Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's talk about- Sport Edition

(02-03-2023, 12:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 12:13 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: You mean restrictor plates? Or something else I have no idea about haha

That was one of the first steps. They literally have a giant template that is laid over each car to ensure it matches an approved aerodynamic profile.

Yeah, didn't know all that. I guess they thought that would level the playing field?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-03-2023, 11:47 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: A good friend of mine who was born and raised in Florida is a huge hockey fan. He tries all the time to get me to watch a game but I tell him it’s only soccer on ice. He says the same thing about understanding it. He also says watching a game live would really make me appreciate it. I feel I really should give it a chance.

They told me the same thing about NASCAR.. We ended up going to a couple of Daytona races and one up in Charlotte..

Still can't watch it on TV.

Fair enough but do think need to go to at least one hockey game live.

As far as NASCAR, nope never been for me either. Not really into racing in general, but if I do for some reason, IndyCar or Formula 1 are the only ones I watch.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(02-03-2023, 11:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 11:05 AM)Butters Wrote: Hockey is fantastic, just have to take the time to really understand the nuances of it and how everything comes together. Used to be a Carolina Hurricanes season ticket holder; not anymore, but still get to as many games as I can and am very much looking forward to the Stadium Series game coming up(Will be playing the Caps outside,where NC State plays football).

Boxing is awesome also.

A good friend of mine who was born and raised in Florida is a huge hockey fan. He tries all the time to get me to watch a game but I tell him it’s only soccer on ice. He says the same thing about understanding it. He also says watching a game live would really make me appreciate it. I feel I really should give it a chance.

Dude, you really should go to a hockey game. It's definitely not soccer on ice. That's insulting. Lol.

It's the fastest popular indoor sport, so sometimes it's hard to follow, but it's great to watch live. Closer to the ice that you are, the better.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2023, 07:32 PM by RicoTx. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-06-2023, 01:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: It's the fastest popular indoor sport, so sometimes it's hard to follow, but it's great to watch live.  Closer to the ice that you are, the better.

I always preferred as close to the ice but upper level. I think it gives a better perspective of watching plays develop.  It’s all personal preference.  Hockey is definitely my favorite sport to see in person.  I still have to go see a Dallas Stars game.  I’ve seen a ton of Flyers games and several Lightning games.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 06:48 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I play a lot of golf, and like most hackers, I lose a lot of golf balls.  So of course I make a point of using a relatively cheap golf ball, the Kirkland, which they sell at Costco for close to $1 a ball.  I think last time I bought them they were $28 for 2 dozen, although it seems like inflation has hit them and they are priced a bit higher now, but still, a cheap golf ball.  

Yesterday I was playing golf with some friends, and while I was helping one of the guys find his ball in the woods, I found a brand new Titleist ProV1.  This is a rather expensive golf ball, which a lot of really good golfers like.  I think they sell for between $4 and $5 each.  So I decided to play it for a few holes to see what the hype is all about.  And I was not impressed at all.  I actually like the $1 Kirkland balls a lot better. 

Any golfers on here play the Titleist ProV1?  And if so, why do you like it?

(02-08-2023, 06:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I play a lot of golf, and like most hackers, I lose a lot of golf balls.  So of course I make a point of using a relatively cheap golf ball, the Kirkland, which they sell at Costco for close to $1 a ball.  I think last time I bought them they were $28 for 2 dozen, although it seems like inflation has hit them and they are priced a bit higher now, but still, a cheap golf ball.  

Yesterday I was playing golf with some friends, and while I was helping one of the guys find his ball in the woods, I found a brand new Titleist ProV1.  This is a rather expensive golf ball, which a lot of really good golfers like.  I think they sell for between $4 and $5 each.  So I decided to play it for a few holes to see what the hype is all about.  And I was not impressed at all.  I actually like the $1 Kirkland balls a lot better. 

I play the Kirklands too and it’s a very good golf ball for the price. However, I can tell the difference with more expensive balls. I’m also a big fan of Wilson Staff Duo Softs. I keep a few bright red ones in my bag for when the light levels are low.

