Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Songs that should have been on the radio but never were

(06-08-2022, 07:10 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Also add, "Searching With My Good Eye Closed" by Soundgarden. It's one of my favorite tracks by them but I've never heard it on the radio.

I love Chris Cornell, but, I did not enjoy that one.  Sorry.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The song I was thinking of was "Do you feel the same" Silverchair. Just straight ahead bluesy rock, could have been at home on rock radio in '79, '99, or '19. Probably Daniel Johns' best vocal performance (he usually sounds like he's trying too hard) and his best guitar performance (he usually didn't even attempt solos). Silverchair was by no means a great band, but when you consider that Daniel Johns was 18 and 19 years old while they were recording Neon Ballroom, with half the tracks having complex orchestral arrangements that he wrote, it's pretty remarkable although not always good. But "Do you feel the same" cuts through that crap.

How do you guys find music that's not on the radio? Honest question I only hear what's on the radio or every once in a while I hear a song on some video and look it up. That's how I found Cody Jinx and some other country artist.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2022, 12:51 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-08-2022, 06:59 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 07:53 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Patti Smith's biggest and well-known hit is Because the Night.  Maybe you have her confused with Van Morrison or the Shadows of Knight?

She did a remake of "Gloria" too, it rocks and got radio airplay back in the day which is why I didn't include it. It was on her first album, Horses. She was typically labeled punk rock but that's not really accurate. "Because the Night" is her most commercially successful song which she co-wrote wrote with Bruce Springsteen. She also co-wrote "Fire of Unknown Origin" which she recorded after the Blue Oyster Cult version came out (her version is COMPLETELY different than the BOC version).

Wave was not her biggest selling album but it has some good tracks on it, "So Ya Wanna.." probably qualifies as the most radio friendly track that *wasn't* on the radio. A couple others I might have mentioned actually did get some limited airplay, "Dancing Barefoot" and "Frederick".

Yea, I had the Horses album on vinyl back in the day. I agree, she was more pop than punk, but the way she performed and presented herself fell more on the side of the Sex Pistols than on the side of, say, Blondie or Pat Benatar.

One song that was all over MTV back in the mid/late 80's was 'Under the Milky Way Tonight', by the Church. Loved that song and video, but I can't ever remember hearing it on terrestrial radio back then.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-08-2022, 08:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 07:10 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Also add, "Searching With My Good Eye Closed" by Soundgarden. It's one of my favorite tracks by them but I've never heard it on the radio.

I love Chris Cornell, but, I did not enjoy that one.  Sorry.

No need to apologize, everyone's tastes in music are different. That was just a track that feels like it should have gotten some airplay IMO as opposed to something like Spoonman which never particularly appealed to me.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-08-2022, 09:41 PM)EricC85 Wrote: How do you guys find music that's not on the radio? Honest question I only hear what's on the radio or every once in a while I hear a song on some video and look it up. That's how I found Cody Jinx and some other country artist.

I listen to a lot of genres that don't get radio airplay (all styles of metal, electronica, punk).

It helps to have friends with similar interests. Use any of the music apps out there and the algorithms will likely point you to something you've not heard before. Visit websites or follow record labels who put out music from bands you like. Chances are they have other sub-labels or bands on the label that you've not heard before. Go to shows, and check out the opening acts.

The caveat is that if your thing is stadium rock, you're likely only gonna find GNR, Metallica, ACDC and stuff like that; Don't be afraid to push the envelope out of a comfort zone, you might end up landing on a new favorite artist.

I've found Plush and Bloodywood just watching youtube videos. Two new, up-and-coming acts that aren't getting a lot of airtime. Finding online stations that play bands I like (Amorphis) I ended up finding Grima and Pathway, which led to Igorrr.

I had a friend who ran a local (college) band site. Learned a lot about nearby acts, but also because I dug his band and a lot of the ones he was recommending, he introduced me to At the Drive-In, Dismemberment Plan as bigger acts, but also the local flavor like Jive Turkeys, Porous. Another friend introduced me to Volbeat, and they're now one of my go-to listens. I'd have never heard of the Silver Apples if I didn't discuss psychadelic rock with a friend in college.

