Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Smoot Injury

2 big losses in the trenches the last 2 weeks with Smoot and cam. I wish him a speedy recovery.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-23-2022, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 12:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Was listening to the Game on the radio last night and Boselli said he thought he knew what it was but didn't want to say and then they started talking achilies so sounds like it may be a bad one.

Smoot is a solid rotation guy and a big body up front which we need but we've got good production from Key this year. I know how crazy this sounds but if Chaisson can just give us SOME kind of pass rush we may be able to overcome this.

Unfortunately, Chaisson can't mitigate this loss since he plays a different position and is trying to help mitigate the loss of Travon Walker. 

If someone steps up to aid Smoot's absence it will have to be Gotsis, the one DL left on the PS, or a street FA. 
There aren't really any other DTs left that aren't already getting significant rotational snaps. 

(Smoot plays mostly at 3-4 DE or DT in 4-3 looks. Not a ton of snaps outside)

Good points NYC and I didn't expect Chaisson to be a like for like swap just looking at what we have left at the moment up front as we are starting to lose some guys. Hopefully Walker should be back soon and the extra few days from playing TNF will help with that. 

Gotsis has done a pretty good job when called on and while I wouldn’t want to have to rely on him for every down, i feel confident having him in on passing downs inside.

(12-23-2022, 02:00 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Unfortunately, Chaisson can't mitigate this loss since he plays a different position and is trying to help mitigate the loss of Travon Walker. 

If someone steps up to aid Smoot's absence it will have to be Gotsis, the one DL left on the PS, or a street FA. 
There aren't really any other DTs left that aren't already getting significant rotational snaps. 

Good points NYC and I didn't expect Chaisson to be a like for like swap just looking at what we have left at the moment up front as we are starting to lose some guys. Hopefully Walker should be back soon and the extra few days from playing TNF will help with that. 

Gotsis has done a pretty good job when called on and while I wouldn’t want to have to rely on him for every down, i feel confident having him in on passing downs inside.

Too bad we don't still have Tufele.  Had to back up and re-watch some preseason 1 on 1 drills to find out who that big guy was that was so explosive.  Was quite surprised we dumped him - seemed like a lot of potential there.

Definitely sucks for Smoot.  It's never a good time for an injury like that, but as has been mentioned, timing on this one couldn't be much worse.  Dude pretty much has to start his career over once he's healthy again.

He was at 5 sacks when he got injured, and probably would have made another sack on the very play he got hurt. Hate to lose him during this playoff run. I hope he comes back stronger next season.

(12-23-2022, 02:15 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He was at 5 sacks when he got injured, and probably would have made another sack on the very play he got hurt. Hate to lose him during this playoff run. I hope he comes back stronger next season.

I hope so too, but he's a free agent in 2023 unfortunately

I blame the crappy artificial turf in MetLife stadium. This injury inflicting garbage needs to go now!
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2022, 04:23 PM by carp8dm.)

Don't you guys think maybe we can just bring him back and resign him on the cheap and just let him rehab here... If we could fix up JRob with his Achilles, maybe we have great doctors and physical therapists? I'm just holding out hope that we can bring him back. He's a legit football player and an all pro human being, he's great for our locker room...

Losing Smoot dampens this NY win for most of us. That just tells you how important he is. It would be nice if there was a way for the team get him back to whole.

(12-23-2022, 02:33 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: I blame the crappy artificial turf in MetLife stadium. This injury inflicting garbage needs to go now!

Totally

Heartbreaking for Smoot. Balled out this year, great for the team, I hope the team works with him to get through next year

(12-23-2022, 04:22 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Don't you guys think maybe we can just bring him back and resign him on the cheap and just let him rehab here...  If we could fix up JRob with his Achilles, maybe we have great doctors and physical therapists?  I'm just holding out hope that we can bring him back.  He's a legit football player and an all pro human being, he's great for our locker room... 

Losing Smoot dampens this NY win for most of us.  That just tells you how important he is.  It would be nice if there was a way for the team get him back to whole.

(12-23-2022, 02:33 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: I blame the crappy artificial turf in MetLife stadium. This injury inflicting garbage needs to go now!