It’s possible you found a Titleist reload, which are reconditioned balls. I’ve found a few of those and they’re hard as a Top Flite because they’re usually fished out of a water hazard somewhere before reconditioning.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 09:56 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-08-2023, 09:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 06:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I play a lot of golf, and like most hackers, I lose a lot of golf balls.  So of course I make a point of using a relatively cheap golf ball, the Kirkland, which they sell at Costco for close to $1 a ball.  I think last time I bought them they were $28 for 2 dozen, although it seems like inflation has hit them and they are priced a bit higher now, but still, a cheap golf ball.  

I play the Kirklands too and it’s a very good golf ball for the price. However, I can tell the difference with more expensive balls. I’m also a big fan of Wilson Staff Duo Softs. I keep a few bright red ones in my bag for when the light levels are low.

It’s possible you found a Titleist reload, which are reconditioned balls. I’ve found a few of those and they’re hard as a Top Flite because they’re usually fished out of a water hazard somewhere before reconditioning.

AHA!  Silly me.  I just went and took another look at it, and in the tiniest letters on the side it says, "REFINISHED."  So, I guess it wasn't a fair appraisal of the ProV1.

(02-08-2023, 09:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I play whatever I find at the course.  I have a couple. This is one bin.
[Image: 05-E84-FBB-5863-46-C8-B6-E2-F58-EB6-D45723.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 10:14 AM by homebiscuit.)

(02-08-2023, 09:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I play the Kirklands too and it’s a very good golf ball for the price. However, I can tell the difference with more expensive balls. I’m also a big fan of Wilson Staff Duo Softs. I keep a few bright red ones in my bag for when the light levels are low.

AHA!  Silly me.  I just went and took another look at it, and in the tiniest letters on the side it says, "REFINISHED."  So, I guess it wasn't a fair appraisal of the ProV1.

They do a good job of minimizing that. Most of the time I can tell by digging a thumbnail into it, or seeing the paint peel off. I’ll keep them for shots when I think there’s a good chance the ball is going to disappear.

(02-08-2023, 09:55 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I play the Kirklands too and it’s a very good golf ball for the price. However, I can tell the difference with more expensive balls. I’m also a big fan of Wilson Staff Duo Softs. I keep a few bright red ones in my bag for when the light levels are low.

I play whatever I find at the course.  I have a couple. This is one bin.

That’s the way to do it. I keep telling myself I need to get a ball retriever. 

My son hits up garage sales in neighborhoods around golf courses. He’ll buy buckets of them for a few dollars from people who find them in their yards.

The Kirkland ball started out as a knock off of the ProV1. 
While the Kirklands have evolved a bit - the designs are still quite similar. 

I have played both. 

The urethane cover is what attracts me because I like the way they behave on the green and I like the ball speed off the face when you hit it well. 

Difference between the two balls would probably take a consistently better golfer than me to really analyze, but they both sort of do the same things well, the ProV1 ostensibly just does them a little bit better. 

Just not better enough to matter to a guy trying to break 90.

(02-08-2023, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: AHA!  Silly me.  I just went and took another look at it, and in the tiniest letters on the side it says, "REFINISHED."  So, I guess it wasn't a fair appraisal of the ProV1.

They do a good job of minimizing that. Most of the time I can tell by digging a thumbnail into it, or seeing the paint peel off. I’ll keep them for shots when I think there’s a good chance the ball is going to disappear.

(02-08-2023, 09:55 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I play whatever I find at the course.  I have a couple. This is one bin.

My son hits up garage sales in neighborhoods around golf courses. He’ll buy buckets of them for a few dollars from people who find them in their yards.

I’ve only been working at the course since April and probably have close to 1000.  One of the guys at the course that’s been there for 5+ years says he has close to 7500.  I believe it with the stash I have over only nine months.  I’m going to have to unload some in a garage sale.

