOL though. Parham, Strange, Jurgens, Tom...yes please to any of them.

Plenty more will be there in the 4th and 5th that I like too. Paul, Lindstrom, Poe, Wattenburg, Thomas, Waletzko, Mays, Bruss, Deaton.

yeah, between Agnew and then paying Zay, I don't see drafting any of the undersized, agile receivers that are gonna end up in the range we pick in second and third rounds.
In the range we pick in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?  We have the 1st pick in each round lol

(04-14-2022, 03:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 02:58 PM)Mikey Wrote: How'd that work out for Gabs the last time we doubled down on pass rush? I guess the point was more that we have bigger issues than getting a sack. It's not that either Walker or Mafe are not good, but those two picks alone aren't going to make me think in any way that our team is set.

In the range we pick in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?  We have the 1st pick in each round lol

Do you honestly think I don't know where we pick?

What I am saying is that the WR that tend to fall around 33, 65 and even 70 (hey, extra credit, right?) are small, twitchy guys that we already have rostered. I don't see us taking any of those guys. Saying "around 33, 65 and 70" is equivalent to "the range we pick in second and third rounds". When I look at mocks, I look at the picks in our vicinity to see who else can realistically be expected to be available when we pick. Just because we have the first pick in each round isn't gonna put 4 inches of height on a guy like Skyy Moore. Having two picks in the third isn't going to make Calvin Austin's pants resemble capris. Did you think that was the case?

lol indeed.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 10:07 AM by Upper.)

Well, they probably should get roasted if they do anything except draft Hutch or trade down for a ransom.

https://twitter.com/acosta32_jp/status/1...5950756865

Kinda funny that everyone is all like Pederson wants an OL, Baalke wants Walker, but the pick is gonna be Hutch because they will get ripped up and down by their peers if they don't.

(04-15-2022, 10:52 AM)Upper Wrote: Kinda funny that everyone is all like Pederson wants an OL, Baalke wants Walker, but the pick is gonna be Hutch because they will get ripped up and down by their peers if they don't.
Hahaha that’s hilarious. 

Only the Jags man.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 12:06 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-15-2022, 10:52 AM)Upper Wrote: Kinda funny that everyone is all like Pederson wants an OL, Baalke wants Walker, but the pick is gonna be Hutch because they will get ripped up and down by their peers if they don't.

Or it was just smoke all along and the whole time it was Hutch which is more likely.  But regardless who we pick people will complain.  If we take Hutch people will complain and talk about the Georgia game.

(04-15-2022, 12:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Or it was just smoke all along and the whole time it was Hutch which is more likely.  But regardless who we pick people will complain.  If we take Hutch people will complain and talk about the Georgia game.

I'll talk about all the times better competition held him to zero on the stat sheet.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 12:30 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

I would just trade down if Detroit wants to move up one spot. [BLEEP] it. Swap 1 for 2 and take a 3rd RD pick. Baalke would then have a trio of third round selections and then four additional picks in round six. Any GM worth his salt could package a combination of those up to get back into RD2 for another solid starter.

I would swap with Detroit. Let them have Hutchinson if they want him so bad and then I would pull the ultimate go [BLEEP] yourself move of the draft and take Jordan Davis out of Georgia instead. Since everybody is caught up on gawdy and flashy numbers. Jordan Davis for his size is a freak of nature. You watch any Georgia game last year and it ALL started with him. Forget Cine, Dean, Walker, Quay, etc.

It was Jordan's presence and consistent harassment in the backfield that enabled that entire defense all year. Put his big [BLEEP] inside or outside in a 3 - 4. I don't think it'll matter. Depending on the down and distance though he's going to be a handful for any offense. I would rather have Davis and possibly Ebiketie or Mafe at this point. As both of those DE's could be there in RD2.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I tell you what, picking first is tricky because it’s all on you! If the guy busts, there are big ramifications for a GM. Balke already has a tenuous hold on things, so this is a huge pick for him. Could make or break his entire career from here. I think at the end of the day he takes the prospect he truly believes in the most. Hopefully he hits and we all win.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 12:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-15-2022, 12:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 12:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Or it was just smoke all along and the whole time it was Hutch which is more likely.  But regardless who we pick people will complain.  If we take Hutch people will complain and talk about the Georgia game.

I'll talk about all the times better competition held him to zero on the stat sheet.
Exactly what i.was talking about.  Some people just look at the stat sheet

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 01:19 PM by I am Yoda.)

(04-15-2022, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would just trade down if Detroit wants to move up one spot. [BLEEP] it. Swap 1 for 2 and take a 3rd RD pick. Baalke would then have a trio of third round selections and then four additional picks in round six. Any GM worth his salt could package a combination of those up to get back into RD2 for another solid starter.

