Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
LIV Golf Series

(06-09-2022, 03:35 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 11:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: PGA suspends all players participating in LIV

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/340...tournament

This smacks of excessive control on the part of the PGA.  Ironic that the Saudi's look like the free enterprisers here.

Let's see how this players out.  Be interesting if the LIV attract the best 10 US golfers, will they continue to enforce the President's Cup / Ryder Cup ban?
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-09-2022, 03:52 PM)captivating Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 03:35 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: This smacks of excessive control on the part of the PGA.  Ironic that the Saudi's look like the free enterprisers here.

Let's see how this players out.  Be interesting if the LIV attract the best 10 US golfers, will they continue to enforce the President's Cup / Ryder Cup ban?

It sure will. Banning from the PGA Championship would also seem to be in the works here, to be consistent with the suspension policy. Along with the FedEx Cup.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-09-2022, 04:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 03:52 PM)captivating Wrote: Let's see how this players out.  Be interesting if the LIV attract the best 10 US golfers, will they continue to enforce the President's Cup / Ryder Cup ban?

It sure will. Banning from the PGA Championship would also seem to be in the works here, to be consistent with the suspension policy.  Along with the FedEx Cup.

The PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America which is separate from PGA Tour Inc. None of the 4 majors belong to them, that's why our TPC is the "5th major", it's the only one the PGA Tour body owns and these guys will still be eligible for the 4 majors unless those individual bodies ( Augusta National, USGA, the Royal & Ancient, PGAA) suspend them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The USGA says it will not prevent LIV players from participating in the U.S. Open.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/340...le-golfers

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2022, 08:13 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 5 times in total.)

(06-10-2022, 07:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 04:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: It sure will. Banning from the PGA Championship would also seem to be in the works here, to be consistent with the suspension policy.  Along with the FedEx Cup.

The PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America which is separate from PGA Tour Inc. None of the 4 majors belong to them, that's why our TPC is the "5th major", it's the only one the PGA Tour body owns and these guys will still be eligible for the 4 majors unless those individual bodies ( Augusta National, USGA, the Royal & Ancient, PGAA) suspend them.

Players ranked in the top-50 in the official world golf rankings (OWGR) qualify for the Masters.  Same thing for the (British) Open. The top-60 in the OWGR automatically qualify for the US Open.  The PGA takes the top-100.  

Right now, LIV golf is not a part of the OWGR.    And even if it was, the average OWGR of the 48 players in the LIV field is 100, which is a very weak field.  So even if LIV golf was qualified for the OWGR, it doesn't help a player's OWGR to play against such a weak field.  The result could be that players in LIV golf could see their OWGR decline due to the weakness of the LIV golf field.  And even worse, if OWGR decides not to allow LIV tournaments to be included in the OWGR, the players' OWGR rankings will sink even faster.  And therefore some LIV players could lose their qualification for all the majors.

The other day, a LIV representative was asked about whether LIV tournaments were qualified for inclusion in the OWGR, and his response was that they had applied for the right to submit an application.  Whatever that means.

The majors could easily change their requirements if they are missing out on elite players.

(06-10-2022, 09:15 AM)rfc17 Wrote: The majors could easily change their requirements if they are missing out on elite players.

I don't see a single player that I'd consider 'elite' that's gone to that tour.  Well known, from past success?  Yes.  Currently one of the top players?  Nope.  Closest would be DJ.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2022, 10:45 AM by NewJagsCity.)

(06-10-2022, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 07:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America which is separate from PGA Tour Inc. None of the 4 majors belong to them, that's why our TPC is the "5th major", it's the only one the PGA Tour body owns and these guys will still be eligible for the 4 majors unless those individual bodies ( Augusta National, USGA, the Royal & Ancient, PGAA) suspend them.

Players ranked in the top-50 in the official world golf rankings (OWGR) qualify for the Masters.  Same thing for the (British) Open. The top-60 in the OWGR automatically qualify for the US Open.  The PGA takes the top-100.  

Right now, LIV golf is not a part of the OWGR.    And even if it was, the average OWGR of the 48 players in the LIV field is 100, which is a very weak field.  So even if LIV golf was qualified for the OWGR, it doesn't help a player's OWGR to play against such a weak field.  The result could be that players in LIV golf could see their OWGR decline due to the weakness of the LIV golf field.  And even worse, if OWGR decides not to allow LIV tournaments to be included in the OWGR, the players' OWGR rankings will sink even faster.  And therefore some LIV players could lose their qualification for all the majors.

The other day, a LIV representative was asked about whether LIV tournaments were qualified for inclusion in the OWGR, and his response was that they had applied for the right to submit an application.  Whatever that means.

Thanks to you both for the info. I wasn't fully aware. So, then maybe the Players will be affected?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I really like this format. It’s always interesting to watch with the shotgun start and it’s all done in four and a half hours.

(06-10-2022, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 07:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America which is separate from PGA Tour Inc. None of the 4 majors belong to them, that's why our TPC is the "5th major", it's the only one the PGA Tour body owns and these guys will still be eligible for the 4 majors unless those individual bodies ( Augusta National, USGA, the Royal & Ancient, PGAA) suspend them.

Mickelson has a lifetime invite to the Masters, PGA and The Open as do any of the others that won those tournaments. Likewise past US Open champions like DJ and Bryson receive a 10 year exemption to qualification for that tournament plus a 5 year automatic invite to The Players. This could get really, really ugly if the PGA Tour tries to keep those guys out; an indefinite suspension because you played another Tour could be a nasty labor dispute.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-10-2022, 10:16 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 09:15 AM)rfc17 Wrote: The majors could easily change their requirements if they are missing out on elite players.

