Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
LIV Golf Series

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2023, 07:29 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

Jon Rahm making his official announcement on Fox News right now.

The current Masters Champion is wearing a LIV golf jacket, Marty. Oh my Gawd!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-07-2023, 07:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Jon Rahm making his official announcement on Fox News right now.

LIV Golf sucks, but money talks.  Have golf fans actually been asking for "golf, but louder," 54-hole, no-cut tournaments with shotgun starts, and music blaring on the driving range?   Not according to the TV ratings.  So what the hell is the future of this thing?

(12-08-2023, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-07-2023, 07:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Jon Rahm making his official announcement on Fox News right now.

LIV Golf sucks, but money talks.  Have golf fans actually been asking for "golf, but louder," 54-hole, no-cut tournaments with shotgun starts, and music blaring on the driving range?   Not according to the TV ratings.  So what the hell is the future of this thing?

Not everyone thinks LIV sucks. The fan turnout for their tournaments is increasing and was wildly successful in Australia. The TV ratings aren't there because the larger networks aren't going to gamble on something this new and controversial with the traditionalists. 

The problem for the PGA is they're dealing from a position of weakness right now. They hemorrhaged money during COVID and had to take out loans to stay afloat. From an article I read a couple of months ago, at one time they were struggling to not default on those loans and currently have very little cash in reserve. Couple that with the fact Jay Monahan is a weak and untrusted commissioner, the PGA is not well. The halcyon days of Tiger Woods changing the face of golf and packing in the viewers are over.

My hopes are to see the PGA and LIV blend. All players play a traditional PGA format most of the time but host a LIV style tournament about once every six weeks. Could you imagine a team of Tiger, Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth and Scottie Scheffler taking on other teams of top world talent? I think that would be great. I know that would grind the gears of traditionalists, but the times they are a changing.

(12-08-2023, 10:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: LIV Golf sucks, but money talks.  Have golf fans actually been asking for "golf, but louder," 54-hole, no-cut tournaments with shotgun starts, and music blaring on the driving range?   Not according to the TV ratings.  So what the hell is the future of this thing?

Not everyone thinks LIV sucks. The fan turnout for their tournaments is increasing and was wildly successful in Australia. The TV ratings aren't there because the larger networks aren't going to gamble on something this new and controversial with the traditionalists. 

The problem for the PGA is they're dealing from a position of weakness right now. They hemorrhaged money during COVID and had to take out loans to stay afloat. From an article I read a couple of months ago, at one time they were struggling to not default on those loans and currently have very little cash in reserve. Couple that with the fact Jay Monahan is a weak and untrusted commissioner, the PGA is not well. The halcyon days of Tiger Woods changing the face of golf and packing in the viewers are over.

My hopes are to see the PGA and LIV blend. All players play a traditional PGA format most of the time but host a LIV style tournament about once every six weeks. Could you imagine a team of Tiger, Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth and Scottie Scheffler taking on other teams of top world talent? I think that would be great. I know that would grind the gears of traditionalists, but the times they are a changing.

Yes please

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Anthony Kim looking rough. He shanked an approach shot and supposedly topped a drive. His putting is atrocious. But with all that, he still managed to break 80. Not bad for a guy who hasn’t played a round of professional golf in 12 years. He didn’t even own a set of clubs. He’ll come around.

LIV is giving up its attempt to get Official World Golf Ranking points.

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/news/liv-...or-futures

(03-06-2024, 07:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: LIV is giving up its attempt to get Official World Golf Ranking points. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/news/liv-...or-futures

As they should.  Pulling a dude off the streets after 12 years of not playing professional golf shows they aren't a serious tour. 

I look at LIV as the Globetrotters of the PGA.

FYI, Full Swing Season 2 starts tonight.