Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL, Google and Sunday Ticket

(12-24-2022, 08:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The price of YoutubeTV is about to go up ten fold.

Why?  Sunday ticket is a separate pay service.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-24-2022, 08:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The price of YoutubeTV is about to go up ten fold.

I'd wager the NFL package will be an add on option to a basic subscription. 

Like it is with Direct TV

I'm personally curious what the difference in cost will be - especially for commercial accounts. 
I imagine they must have agreed in the licensing contract to keep any increase within reason so as not to lose subscribers. 
Just curious what percentage they landed on.

Because y'all didn't read the story at the link....

Starting next season, NFL Sunday Ticket will be available on two of YouTube's growing subscription businesses as an add-on package on YouTube TV and standalone a-la-carte on YouTube Primetime Channels.

That makes sense. Just wonder if a basic YouTube Tv subscription will be required in the order to have the Sunday ticket service. Or if you’ll just be able to pay for the ticket and no TV.

(12-25-2022, 02:37 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote: That makes sense. Just wonder if a basic YouTube Tv subscription will be required in the order to have the Sunday ticket service. Or if you’ll just be able to pay for the ticket and no TV.

The article states more info will be available as they work out details. 

My pet peeve is the NFL not giving out of market fans the ability to watch live games of their favorite team on a TV. Why?! What are they losing? NFL+ is pretty useless to me because I can't watch Jags games live here in NC. NFL Sunday Ticket has been useless because Directv isn't something I've had or wanted to have in 20 years. IIRC NFLST did allow me to watch Jags games live wherever I was living at the time but it's been a long time so I may have that wrong. 

I just don't understand why the NFL doesn't understand not everyone lives where their team plays. Military and college students especially miss out, plus those of us, like me, who married someone who lives in a different state and they just don't seem willing to uproot their career and home for a football team. LOL. 

Anyway, I guess we'll see how it all shakes out with youtube but I'm not getting any kind of sub with them if they don't allow me to watch live Jags games on my TV.

(12-25-2022, 01:41 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Because y'all didn't read the story at the link....

Starting next season, NFL Sunday Ticket will be available on two of YouTube's growing subscription businesses as an add-on package on YouTube TV and standalone a-la-carte on YouTube Primetime Channels.

Well I believe that’s exactly what I said.   Smile

I'll just take my boat down easy stream and not give any of them a dime. I think they'll get by just fine without my nickel.

(12-25-2022, 07:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'll just take my boat down easy stream and not give any of them a dime. I think they'll get by just fine without my nickel.

In the long run it’s cheaper for me.  Otherwise I’d have to go to a sports bar to watch.

(12-25-2022, 07:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 07:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'll just take my boat down easy stream and not give any of them a dime. I think they'll get by just fine without my nickel.

In the long run it’s cheaper for me.  Otherwise I’d have to go to a sports bar to watch.

If I already had and used Youtube TV I'd maybe think about it but I'm not paying for YT TV (to never use it), just to then pay them for another sub. No thanks.

(12-25-2022, 07:18 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 07:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote: In the long run it’s cheaper for me.  Otherwise I’d have to go to a sports bar to watch.

If I already had and used Youtube TV I'd maybe think about it but I'm not paying for YT TV (to never use it), just to then pay them for another sub. No thanks.

I got tired of paying DirecTV and Comcast extortion rates and cut the cord three or four years ago.  YoutubeTV is where I watch my ‘regular channels’.

(12-25-2022, 07:27 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 07:18 PM)Eric1 Wrote: If I already had and used Youtube TV I'd maybe think about it but I'm not paying for YT TV (to never use it), just to then pay them for another sub. No thanks.

I got tired of paying DirecTV and Comcast extortion rates and cut the cord three or four years ago.  YoutubeTV is where I watch my ‘regular channels’.

DirecTV is a racket, but they actually offer a lot of deals if you call them up about it. They have a loyalty number that if you call they'll usually hook you up. I pay around 80$ a month (including the boxes/devices etc), but I have the mid package, which costs more than $80, but I also get all of the movie channels and such for free. Just gotta call them up about every 6 months and see what they offer.

Although Sunday ticket was the main reason I had DirecTV and will definitely think about getting rid of it now as I don't watch too much TV besides sports mainly. I can watch anything I want for free nowa days anyways with all the streaming sites. Just gotta know where to look lol.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2022, 04:26 PM by carp8dm. Edited 2 times in total.)

