Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Draft Needs (merged threads)

(12-21-2022, 07:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I personally, think our WR group is loaded next year with Ridley, Kirk, Zay, and Agnew.  It would only help I'd our TE group was a strength with Mayer and Engram.  We will be in a good spot regardless

Assuming Ridley has no drop off from his time off, we should be in good shape at WR (though I'd still like to add Jalin Hyatt or Q. Johnston).  I think there are a few TEs that could help, but I'd prefer to keep Engram to add with any TE we draft.

TL's development- along with the performance of Kirk, Jones and Engram-puts us in a very good position.

We won't have to pursue two of thee riskier position to draft (QB and WR).  We don't have to draft a TE on the first round when it's a position that is often found in the 3rd.

But no matter what positin we go in the first (or later) rounds, I just hope we get the picks right.  As long as we have Trevor Lawrence, the Super bowl is potentially at stake.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-21-2022, 09:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 07:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I personally, think our WR group is loaded next year with Ridley, Kirk, Zay, and Agnew.  It would only help I'd our TE group was a strength with Mayer and Engram.  We will be in a good spot regardless

Assuming Ridley has no drop off from his time off, we should be in good shape at WR (though I'd still like to add Jalin Hyatt or Q. Johnston).  I think there are a few TEs that could help, but I'd prefer to keep Engram to add with any TE we draft.

TL's development- along with the performance of Kirk, Jones and Engram-puts us in a very good position.

We won't have to pursue two of thee riskier position to draft (QB and WR).  We don't have to draft a TE on the first round when it's a position that is often found in the 3rd.

But no matter what positin we go in the first (or later) rounds, I just hope we get the picks right.  As long as we have Trevor Lawrence, the Super bowl is potentially at stake.

Yes, fixing the defense though is a must

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2022, 04:46 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-21-2022, 10:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 09:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Assuming Ridley has no drop off from his time off, we should be in good shape at WR (though I'd still like to add Jalin Hyatt or Q. Johnston).  I think there are a few TEs that could help, but I'd prefer to keep Engram to add with any TE we draft.

Yes, fixing the defense though is a must
If this is a defense heavy draft for us, I would hope we come away with 2-3 CBs, a S, and an edge rusher.  A modern day version of the 1981 49ers draft would be great by me.

I am reminded more and more of the 1980 49ers when I think of the Jaguars.  Possibly on the cusp of greatness after years of dramatic struggle.

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 10:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, fixing the defense though is a must
If this is a defense heavy draft for us, I would hope we come away with 2-3 CBs, a S, and an edge rusher.  A modern day version of the 1981 49ers draft would be great by me.

I am reminded more and more of the 1980 49ers when I think of the Jaguars.  Possibly on the cusp of greatness after years of dramatic struggle.

People forget how bad the 49er's were prior to their dominating teams of the 1980's. The same can be said of the Steelers prior to drafting Bradshaw in 1970. After so many seasons of futility, it's hard to imagine the Jaguars becoming a winning franchise like they were during the days of Brunell, Boselli, Smith, McCardell, Taylor, etc. 

Are Peterson and Lawrence capable of taking the Jaguars to the heights experienced by Montana/Walsh, Bradshaw/Noll and Brady/Belichick? I believe they are, however they will need help from the FO in acquiring talent to surround the q.b. and coach. Bradshaw was great, but look at all the HOF who played on that team. Montana was great, but without Jerry Rice and an excellent defense they would not have had such great success. The jury is still out on young players like Walker, Lloyd, Campbell, Etienne and Cisco. If they can develop into consistently good/great players and Baalke/Peterson have above average drafts moving forward then great things are possible for this franchise. Hopefully your 49er's analogy will be prophetic. I'd even settle for 2 Super Bowl wins during the next decade compared to the 4 rings the 49er's won during their decade of greatness.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2022, 09:15 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-22-2022, 08:16 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If this is a defense heavy draft for us, I would hope we come away with 2-3 CBs, a S, and an edge rusher.  A modern day version of the 1981 49ers draft would be great by me.

People forget how bad the 49er's were prior to their dominating teams of the 1980's. The same can be said of the Steelers prior to drafting Bradshaw in 1970. After so many seasons of futility, it's hard to imagine the Jaguars becoming a winning franchise like they were during the days of Brunell, Boselli, Smith, McCardell, Taylor, etc. 

