Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hutch vs Walker (merged)

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 02:46 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-15-2022, 10:06 AM)Upper Wrote: Well, they probably should get roasted if they do anything except draft Hutch or trade down for a ransom.

https://twitter.com/acosta32_jp/status/1...5950756865

That makes me very happy to hear.

(04-15-2022, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would just trade down if Detroit wants to move up one spot. [BLEEP] it. Swap 1 for 2 and take a 3rd RD pick. Baalke would then have a trio of third round selections and then four additional picks in round six. Any GM worth his salt could package a combination of those up to get back into RD2 for another solid starter.

I would swap with Detroit. Let them have Hutchinson if they want him so bad and then I would pull the ultimate go [BLEEP] yourself move of the draft and take Jordan Davis out of Georgia instead. Since everybody is caught up on gawdy and flashy numbers. Jordan Davis for his size is a freak of nature. You watch any Georgia game last year and it ALL started with him. Forget Cine, Dean, Walker, Quay, etc.

It was Jordan's presence and consistent harassment in the backfield that enabled that entire defense all year. Put his big [BLEEP] inside or outside in a 3 - 4. I don't think it'll matter. Depending on the down and distance though he's going to be a handful for any offense. I would rather have Davis and possibly Ebiketie or Mafe at this point. As both of those DE's could be there in RD2.

Where would you play him? We already have a very good interior D-Line with DaVon Hamilton and Folorunso Fatukasi.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 02:55 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2022, 01:18 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would just trade down if Detroit wants to move up one spot. [BLEEP] it. Swap 1 for 2 and take a 3rd RD pick. Baalke would then have a trio of third round selections and then four additional picks in round six. Any GM worth his salt could package a combination of those up to get back into RD2 for another solid starter.

I would swap with Detroit. Let them have Hutchinson if they want him so bad and then I would pull the ultimate go [BLEEP] yourself move of the draft and take Jordan Davis out of Georgia instead. Since everybody is caught up on gawdy and flashy numbers. Jordan Davis for his size is a freak of nature. You watch any Georgia game last year and it ALL started with him. Forget Cine, Dean, Walker, Quay, etc.

It was Jordan's presence and consistent harassment in the backfield that enabled that entire defense all year. Put his big [BLEEP] inside or outside in a 3 - 4. I don't think it'll matter. Depending on the down and distance though he's going to be a handful for any offense. I would rather have Davis and possibly Ebiketie or Mafe at this point. As both of those DE's could be there in RD2.

Or we need a top 10 draft team to fall in love with whomever they think Detroit will pick at #2 if we stay at #1.  Maybe the Jets are thirsty for Thibs.  Maybe Seattle or Carolina love a qb.  We just need one team to get desperate to get ahead of Detroit.

(04-15-2022, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Exactly what i.was talking about.  Some people just look at the stat sheet

And some of us watched and re-watched the game.  He wasn't being doubled.  He just didn't perform.

I don't know what you're not seeing, that I saw.

(04-15-2022, 01:34 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 12:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Exactly what i.was talking about.  Some people just look at the stat sheet

Nope, watched it, just saying... 

An ELITE, number 1 taken overall player, should be dominating everyone... not just lower competition.

So, Ohio State and Penn State are considered lower competition? Hutchinson had 7 tackles, 3 sacks and 15 QB pressures against the Buckeyes. He had 7 tackles and 3 sacks against the Nittany Lions as well. Gotcha.

Some people forget this is lying season. Not to mention Doug, Baalke and likely the coaching staff will all get together about who they want to take at 1. If they watch the tape and think Walker will be the better player, I don't think they will pass over the guy who they think will be the best player in the draft because they will get roasted lol. At the end of the day what's going to save their job is taking the best player regardless of who it is and people will disagree with the pick regardless.

(04-15-2022, 02:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Some people forget this is lying season.

It's lying season, but it's also catch up season where people are finally done with the senior bowl/combine/pro day whirlwind and get a few weeks to put puzzle pieces together.

This is the time of year where it became pretty clear that we were honing in on guys like Fowler, Fournette, Henderson, and Etienne.

(04-15-2022, 02:58 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 02:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Some people forget this is lying season. 

It's lying season, but it's also catch up season where people are finally done with the senior bowl/combine/pro day whirlwind and get a few weeks to put puzzle pieces together.