When NIN came out, I started checking out everything Nothing records was producing.  Found Squarepusher that way.
Went to go see Overkill in high school. Some band from Kansas (Stick) opened for them and their CD is still in heavy rotation.

(06-08-2022, 09:41 PM)EricC85 Wrote: How do you guys find music that's not on the radio? Honest question I only hear what's on the radio or every once in a while I hear a song on some video and look it up. That's how I found Cody Jinx and some other country artist.

Personally, I just explore different albums by different artists that I like or have similar styles or maybe someone suggests something to me (Spotify has a "discover" mix and while they generally play popular songs, it helps me find new artists that I like). That's how I discovered Michael Franti for example.

(06-09-2022, 12:48 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 06:59 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: She did a remake of "Gloria" too, it rocks and got radio airplay back in the day which is why I didn't include it. It was on her first album, Horses. She was typically labeled punk rock but that's not really accurate. "Because the Night" is her most commercially successful song which she co-wrote wrote with Bruce Springsteen. She also co-wrote "Fire of Unknown Origin" which she recorded after the Blue Oyster Cult version came out (her version is COMPLETELY different than the BOC version).

Wave was not her biggest selling album but it has some good tracks on it, "So Ya Wanna.." probably qualifies as the most radio friendly track that *wasn't* on the radio. A couple others I might have mentioned actually did get some limited airplay, "Dancing Barefoot" and "Frederick".

Yea, I had the Horses album on vinyl back in the day.  I agree, she was more pop than punk, but the way she performed and presented herself fell more on the side of the Sex Pistols than on the side of, say, Blondie or Pat Benatar.

One song that was all over MTV back in the mid/late 80's was 'Under the Milky Way Tonight', by the Church.  Loved that song and video, but I can't ever remember hearing it on terrestrial radio back then.

I think of PSG as kind of art-house rock with a dose of punk performance style. Today, she'd probably get called "indie alternative". I dunno, she's hard to classify.

Re "Under the Milky Way", I like that song too! I hadn't listened to that in awhile. ;-)

I lived in DC during the 90's and they had one of the most alternative rock station in the country 99.1 WHFS. While they played a lot of REM off the albums Document and Green, there are other songs I preferred from their 1s two albums Murmur and Reckoning.

(06-09-2022, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I listen to a lot of genres that don't get radio airplay (all styles of metal, electronica, punk).

It helps to have friends with similar interests. Use any of the music apps out there and the algorithms will likely point you to something you've not heard before. Visit websites or follow record labels who put out music from bands you like. Chances are they have other sub-labels or bands on the label that you've not heard before. Go to shows, and check out the opening acts.

The caveat is that if your thing is stadium rock, you're likely only gonna find GNR, Metallica, ACDC and stuff like that; Don't be afraid to push the envelope out of a comfort zone, you might end up landing on a new favorite artist.

I've found Plush and Bloodywood just watching youtube videos. Two new, up-and-coming acts that aren't getting a lot of airtime. Finding online stations that play bands I like (Amorphis) I ended up finding Grima and Pathway, which led to Igorrr.

I had a friend who ran a local (college) band site. Learned a lot about nearby acts, but also because I dug his band and a lot of the ones he was recommending, he introduced me to At the Drive-In, Dismemberment Plan as bigger acts, but also the local flavor like Jive Turkeys, Porous. Another friend introduced me to Volbeat, and they're now one of my go-to listens. I'd have never heard of the Silver Apples if I didn't discuss psychadelic rock with a friend in college.

When NIN came out, I started checking out everything Nothing records was producing.  Found Squarepusher that way.
Went to go see Overkill in high school. Some band from Kansas (Stick) opened for them and their CD is still in heavy rotation.

Yeah Stick sounds like they would have fit in on the radio in 1993.  Just didn't have one of the big boys on their side I guess.

I'll try to limit the non-radio tunes to bands most of you have heard of. Album names in parentheses, all of which have a hit single on them.