Are Peterson and Lawrence capable of taking the Jaguars to the heights experienced by Montana/Walsh, Bradshaw/Noll and Brady/Belichick? I believe they are, however they will need help from the FO in acquiring talent to surround the q.b. and coach. Bradshaw was great, but look at all the HOF who played on that team. Montana was great, but without Jerry Rice and an excellent defense they would not have had such great success. The jury is still out on young players like Walker, Lloyd, Campbell, Etienne and Cisco. If they can develop into consistently good/great players and Baalke/Peterson have above average drafts moving forward then great things are possible for this franchise. Hopefully your 49er's analogy will be prophetic. I'd even settle for 2 Super Bowl wins during the next decade compared to the 4 rings the 49er's won during their decade of greatness.
The reason I remember is because I was a Dallas fan before the Jaguars camee around.

In 1980  Dallas beat them 59-14.  Joe Montana was a backup QB on that team, and Dwight Clark was a receiver on that team.  Towards the end of the ga,e in garbage time, Montana threw a TD.

They were driven by revenge the following year when they beat Dallas 45-14 in San Francisco, which was the year they won their first Super Bowl.

In their ascent, they added guys like YE Russ Francis (a great TE formerly with New England), Edge Rusher Fred Dean (formerly of the Chargers) and LB Hacksaw Reynolds (Formerly with the Rams).  Montana was in his 3rd year...under a grey haired offensive coach.
The 49ers also had a noteworthy second half rally at the end of that season.

We next year, TL will be in his 3rd year under a grey haired offensive coach.  We've added our Russ Francis with Engram.  Granted thus far Rngram hasn't been as good as Russ Francis was, but he's a reliable target for us.  Like that team, we need at least one DB, perhaps more, another edge rusher and stability at ILB. We've had two noteworthy rallies at the end of this season.

Based on the injuries along the offensive line and defensive line I am relatively content if this team feels it necessary to draft a top tier player there on either side of the football. Those injuries begin to slowly take it's toll on your football team and can quickly derail any hopes of staying alive in any play off hunt.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-23-2022, 09:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Based on the injuries along the offensive line and defensive line I am relatively content if this team feels it necessary to draft a top tier player there on either side of the football. Those injuries begin to slowly take it's toll on your football team and can quickly derail any hopes of staying alive in any play off hunt.
This ^^^ absolutely this.  The trenches is the basis of winning. once you get your qb of course lol oh and your coach lololol. Hopefully they mover Travon to DE and maybe grab an edge rusher in the draft but guard is a concern for me. i think we have our center, Cam should be back and Walker Little looks nfl caliber now so i think both guard spots are of need due to S.cherff's age Cornerback is a need also so if we get a starting guard, olb and cb in the draft then some more linemen i think we may be set up to win a lot of games. IF Ridley is what we hope he is

(12-23-2022, 10:30 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 09:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Based on the injuries along the offensive line and defensive line I am relatively content if this team feels it necessary to draft a top tier player there on either side of the football. Those injuries begin to slowly take it's toll on your football team and can quickly derail any hopes of staying alive in any play off hunt.
This ^^^ absolutely this.  The trenches is the basis of winning. once you get your qb of course lol oh and your coach lololol. Hopefully they mover Travon to DE and maybe grab an edge rusher in the draft but guard is a concern for me. i think we have our center, Cam should be back and Walker Little looks nfl caliber now so i think both guard spots are of need due to S.cherff's age Cornerback is a need also so if we get a starting guard, olb and cb in the draft then some more linemen i think we may be set up to win a lot of games. IF Ridley is what we hope he is

Realistically I think this team can backfill the nickel CB spot in RD3 or later (Riley Moss from Iowa, Garrett Williams from Syracuse) if Darious Williams continues to shine on the outside opposite of Campbell. I am all for them going offensive line and defensive line early. Hope they tag or resign Engram though. Just one less position to worry about.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Other than like LB and QB, shouldn't the team just draft best 1st and 2nd round players available?

(12-23-2022, 11:20 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Other than like LB and QB, shouldn't the team just draft best 1st and 2nd round players available?

Yes, as long as they are an IOL, TE, CB, or DT.

Big Grin

Honestly, Jags will be drafting much later than expected so I have no clue who or what position to target.

Maybe a player like Kyle Hamilton falls like he did to the Ravens. I think that’s best case. A star player starts to fall for whatever reason and the Jags snag him up

With Trevor ascending the way he has, I think we may be at the point where he'll raise the level of play from all skill players. Sure you'd love to have a guy like Chase, but our current skill players when matched with Trevor are easily good enough to win a super bowl.

I think we should focus on the lines. Yea we've swung and missed on a lot of big guys early in drafts over the last 20 years but need to keep trying. No idea who is projected to go in the middle of the first so I can't give names. Especially if we don't bring back jawaan taylor. offensive line is very thin all of a sudden.