This is the time of year where it became pretty clear that we were honing in on guys like Fowler, Fournette, Henderson, and Etienne.
Lol, out of all those Fournette was the only one where we had a good idea that's who it was going to be because it just made to much sense on what Tom was trying to do.  You act like everyone knew we were taking CJ, Fowler, and Etienne lol.  You need to start calling it before the draft each year since you act like you knew we were taking all them lol.  Hindsight 2020 is always fun

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 05:40 PM by I am Yoda. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2022, 02:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 01:18 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Or we need a top 10 draft team to fall in love with whomever they think Detroit will pick at #2 if we stay at #1.  Maybe the Jets are thirsty for Thibs.  Maybe Seattle or Carolina love a qb.  We just need one team to get desperate to get ahead of Detroit.

And some of us watched and re-watched the game.  He wasn't being doubled.  He just didn't perform.

I don't know what you're not seeing, that I saw.

Every time he rushed from the outside, not when he stunted and tried to come inside, he was handled one on one by McClendon or Salyer.  Maybe that was his one bad game of the year.  Maybe he had a nagging injury that hasn't been disclosed. But he didn't do squat in the Orange Bowl.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-15-2022, 05:40 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 02:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know what you're not seeing, that I saw.

Every time he rushed from the outside, not when he stunted and tried to come inside, he was handled one on one by McClendon or Salyer.  Maybe that was his one bad game of the year.  Maybe he had a nagging injury that hasn't been disclosed. But he didn't do squat in the Orange Bowl.

https://saturdaytradition.com/michigan-f...rgia-game/

(04-15-2022, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 05:40 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Every time he rushed from the outside, not when he stunted and tried to come inside, he was handled one on one by McClendon or Salyer.  Maybe that was his one bad game of the year.  Maybe he had a nagging injury that hasn't been disclosed. But he didn't do squat in the Orange Bowl.

https://saturdaytradition.com/michigan-football/aidan-hutchinsons-legacy-draft-stock-shouldnt-take-a-hit-after-georgia-game/

Did you watch the clips?  Did you realize the source is a homer site?  In the clip where it shows 19 "chipping" him, he actually gets his hand on the back of Hutch's shoulder pad as he releases to his route without changing Hutch's trajectory or momentum.  McClendon blocks him clean.  A Heisman finalist should be beating McClendon on the regular.  Hutch was the better player, as he was backing him down.  But he couldn't shed the block and beat him.

As far as the excuse of quick passes and releases, if Stetson Bennett can execute that kind of game plan, what do you think NFL qbs will do?  I love me some Stetson Bennett, but I'm under no illusions as to his NFL potential.  What do you think Davis Mills or Zach Wilson or Tanneyhill will do?

I'm not saying he will be a bust.  I am saying that the bad game he had against UGA makes me reconsider my previous evaluation of him as the "no-brainer" pick at #1.  If he's our pick, he will be a Jag and my teal glasses will be firmly in place.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-15-2022, 06:09 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://saturdaytradition.com/michigan-football/aidan-hutchinsons-legacy-draft-stock-shouldnt-take-a-hit-after-georgia-game/

Did you watch the clips?  Did you realize the source is a homer site?  In the clip where it shows 19 "chipping" him, he actually gets his hand on the back of Hutch's shoulder pad as he releases to his route without changing Hutch's trajectory or momentum.  McClendon blocks him clean.  A Heisman finalist should be beating McClendon on the regular.  Hutch was the better player, as he was backing him down.  But he couldn't shed the block and beat him.

As far as the excuse of quick passes and releases, if Stetson Bennett can execute that kind of game plan, what do you think NFL qbs will do?  I love me some Stetson Bennett, but I'm under no illusions as to his NFL potential.  What do you think Davis Mills or Zach Wilson or Tanneyhill will do?

I'm not saying he will be a bust.  I am saying that the bad game he had against UGA makes me reconsider my previous evaluation of him as the "no-brainer" pick at #1.  If he's our pick, he will be a Jag and my teal glasses will be firmly in place.

Stetson Bennett is one of the top 5 QB's in college football. If he was 6'4" instead of 5'11" he'd be a sure-fire future first round pick, but he's tiny. Unfortunately that is what will likely keep him from being an NFL QB.