I would swap with Detroit. Let them have Hutchinson if they want him so bad and then I would pull the ultimate go [BLEEP] yourself move of the draft and take Jordan Davis out of Georgia instead. Since everybody is caught up on gawdy and flashy numbers. Jordan Davis for his size is a freak of nature. You watch any Georgia game last year and it ALL started with him. Forget Cine, Dean, Walker, Quay, etc.

It was Jordan's presence and consistent harassment in the backfield that enabled that entire defense all year. Put his big [BLEEP] inside or outside in a 3 - 4. I don't think it'll matter. Depending on the down and distance though he's going to be a handful for any offense. I would rather have Davis and possibly Ebiketie or Mafe at this point. As both of those DE's could be there in RD2.

Or we need a top 10 draft team to fall in love with whomever they think Detroit will pick at #2 if we stay at #1.  Maybe the Jets are thirsty for Thibs.  Maybe Seattle or Carolina love a qb.  We just need one team to get desperate to get ahead of Detroit.

(04-15-2022, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 12:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'll talk about all the times better competition held him to zero on the stat sheet.

And some of us watched and re-watched the game.  He wasn't being doubled.  He just didn't perform.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-15-2022, 01:18 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would just trade down if Detroit wants to move up one spot. [BLEEP] it. Swap 1 for 2 and take a 3rd RD pick. Baalke would then have a trio of third round selections and then four additional picks in round six. Any GM worth his salt could package a combination of those up to get back into RD2 for another solid starter.

Or we need a top 10 draft team to fall in love with whomever they think Detroit will pick at #2 if we stay at #1.  Maybe the Jets are thirsty for Thibs.  Maybe Seattle or Carolina love a qb.  We just need one team to get desperate to get ahead of Detroit.

(04-15-2022, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Exactly what i.was talking about.  Some people just look at the stat sheet

And some of us watched and re-watched the game.  He wasn't being doubled.  He just didn't perform.

Would be ideal. I was able to pull a trade off within that same logic being applied. I swapped 1 and 107 I think for 2, 32 & 97 and then managed to swap 2 with Washington for 11, there RD2 pick and next year's 1st RD pick. While I think I was a little greedy with Detroit in swapping 1 for 2 for a high 4th RD Pick in addition to getting 32 and a 3rd RD pick there's still a good basis there. 

I wouldn't mind swapping 1 for 2 in exchange for picking up their 3rd RD pick, while, as you mentioned above, swap 2 around with a team QB hungry for even more value. It would set this [BLEEP] team up damn near perfectly. Puts you in position to take a damn good WR while adding more value to bolster some starting spots and improve your overall depth in a draft where the overall talent level is not nearly as separated as some of the past year's draft classes. 

You'll probably find really good quality players in RD3 this year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-15-2022, 01:27 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 01:18 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Or we need a top 10 draft team to fall in love with whomever they think Detroit will pick at #2 if we stay at #1.  Maybe the Jets are thirsty for Thibs.  Maybe Seattle or Carolina love a qb.  We just need one team to get desperate to get ahead of Detroit.

Would be ideal. I was able to pull a trade off within that same logic being applied. I swapped 1 and 107 I think for 2, 32 & 97 and then managed to swap 2 with Washington for 11, there RD2 pick and next year's 1st RD pick. While I think I was a little greedy with Detroit in swapping 1 for 2 for a high 4th RD Pick in addition to getting 32 and a 3rd RD pick there's still a good basis there. 

I wouldn't mind swapping 1 for 2 in exchange for picking up their 3rd RD pick, while, as you mentioned above, swap 2 around with a team QB hungry for even more value. It would set this [BLEEP] team up damn near perfectly. Puts you in position to take a damn good WR while adding more value to bolster some starting spots and improve your overall depth in a draft where the overall talent level is not nearly as separated as some of the past year's draft classes. 

You'll probably find really good quality players in RD3 this year.

Meh, I'd rather take Hutch than Det. 2nd and their 3rd

(04-15-2022, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 12:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'll talk about all the times better competition held him to zero on the stat sheet.

Nope, watched it, just saying... 

An ELITE, number 1 taken overall player, should be dominating everyone... not just lower competition.

(04-15-2022, 01:18 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:

(04-15-2022, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Exactly what i.was talking about.  Some people just look at the stat sheet

He was getting chipped, held on multiple occasions, and game planned against.  How did Will Anderson do against Georgia

(04-15-2022, 12:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Or it was just smoke all along and the whole time it was Hutch which is more likely.  But regardless who we pick people will complain.  If we take Hutch people will complain and talk about the Georgia game.

We get it dude, everything you don't agree with is smoke.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 02:45 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2022, 01:51 PM)Upper Wrote:

We get it dude, everything you don't agree with is smoke.
Even if i agreed with it id still think it was smoke. I'm just not going to believe any of these "rumors" about what teams want to do 2 weeks before the draft. Teams would be very stupid to let out what they want to do right before the draft.  Why don't they just make their bigboard public while they're at it?