Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Car Help

(12-30-2022, 08:54 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 08:50 PM)Butters Wrote: Ok cool and yeah same here. My kids are great(Only have 8 in my classroom this year). All of them are on the spectrum somewhere so have to be patient with their lack of social skills and such but overall great kids. The main problem we have(Not with my kids) but the other middle schoolers in general is way too much PDA and vaping in the bathrooms.

Just for clarification, is it vaping and PDA in the bathrooms or PDA as well as vaping in the bathrooms?

Both tbh and also some of the 8th grade girls...got into trouble on the bus, let's just put it that way smh.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-30-2022, 08:56 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 08:54 PM)Jags Wrote: Just for clarification, is it vaping and PDA in the bathrooms or PDA as well as vaping in the bathrooms?

Both tbh and also some of the 8th grade girls...got into trouble on the bus, let's just put it that way smh.

I was young once too.  No need to explain. I was just curious about the bathroom aspect.  Assuming that boys/girls stayed in their own restrooms.  Obviously, with current events, I had questions.  I won’t go further.  I’d hate to have your truck thread head to the political forum.

(12-30-2022, 09:02 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 08:56 PM)Butters Wrote: Both tbh and also some of the 8th grade girls...got into trouble on the bus, let's just put it that way smh.

I was young once too.  No need to explain. I was just curious about the bathroom aspect.  Assuming that boys/girls stayed in their own restrooms.  Obviously, with current events, I had questions.  I won’t go further.  I’d hate to have your truck thread head to the political forum.

I got you friend no worries. And I have caught girls sneaking into the boys restroom to be with their boyfriends, and boys doing the same thing for their girlfriends; ah the youth of today smh.

But yeah to get get back on topic lol, I plan on using this weekend to visit some local car dealerships that have good reviews to see what's what. One a couple miles from me is supposed to have a New Year's Sale so we shall see. Will keep ya'll updated.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(12-30-2022, 09:08 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 09:02 PM)Jags Wrote: I was young once too.  No need to explain. I was just curious about the bathroom aspect.  Assuming that boys/girls stayed in their own restrooms.  Obviously, with current events, I had questions.  I won’t go further.  I’d hate to have your truck thread head to the political forum.

I got you friend no worries. And I have caught girls sneaking into the boys restroom to be with their boyfriends, and boys doing the same thing for their girlfriends; ah the youth of today smh.

But yeah to get get back on topic lol, I plan on using this weekend to visit some local car dealerships that have good reviews to see what's what. One a couple miles from me is supposed to have a New Year's Sale so we shall see. Will keep ya'll updated.

Good luck on the search.  Just remember they are “salesmen” and will tell you whatever you want to hear.  Definitely keep up posted.

(12-30-2022, 09:28 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 09:08 PM)Butters Wrote: I got you friend no worries. And I have caught girls sneaking into the boys restroom to be with their boyfriends, and boys doing the same thing for their girlfriends; ah the youth of today smh.

Good luck on the search.  Just remember they are “salesmen” and will tell you whatever you want to hear.  Definitely keep up posted.
Just a bit of an update:

Went to the dealership I mentioned that had the sale going on and with my current car being part of a trade in and me putting some down also, I can get a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali for 450 bucks a month and total price of 33,400 with 62k miles; its red. Told him I would think about it and get back to him tomorrow. Any experience with GMC trucks? Think that's a fair deal? Thanks.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 10:22 AM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

GMC is good.  At the price/payment you list, seems like you’re financing bare min 6 years.  I’d factor in how many miles you drive each year and tack on some more if you plan to use it for side work. The average mileage a year is a little over 14k.  For just 6 years that’s an additional 84000 miles give or take. When it’s paid off it’ll be at least 10 years old and have about 150,000 miles on it.  YMMV (literally). That would be my concern.

Elon needs to hurry up with these flying cars and trucks..

We've been waiting forever..

I gotta take Elroy to school and Jane wants to go shopping.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(12-31-2022, 09:58 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 09:28 PM)Jags Wrote: Good luck on the search.  Just remember they are “salesmen” and will tell you whatever you want to hear.  Definitely keep up posted.
Just a bit of an update:

Went to the dealership I mentioned that had the sale going on and with my current car being part of a trade in and me putting some down also, I can get a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali for 450 bucks a month and total price of 33,400 with 62k miles; its red. Told him I would think about it and get back to him tomorrow. Any experience with GMC trucks? Think that's a fair deal? Thanks.

GMCs are very good trucks. If I wasn't driving a Toyota, I'd be in a Chevy/GMC truck. Most likely, the truck you're looking at has the 5.3L Vortec engine, which are excellent. For 8 years I had a GMC Yukon XL which is, essentially, a GMC 1500 with the bed converted to a passenger compartment, and never had any issues with it besides a temperature blend door on the environmental controls. My son fixed that by getting a front wheel onto a soft shoulder and then over-correcting and driving into trees on the other side of the road. Totaled. 

Jags's math is accurate. 150,000 miles is not a big deal for a truck, though. It's not unusual to get anywhere from 300-500 thousand miles out them before they start nickel and diming you to death. Toyotas still rule, though.

The truck you're looking is a Denali, which is the top-of-the-line models for GMC. They have all the luxury and electronics bells and whistles, so you're going to be paying extra for that. Have the dealership show you a Car Fax, or some other background check on it to make sure it hasn't been wrecked. Fender benders are no big deal and will actually work in your favor because that lowers the value a little. However, if you see air bags deployed, walk away. Also check for recalls and if they've been taken care of. That will also be on the Car Fax report. 

62k miles is gently used for a good pickup. It's just getting broken in if the previous owner(s) maintained the motor (oil and filter changes) and took reasonably good care of it overall. I bought my Tacoma 7 years ago with the same amount of mileage and jumped at it.