(04-15-2022, 06:09 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 05:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://saturdaytradition.com/michigan-football/aidan-hutchinsons-legacy-draft-stock-shouldnt-take-a-hit-after-georgia-game/

I watched the actual game, there were multiple plays where he was being held.  I posted some clips a while back on some of them.  If we have a defensive player that teams will have to game plan for that's exactly what I want.  If we had a 4-3 defense I'd want Walker and put him at DE.  I think Thibs is a great player as well but it sounds like there are a lot of red flags for him off the football field.   If there were no red flags about Thibs and based sorely on game play, Thibs would be right behind Hutch for me

(04-15-2022, 06:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 06:09 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Did you watch the clips?  Did you realize the source is a homer site?  In the clip where it shows 19 "chipping" him, he actually gets his hand on the back of Hutch's shoulder pad as he releases to his route without changing Hutch's trajectory or momentum.  McClendon blocks him clean.  A Heisman finalist should be beating McClendon on the regular.  Hutch was the better player, as he was backing him down.  But he couldn't shed the block and beat him.

Stetson Bennett is one of the top 5 QB's in college football. If he was 6'4" instead of 5'11" he'd be a sure-fire future first round pick, but he's tiny. Unfortunately that is what will likely keep him from being an NFL QB.
I am a Bulldogs fan. I have to strongly disagree with you on Bennett. He's average at best.

I would say he's right on par with Jake Fromm. Which isn't saying much.

Georgia has not had a really, strong armed QB since Matthew Stafford. They had a decent shot with Jacob Eason. That ended up being a flop.

They also completely blew it with Justin Fields. Georgia rode the backs of their defense and White and Cook out of the backfield.

I do like Brock Bowers though. Kid has a bright future at TE if he can add about 20 more pounds to his frame in two years.

I think Georgia will struggle big time this year. Wouldn't be surprised if Bennett ends up getting benched if they struggle early.

Alabama is going to be right back up there with Young at QB. I think Florida might start turning some heads as well this year.

Not a big fan of Kirby Smart either. But, strong defensive showing coupled by a few lucky breaks in that Alabama game allowed that Championship victory.

Just don't see it happening again with Bennett.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I have watched the entire UM/UGA game twice now, and I get the points from both sides. Georgia definitely gameplanned Hutch (and Ojabo) hard. They ran a lot of quick releases, they sent help, and they ran away from him.

That said, it's not like Stetson was releasing the ball quick on a screen and Hutch was breathing down his neck and would have gotten him if he would have just held the ball another second. Georgia wanted to completely negate him, and they did. Hutch definitely didn't come across as some force of nature that was going to cause havoc no matter what.

I bet if Kirby was being honest he would say that Hutch was much easier to neutralize than he expected.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 08:07 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-15-2022, 07:37 PM)Upper Wrote: I have watched the entire UM/UGA game twice now, and I get the points from both sides. Georgia definitely gameplanned Hutch (and Ojabo) hard. They ran a lot of quick releases, they sent help, and they ran away from him.

That said, it's not like Stetson was releasing the ball quick on a screen and Hutch was breathing down his neck and would have gotten him if he would have just held the ball another second. Georgia wanted to completely negate him, and they did. Hutch definitely didn't come across as some force of nature that was going to cause havoc no matter what.

I bet if Kirby was being honest he would say that Hutch was much easier to neutralize than he expected.

I don't mind the fact that Hutchinson had his [BLEEP] kicked against the best team in college football last year. Especially on a defense that doesn't have a strong supporting cast. Ultimately, his athleticism translated well enough onto his stat sheet last year and he may just now be hitting his stride. I liked what I saw out of him against Ohio State. If he's quiet one week and then absolutely [BLEEP] demolishes a backfield the following week? I'll take it. 

With proper coaching and NFL level strength training he can probably develop himself into a force to be reckoned with. I don't expect this kid to come into the NFL and start racking up 15.0 sacks per season over a 17 game stretch. He'll be up and down just like any other pass rusher. I like him more than Thibodeaux. That's for damn sure. And I like him more than any projected offensive tackle there. 

The more and more we get closer to the draft the less and less likely it appears this team will be fielding much interest in a trade down scenario. Take Hutchinson and move the [BLEEP] on already. Hutchinson won't be the focal point in Jacksonville right away. At least not until he shows early on that he's more than capable of handling a one-on-one and it forces teams to make a decision on who gets the focus on additional blocks. 

You're not double teaming Hutchinson and Allen on the same play. It'll cost you one way or another at some point on offense. The way I look at it is like this. If he gets 10.0 sacks as a rookie? Cool. If Josh Allen ends up getting 10.0+ sacks because of Hutchinson? Even better. I already see him having a field day against Matt Ryan twice a year, alone, already.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Evan Silva just released his new mock and has Walker at #1.