So, with all the money you spend, are you getting less commercials? Are they providing you on demand and REAL-TIME DVR capabilities (FF, RW, Slow Mo, Pause, Frame by Frame) with alternative views (all 22, behind the QB, etc?) as was promised back in the 80s and 90s when cable and fiber optic capabilities were being sold to us????

You guys, we're being fleeced. There are multiple cameras, we have access to only one of them!! The broadcaster denies you the ability to follow other cameras. We are in the age of 5G broadcasting and multi-level broadcasts, and we're being forced to pay extra for less?? And being made to think we're getting a good deal!

A standard TV watcher get's the corporate camera for free. No extra cost. You guys are paying an extra 75 bucks a month, and you only get the same camera? Oh, but you get to watch all the games. Bros, how many games are you really watching??? You're watching maybe 1 or 2 every week on top of your favorite team. And as the season progresses, look at the drek that's being produced.

Thursday night games are garbage. Most Monday night games are trash. The Sunday Night game is sometimes interesting, but usually it's a game that involves the NFC East, or KC versus...

So what are you really getting for all that extra money? Nothing.

All I'm saying is that there are ways to get games you want without getting fleeced. These broadcasters have colluded to keep the product under wraps. We, as consumers, are dealing with the same product we've had since the 70s. Yeah, the pixels are more high definition, but the broadcast hasn't changed. That's corporate collusion. That's against the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

The violations I see makes me more than comfortable sailing upon the oceans of alternatives.

So genius, any suggestions on how I can watch a game on ‘regular TV’ in Texas.

(12-25-2022, 03:58 AM)Jagfan44 Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 02:13 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Price isn't changing and this will suck for most people still getting Sunday Ticket. It's great for people who live in a big city but a lot of people don't have those options to stream something and paying +$300 for terrible picture plus potentially added cost for going over data limits.

It's not always better to stream, DTV had satellite and streaming options available. Now the NFL has removed one of the options.

What about bars? Now they will need a huge internet cable to stream all the games at one time and then additional tech to send that to multiple TVs. They have all been setup to just have a dish and a device that could handle the routing of channels. How many bars will stop showing it?

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

I don’t see the stream thing as a concern. It’s not like bars are using some random illegal stream sites on the web. YouTube servers will be able to handle this. The worst, but probably best part for customers about this is many bars will need to upgrade their ten year old TVs with horrible pictures to newer smart TVs. Or not so good for customers, just get a Firestick for their old TVs in order to be able to stream games. Could complicate things a bit though as normally you see the guy at the bar using the same remote for all of the TVs. Ultimately businesses will adapt if they want to keep their customers.
(12-25-2022, 10:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 02:13 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Price isn't changing and this will suck for most people still getting Sunday Ticket. It's great for people who live in a big city but a lot of people don't have those options to stream something and paying +$300 for terrible picture plus potentially added cost for going over data limits.

It's not always better to stream, DTV had satellite and streaming options available. Now the NFL has removed one of the options.

What about bars? Now they will need a huge internet cable to stream all the games at one time and then additional tech to send that to multiple TVs. They have all been setup to just have a dish and a device that could handle the routing of channels. How many bars will stop showing it?

You’re living in the 90s. Do you still get up to turn the knob to change the channel?

A lot of bars already use some kind of streaming service. And on top of that, who cares about bars? DTV was and is a dinosaur. Get with the times or get left behind.
I guess you have never been outside of a large city. Bandwidth can't support watching HD streams, you can't pause, can't go frame by frame if you want, and can't watch multiple games at once any more.

Bars don't pay for enough bandwidth to stream all the 1PM games, payment services, customers wifi,etc. You can't just connect a TV to you wifi and stream individual games, that will suck. Maybe you can get away with 1-2 TVs but a bar that small isn't paying the $10,000 or so cost to stream it.

When you have multiple TVs showing the same game, try to get them to sync up. That will be hilarious in a bar with all of them being slightly off. Then look at having to provide bandwidth for 5-10+ TVs. It requires special equipment and right now I don't think it really is commercially available as all the digital rights shut that down.

You need something similar to what DTV had. Basically it needs to stream all the games to a network device that then converts it to RG6 and duplicates so everything is in sync. If you try to rely on separate TVs you are just asking for issues with different TV models, brands, etc. DTV made it so much simpler and easier for bars.

(12-26-2022, 04:39 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So genius, any suggestions on how I can watch a game on ‘regular TV’ in Texas

I don't think you were talking to me, because I'm no genius.  But then again, you're from Texas, so you could basically be talking to anyone...  (LOL, it's a joke, don't get too angry at me!)

