Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Acceptable sack number for Travon Walker assuming he starts most of the year?

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 06:39 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

Sacks should be the focus plain and simple. Yes pressures can be a good thing but in many cases it is not. IN every case a sack is a good thing. A sack can be a fantastic thing when the defender learns to strip the QB.

If a player is drafted 1st overall there are high expectations. Regardless, if he isn't putting up sacks the league and most other fans with see him as a bust. I never hear any player on any team getting credit for how many pressures they get. I never hear an announcer or analyst say "He only gets a couple of sacks a year but boy he is putting up double digit pressures." The whole argument is ridiculous. You ask any coach, any player, they will take a sack over a pressure any day of the week.

It's like saying you would rather have a cb knock a pass down instead of picking it off. Yes knocking a pass down is effective but an int is a big factor any time.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-04-2022, 06:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Sacks should be the focus plain and simple.  Yes pressures can be a good thing but in many cases it is not.  IN every case a sack is a good thing.  A sack can be a fantastic thing when the defender learns to strip the QB.

If a player is drafted 1st overall there are high expectations.  Regardless, if he isn't putting up sacks the league and most other fans with see him as a bust.  I never hear any player on any team getting credit for how many pressures they get.  I never hear an announcer or analyst say "He only gets a couple of sacks a year but boy he is putting up double digit pressures."  The whole argument is ridiculous.  You ask any coach, any player, they will take a sack over a pressure any day of the week.

It's like saying you would rather have a cb knock a pass down instead of picking it off.  Yes knocking a pass down is effective but an int is a big factor any time.

You would take the sack but not all sacks are equal either. A few years ago a Bears player ,can't remember who, got a sack and tore his knee celebrating it when the game was lost. Or on a scramble you can chase the QB down for a 1 yard loss. Whereas statistics show if you get consistent pressure you will make an impact. However I'm more interested in how Travon looks and his overall play especially if he improves as the year goes on rather than pure sack totals.

I saw exactly what I wanted to see from Travon. The fact that he's as raw as he is and was able to not only get a pressure on his first play, but a sack not long after is remarkable stuff.. just think how it'll look when he's 100% comfortable with what he's doing.

He was the right pick.

As I said in this thread, he's ready physically which gives him an advantage over many pass rushing high draft picks. He's strong enough to engage LTs now and win. Most rookie phenom are good and get decent numbers because they're fast but few have the strength or physicality.

Most young DEs get swallowed by LTs because they don't have the strength. Travon showed last night that's not a problem for him. Chaisson is struggling because he gets swallowed up. That short film we had on Hutchinson in camp, he got swallowed up by the RT. Spin move and all.

I said 7-10 sacks this season, and after last night I'll take the over. Plus he's going get bigger, he may be built in the model of Teggie White. Not saying he'll be as successful, but I think his play may be similar.

I judge players by the effort that they give on the field. This young man seems to give total effort on the gridiron.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

It's been such a long time since I've felt like the Jags were getting player development right. It would be so tempting to use Walker the way UGA did, as a jack of all trades, right away. But instead they're showing a commitment to bring his skill as an outside the tackle, blind side pass rusher up to an elite level first.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-05-2022, 06:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's been such a long time since I've felt like the Jags were getting player development right.  It would be so tempting to use Walker the way UGA did, as a jack of all trades, right away.  But instead they're showing a commitment to bring his skill as an outside the tackle, blind side pass rusher up to an elite level first.

You may not have to wait long to see him used creatively.

They already began moving him inside at TC practices last week. 

I take it as a good indication that he's acclimated quickly to the EDGE coaching and install. 

His play last night seems to support that theory more than not.

(08-05-2022, 01:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/bigdavis813/status/1...LLK9ndjE0g

Agreed completely.

That enabled him to get that sack last night.

That's a good move for him to learn/start with given his supposed weakness in rushing the passer.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

https://twitter.com/georgefoster72/statu...kq6oNu2lSQ

Julius Peppers?! I’ll gladly take that and run.

