Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

(7 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote:
(9 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote:
I think it’s a given at this point that Trevor walks at the end of this season if the line isn’t improved
, unless, they throw stupid amounts of money at him. Then it becomes a matter of sacrificing his body for the sake of a fat payday. Plus, there’s always the chance Khan sacks Baalke and gets a GM in here who seems to understand that protecting the most valuable asset on the team is priority one.

Really? 

Where do you get that impression? 

It has been widely reported that ownership and front office had a sit down with Trevor early in the off season to talk about what HE wanted to see happen with the team around him and the timing of his contract extension. 

I've seen zero suggestion anywhere (besides speculation) that he's on the verge of walking. 

I also can't get down with the notion of being upset we paid Josh Allen (or Trevor next year) more money after they had a great season. 

Screw that.

I'm [BLEEP] STOKED that Allen played like a man possessed last year and earned a big deal. 
We are not in a dire salary cap position and there will always be ways to manipulate the cap.
Count me out of the crowd upset about paying to retain our best players even if it requires a temporary tag. 
Just draft some young talent and all those money concerns diminish rapidly. 
In a week we'll have a better handle on whether to be optimistic in that regard.

I’m not saying he’s on the verge of walking, but it’s not beyond the bounds of reason to believe that a QB suffering professional insult, and more importantly, injury, would walk away from an organization which seems unresponsive to his needs. 

His dad has upvoted a comment urging Trevor to explore going to LA if the Jags don’t fix this problem. Again, I don’t believe it’s beyond the bounds of reason to think he and Trevor have had this conversation. 

I’m glad Trevor sat down with the team to let them know what he wants. The question is if Baalke responds.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(7 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote:
(7 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote: Really? 

Where do you get that impression? 

It has been widely reported that ownership and front office had a sit down with Trevor early in the off season to talk about what HE wanted to see happen with the team around him and the timing of his contract extension. 

I've seen zero suggestion anywhere (besides speculation) that he's on the verge of walking. 

I also can't get down with the notion of being upset we paid Josh Allen (or Trevor next year) more money after they had a great season. 

Screw that.

I'm [BLEEP] STOKED that Allen played like a man possessed last year and earned a big deal. 
We are not in a dire salary cap position and there will always be ways to manipulate the cap.
Count me out of the crowd upset about paying to retain our best players even if it requires a temporary tag. 
Just draft some young talent and all those money concerns diminish rapidly. 
In a week we'll have a better handle on whether to be optimistic in that regard.

I’m not saying he’s on the verge of walking, but it’s not beyond the bounds of reason to believe that a QB suffering professional insult, and more importantly, injury, would walk away from an organization which seems unresponsive to his needs. 

His dad has upvoted a comment urging Trevor to explore going to LA if the Jags don’t fix this problem. Again, I don’t believe it’s beyond the bounds of reason to think he and Trevor have had this conversation. 

I’m glad Trevor sat down with the team to let them know what he wants. The question is if Baalke responds.

Why would they have a meeting with the athlete - the point of which was to address his needs - if they had no intention of addressing them?

(7 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote:
(7 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m not saying he’s on the verge of walking, but it’s not beyond the bounds of reason to believe that a QB suffering professional insult, and more importantly, injury, would walk away from an organization which seems unresponsive to his needs. 

Why would they have a meeting with the athlete - the point of which was to address his needs - if they had no intention of addressing them?

So far they’ve signed a center with a history of concussions. Other than that…

The draft is almost here. Hope springs eternal.

(6 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote:
(7 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote: Why would they have a meeting with the athlete - the point of which was to address his needs - if they had no intention of addressing them?

You're assuming that he went into that meeting and demanded changes on the line. (I hope he did!)

BTW - Mitch Morse has played in 77 of a possible 87 games since 2019. 

So - yes - they addressed the most glaring need in protection.