(12-23-2022, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 10:30 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: This ^^^ absolutely this.  The trenches is the basis of winning. once you get your qb of course lol oh and your coach lololol. Hopefully they mover Travon to DE and maybe grab an edge rusher in the draft but guard is a concern for me. i think we have our center, Cam should be back and Walker Little looks nfl caliber now so i think both guard spots are of need due to S.cherff's age Cornerback is a need also so if we get a starting guard, olb and cb in the draft then some more linemen i think we may be set up to win a lot of games. IF Ridley is what we hope he is

Realistically I think this team can backfill the nickel CB spot in RD3 or later (Riley Moss from Iowa, Garrett Williams from Syracuse) if Darious Williams continues to shine on the outside opposite of Campbell. I am all for them going offensive line and defensive line early. Hope they tag or resign Engram though. Just one less position to worry about.

The Jaguars recent streak has caused me to look differently at the 2023 draft as well as off-season salary cap management. The following assumptions about this team and subsequent transactions are:

1. Trevor Lawrence makes all his receivers much better players. While it would be a great luxury to draft someone like Quinten Johnston, this offense has proven an elite number 1 receiver is not a pre-requisite to becoming a playoff team. Pederson showed this with the Eagles and there is no reason to believe he won't continue this with the Jaguars. The Jags obviously need to re-sign Engram and Agnew. Those two added to Kirk and Zay Jones are more than sufficient for Lawrence/Pederson to continue to pick-apart the defenses they face.

2. If the Jaguars do win the AFC South and pick somewhere in the low to mid-20's, which positions of need are likely to provide good value for the team? It looks like there will be very good players at the positions of cornerback and edge rusher. As Caldrac has noted, the improvement of Darious Williams at 2nd corner should enable the team to wait until round 3 for this position. I am in agreement with DTWD4 that Walker's best position is defensive end. People with much more expertise in this area than me like Lageman, Boselli, Prisco, etc. believe that this is the position he would thrive at. Two players I would be very interested in at the Edge are Jared Verse of FSU and B.J. Ojulari from LSU. Both of these players possess the traits necessary to succeed as Edge rushers alongside Josh Allen. 

3. Walker Little should be fine replacing Taylor at right tackle. Taylor has had a solid season and will get a nice deal in free agency from another team. The offensive line should be addressed in the draft during rounds 2 or 3 to provide necessary depth. Adding a guard and tackle would be important as injuries are bound to occur to starters. There are several possibilities in round 2 like Andrew Vorhees of USC and Anton Harrison of Oklahoma. Ideally, they would select someone with the versatility to play tackle or guard.

To sum up:

1. Re-sign Engram, Agnew and keep Jenkins. 

2. Griffin and Chaisson are let go to save money. Taylor is not re-signed to further help team stay under the cap. Robertson-Harris and Smoot may also need to be let go. Depending on Smoot's injury, they should make every effort to re-sign one of these players. Arden Key is also likely to get a better deal elsewhere. 

3. Move Walker to defensive end and draft an Edge with the first pick. Offensive line and cornerback should also be addressed during day 2 of the draft.

4. Keep Trevor Lawrence happy. As long as he's our quarterback, this team will remain perennial playoff contenders!

(12-23-2022, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 10:30 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: This ^^^ absolutely this.  The trenches is the basis of winning. once you get your qb of course lol oh and your coach lololol. Hopefully they mover Travon to DE and maybe grab an edge rusher in the draft but guard is a concern for me. i think we have our center, Cam should be back and Walker Little looks nfl caliber now so i think both guard spots are of need due to S.cherff's age Cornerback is a need also so if we get a starting guard, olb and cb in the draft then some more linemen i think we may be set up to win a lot of games. IF Ridley is what we hope he is

Unfortunately, we've only got a 3 game sample on Williams outside. So, as you mentioned, how he continues to play is huge.

Would be really great for him to finish strong and let us focus on nickel and depth at CB instead of a counterpart to Campbell. 

If that works out, I'm going IDL, IOL, TE, CB3/Nickel  in some combination early in the draft should value present itself accordingly. Hopefully in that order, but the draft rarely cooperates that smoothly. 

The TE pick I list could be altered by free agency. If they strike a deal with Engram, and land a cheap phone booth blocker in FA, that pick could be a number of positions.

