Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
LIV Golf Series

(06-21-2022, 01:36 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: PGA Tour responds to an extent.  I don't think it will be enough and that more is coming.  I think they need to address how to compensate the young players/KFT players so they don't lose their pipeline: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tou...l-schedule

The PGA blinked. Furthermore, the DP Tour would rather negotiate with the LIV than the PGA. Monahan tipped his hand too soon with the ban hammer. Now he’s getting into deepening waters.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And Phil came out in support of it.
Link https://www.compleatgolfer.com/pga-tour/...-leverage/

Matt Wolff headed over.

(06-27-2022, 12:20 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Matt Wolff headed over.

Lol. Guy needed to. He's a bum.and was barely making any cuts on a real tour.

Still seems like a bunch of has-beens and never-wases.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 05:32 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

Couples slams Mickelson. Not sure why he didn't go after any other 'defector'.

I wonder if Mickelson would have had to go this route had he not lost a fortune gambling over his lifetime. I could have envisioned him as Chairman of the PGA Players Advisory Council. Not anymore.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/fred-co...-him-again
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-30-2022, 05:31 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Couples slams Mickelson.  Not sure why he didn't go after any other 'defector'.

I wonder if Mickelson would have had to go this route had he not lost a fortune gambling over his lifetime.  I could have envisioned him as Chairman of the PGA Players Advisory Council.  Not anymore.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/fred-co...-him-again

The older guys are faithful to the PGA because it gave them a good life. With that being said, I wonder how many of them would have made the jump had something like the LIV existed in their prime. More than they’re willing to admit.

I’m liking the LIV. I enjoy watching the format and the team aspect. They’ve already signed the second highest ranked amateur which will not be a good trend for the PGA if they start landing more.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2022, 08:49 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

Since it was storming today, I watched the entire round. I love it. Dustin Johnson and Carlos Ortiz in the lead with Brooks Koepka not far behind. Tomorrow will be a good shootout if these guys keep playing like they were today.

All of the tickets for tomorrow's event are sold out. It's drawing spectators.

(07-01-2022, 08:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Since it was storming today, I watched the entire round. I love it. Dustin Johnson and Carlos Ortiz in the lead with Brooks Koepka not far behind. Tomorrow will be a good shootout if these guys keep playing like they were today.

Man you are really sold on this being a thing huh? It's a wannabe league filled with washed players and nobodies.

(07-02-2022, 12:40 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 08:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Since it was storming today, I watched the entire round. I love it. Dustin Johnson and Carlos Ortiz in the lead with Brooks Koepka not far behind. Tomorrow will be a good shootout if these guys keep playing like they were today.

Man you are really sold on this being a thing huh? It's a wannabe league filled with washed players and nobodies.

I’m not sold on anything. The fact of the matter is it’s fun to watch if you like golf. The format is fast paced and interesting. But if comparisons are what float your boat, a high percentage of PGA players will only hoist a couple of trophies in their career, if any at all. You’re misguided if you think they’re all superstars.

(07-02-2022, 06:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 12:40 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Man you are really sold on this being a thing huh? It's a wannabe league filled with washed players and nobodies.

I’m not sold on anything. The fact of the matter is it’s fun to watch if you like golf. The format is fast paced and interesting. But if comparisons are what float your boat, a high percentage of PGA players will only hoist a couple of trophies in their career, if any at all. You’re misguided if you think they’re all superstars.

I like watching golf and I don’t particularly like watching it.  Just sayin’.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(07-02-2022, 08:27 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 06:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m not sold on anything. The fact of the matter is it’s fun to watch if you like golf. The format is fast paced and interesting. But if comparisons are what float your boat, a high percentage of PGA players will only hoist a couple of trophies in their career, if any at all. You’re misguided if you think they’re all superstars.

I like watching golf and I don’t particularly like watching it.  Just sayin’.

Why not? Honest question.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 12:18 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-02-2022, 11:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 08:27 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I like watching golf and I don’t particularly like watching it.  Just sayin’.

Why not? Honest question.

I don’t like the format myself.  I prefer a traditional tournament and I also like the large fields in the PGA tournaments where you have a plethora of young talent instead of just a few ‘names’.  I also think that no cuts is dumb.  The whole thing just feels too gimmicky to me.  It’s a bunch of former top players no longer at the top of their games doing a money grab.  I don’t blame them…that’s fine for them.  But I have no interest. Quite frankly, I won’t watch anymore and will continue to watch the PGA tournaments.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Paul Casey going over.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2022, 05:31 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

Okay, HB, I promise I won't pound this thing into the ground, but I think there are some legitimate questions about LIV that are worthy of discussion.