And "other than that"  -  I'm not going to choose to ignore trading for and re-signing a LG. 
That is a factor. Now that he has time to heal - Cleveland will be an upgrade to Morse's left- and the expectation is that he returns to the form that had PFF calling him a top tier OG in 2022.

(7 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote: Why would they have a meeting with the athlete - the point of which was to address his needs - if they had no intention of addressing them?

And with the 17th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select.... Peyton Wilson. Linebacker. NC State

(9 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote: This is an article about Baalke farting at the news conference but the top video is a discussion about Trevor’s potential contract. The 4:00 mark explains why I have this unhealthy urge to kick Mike Florio in the face sometimes. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootbal...eak-stride

Talk about a Baalke Bomb.

(8 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote:
(8 hours ago)flsprtsgod Wrote: This is year 4, he still has a 5th year option that Baalke is certain to use. It's like the Franchise Tag but makes him feel even more studly to slap it on a fan favorite veteran.

Yeah, but how wise is it to exercise that option on a franchise QB who doesn’t want to be here and sees, potentially, another season of injury and frustration? 

My guess (fervent hope) is if it ever begins approaching that possibility, Khan steps in. 

When you think about it, the future of this franchise hinges an uncomfortable amount on Mitch Morse.

can we give this a week or so to actually say whether or not we did a thing to address the matter first? Seems like by next Sunday this may all be moot, or it's the beginning of the end.

(4 hours ago)Mikey Wrote:
(8 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote: Yeah, but how wise is it to exercise that option on a franchise QB who doesn’t want to be here and sees, potentially, another season of injury and frustration? 

My guess (fervent hope) is if it ever begins approaching that possibility, Khan steps in. 

When you think about it, the future of this franchise hinges an uncomfortable amount on Mitch Morse.

can we give this a week or so to actually say whether or not we did a thing to address the matter first? Seems like by next Sunday this may all be moot, or it's the beginning of the end.

Why wait to be upset later when you can be upset now over the potential of having something to be upset about.

(7 hours ago)Cleatwood Wrote:
(8 hours ago)cland Wrote: Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.  It looks like the right move NOW, after he increased his sack total from 2.5, 7.5, and 7.0 to 17.5.  I don't think anyone would have supported giving Allen a ~$25M per year contract, after the 7 sack season.
That's the point lol I was also one of the ones advocating for signing Josh Allen last off season.

Allen got 88 million guaranteed this season after getting 17.5 sacks. Don't you think they could have got him for around 75 million guaranteed last off season? Save yourself some money?

The Eagles just gave Devonta Smith an extension before players like Lamb, JJ and Chase get their extension. Get in early so you don't have to pay a premium.

Trevor will be a Jaguar. There is absolutely no question about it. It's better to give him a deal now than to wait and watch it blow up in their face next summer.

...Smith was a willing participant in that deal, though, right?

Smith's value isn't anywhere CLOSE to Lamb or Jefferson, performance-wise. If it was, do you think he'd want to be the first on the block with the new deal, or wait until the rest of the market was set? The only thing Smith earned by signing this deal so early is he gets his signing bonus now instead of later, and he'll have the chance to hold out for more money sooner if salaries keep balooning as the new TV deals roll in. 

Allen wasn't going to take the lowball offer when the fifth year option was there to let him gamble on his ability to improve his value. If we throw an offer on the table today for Trevor, what's the motivation for him to take it, if it's similarly cheapened? He's got this year AND NEXT to show that he's worthy of a market-setting contract or to say he's done playing behind our line (as some are worrying). If we DO address the line, wouldn't he figure that his numbers should improve, we have a better shot at postseason play, and other deals getting done set his minimum offer that much higher?

Guys aren't just going to sign any deal dropped in front of them. It ain't that easy.

(This post was last modified: 4 hours ago by Jags32250. Edited 1 time in total.)

40% of the line upgraded since mid last season. Two mid to upper tier players at the ends, a pro bowl RG who has been dealing with injury and a full draft coming next week. #boardimploding. Y’all need some Xanax.