Totally

That may depend on how badly his Achilles is torn. Robinson’s Achilles was only torn partway which enabled him to come back as soon as he did. If it’s a total rupture, he’s a goner.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2022, 05:41 PM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

A real loss for the team, he’ll be back before he knows it…what a crazy way to get injured. They use artificial turf on that field don’t they? How many players a year are injured because of artificial turf I wonder…

Edit- Reading through, I see it IS the turf. Such crap, why doesn’t the Players union do something about that?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(12-23-2022, 04:22 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Don't you guys think maybe we can just bring him back and resign him on the cheap and just let him rehab here...  If we could fix up JRob with his Achilles, maybe we have great doctors and physical therapists?  I'm just holding out hope that we can bring him back.  He's a legit football player and an all pro human being, he's great for our locker room... 

Losing Smoot dampens this NY win for most of us.  That just tells you how important he is.  It would be nice if there was a way for the team get him back to whole.

Totally
 JRob may not be the same player he was before the injury. Maybe that’s why he was traded, and why he’s not playing. Coming back from that injury, most are not the same.

(12-23-2022, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 12:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Was listening to the Game on the radio last night and Boselli said he thought he knew what it was but didn't want to say and then they started talking achilies so sounds like it may be a bad one.

Smoot is a solid rotation guy and a big body up front which we need but we've got good production from Key this year. I know how crazy this sounds but if Chaisson can just give us SOME kind of pass rush we may be able to overcome this.

Unfortunately, Chaisson can't mitigate this loss since he plays a different position and is trying to help mitigate the loss of Travon Walker. 

Can't they still sign a DT from a different teams practice squad instead of going after a street FA?

(12-23-2022, 06:23 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Unfortunately, Chaisson can't mitigate this loss since he plays a different position and is trying to help mitigate the loss of Travon Walker. 

Can't they still sign a DT from a different teams practice squad instead of going after a street FA?

Yes, that is an option. 

I think they'll forge ahead with Gotsis unless Fatukasi is going to be out for more than next Sunday.

(12-23-2022, 05:43 PM)JW Wrote:

Totally
 JRob may not be the same player he was before the injury. Maybe that’s why he was traded, and why he’s not playing. Coming back from that injury, most are not the same.

He was averaging like 6 yards per carry  after the injury for a few games, so I don't think that is the case

(12-23-2022, 05:38 PM)Ronster Wrote: A real loss for the team, he’ll be back before he knows it…what a crazy way to get injured.  They use artificial turf on that field don’t they? How many players a year are injured because of artificial turf I wonder…

Edit- Reading through, I see it IS the turf. Such crap, why doesn’t the Players union do something about that?

They have been trying for five years to do something about it, where have you been?

(this may have started during your little boycott)

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2022, 07:26 PM by StrayaJag.)

Sucks damn it

Are we at least supposed to get Walker back this week? Losing Smoot sucks, he wasn't a game changer but was solid in an important spot. Our DL is gonna be awful and doesn't bode well if we're going to make any sort of run.

(12-23-2022, 12:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Any word on this?

Looked like an achilles unfortunately, but I'm no doctor. 

He was just pushing off to rush the passer and went down immediately on his own grabbing behind the ankle.

Was listening to the Game on the radio last night and Boselli said he thought he knew what it was but didn't want to say and then they started talking achilies so sounds like it may be a bad one.

Ah yes, if if's and but's were candy and nuts.....

Last night he was doing his usual impersonation of a strip of velcro.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

This turnaround does not happen without Dawuane Smoot leading by example. The guy is an underrated player with an outstanding work ethic who is beloved by this fan base. Best of luck in your recovery big fella.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(12-23-2022, 06:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 06:23 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Can't they still sign a DT from a different teams practice squad instead of going after a street FA?

Yes, that is an option. 

I think they'll forge ahead with Gotsis unless Fatukasi is going to be out for more than next Sunday.

(12-23-2022, 05:43 PM)JW Wrote:  JRob may not be the same player he was before the injury. Maybe that’s why he was traded, and why he’s not playing. Coming back from that injury, most are not the same.

He was averaging like 6 yards per carry  after the injury for a few games, so I don't think that is the case

(12-23-2022, 05:38 PM)Ronster Wrote: A real loss for the team, he’ll be back before he knows it…what a crazy way to get injured.  They use artificial turf on that field don’t they? How many players a year are injured because of artificial turf I wonder…

They have been trying for five years to do something about it, where have you been?

His average in New York is no where near that.

(12-23-2022, 09:11 PM)JW Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 06:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes, that is an option. 

His average in New York is no where near that.

Right - as mentioned - when he reported for the jets they had to drain fluid off of his swollen knee and scratch him from game day active lists.
Not sure why it is difficult to correlate his knee injury to his inactivity and compromised performance.

Walker comes back, plug him in at DT. Maybe we can get something out of Chassion at edge.