Van Halen: "Women in Love" (from Van Halen II)
The Who: "Bell Boy" (Quadrophenia)
Red Rider: "Only Game in Town" (As Far As Siam)
AC/DC: "Snowballed" (For Those About to Rock)
Rush: "The Analog Kid" (Signals)
.38 Special: "You Got the Deal" (Rockin Into the Night)
Blue Oyster Cult: "Vengeance" (Fire of Unknown Origin)
John Denver: "Mother Nature's Son" (Rocky Mountain High)
R.E.M.: "These Days" (Life's Rich Pageant)
Offspring: "Smash" (Smash)
Judas Priest: "Turning Circles" (Point of Entry)

Blood, Milk & The Sky.. White Zombie, Astrocreep

Great song.. I guess that song would be his ballad song if you would compare tempos from the rest of the album lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-09-2022, 09:14 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I'll try to limit the non-radio tunes to bands most of you have heard of.  Album names in parentheses, all of which have a hit single on them.

Van Halen:  "Women in Love" (from Van Halen II)
The Who:  "Bell Boy" (Quadrophenia)
Red Rider:  "Only Game in Town" (As Far As Siam)
AC/DC:  "Snowballed" (For Those About to Rock)
Blue Oyster Cult:  "Vengeance" (Fire of Unknown Origin)
R.E.M.:  "These Days" (Life's Rich Pageant)

Some good recommendations in there thanks!

(06-09-2022, 09:14 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I'll try to limit the non-radio tunes to bands most of you have heard of.  Album names in parentheses, all of which have a hit single on them.

Speaking of AC/DC, I've always liked the Flick Of The Switch album which is mostly forgotten these days. It has a track called "Bedlam in Belgium" that never got much airplay but probably could have. It's supposedly based on a true story experienced by the band in the late 70s.

(06-13-2022, 08:10 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

Speaking of AC/DC, I've always liked the Flick Of The Switch album which is mostly forgotten these days. It has a track called "Bedlam in Belgium" that never got much airplay but probably could have. It's supposedly based on a true story experienced by the band in the late 70s.

Yeah, that's a great recommendation.  Good songs, but none of them are on classic rock radio.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 09:18 AM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

Maybe I'm not the only Beach Boys fan here. Most people know that Beach Boys recordings got progressively more complex and ornate, culminating in "Good Vibrations" as they chased The Beatles for critical acclaim. Then Sgt Peppers came out and they essentially gave up on chasing them for high art value.
The popular version of the story is they did nothing of note until Endless Summer came out, then they became a jukebox nostalgia band. But there's a 7 year gap there, and they never stopped recording. They put out some quality falsetto-driven rock and roll in those years, but all of it charted really low in the US, if at all. Oddly, they charted higher in the UK. All of these albums are inconsistent, and none are really worth a straight through listen, but there are some great singles. Try "It's about time" and "Slip on through" for a heavier side, and "Feel flows" and "All I wanna do" for something lighter.

(06-14-2022, 09:13 AM)mikesez Wrote: Maybe I'm not the only Beach Boys fan here. Most people know that Beach Boys recordings got progressively more complex and ornate, culminating in "Good Vibrations" as they chased The Beatles for critical acclaim. Then Sgt Peppers came out and they essentially gave up on chasing them for high art value.
The popular version of the story is they did nothing of note until Endless Summer came out, then they became a jukebox nostalgia band. But there's a 7 year gap there, and they never stopped recording. They put out some quality falsetto-driven rock and roll in those years, but all of it charted really low in the US, if at all. Oddly, they charted higher in the UK. All of these albums are inconsistent, and none are really worth a straight through listen, but there are some great singles. Try "It's about time" and "Slip on through" for a heavier side, and "Feel flows" and "All I wanna do" for something lighter.

I'm one. Pet Sounds was a visionary album. McCartney is on record saying that it was a huge influence on the Beatles as they moved out of their 'yeah yeah yeah' stage into more complex production/arranging.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption