Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fred Taylor Discussion on Dan Patrick Show

Mic drop

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 08:47 AM by Predator. Edited 3 times in total.)

(07-01-2022, 02:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-26-2022, 09:32 PM)Predator Wrote: No one is talking about red zone opportunities, that is something applicable to a QB's TD numbers not a RB. It's a pretty ignorant argument to try to apply that to a RB. It's like saying you are holding a QB scoring numbers back because coach is more likely to run the ball from inside the 5 yard line.

Short yardage scoring situations apply to a RB and Fred was pulled only occasionally in short yardage scoring situations outside of 2002. Not uncommon practice throughout the league that other RB's get the opportunity in a short yardage scoring situation especially after your main RB gets no gain or takes a loss which their are multiple occasions of that happening to Fred. I know this because unlike you, I took the time to research.

The fact is when healthy, Fred by far received the majority of the carries every year and for every coach he played for while in Jax. The fact that he didn't convert all those carries into scores isn't on the coaches.

If you don't like my analysis, feel free to base anything you are saying on something besides pure conjecture and third person hearsay from an unsubstantiated source on what was said behind the scenes.

It's pretty idiotic that you still keep blaming Coughlin under whom Fred had his 4 best scoring seasons and one of those seasons he only played in 10 games with 9 starts. This just shows how little knowledge you actually have on the situation.

Until you take the time to do some actual research, I am the only producing any tangible facts and those facts aren't supporting your conjecture.

OK 

I had 15 minutes to look this up for you. Lots to unpack here.

1. Red Zone opportunities are very relevant here. (red zone touches/attempts are really moreso what I'm referring to)
Backs with more touches in the RZ produce more TDs.  Robbing a back of those opportunities keeps their TD numbers mitigated and leads to fans cobbling together ill informed opinions about the back's goal line prowess.  For example, your own.

2. I've already noted the correction about the degree of Coughlin's involvement but I'll make it clear for you momentarily how it was indeed Tom Coughlin who began this "narrative" among fans and players that Taylor shouldn't be denied RZ touches.

3. This is important to understand:
From 1998-2007 (Fred's prime)  there were only three seasons that Fred Taylor received the clear lion's share of red zone touches among the running backs on the roster.
Those seasons were 1998, 2000 and  2003

1n 1998 Fred had 45 touches in the red zone and that produced 11 RZ rushing TDS and 2 RZ receiving TDs.  (13 of his 14 TDs that season came from these RZ touches)
In 2000 Fred had 55 RZ touches. Those touches produced 9 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs. (11 of his 12 TDs that season.
You will notice that 1999 was skipped. There is good reason. 1999 was the year that Coughlin took away Fred's RZ touches and without question began the "narrative" that I have merely recalled here. Again - I'm not sure why you don't recall it as it was a popular debate at the time among fans and local media.
Coughlin gave Fred 29 RZ touches that year and gave 61 RZ touches to the other backs, primarily James Stewart. Fred only produced 6 TDs that season as a result.

4. This should be at least beginning to illustrate to you why red zone attempts/touches are important for analyzing Fred's career statistics - and it should be beginning to paint a picture of a negative trend that I will elaborate on further, statistically.

Here are the RZ rush attempts for Taylor and his RB teammates from 2002-2007 (2001 was an injury year) :

2002:
Fred - 35 attempts  ,  Stacey Mack 28 attempts,  QBs 9 att
2003:
Fred - 52 attempts , others 23 attempts,  I won't bother with QB att each year - it ranges from 7-16 att every year
2004:
Fred - 29 att , other RBs 29 att
2005:
Fred - 26  - other RBs 38
2006: 
Fred - 32 - other RBs  - 39
2007: 
Fred - 20 att - other RBs - 68

5. In the 3 seasons that Fred Taylor was trusted with the work load in the RZ, he averaged 10.6 TD per season. And most of them came from RZ opportunities. 
He'd have over 90 TDs on his career by extrapolating that to his healthy seasons.  (instead of 66) 
A common HOF RB that Fred is oft-compared to, Curtis Martin, has exactly 90 career TDs. 

6. Curtis Martin, by comparison, in his prime with the NYJ, had these greatly increased opportunities in the redzone:

1998:  66 att - other backs 15 att
1999: 52 att - other backs - 5 att
2000: 47 att - other backs - 10 att
2001: 51 att, other backs -  7 att
2002: 40 att, other backs 21
2003: 31 att, other backs 14
2004: 49 att, other backs 16

How did Coughlin start taking plays away from him in 1999? Fred was only active 10 games. 2 of those he was sidelined with injury before the 1st qtr even ended, in another he managed to get as far as to get 1 rush in the 2nd before he was done, and in another Fred was coming off a 3 week inactive streak and was the back up in that game and didn't see action until the 4th qtr. Fred never had more than 3 consecutive starts before being inactive that year. There was no debate about his touches. He was busy reinforcing the nickname "Fragile Freddie" on the sidelines.

In 2004 Fred was inactive 2 games and only got 2 carries before being injured in another. 6 of the other RB carries came on a single scoring drive.  If you take away the anomaly of that single scoring drive, Fred was at about twice the red zone touches of all the rest of the RBs combined when healthy. 

In 2005 Fred was inactive 6 games, injured and pulled in the 2nd qtr in one game then injured and pulled early in the 3rd in another.

The truth of the matter is that outside 2002 up until the arrival of MJD, Fred Taylor got the vast majority of red zone touches when he was healthy

You act like it was someone else's fault that other RB's got red zone touches. Fred couldn't stay on the field.

It's really funny that you use Curtis Martin as a comparison. You are comparing one of the most durable RB's in NFL history to one who's career was plagued by injuries.

You are demonstrating what being a healthy reliable RB does for your opportunities.

Outside of 2002, the only person who ever held Fred back was Fred.

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

(06-26-2022, 09:32 PM)Predator Wrote: No one is talking about red zone opportunities, that is something applicable to a QB's TD numbers not a RB. It's a pretty ignorant argument to try to apply that to a RB. It's like saying you are holding a QB scoring numbers back because coach is more likely to run the ball from inside the 5 yard line.

Short yardage scoring situations apply to a RB and Fred was pulled only occasionally in short yardage scoring situations outside of 2002. Not uncommon practice throughout the league that other RB's get the opportunity in a short yardage scoring situation especially after your main RB gets no gain or takes a loss which their are multiple occasions of that happening to Fred. I know this because unlike you, I took the time to research.

The fact is when healthy, Fred by far received the majority of the carries every year and for every coach he played for while in Jax. The fact that he didn't convert all those carries into scores isn't on the coaches.

If you don't like my analysis, feel free to base anything you are saying on something besides pure conjecture and third person hearsay from an unsubstantiated source on what was said behind the scenes.

It's pretty idiotic that you still keep blaming Coughlin under whom Fred had his 4 best scoring seasons and one of those seasons he only played in 10 games with 9 starts. This just shows how little knowledge you actually have on the situation.

Until you take the time to do some actual research, I am the only producing any tangible facts and those facts aren't supporting your conjecture.

OK 

1. Red Zone opportunities are very relevant here. (red zone touches/attempts are really moreso what I'm referring to)
Backs with more touches in the RZ produce more TDs.  Robbing a back of those opportunities keeps their TD numbers mitigated and leads to fans cobbling together ill informed opinions about the back's goal line prowess.  For example, your own.

2. I've already noted the correction about the degree of Coughlin's involvement but I'll make it clear for you momentarily how it was indeed Tom Coughlin who began this "narrative" among fans and players that Taylor shouldn't be denied RZ touches.

From 1998-2007 (Fred's prime)  there were only three seasons that Fred Taylor received the clear lion's share of red zone touches among the running backs on the roster.

1n 1998 Fred had 45 touches in the red zone and that produced 11 RZ rushing TDS and 2 RZ receiving TDs.  (13 of his 14 TDs that season came from these RZ touches)
In 2000 Fred had 55 RZ touches. Those touches produced 9 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs. (11 of his 12 TDs that season.
You will notice that 1999 was skipped. There is good reason. 1999 was the year that Coughlin took away Fred's RZ touches and without question began the "narrative" that I have merely recalled here. Again - I'm not sure why you don't recall it as it was a popular debate at the time among fans and local media.
Coughlin gave Fred 29 RZ touches that year and gave 61 RZ touches to the other backs, primarily James Stewart. Fred only produced 6 TDs that season as a result.

4. This should be at least beginning to illustrate to you why red zone attempts/touches are important for analyzing Fred's career statistics - and it should be beginning to paint a picture of a negative trend that I will elaborate on further, statistically.

Here are the RZ rush attempts for Taylor and his RB teammates from 2002-2007 (2001 was an injury year) :

2002:
2003:
Fred - 52 attempts , others 23 attempts,  I won't bother with QB att each year - it ranges from 7-16 att every year
2004:
2005:
2006: 
2007: 

5. In the 3 seasons that Fred Taylor was trusted with the work load in the RZ, he averaged 10.6 TD per season. And most of them came from RZ opportunities. 
He'd have over 90 TDs on his career by extrapolating that to his healthy seasons.  (instead of 66) 
A common HOF RB that Fred is oft-compared to, Curtis Martin, has exactly 90 career TDs. 

6. Curtis Martin, by comparison, in his prime with the NYJ, had these greatly increased opportunities in the redzone:

Martin definitely got more red zone opportunies.  I'm just doing the math in my head, but it looks like Martin produced about one TD for every 4 red zone touches.  While Fred produced about one for every 5. That's not a big enough difference to keep Fred out of the HoF, but it does explain why multiple coaches had Fred sharing red zone touches.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-02-2022, 09:10 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 02:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: OK 

2002:
2003:
2004:
2005:
2006: 
2007: 

Martin definitely got more red zone opportunies.  I'm just doing the math in my head, but it looks like Martin produced about one TD for every 4 red zone touches.  While Fred produced about one for every 5. That's not a big enough difference to keep Fred out of the HoF, but it does explain why multiple coaches had Fred sharing red zone touches.

