Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Free Agents

If Gilmore or Peterson are available at CB in 2023 I pursue them and sell them on what we're seeing this year from our offense. We have a shot at a legitimate run this year and for sure next year.

Get a solid, veteran presence at CB on a team friendly, one year deal. That gives you a bit of breathing room in the draft come April. I think you could do the same thing with a guy like Chandler Jones.

I don't see Fletcher Cox leaving Philadelphia. He's won a Superbowl there. Hurts is on a roll and the Eagles honestly look like the team to beat in the NFC and clearly the path to the Superbowl in that conference will run through them. Could see Fletcher signing right back up to stay home in the city of Brotherly Love.

Tomlinson would be a nice addition though. If Dallas continues to implode. Schultz and Pollard would be on my radar to help out offensively.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Circling back to this thread to get a bead on who we keep or let walk from OUR OWN roster. 

Griffin - gone - no question
Engram - Gotta keep this guy around - chemistry with TL is strong - spend the money
Taylor - God only knows - gonna be expensive and Little looks ready to go - prolly have to let him walk
Smoot - Love the guy's ethic - the injury may spell his doom or let us keep on the cheap - not sure
Key - I'd try to keep the guy - could be a numbers game tho
Marvin -  Could go either way - but he'd have to be cheap as hell if he stays - unlikely IMO
Arnold and Manhertz -  Again - would have to be cheap - should be relatively replaceable
Beathard - I think the mentoring is probably done at this point - hard to know his value 
Wingard - vet minimum or let him walk 
Patterson - ERFA - sign him 

Only other names of note are Hasty, Herndon and Gotsis and I doubt they are part of the plan moving forward unless they are dying to stay on the cheap -  
If things go right in the offseason - they won't make cuts anyway. Maybe Hasty.

(12-23-2022, 11:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Circling back to this thread to get a bead on who we keep or let walk from OUR OWN roster. 

Engram - Gotta keep this guy around - chemistry with TL is strong - spend the money
Taylor - God only knows - gonna be expensive and Little looks ready to go - prolly have to let him walk
Smoot - Love the guy's ethic - the injury may spell his doom or let us keep on the cheap - not sure
Marvin -  Could go either way - but he'd have to be cheap as hell if he stays - unlikely IMO
Arnold and Manhertz -  Again - would have to be cheap - should be relatively replaceable
Beathard - I think the mentoring is probably done at this point - hard to know his value 

Only other names of note are Hasty, Herndon and Gotsis and I doubt they are part of the plan moving forward unless they are dying to stay on the cheap -  

I can't disagree with anything here. I think if Hasty is cheap, keep him around until SOMEONE steps up to make him expendable.

(12-23-2022, 11:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Circling back to this thread to get a bead on who we keep or let walk from OUR OWN roster. 

I would like to try to keep everyone but Griffin.  And actually, it shouldn't be that hard, because these contracts can be structured for minimal cap hit the first year.  

I would put an absolute priority on Engram.

I'd probably go a bit more than vet minimum to re-sign Wingard.  In spite of being backup quality as a safety, he's a front-line special teamer and a team leader.  I'd try to keep him around, but he may want to test free-agency if we low-ball him.

Don't really disagree with anything else.  Gotsis didn't even make final cuts this year - he was brought back when the team realized they probably cut too deep on the DL, so I'd be surprised if he is here again next year.
Is Manhertz still one of the best blocking TEs in the league?  Arnold has definitely been over-shadowed by Engram.

Would have liked to see them keep Tufele - he surprised me in 1-1 drill highlights I saw him in...  Was very explosive out of his stance.

Nice summary and can't disagree with any of your thoughts. Griffin seemed like a great guy and team leader, but his play on the field will not be missed. Williams has played well as of late and they will likely draft a cornerback on day 2. Hope we can keep Smoot on the cheap due to injury. I doubt they could have afforded to pay him anyway as he had earned a nice payday. Not a superstar but always played hard and could be counted on to pressure the pocket and get at least 5 sacks every season.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 02:24 PM by TheDuke007. Edited 3 times in total.)