I don't see a single player that I'd consider 'elite' that's gone to that tour.  Well known, from past success?  Yes.  Currently one of the top players?  Nope.  Closest would be DJ.

Rory McIlroy walks into Jay Monahan’s office: 
“I’m thinking of jumping over to the LIV. What will you pay me to stay?”

Monahan runs to his safe.

(06-10-2022, 10:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Players ranked in the top-50 in the official world golf rankings (OWGR) qualify for the Masters.  Same thing for the (British) Open. The top-60 in the OWGR automatically qualify for the US Open.  The PGA takes the top-100.  

Mickelson has a lifetime invite to the Masters, PGA and The Open as do any of the others that won those tournaments. Likewise past US Open champions like DJ and Bryson receive a 10 year exemption to qualification for that tournament plus a 5 year automatic invite to The Players. This could get really, really ugly if the PGA Tour tries to keep those guys out; an indefinite suspension because you played another Tour could be a nasty labor dispute.

The announcers for the LIV stream were saying that the guys in Savile Row suits and carrying brief cases are about to have a payday.

(06-10-2022, 10:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Mickelson has a lifetime invite to the Masters, PGA and The Open as do any of the others that won those tournaments. Likewise past US Open champions like DJ and Bryson receive a 10 year exemption to qualification for that tournament plus a 5 year automatic invite to The Players. This could get really, really ugly if the PGA Tour tries to keep those guys out; an indefinite suspension because you played another Tour could be a nasty labor dispute.

The announcers for the LIV stream were saying that the guys in Savile Row suits and carrying brief cases are about to have a payday.

Yeah, I think the PGA Tour really blew this, they could've just ignored it, but instead they've come across as heavy handed which just provides evidence of what Mickelson said was the problem. You don't see the NFL acting this way towards the start up leagues, they just ignore them and wait for them to fail.

(06-10-2022, 11:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The announcers for the LIV stream were saying that the guys in Savile Row suits and carrying brief cases are about to have a payday.

Yeah, I think the PGA Tour really blew this, they could've just ignored it, but instead they've come across as heavy handed which just provides evidence of what Mickelson said was the problem. You don't see the NFL acting this way towards the start up leagues, they just ignore them and wait for them to fail.

What exactly is Mickelson's problem with the PGA Tour, other than Phil Mickelson not being paid enough?

(06-10-2022, 12:46 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 11:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yeah, I think the PGA Tour really blew this, they could've just ignored it, but instead they've come across as heavy handed which just provides evidence of what Mickelson said was the problem. You don't see the NFL acting this way towards the start up leagues, they just ignore them and wait for them to fail.

What exactly is Mickelson's problem with the PGA Tour, other than Phil Mickelson not being paid enough?

He believes players should be able to play other leagues without fear of suspension or sanction by the PGA. He’s not the only one.

I don't have a problem with the PGA tour wanting to be exclusive.
They are free to set up their model however they see fit, IMO.

Exclusivity has it's own allure and can help hold a league in an "elite" position if they attract the best players consistently.

This is just the first time we've seen enough prize money and contract money being thrown at players that golfers would consider a different tour/series.

So far it's just guys who are confident they won't be able to make that kind of money on the PGA tour, don't mind losing sponsors, and value the guaranteed dollar signs above any sort of legacy as a competitor.
I don't blame them for making that decision any more than I blame the PGA for wanting to attempt to maintain their "elite" status and wanting to distance themselves from a tour/series they view as shady due to the politics of those funding it.

I don't have a lot of respect for the people who pay me, but I never turn it down.
So I can't judge these golfer making the move.
At the same time the PGA tour has every right to put rules and guidelines in place for inclusion in their competitions.

(06-10-2022, 11:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The announcers for the LIV stream were saying that the guys in Savile Row suits and carrying brief cases are about to have a payday.

I think the PGA sees this as an unprecedented threat.  The NFL has never had to worry about a start-up league with deeper pockets than it has.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(06-10-2022, 07:45 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 11:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yeah, I think the PGA Tour really blew this, they could've just ignored it, but instead they've come across as heavy handed which just provides evidence of what Mickelson said was the problem. You don't see the NFL acting this way towards the start up leagues, they just ignore them and wait for them to fail.

I think the PGA sees this as an unprecedented threat.  The NFL has never had to worry about a start-up league with deeper pockets than it has.

They're poaching players right and left. If this first event turns out to be a viewing success, I think we'll see more defectors in the future.

(06-10-2022, 10:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I really like this format. It’s always interesting to watch with the shotgun start and it’s all done in four and a half hours.

This is long overdue. Too much complaining about being in the afternoon vs the morning wave, being affected disproportionately by weather, etc. Of course, the media and sponsors may not like this because of potential reduced broadcast time, but for the players its great.

Love that their is no cut. Everyone gets paid. Don't like the shortening to 54 holes, tho.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2022, 06:19 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-11-2022, 12:16 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I really like this format. It’s always interesting to watch with the shotgun start and it’s all done in four and a half hours.

This is long overdue.  Too much complaining about being in the afternoon vs the morning wave, being affected disproportionately by weather, etc.  Of course, the media and sponsors may not like this because of potential reduced broadcast time, but for the players its great. 

Love that their is no cut.  Everyone gets paid.  Don't like the shortening to 54 holes, tho.

Less time on TV plus more prize money doesn't seem like a sustainable business model to me.  

Also, I am wondering, since the tournaments have 48 players, if some more players jump to LIV Golf, who gets cut and no longer has a spot in LIV Golf?  And what if the guy who gets cut has already been suspended by the PGA Tour?  Where does he go play if that happens?