It's fair to say that Fred may not have been as efficient in the red zone as some other HOF backs in one of his seasons with a good share of RZ carries. 
What is even "more fair" to say based on the data is that he was denied touches in the red zone when compared to many HOF backs and because of that we won't ever have a clear picture of what he may have done with those opportunities. 

The speculation that he was denied this opportunity because he was inefficient there is refuted by his average of 10.6 TDs over the 3 seasons coaches did give him most of the red zone carries. He got the job done when given the chance, except for that one season.

Del Rio must have looked at 2003 and seen a lack of efficiency in the red zone (6 TDs on 52 touches)  and never considered 1998 or 2000 when Fred was an absolute beast in the red zone. He went forward keeping Fred's touches down from 2004 onward and that's a real shame for Fred's legacy numbers.

Of course once MJD arrived, any chance Fred had of using his last few years to get his TD numbers up was squashed. 
It just made way too much sense to give carries to this young "bowling ball of butcher knives" at the goal line. 

JDR tried giving Fred RZ touches in 2003 and he wasn't as efficient as he was in the '98 or '00 seasons prior when he had similar opportunity. 
That one season of inefficiency likely sealed Fred's fate in terms of HOF TD statistics since he never again regained the opportunity to score inside the 20 most primary RBs of the era received.

(07-02-2022, 08:41 AM)Predator Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 02:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: OK 

2002:
2003:
2004:
2005:
2006: 
2007: 

How did Coughlin start taking plays away from him in 1999? Fred was only active 10 games. 2 of those he was sidelined with injury before the 1st qtr even ended, in another he managed to get as far as to get 1 rush in the 2nd before he was done, and in another Fred was coming off a 3 week inactive streak and was the back up in that game and didn't see action until the 4th qtr. Fred never had more than 3 consecutive starts before being inactive that year. There was no debate about his touches. He was busy reinforcing the nickname "Fragile Freddie" on the sidelines.

In 2004 Fred was inactive 2 games and only got 2 carries before being injured in another. 6 of the other RB carries came on a single scoring drive.  If you take away the anomaly of that single scoring drive, Fred was at about twice the red zone touches of all the rest of the RBs combined when healthy. 

In 2005 Fred was inactive 6 games, injured and pulled in the 2nd qtr in one game then injured and pulled early in the 3rd in another.

The truth of the matter is that outside 2002 up until the arrival of MJD, Fred Taylor got the vast majority of red zone touches when he was healthy

You act like it was someone else's fault that other RB's got red zone touches. Fred couldn't stay on the field.

It's really funny that you use Curtis Martin as a comparison. You are comparing one of the most durable RB's in NFL history to one who's career was plagued by injuries.

You are demonstrating what being a healthy reliable RB does for your opportunities.

Outside of 2002, the only person who ever held Fred back was Fred.

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

Meh.

In 1999 - the lack of game action certainly affected the RZ carries. Takes some of the "blame" off Coughlin. I've already addressed that repeatedly anyway. He got the carries back in 2000 and delivered. You clearly and repeatedly stated he never delivered in RZ play - while the 1998 and 2000 seasons fly in the face of your repeated assertions of his goal line inabilities. 

Your 2004 recollection is meaningless.He had 260 carries that season. 
In 2005 he missed time but 2004-2007 all still serve to clearly demonstrate how his RZ attempts were limited and given to other backs. 

2003 is literally the only season in which Fred was given the lion's share of RZ attempts and didn't produce. 
He produced in 1998 with the RZ attempts.
He produced in 2000 with the RZ attempts.
2001 - injury year
2002 - split attempts with Mack - produced 5 RZ TDs and nearly doubled the yards per carry in the RZ that Mack had
2003 - He didn't produce as efficiently in 2003 with the RZ attempts and then he never saw them again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-27-2022, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 06:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Look at the stats, then look at the film. 

12,000 yards, 4.6 yards per carry. 
The film is spectacular. 

That guy should be in the Hall of Fame.

"Halls of Fame are not defined by who gets in, but who doesn't" I dunno if Vic was quoting someone else on that line, but it always spoke to me.

I totally get that and have said that since Mark Brunell got into the Pride of the Jaguars. You can't just put good players in there but on the other hand, Freddie T isn't just a good player. He's an elite of the elites even though timing and the market he played in prevented him from getting all the pro-bowls he deserved.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Fred may have may a shot to get into the Hall of Fame but I think it will be in a number years. As the RB position continues to change and be devalued combined with teams opting for a rotation, Fred's career values will stand out more. That probably would require someone to constantly remind the national media that he should be in the back of their mind though.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022, 11:07 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

OK 

2002:
2003:
2004:
2005:
2006: 
2007: 

Very nice work. 

It knew Fred was robbed of redzone carries. But seriously, nice work bro.

In the back of my mind, I’ve always compared Fred to Martin. They both wore 28 so well. I’ve always told myself that Fred should have been just behind him in yards and TDs.

If anyone wants to, go to any back ahead of Taylor and take away 55 games and see where they end up. Take any 55 games you want. He will get in but it’s going to be a long time.