But let me point you in the right direction:

I recommend first getting a VPN (It'll cost ya 15 bucks a month, but it'll give you peace of mind - Honestly, I know people that don't use a VPN and have never been hassled.  But I would be negligent in my bro-code if I didn't recommend it to you)  And then you should probably also get a computer that you use exclusively for your TV. 

From there all you have to do is search for NFL games to stream.  I mean, I can't really hold your hand through it.  But if you understand the internet, you should be able to figure it out.  It's not hard.  I mean, you've heard of Reddit, right?  That place would be a first step to start your search journey...  I started my journey there, and I've been sailing the seas the entire year with no hiccup. 

If you want it, you can get it.  You just have to do a bit of leg work.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2022, 02:16 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2022, 02:05 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(12-26-2022, 04:39 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So genius, any suggestions on how I can watch a game on ‘regular TV’ in Texas

I don't think you were talking to me, because I'm no genius.  But then again, you're from Texas, so you could basically be talking to anyone...  (LOL, it's a joke, don't get too angry at me!)

I recommend first getting a VPN (It'll cost ya 15 bucks a month, but it'll give you peace of mind - Honestly, I know people that don't use a VPN and have never been hassled.  But I would be negligent in my bro-code if I didn't recommend it to you)  And then you should probably also get a computer that you use exclusively for your TV. 

From there all you have to do is search for NFL games to stream.  I mean, I can't really hold your hand through it.  But if you understand the internet, you should be able to figure it out.  It's not hard.  I mean, you've heard of Reddit, right?  That place would be a first step to start your search journey...  I started my journey there, and I've been sailing the seas the entire year with no hiccup. 

I prefer doing it legally.  No thanks.  You want to do it, go for it.  Silly me.  And get a computer that I dedicate for TV.  Seems very cost-effective.  Gosh I wish I could figure these things out.  Maybe I should have put in more than the 47 years in IT than I did.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2022, 02:29 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

So glad I live in the Jags viewing market.

I do have to subscribe to The MLB Extra Innings just to watch my Sox games. Kinda stinks, but oh well. Worth it to me.

That Sunday Ticket, is it like Extra Innings where if you don't like commentary, you can easily switch to the other team's channel and listen to their commentary instead?

Don't get me wrong.. Love Dennis Eckersley but glad he's retiring from being up in the booth.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(12-27-2022, 02:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I prefer doing it legally.  No thanks.  You want to do it, go for it.  Silly me.  And get a computer that I dedicate for TV.  Seems very cost-effective.  Gosh I wish I could figure these things out.  Maybe I should have put in more than the 47 years in IT than I did.

You can do it without the pc, unfortunately they take away the better options with it being on TV. They should offer a streaming version and a TV version.

(12-27-2022, 02:29 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So glad I live in the Jags viewing market.

I do have to subscribe to The MLB Extra Innings just to watch my Sox games. Kinda stinks, but oh well. Worth it to me.

That Sunday Ticket, is it like Extra Innings where if you don't like commentary, you can easily switch to the other team's channel and listen to their commentary instead?

Don't get me wrong.. Love Dennis Eckersley but glad he's retiring from being up in the booth.

The NFL isn't smart and forces you to subscribe to 2 different services to get game day radio. Then there is no way to watch them live with different audio. Who knows if that changes though.

(12-27-2022, 03:54 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 02:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I prefer doing it legally.  No thanks.  You want to do it, go for it.  Silly me.  And get a computer that I dedicate for TV.  Seems very cost-effective.  Gosh I wish I could figure these things out.  Maybe I should have put in more than the 47 years in IT than I did.

You can do it without the pc, unfortunately they take away the better options with it being on TV. They should offer a streaming version and a TV version.

(12-27-2022, 02:29 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So glad I live in the Jags viewing market.

The NFL isn't smart and forces you to subscribe to 2 different services to get game day radio. Then there is no way to watch them live with different audio. Who knows if that changes though.

You can get game day radio on AM 957.  The website.

(12-27-2022, 02:05 PM)carp8dm Wrote:

That route only works well if you have good internet. There are two options for my address. One has great high speeds....when it's up and working and you have data caps. The other has not so high speeds, we can only get up to 15mbps, but no caps. We have the second option and streaming those sites does not always work out. 

So we can get it sure enough but the quality sucks. That's why I'm mega excited when our game is nationally televised or it just happens to air in my area for some reason.