(12-24-2022, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Realistically I think this team can backfill the nickel CB spot in RD3 or later (Riley Moss from Iowa, Garrett Williams from Syracuse) if Darious Williams continues to shine on the outside opposite of Campbell. I am all for them going offensive line and defensive line early. Hope they tag or resign Engram though. Just one less position to worry about.

Unfortunately, we've only got a 3 game sample on Williams outside. So, as you mentioned, how he continues to play is huge.

Would be really great for him to finish strong and let us focus on nickel and depth at CB instead of a counterpart to Campbell. 

If that works out, I'm going IDL, IOL, TE, CB3/Nickel  in some combination early in the draft should value present itself accordingly. Hopefully in that order, but the draft rarely cooperates that smoothly. 

The TE pick I list could be altered by free agency. If they strike a deal with Engram, and land a cheap phone booth blocker in FA, that pick could be a number of positions.

This is where I am at. We have two games left. We may or may not be play-off bound and divisional leaders. To Jaglou's point above as well. Yes, Lawrence is elevating his receivers around him at the moment. However, there's going to be a full 17 game season now of film to review going into next year. It's not going to always be easy and some of the stuff they're getting away with now design wise may or may not always be available next year scheme wise.

Ridley, if he comes back as who he was prior to the suspension, which is a HUGE if, then, yeah, we'll probably be okay. This is where I think they have to consider getting Engram resigned. He's got some clear mismatch qualities to him and a unique blend for the position. Was really fun seeing him get the best of Gardner on that motion play on TNF. That's pretty cool stuff. Imagine what you could do there with another guy like that or a counterpart that's gifted enough to work the seams. 

It's possible to find a guy like that in this draft. Doesn't have to be Mayer on the opening night as well. Could be a guy in RD2/RD3. Again, as you said, depends on how FA shakes out. I think one thing that is CLEARLY apparent, regardless of film, is trench warfare. Right? You either got the big sloppy's up front that can create time in the passing game or pave the way and the run game. And vise versa. You have the guys to wreck passing opportunities and running lanes. 

IDL/IOL are at the top of my list moving forward. The skill positions are there. For sure. But, need to beef up and get better on the lines. Lawrence's release is up there with the GOAT. That's pretty impressive. Giving him more time to read and react is absolutely CRITICAL to his future here.

Pass rush is the team's number 1 need. It was non-existent for much of this season and the most consistent pass rusher just suffered what looks like a severe achilles injury. Move Walker to end and draft a pass rusher in round 1 if the value is there. This would likely improve the pass rush from 2 positions.

The offensive line would be the 2nd greatest need. Both tackle and guard need more depth. We have seen over the years what can happen when a starter along the offensive line has gone down. Dues the name Guy Whimper bring back bad memories?

Cornerback would be the 3rd area pf most need. Williams has improved, but adding another nickel will be important.

Fatukasi had a disappointing season, but I expect him to improve. The team should be able to find another "big ugly" for the defensive line to help with run defense. This could be a mid-round draft pick or inexpensive free agent. Some of the best nose tackles were mid to late round draft picks. Davon Hamilton will also be returning.

Tight end is not listed since the team needs to re-sign Engram. Adding another tight end in free agency or the draft should be strongly considered if the value is there. If Luke Musgrave is available in round 2, I'd have to strongly consider him. The combo of Engram/Musgrave would be something Pederson would salivate over. His Uncle Bill Musgrave was the Jaguars offensive coordinator for 2 seasons several years ago,

(12-24-2022, 12:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Unfortunately, we've only got a 3 game sample on Williams outside. So, as you mentioned, how he continues to play is huge.

This is where I am at. We have two games left. We may or may not be play-off bound and divisional leaders. To Jaglou's point above as well. Yes, Lawrence is elevating his receivers around him at the moment. However, there's going to be a full 17 game season now of film to review going into next year. It's not going to always be easy and some of the stuff they're getting away with now design wise may or may not always be available next year scheme wise.

Ridley, if he comes back as who he was prior to the suspension, which is a HUGE if, then, yeah, we'll probably be okay. This is where I think they have to consider getting Engram resigned. He's got some clear mismatch qualities to him and a unique blend for the position. Was really fun seeing him get the best of Gardner on that motion play on TNF. That's pretty cool stuff. Imagine what you could do there with another guy like that or a counterpart that's gifted enough to work the seams. 

It's possible to find a guy like that in this draft. Doesn't have to be Mayer on the opening night as well. Could be a guy in RD2/RD3. Again, as you said, depends on how FA shakes out. I think one thing that is CLEARLY apparent, regardless of film, is trench warfare. Right? You either got the big sloppy's up front that can create time in the passing game or pave the way and the run game. And vise versa. You have the guys to wreck passing opportunities and running lanes. 

