Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Acceptable sack number for Travon Walker assuming he starts most of the year?

Myles Garret had 7 sacks in 11 games his rookie season, Nick Bosa had 9 sacks, Joey Bosa had 10.5 in 12 games, Von Miller had 11.5.  Just a few example rookie numbers to compare too. 

So Walker was drafted first overall, has tremendous size, and an athletic freak.  If he starts most of this year I think 8 sacks his rookie year should be the bare minimum to be considered a good rookie season.  Yes I know pressures, QB hits, and all the other Jive factor into the equation but the true great pass rushers finish the QB. Being drafted first overall carries a ton of weight and we need to see that pay off.  What say you?
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm fine if he only gets around 6 but his presence and pressure help others to accrue sacks

I won't be too tough to break down his impact

Can't wait to see him full speed in pads

One more than Hutchinson

Personally I just want to see him use his physical attributes to dominate whomever he lines up against, the numbers don't matter too me as much this year. Let me see him put a tackle on the ground once or twice a game and i'll be content.

6 in year one, 12 in year two. Based on the fact that, while he has incredible physical tools, he's going to need development.

Seeing that Travon will be lined up as a OLB (most likely only pass rushing in blitzing situations), I say he ends up with 5 sacks this season. I think a more important stat in his position will be tackles for loss

https://www.nfl.com/news/travon-walker-a...er-jaguars

32 was the team total last year, 55 total was #1, and 43 total was good for top 10 in the NFL.

A good year by Walker would get that number up over 40 but I expect us to be somewhere around 37.

Edit: Wow, the Falcons had 18 sacks last year. And I thought we weren't very good. While the Ravens, a known defensive team, only had 34 total.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-26-2022, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 32 was the team total last year, 55 total was #1, and 43 total was good for top 10 in the NFL.

A good year by Walker would get that number up over 40 but I expect us to be somewhere around 37.

Edit: Wow, the Falcons had 18 sacks last year. And I thought we weren't very good. While the Ravens, a known defensive team, only had 34 total.

Josh Allen is going to pick up the pace too with the opposing offense theoretically no longer able to focus on him. I could see adding 10 sacks to last years total, especially with a competent coaching staff.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-26-2022, 09:47 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(07-26-2022, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 32 was the team total last year, 55 total was #1, and 43 total was good for top 10 in the NFL.

Josh Allen is going to pick up the pace too with the opposing offense theoretically no longer able to focus on him. I could see adding 10 sacks to last years total, especially with a competent coaching staff.

Exactly, I think Walker's presence is much more than just his individual numbers. Even if he only gets a few sacks that team number should go up because he's out there.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He should have at least 6 since he was #1 overall.

We have to see how he plays though not just the sack number.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

He could be a dominant player in that position without tons of sacks.

Wouldn't QB pressures and tackles for loss be more important than old skool sack totals?

I'd rather see him force turnovers.

"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(07-26-2022, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Edit: Wow, the Falcons had 18 sacks last year. And I thought we weren't very good. While the Ravens, a known defensive team, only had 34 total.

Ozzie Newsome is gone and so are Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Ed Reed.  I don't think the Ravens will ever return close to their defensive glory.   Also, the Steelers GM just retired but left them with TJ Watt to continue their defensive reputation but I think the Ravens as we used to know them are done.  Factor in a potential $45m/year contract to Lamar Jackson and that's less $$ to spend on the rest of the team as well.

(07-26-2022, 09:55 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: He should have at least 6 since he was #1 overall.

We have to see how he plays though not just the sack number.

He'll get maximum 2 sacks. 

Maybe I should start the Walker critique thread?

I will be happy if he is dominant against the run with flashes of pass rushing ability.

If he had 5 or 6 sacks and looks to be a long term piece, that would be ok.

Does he improve over the year? Do we see him use his physical gifts to make key plays when we need a stop? Does he pull enough focus away from other players and help them shine?

If he lucks into 10 sacks cleaning up for a double teamed Allen, I don’t think we should be over the moon.

Whatever. If he plays well enough that opposing teams game plan around him, he’s doing good. Sacks are fun to watch but they’re such a small part of a player’s overall contribution.

Unless he leads the league he’s a bust and they should cut him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(07-26-2022, 12:24 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Myles Garret had 7 sacks in 11 games his rookie season, Nick Bosa had 9 sacks, Joey Bosa had 10.5 in 12 games, Von Miller had 11.5.  Just a few example rookie numbers to compare too. 

So Walker was drafted first overall, has tremendous size, and an athletic freak.  If he starts most of this year I think 8 sacks his rookie year should be the bare minimum to be considered a good rookie season.  Yes I know pressures, QB hits, and all the other Jive factor into the equation but the true great pass rushers finish the QB. Being drafted first overall carries a ton of weight and we need to see that pay off.  What say you?

Honestly would be shocked if he got more than 5. He's not a rusher, nor does he get effective pressure vs college tackles, he's going to struggle to do anything of substance in the pro game in the pass rush dept. Might be pretty good vs the run, though.