1) Sustainability.  Is there a business plan that would make this thing self-funding?  If Saudi Arabia decides they've lost enough money and LIV is not giving them what they want, is there any business plan that would allow LIV to survive?

2) How do they get players?  Right now, they leech them off the PGA and DP tours.  In contrast, the PGA Tour has a feeder league- the Korn Ferry tour.  So the PGA Tour has a flow of new players.  And the PGA Tour has other ways a player can qualify for a tournament.  A player can force his way onto the PGA Tour by being a great player.  He doesn't have to wait for Greg Norman to invite him.  

3) At what point does LIV start cutting players?  What happens when the field is full, and there's another big name that wants to join?  Phil finished 42nd in Portland out of 48 players.  Would they ever cut Phil loose if a better player wanted to join?  The PGA Tour is a meritocracy.  There are rules, and you make it or you don't.  No favoritism.  So, if you look at #2 and #3, you see younger, better players pushing the older players out on the PGA Tour.  Do fans want to see weekly invitational tournaments when every player is guaranteed to earn money? 

4) What happens when all these big name players have fulfilled their 3-year obligations?  Are they going to offer DJ another $100 million to stay?  What do they do if, when his enlistment is up, DJ says, I'd like to go back to the PGA Tour?  Does he take his $150 million and petition for re-admission to the PGA Tour?

5) 3-rounds, with shotgun start.  If an average round in a professional tournament is 5 hours max, that's 15 hours of LIV golf.  And only 8 tournaments.  A PGA tournament is 4 rounds, and the rounds last all day, because there are more players, and they usually all tee off on the first hole.  That's a lot more advertising space than LIV has.  More ads = more money.  This goes directly to the question of sustainability. 

6) The product itself.  "Golf, only louder" is their slogan.  Do we need louder golf?  And with the shotgun starts, do we want to see the winner end his round and win on the 15th hole?  Where are the fans when the winner ends his round?  In a PGA tournament, the fans are gathered up from previous holes and there's a huge crowd on the 18th hole at the end of the tournament.  Look at the Canadian Open this year, when the entire crowd was around the 18th green when Rory McIlroy finished.  That adds to the TV drama.

7) Official World Golf Rankings.  If LIV doesn't get a lot more strong players, then because of the weak fields that play their tournaments, their players will start sinking in the OWGR.  The OWGR is how players qualify for major championships without having to go through qualifying tournaments.  

Right now, LIV is a parasite that feeds off of Saudi Arabia and poaches players from other tours.  Is that really sustainable?  

I know this post is dripping with negativity, but these are legitimate questions.

Myself and most of my friends are avid golf watchers. A bunch of us just went to the travelers championship last weekend. Not one of us have any interest in watching a LIV event. I'd say that's how most people feel and that you are in the minority if you enjoy watching it.

(07-03-2022, 10:41 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Myself and most of my friends are avid golf watchers. A bunch of us just went to the travelers championship last weekend. Not one of us have any interest in watching a LIV event. I'd say that's how most people feel and that you are in the minority if you enjoy watching it.

I get what you're saying, but if the LIV attracts the best, then the PGA field will resemble what we saw at the John Deere.  If that's the case, people will turn off and sponsors won't be willing to spend as much.  When that happens, TV networks wont spend as much.

LIV might look flawed, but it's attracting the players we all want to see.  

People like Brandel Chamblee only hurt the PGA cause.  People aren't dumb to not see the hypocrisy of the PGA saying LIV ignores human rights abuse by the Saudis when the PGA is building its brand in China.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(07-04-2022, 04:18 AM)captivating Wrote:
(07-03-2022, 10:41 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Myself and most of my friends are avid golf watchers. A bunch of us just went to the travelers championship last weekend. Not one of us have any interest in watching a LIV event. I'd say that's how most people feel and that you are in the minority if you enjoy watching it.

I get what you're saying, but if the LIV attracts the best, then the PGA field will resemble what we saw at the John Deere.  If that's the case, people will turn off and sponsors won't be willing to spend as much.  When that happens, TV networks wont spend as much.

LIV might look flawed, but it's attracting the players we all want to see.

People like Brandel Chamblee only hurt the PGA cause.  People aren't dumb to not see the hypocrisy of the PGA saying LIV ignores human rights abuse by the Saudis when the PGA is building its brand in China.

LIV doesn't have any of the top 16 players in the world.  Those are the players I want to see.