Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brittney Griner sentenced to nine years in Russian prison

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 01:02 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/343...-smuggling

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 04:37 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

While this is unfortunate, the fact remains that you can't blatantly enter a foreign country with a substance that is illegal in that country and not expect to be charged. Thier country, thier rules. This was pure hubris on her part, and she's in full apology/repent mode now that she's facing 9 1/2 years. Doubt she'll serve that long, but who knows? She certainly picked the wrong country at the wrong time in history to think that she was above the law.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-04-2022, 04:36 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: While this is unfortunate, the fact remains that you can't blatantly enter a foreign country with a substance that is illegal in that country and not expect to be charged.  Thier country, thier rules. This was pure hubris on her part, and she's in full apology/repent mode now that she's facing 9 1/2 years.  Doubt she'll serve that long, but who knows?  She certainly picked the wrong country at the wrong time in history to think that she was above the law.

Couldn't agree more. I had some employees at work discussing the sentencing, and they were clearly sympathizing with her. I didn't want to hurt morale, so I didn't express my opinion much. You've got to be self-aware enough to not have wax on you while you're entering a country that we're basically at war with.. If the Ukraine ordeal hadn't transpired, would she have been fine? probably. But as for me sympathizing with any NBA or WNBA players.. yeah.. no. Basketball is about as unpatriotic as it gets. I didn't forget the entire China conundrum from a couple of years ago. Don't complain about how bad the States "suck" (which is a comical sentiment btw) and then cry for salvation when you get caught breaking another countries arbitrary laws. Sorry not sorry.

Maybe she'll learn a lesson. Maybe not. Either way life for her will never be the same.

Clearly a political prisoner, but, as NYJ said, their country, their rules.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 06:25 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

I would be crapping my pants anytime I enter a foreign country especially one that's not democratic. You have to be super careful. They might arrest you for sneezing wrong not to mention getting robbed.

Think she'll come back a little more humbled?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(08-07-2022, 07:32 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Think she'll come back a little more humbled?

[Image: Ullz.gif]

(08-07-2022, 07:42 PM)Jags Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 07:32 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Think she'll come back a little more humbled?

[Image: Ullz.gif]
She will come back a war hero or some [BLEEP].

1) Jacksonville is scheduled to remove the Andrew Jackson (downtown) and Jaguar statue at the stadium and replace those with Brittany Griner Brittany Spears statues (2 women that have sacrificed so much for this country)
2) All NFL players will be mandated to wear #42 this season in tribute to Brittany Griner.
3) All players in all sports will take a knee during the national anthems (of their respective countries) and take a hit / vape some hashish prior to each game.
4) Each season ticket will contain a 42% BG Tax to contribute to her Free Brittany Foundation.

Some post traumatic stress is more like it.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2022, 03:03 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

9 year sentence for drug smuggling upheld by Russian court. Now it gets serious. Once you are in those Russian Gualgs, its not easy to get out. Maybe in 2024 we'll elect a real leader (assuming it isnt stolen) and not some basement dwelling shadow head who most likely isn't even aware of this situation who can strongarm her from the Ruskies. Till then, i'd bone up on my Russian, watch my back, and watch out for broom handles.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/brittney-...sia-upheld
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Trump would have whispered sweet nothings into Putin's ear and got her out.

The Russians want Viktor Bout.

(10-25-2022, 03:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The Russians want Viktor Bout.

Not likely, unless our government is comprised of idiots.

It may happen.

We've offered up Megan Rapinoe and Nancy Pelosi in exchange for Brittney but Russia refused the US offer.

(10-27-2022, 12:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

We've offered up Megan Rapinoe and Nancy Pelosi in exchange for Brittney but Russia refused the US offer.

Throw in Paul Pelosi and Sue Bird and maybe there's a deal.

(10-27-2022, 01:48 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 12:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We've offered up Megan Rapinoe and Nancy Pelosi in exchange for Brittney but Russia refused the US offer.

Throw in Paul Pelosi and Sue Bird and maybe there's a deal.

Paul has the hammer.  Is Sue Bird bringing her sickle?

It's notable how people in general don't seem to have much interest in what is happening to Brittany Griner. Probably most people think, if you smuggle drugs into a foreign country, and they catch you, they're gonna put you in jail. Maybe this will be an episode of "Locked Up Abroad." No pun intended.

(11-08-2022, 09:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's notable how people in general don't seem to have much interest in what is happening to Brittany Griner. Probably most people think, if you smuggle drugs into a foreign country, and they catch you, they're gonna put you in jail. Maybe this will be an episode of "Locked Up Abroad." No pun intended.

LOL, but not sure she's a-broad. Most likely she's the Dom.