We all need to remember he will only be 21 this year. How many pass rushers come into the league and kill it at 21?

(08-05-2022, 08:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/georgefoster72/statu...kq6oNu2lSQ

Abso-freaking-lutely!

If he's anywhere close to that for the Jaguars, lots of Jaguars fans-including myself-will owe Baalke an apology.

(08-05-2022, 08:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 08:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/georgefoster72/statu...kq6oNu2lSQ

Abso-freaking-lutely!

If he's anywhere close to that for the Jaguars, lots of Jaguars fans-including myself-will owe Baalke an apology.
If we could let Baalke draft the DLine and Dave Caldwell draft the WRs, we should be good lol

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2022, 09:35 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-05-2022, 08:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 08:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Abso-freaking-lutely!

If we could let Baalke draft the DLine and Dave Caldwell draft the WRs, we should be good lol

Dave got A Rob and Chark in his 7 years.  I think we can do better than that

Meh, looks promising but it is only the preseason.

I wanna see it in real games and be consistent all season.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Looked the goods

Hell, if he has even half of the career that Peppers had then that's a big win.

(07-29-2022, 11:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I am aiming high for him and Josh Allen this year. I told 1010XL yesterday I want to see Allen hit 14.5. Which would tie the franchise mark and I said I would be happy if Walker hit 9.5 sacks as a rookie this year. Devin Lloyd getting 7.5 as well. I know that's 30 sacks between three players but I fully expect the defense to be the bread winner this year and shutting down the ground game. Couple that in with a division where they rely heavily on the ground game and you've got QB's like Matt Ryan twice a year to feast on?

I think it's possible. Especially if this offense sneaks up on teams early and gets a jump up on the scoreboard. We have a Superbowl winning coach, a competent roster on paper for now, a really good looking draft class now from last year and so far this year it appears promising. Expectations need to be high. [BLEEP] all of this shooting for just below average or average. I expect this team to make some waves this year and I expect them to start making serious runs and holding real contention in this AFC South for the next decade.

Bad teams can get really, really good really, really fast with the right coaching staff and some lucky breaks here and there. I don't see why Jacksonville can't fall into this same trend and category in 2022.

Still aiming high on my end. I know it was early but Walker got off to a great start. Key was also looking pretty good. I think once you see Lloyd, Oluokun, Fatukasi & Cisco out there in the line-up with guys like Walker, Allen & Key? It's very possible they hit these marks above. We'll see how the first string offense looks this Friday coming up. Hopefully they also get off to a fast start and hit pay dirt early. I don't expect anything gaudy but I would like to see an even distribution in the passing game where we nickel and dime it into the endzone.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 08:26 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-05-2022, 08:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 08:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: If we could let Baalke draft the DLine and Dave Caldwell draft the WRs, we should be good lol

Dave got A Rob and Chark in his 7 years.  I think we can do better than that

If you buy the assumption that WRs are a dime a dozen, in theory we SHOULD be able to do better than that.

But consider:

1.  Caldwell also managed to get Hurns as an UDFA.  Hurns was better than any of the guys below looking at their overall careers and skill sets.

2.  In the 21 non Caldwell yerars of this franchise's history, we bever drafted ANY Pro bowl WRs.  We lucked out and got Jimmy Smith as a street free agent.  We got Keenan McCardell as a FA from Cleveland after that franchise imploded.  Outside of Caldwell, this franchise has not demonstrated ANY ability whatsoever to draft anything close to a stud WR.  The closest we've come was Justin Blackmon, and we know how spectacularly that backfired.  After him?  Ernest Wilford was the best we've done.  Soward?  Reggie Williams?  Matt Jones?!?  Bzzzt!  Example after example of draft day failure at the position.

3.  Throughout his entire career as a GM, including his SF days, Baalke has not proven able to identify/draft a stud WR.  In fact, he supposedly came from the Parcells/Belichick/Gerge Young tree.  If so, those guys have been unable to draft a good WR dating back to the 1980s.

Given this franchise's history, there is no reason for your confidence we can do better at the position.