Agree.

Agree.

I think the team passes the baton to Little.

Agree.

Agree.

I think he's very likely gone.  Our starters next year will be Ridley, Kirk and Z. Jones.  Agnew provides return ability and can be used as a fourth receiver.  For 5th and 6th wide receivers, teams generally want someone who can play special teams or if not, a young inexpensive player that might develop in the future.  I wish him well, but I don't think Marvin fits what they'll be looking for.

I think Arnold is likely gone.  He only plays approximately 15% of the offensive snaps, so it's clear the Jaguars don't particularly value him.  I also think he will want to go elsewhere where he might get more playing time.  On the other hand, Manhertz plays approximately 38% of the offensive snaps.  I would think he would be inexpensive, so he may have a decent chance of being brought back.

I think player-to-player mentoring is overrated.  Trevor has a quarterbacks coach, an assistant quarterbacks coach, a passing game coordinator and an offensive coordinator.  He also has a head coach who is a former NFL quarterback, quarterbacks coach, etc.  Trevor has plenty of mentors.

In regard to Beathard, he didn't look very good when he got a chance to play yesterday, but it's a limited sample.  The Jaguars have a tight salary cap situation, and I don't think they will be throwing a bunch of money at a backup quarterback.  This could go either way.  It depends upon how he has looked in practice which I haven't seen.

If the Jaguars cut Jenkins and plan to draft a safety, I could see them making more of a push to keep Wingard as veteran insurance since the draft can be unpredictable.  That said, I don't think they cut Jenkins.  Assuming Jenkins remains, I would still offer slightly more than the vet minimum.  He's a good backup, special teamer and locker room presence.

Agree.

Agree.  If the Jaguars do choose to re-sign them, include little to no guaranteed money in the deal.

Free agency is always hard to predict as there are a lot of variables and different strategies.  I've put my comments above in blue.

Leon Searcy says he thinks it's highly doubtful Jawaan Taylor will be here next year. Why pay the money when Little looks ready to take over.

What happened to Ethan Perry

I'd have him to replace e beathars

Griffin-agreed,

Engram-agreed.

Taylor-Agreed.  Walker Little is good enough to make Taylor expendable, but the part of me that values continuity wants him to stay.  I think he has thrived in Pederson's offens and Rauscher's coaching.

Smoot- Outstanding role player,  Young teams need guys like him.  The achilles make things uncertain, however, people seem to heal/return successfully these days.

Key-wanna keep him too.  Much like Smoot in the analysis.

Marvin-He has made some clutch catches for TL and has been dependable.  But due to age and the Ridley trade, I doubt he returns. 

Arnold/Manherts-Agreed.  I think the team will find a TE in this draft and they will replace one.  My guess is Arnold is replaced.  I think the TE they draft will be more of a receiver, and that fits Arnold's skill set.  Manhertz' skills at blocking won't be replicated by the drafted guy.

Bethard-Haven't given him much thought.  Since we are an ascending and contending team with a young, talented, and now experienced QB, is it time to consider upgrading backup QB in case TL is somehow sidelined for a game or two?

Wingard, has evolved into an important role player.  I would orefer to jeep hum.

Patterson-Aside from the Kansas City game, has been consistent for us this year.  Keep him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2023, 07:09 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Engram
2. Key
3. Wingard
4. Patterson

Those 4 I think we should really try to keep if the money is fair. In that order as well. Griffin is really the only guy I think we should cut so hopefully Baalke can move some contracts around and resturcture a few to make it work. Next year we can cut Cam and move Little to RT or just move Cam to RT next year if hes willing to make the move for the team. Little is best at RT imo and just as good or better than Cam there. Id like to keep Smoot as well depending on the injury but we wont have the money to keep them all.