(This post was last modified: 4 hours ago by Mikey.)

he also has a history of playing every game for two of the past three seasons.

As you say, darft time is nigh.

(5 hours ago)Cleatwood Wrote:
(6 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote: So far they’ve signed a center with a history of concussions. Other than that…

And with the 17th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select.... Peyton Wilson. Linebacker. NC State

I guess I could stoop to this level and assume Wilson has a bum ACL right? durr hurr

Mebbe I could dig up a tarps joke while I'm at it!

(4 hours ago)Mikey Wrote:
(6 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote: So far they’ve signed a center with a history of concussions. Other than that…

he also has a history of playing every game for two of the past three seasons.

As you say, darft time is nigh.

(5 hours ago)Cleatwood Wrote: And with the 17th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select.... Peyton Wilson. Linebacker. NC State

I guess I could stoop to this level and assume Wilson has a bum ACL right? durr hurr

Mebbe I could dig up a tarps joke while I'm at it!

Seriously! So played out and stale…

(4 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote:
(4 hours ago)Mikey Wrote: can we give this a week or so to actually say whether or not we did a thing to address the matter first? Seems like by next Sunday this may all be moot, or it's the beginning of the end.

Why wait to be upset later when you can be upset now over the potential of having something to be upset about.

When I get upset I toot

I hope Trent is ok. I know this is a stressful week for him.

I’ll drop an unpopular take here, more akin to the forbidden fruit. I think Baalke is the guy and I love what he’s done. His biggest detractor are his second to fourth round picks, but that book isn’t written yet. He’s the best GM we’ve had since Coughlin but it appears there are a significant amount of snot nosed millennials putting on their clown faces. That meant something different in my time…

Write it down, save it for flaming away later, but it will be a waste of time. He’s our guy and we are lucky to have him.

(4 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote:
(4 hours ago)Mikey Wrote: can we give this a week or so to actually say whether or not we did a thing to address the matter first? Seems like by next Sunday this may all be moot, or it's the beginning of the end.

Because it gives us a reason to drink.

(4 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote:
(4 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote: Why wait to be upset later when you can be upset now over the potential of having something to be upset about.

You need a reason?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(4 hours ago)homebiscuit Wrote:
(4 hours ago)NYC4jags Wrote: Why wait to be upset later when you can be upset now over the potential of having something to be upset about.

Tongue

Well, oddly enough, tonight's gig featured this product amongst the green room refreshments:
https://www.almadeljaguar.com/reposado

I'm going to take this thread and green room spirit as an omen to crack a cork and get started.

(4 hours ago)Jags32250 Wrote: I’ll drop an unpopular take here, more akin to the forbidden fruit. I think Baalke is the guy and I love what he’s done. His biggest detractor are his second to fourth round picks, but that book isn’t written yet. He’s the best GM we’ve had since Coughlin but it appears there are a significant amount of snot nosed millennials putting on their clown faces. That meant something different in my time…

Write it down, save it for flaming away later, but it will be a waste of time. He’s our guy and we are lucky to have him.

I like the boldness of this take, and I sure hope you are right. That said, 9-8 in two back to back seasons is a heck of lot better than the average of the past two decades.

(1 hour ago)Newton Wrote:
(4 hours ago)Jags32250 Wrote: I’ll drop an unpopular take here, more akin to the forbidden fruit. I think Baalke is the guy and I love what he’s done. His biggest detractor are his second to fourth round picks, but that book isn’t written yet. He’s the best GM we’ve had since Coughlin but it appears there are a significant amount of snot nosed millennials putting on their clown faces. That meant something different in my time…

I like the boldness of this take, and I sure hope you are right. That said, 9-8 in two back to back seasons is a heck of lot better than the average of the past two decades.

Was that Trevor or was it Baalke?

I'm not sold on him being "the guy" but he definitely hasn't earned the amount of hate he gets. 
It's very over the top.