IDL/IOL are at the top of my list moving forward. The skill positions are there. For sure. But, need to beef up and get better on the lines. Lawrence's release is up there with the GOAT. That's pretty impressive. Giving him more time to read and react is absolutely CRITICAL to his future here.

I agree but would consider Edge/ OLB over IDL. They way they go however, makes me think IOL should be our first pick. Getting another guard is very important need IMO. I think Scherff, for as long as we can keep him, is our leader on the O-Line and he can bring Fortner and a young guard along nicely. I say let Little have the RT spot. If they all stay healthy with a young nasty beast at LG I believe the line is good to go. That leaves IDL concerns and Edge opposite Josh Allen, assuming he comes back. Hopefully Williams pans out as CB2. So, Edge and Nose along with nickel are the defensive priorities in that order fro me. Guard and depth on offensive line are top needs on offense. 

Man this is fun when we are still playing meaningful games at the end of December. Takes more thought and consideration when one realizes we may very well be picking in the latter part of rounds from now on.

(12-25-2022, 12:01 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 12:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is where I am at. We have two games left. We may or may not be play-off bound and divisional leaders. To Jaglou's point above as well. Yes, Lawrence is elevating his receivers around him at the moment. However, there's going to be a full 17 game season now of film to review going into next year. It's not going to always be easy and some of the stuff they're getting away with now design wise may or may not always be available next year scheme wise.

I agree but would consider Edge/ OLB over IDL. They way they go however, makes me think IOL should be our first pick. Getting another guard is very important need IMO. I think Scherff, for as long as we can keep him, is our leader on the O-Line and he can bring Fortner and a young guard along nicely. I say let Little have the RT spot. If they all stay healthy with a young nasty beast at LG I believe the line is good to go. That leaves IDL concerns and Edge opposite Josh Allen, assuming he comes back. Hopefully Williams pans out as CB2. So, Edge and Nose along with nickel are the defensive priorities in that order fro me. Guard and depth on offensive line are top needs on offense. 

Man this is fun when we are still playing meaningful games at the end of December. Takes more thought and consideration when one realizes we may very well be picking in the latter part of rounds from now on.
O'Cyrus Torrance could be our guy. Other than the bad luck we've had with recent Gators  C.J. Henderson and Taven Bryan, Torrance looks like he could be a winner. Character and work ethic appear great by all accounts. An interior line of Schereff, Fortner and Torrance would be very solid.

(12-25-2022, 02:38 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 12:01 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: I agree but would consider Edge/ OLB over IDL. They way they go however, makes me think IOL should be our first pick. Getting another guard is very important need IMO. I think Scherff, for as long as we can keep him, is our leader on the O-Line and he can bring Fortner and a young guard along nicely. I say let Little have the RT spot. If they all stay healthy with a young nasty beast at LG I believe the line is good to go. That leaves IDL concerns and Edge opposite Josh Allen, assuming he comes back. Hopefully Williams pans out as CB2. So, Edge and Nose along with nickel are the defensive priorities in that order fro me. Guard and depth on offensive line are top needs on offense. 

O'Cyrus Torrance could be our guy. Other than the bad luck we've had with recent Gators  C.J. Henderson and Taven Bryan, Torrance looks like he could be a winner. Character and work ethic appear great by all accounts. An interior line of Schereff, Fortner and Torrance would be very solid.

Interesting prospect! 
At his behemoth size, I wonder if he is a fit for Pederson's run blocking scheme? 
I haven't done the ole deep dive on it yet, but I see LOTS of pulling guards and second level blocking pretty often. 
Would be really cool if Torrance is agile enough to execute that stuff.

(12-25-2022, 02:38 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 12:01 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: I agree but would consider Edge/ OLB over IDL. They way they go however, makes me think IOL should be our first pick. Getting another guard is very important need IMO. I think Scherff, for as long as we can keep him, is our leader on the O-Line and he can bring Fortner and a young guard along nicely. I say let Little have the RT spot. If they all stay healthy with a young nasty beast at LG I believe the line is good to go. That leaves IDL concerns and Edge opposite Josh Allen, assuming he comes back. Hopefully Williams pans out as CB2. So, Edge and Nose along with nickel are the defensive priorities in that order fro me. Guard and depth on offensive line are top needs on offense. 

Looking at where we will likely be drafting now around 20, he would be a great pick and might be my top guy now. 

Went all year without giving up a sack or a QB hit. 

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1...ZRbjJzXgFw