However, one thing to note, many analysts/scouts think this is the most wide open draft ever. Everyone is having a tough time figuring out where teams are going.

(04-16-2022, 08:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 07:37 PM)Upper Wrote: I have watched the entire UM/UGA game twice now, and I get the points from both sides. Georgia definitely gameplanned Hutch (and Ojabo) hard. They ran a lot of quick releases, they sent help, and they ran away from him.

I don't mind the fact that Hutchinson had his [BLEEP] kicked against the best team in college football last year.

We've seen elite DL get the Hutch treatment a lot though (Garrett, Clowney, Suh was getting triple teams, etc), and they still found a way to make an impact. It's not that Hutch was neutralized, it's that he was neutralized so easily. It's like they expected and gameplanned for a Garrett or Clowney type and what they got was something far less.

PFF has absolutely been burying Walker with all of these isolated production numbers lately. If Baalke does wind up taking him #1 it's basically going to be the biggest gamble in draft history.

Hutch and Walker likely don’t even go top 10 in last years class but will likely be the first 2 in this one.

Kinda crazy.

(04-16-2022, 11:14 AM)Upper Wrote: PFF has absolutely been burying Walker with all of these isolated production numbers lately. If Baalke does wind up taking him #1 it's basically going to be the biggest gamble in draft history.

(04-16-2022, 11:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hutch and Walker likely don’t even go top 10 in last years class but will likely be the first 2 in this one.

Kinda crazy.

Always a gamble. It's a shame the premiums get placed on DE and OT because in all honesty this team would be far better off taking Jordan Davis, Ahmad Gardner or Tyler Linderbaum. Safest picks in the first round IMHO. 

Jordan Davis adds an automatic handful and double team requirement at times with his size and speed. He routinely beat double teams at Georgia and he's the main reason why everybody else had opportunities to run free and make plays. I know we have Hamilton and we signed that guy from the Jets but I think you could ask Caldwell to get creative out there and figure out a way to make this kid fit and cause issues. 

At the minimum he's freeing up your linebackers and edge rushers. 

Gardner is a CB1 at the next level. It's already a crowded CB room but if you think he's the real deal and you like Campbell from RD2 last year and you're thinking Darious Williams is going to be solid on a three year deal? Maybe you say [BLEEP] it and take Gardner. Put Griffin on the trading block.

Linderbaum is probably the most consistent of these three at their respective positions. Not worried about his size with his wrestling background. He's a clean player. Gets the job done. Immediately fixes and upgrades your offensive line play in general since he's responsible for calling the alignments out. 

I don't envy Baalke this year. However, this is one of those drafts where it's like, if he doesn't get a trade down? I WILL NOT HOLD IT AGAINST HIM IF HE TAKES A COMPLETE LEFT TURN AND DOES NOT TAKE THE CONSENSUS PICK THERE. 

Mainstream and popularity contests be damned. No sense in drafting the guy that looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Get you a football player. A SOUND football player and rest easy that night.

Just because Hutch and Walker would be fringe top 10 guys in most drafts doesn't mean they aren't still way more valuable than guys like Davis and Linderbaum (Sauce would have a debate probably).

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 02:00 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-16-2022, 01:35 PM)Upper Wrote: Just because Hutch and Walker would be fringe top 10 guys in most drafts doesn't mean they aren't still way more valuable than guys like Davis and Linderbaum (Sauce would have a debate probably).

Depends. Dempsey made a fair point yesterday on 1010XL. The number one prospect, according to some expert, is saying Hutchinson compares to Wistrom. That's a very, very, very "meh" report to here on a guy you're thinking about taking number one overall. 

Whereas, you're probably passing up on a DT that's on par with more than likely Fletcher Cox & Geno Atkins athletically in the pass rushing department and a space eater like Michael Brockers or Damon Harris in Jordan Davis that upgrades your entire defense. 

Same for Linderbaum. Linderbaum is probably going to end up being a consistent pro-bowl / all-pro caliber Center for the next 10 years. Like I said earlier. I don't envy Baalke this year. I am looking at getting the most value out of my draft pick. While also having high reward and lower risks involved.

Davis, Gardner and Linderbaum check all of those boxes for me in this first round class. I like Hutchinson. Just one big year of production though kind of worries me. Thibodeaux's overall behavior worries me. Walker was a solid player for Georgia. However, on defense, I think it all started with Davis and it's hard for me to pass on Davis if he's on the board in favor of Walker.