(02-08-2023, 11:06 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They do a good job of minimizing that. Most of the time I can tell by digging a thumbnail into it, or seeing the paint peel off. I’ll keep them for shots when I think there’s a good chance the ball is going to disappear.

I’ve only been working at the course since April and probably have close to 1000.  One of the guys at the course that’s been there for 5+ years says he has close to 7500.  I believe it with the stash I have over only nine months.  I’m going to have to unload some in a garage sale.

You should sort them out and keep the really good ones.  You probably have dozens of brand new premium golf balls in there.

(02-08-2023, 11:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 11:06 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I’ve only been working at the course since April and probably have close to 1000.  One of the guys at the course that’s been there for 5+ years says he has close to 7500.  I believe it with the stash I have over only nine months.  I’m going to have to unload some in a garage sale.

You should sort them out and keep the really good ones.  You probably have dozens of brand new premium golf balls in there.

Hyde Park used to have a bucket full of used golf balls next to the cash register which sold for a dollar each. There were some pearl Titleist, among other premium brands, in there.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 11:51 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-08-2023, 11:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 11:06 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I’ve only been working at the course since April and probably have close to 1000.  One of the guys at the course that’s been there for 5+ years says he has close to 7500.  I believe it with the stash I have over only nine months.  I’m going to have to unload some in a garage sale.

I already have them somewhat sorted.  That’s the ‘good bin’.  I have a ‘scuffed bin’.  Before we have the garage sale I’ll pull a couple of hundred of the best ones for personal use.  Titleist is far and away the brand that I find most.  Second and third is a tossup between Callaway and Taylormade.  I’m starting to fine more and more of these Vice balls.  I read online they’re supposed to be pretty good balls.  Honestly, as little distance as I have anymore I’m fine playing pretty much any ball as long as it’s in good shape.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 04:35 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-08-2023, 11:50 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 11:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You should sort them out and keep the really good ones.  You probably have dozens of brand new premium golf balls in there.

I already have them somewhat sorted.  That’s the ‘good bin’.  I have a ‘scuffed bin’.  Before we have the garage sale I’ll pull a couple of hundred of the best ones for personal use.  Titleist is far and away the brand that I find most.  Second and third is a tossup between Callaway and Taylormade.  I’m starting to fine more and more of these Vice balls.  I read online they’re supposed to be pretty good balls.  Honestly, as little distance as I have anymore I’m fine playing pretty much any ball as long as it’s in good shape.

Vice golf balls aren’t bad. They’re one of those discount ‘premium’ balls you see advertised around. 

According to an article I read somewhere, they use expired patents from name brand premium ball manufacturers. So those Vice balls, and others, are what Titleist, Callaway, etc. were making 5-10 years ago.

We golfers know this is true. All of it.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoILEiYgx..._copy_link

Playing in a two man scramble in a couple of hours at my course.  Never played in a two man…always four.  I’m thinking I’m just playing for fun and the buffet and beer afterwards since my partner is no better than me.  I’m hoping we can get low 80s which will probably win nothing.  At least there’ll be the proximity prizes.

(02-11-2023, 01:24 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Playing in a two man scramble in a couple of hours at my course.  Never played in a two man…always four.  I’m thinking I’m just playing for fun and the buffet and beer afterwards since my partner is no better than me.  I’m hoping we can get low 80s which will probably win nothing.  At least there’ll be the proximity prizes.

I play nothing but scrambles any more.  Not in tournaments or anything.  Just a fun round of golf with friends.  Usually a 4-man scramble.  It's a lot of fun, it speeds up play, and the really crappy members of our group don't have to hack their ball out of the woods constantly.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2023, 10:31 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

So I exceeded my expectations for our twosome on Saturday.  We shot 77 and finished middle of the pack. Much to my surprise, it only took even par to win it.  I blew up after the 10th hole and couldn’t hit a ball straight for the life of me after that.  Fortunately I putted my [BLEEP] off and saved us on a few holes.  The main problem…it was a 5 1/2 round.  Ugh.