Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Smoot Injury

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023, 10:42 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-19-2023, 10:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: This is good news. He was on his way to an 8 sack season, which would have led the team.

Was he really though? I'd definitely welcome Smoot back, but he had 5 sacks this past season. He only missed 2 games (well 4 if you count the playoffs) due to the injury and his last game with a sack was week 9 (he had 2 in that game). He went the next 6 straight games without a sack, before he got injured.

He averaged over 50% of the Defensive snaps in those 6 straight games. 63% of the D snaps in week 14 and 70% in week 15.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2023, 12:58 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-19-2023, 10:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-19-2023, 10:05 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: This is good news. He was on his way to an 8 sack season, which would have led the team.

Was he really though? I'd definitely welcome Smoot back, but he had 5 sacks this past season. He only missed 2 games (well 4 if you count the playoffs) due to the injury and his last game with a sack was week 9 (he had 2 in that game). He went the next 6 straight games without a sack, before he got injured.

He averaged over 50% of the Defensive snaps in those 6 straight games. 63% of the D snaps in week 14 and 70% in week 15.

I like Smoot, I like yelling Smoot when he does flash in games. I like that he appears from the stands to be a good player that plays hard. That said he an average rotational player on a good defense and a real good player on on a sub-par defense.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2023, 03:46 AM by Jag88.)

(05-20-2023, 12:58 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(05-19-2023, 10:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Was he really though? I'd definitely welcome Smoot back, but he had 5 sacks this past season. He only missed 2 games (well 4 if you count the playoffs) due to the injury and his last game with a sack was week 9 (he had 2 in that game). He went the next 6 straight games without a sack, before he got injured.

I like Smoot, I like yelling Smoot when he does flash in games. I like that he appears from the stands to be a good player that plays hard. That said he an average rotational player on a good defense and a real good player on on a sub-par defense.

Many of us like to say smooooooot when he does something good. Lol

(05-19-2023, 07:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 09:41 PM)GaJag Wrote: He sure doesn’t look injured to me.
That’s the point of the video though.

No idea what kinda shape he’s actually in.

Agreed.

Until he's pushing against a 300 lbs offensive lineman for 25 snaps I'm not going to say he's back.   Or that he's worthy of more than a 1 year deal at $4 million.

Want him on the team though if healthy.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

Don’t forget 2 of his sacks came from the DT position, in the same game.

(05-20-2023, 09:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Don’t forget 2 of his sacks came from the DT position, in the same game.

So our pass rush only works if guys play out of position?

Josh Allen with a safety blitz, please

(05-22-2023, 07:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-20-2023, 09:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Don’t forget 2 of his sacks came from the DT position, in the same game.

I mean - lots of speculation swirling about putting players in different spots this year. Allen was actually pretty good dropping in coverage last year when you look at the numbers. LOL

Seriously though, despite Smoot being around only 270 pounds or so, he was actually lined up inside as a 3-4 end significantly more than he was outside as an OLB or 4-3 end. By my rough estimation he rushed from the interior 65-70% of his snaps.

If that were so then with the way we draft we'd be compared to the '85 Bears.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We had Poz covering a #1 WR in a prior game under Gus so Josh Allen at Safety isn't such a shock item here.

See DS working out at Brooks Y, he's moving really well and is not under contract. I loved him as a player and hope he is eventually re-signed.

(07-12-2023, 12:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: See DS working out at Brooks Y, he's moving really well and is not under contract.  I loved him as a player and hope he is eventually re-signed.

Would you say he's about 91%?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(07-12-2023, 12:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: See DS working out at Brooks Y, he's moving really well and is not under contract.  I loved him as a player and hope he is eventually re-signed.

I know he can't use the Jags facility but that's kind of sad if you think about him having to work out at the YMCA with the Gate Parkway nerds (which previously included me prior to terminating my membership) lol

Still holding out hope they add him to be a potential boost late season.

I'd imagine at this point they simply want to get a look at the crop of rookies and signees before making a final offer to bring him back.

Fingers crossed we see him added in late August.

(07-12-2023, 01:41 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

It says Rockman joined us in November 2008.  91% was about 3 or 4 months before his time.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-12-2023, 02:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I know he can't use the Jags facility but that's kind of sad if you think about him having to work out at the YMCA with the Gate Parkway nerds (which previously included me prior to terminating my membership) lol
Shouldn't he still be able to rehab with the Jags? While not employed, they are still responsible for his rehab until he is technically able to pass medical clearance.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(07-12-2023, 03:55 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 02:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I know he can't use the Jags facility but that's kind of sad if you think about him having to work out at the YMCA with the Gate Parkway nerds (which previously included me prior to terminating my membership) lol
Shouldn't he still be able to rehab with the Jags? While not employed, they are still responsible for his rehab until he is technically able to pass medical clearance.

Good question.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2023, 07:33 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-12-2023, 03:55 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 02:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I know he can't use the Jags facility but that's kind of sad if you think about him having to work out at the YMCA with the Gate Parkway nerds (which previously included me prior to terminating my membership) lol

Absolutely.

He was injured while under contract and can rehab with Jaguars. There is literature in all contracts that protects the players in this situation along with the NFLPA. 

There is also literature that protects the franchise, which means Smoot must follow procedures or his contract could be voided since he was paid while being injured. And then you have his bonuses etc.

(07-12-2023, 01:41 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

He's at least at 91%.

He did say he couldn't use Jags facilities because he's not under contract.

Lots of current and former NFL players use Brooks Y, including Austen Lane.

Not sure anyone will sign him this early.  Believe he'll be re-sign with Jags as the season progresses.  I hope so.

(07-21-2023, 08:24 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 01:41 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Would you say he's about 91%?

He's at least at 91%.

He did say he couldn't use Jags facilities because he's not under contract.

Lots of current and former NFL players use Brooks Y, including Austen Lane.

Not sure anyone will sign him this early.  Believe he'll be re-sign with Jags as the season progresses.  I hope so.

He's meeting with the Ravens so we will see

Good to see we resigned him before he met with the Ravens