I've got a 2017 Tundra with 120k. The stereo sucks and the transmission sometimes hunts a bit for the correct gear, but it's been otherwise solid. The only repair has been an AC compressor failure at 80k and it wound up being pretty spendy to fix. You'd be getting 4 mpg worse than a comparable Tacoma but the truck has a hell of a reliability rating, 10,000 pound towing capacity and the ability to run on E80.

I'm planning on keeping it until 200k. With current mileage it's worth around 30k, which is 8 grand less than I paid for it. I can recommend one.

Of the big 5 (GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Ram) I would skip the Nissan or Ram based on experience. I'd also go gas over diesel.

Good luck!

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 05:15 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

I always say you need to make the biggest down payment possible on your vehicle, so you can have the lowest possible monthly payment. Especially if you're just using the towing/hauling for a hobby, that's an expensive hobby! If your current car still works well, I'd build up a better down payment.

But yeah, avoid Nissan.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 06:50 PM by EricC85.)

Late to the thread but my professional advice is a Tacoma over any GM product. Especially if your looking at new vehicles, GM is having major issues with lifter failure big reason why they changed the dexos criteria. All manufactures have their problems Toyota included but the cost of ownership on a GM vs Toyota will be double by 100,000 miles.

(01-01-2023, 04:27 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I've got a 2017 Tundra with 120k.  The stereo sucks and the transmission sometimes hunts a bit for the correct gear, but it's been otherwise solid.  The only repair has been an AC compressor failure at 80k and it wound up being pretty spendy to fix.  You'd be getting 4 mpg worse than a comparable Tacoma but the truck has a hell of a reliability rating, 10,000 pound towing capacity and the ability to run on E80.

I'm planning on keeping it until 200k.  With current mileage it's worth around 30k, which is 8 grand less than I paid for it.  I can recommend one.

Of the big 5 (GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Ram) I would skip the Nissan or Ram based on experience.  I'd also go gas over diesel.

Good luck!

Daily drivers absolutely need to avoid diesel there's no need for it if your not hauling every day.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 08:00 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-01-2023, 06:48 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Late to the thread but my professional advice is a Tacoma over any GM product. Especially if your looking at new vehicles, GM is having major issues with lifter failure big reason why they changed the dexos criteria. All manufactures have their problems Toyota included but the cost of ownership on a GM vs Toyota will be double by 100,000 miles.

(01-01-2023, 04:27 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I've got a 2017 Tundra with 120k.  The stereo sucks and the transmission sometimes hunts a bit for the correct gear, but it's been otherwise solid.  The only repair has been an AC compressor failure at 80k and it wound up being pretty spendy to fix.  You'd be getting 4 mpg worse than a comparable Tacoma but the truck has a hell of a reliability rating, 10,000 pound towing capacity and the ability to run on E80.

I'm planning on keeping it until 200k.  With current mileage it's worth around 30k, which is 8 grand less than I paid for it.  I can recommend one.

Of the big 5 (GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Ram) I would skip the Nissan or Ram based on experience.  I'd also go gas over diesel.

Good luck!

Daily drivers absolutely need to avoid diesel there's no need for it if your not hauling every day.

He plans on towing [BLEEP].  Still recommend the Tacoma?

Rhetorical question.

Eric is the guy to listen to. He’s a professional auto mechanic.

(01-01-2023, 08:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Eric is the guy to listen to. He’s a professional auto mechanic.

I get that, but if Butters is looking for towing, then I’m not sure a Tacoma is the way to go.  Even if it is a great vehicle.  But I don’t get paid to fix trucks.

(01-01-2023, 09:06 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-01-2023, 08:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Eric is the guy to listen to. He’s a professional auto mechanic.

I get that, but if Butters is looking for towing, then I’m not sure a Tacoma is the way to go.  Even if it is a great vehicle.  But I don’t get paid to fix trucks.

That was actually directed toward Butters. 

However, if he wants to go with a Toyota, I suggest a Tundra for towing. Those have V8s.

(01-01-2023, 07:58 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-01-2023, 06:48 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Late to the thread but my professional advice is a Tacoma over any GM product. Especially if your looking at new vehicles, GM is having major issues with lifter failure big reason why they changed the dexos criteria. All manufactures have their problems Toyota included but the cost of ownership on a GM vs Toyota will be double by 100,000 miles.

He plans on towing [BLEEP].  Still recommend the Tacoma?

Rhetorical question.

Tundra it is then
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 01:21 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

I would recommend negotiating the purchase separately and waiting until the end to indicate you'd like to trade your old one in if you don't want to hassle with selling it privately. You're giving up too much info ahead of time that they'll use to finagle the numbers in their favor. If they ask, just say you're considering selling it privately. Sounds like you've already started the process with a dealer and it may be too late to approach it this way. If you decide to shop around, consider using this tactic moving forward.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 05:17 PM by Butters. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hey friends I have an update and its a good one!

Went to another lot this morning, talked and discussed with the salesman, etc, etc and long story short am getting a 2019 Tundra Double Cab with only 29k miles and will cost me 420 bucks a month. $31,200 total price out the door. Traded in my car and actually didn't have to put a ton down(1000 bucks), they wanted to move it. Getting it shipped from another of their locations and should be able to finalize everything and pick it up on Friday.

I love the color(Army Green) and feel good it will do quite well for me.

Thanks again friends for all your tips and advice about this; ya'll are great. Helps I have decent credit also lol.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(01-02-2023, 05:17 PM)Butters Wrote: Hey friends I have an update and its a good one!

Went to another lot this morning, talked and discussed with the salesman, etc, etc and long story short am getting a 2019 Tundra Double Cab with only 29k miles and will cost me 420 bucks a month. $31,200 total price out the door. Traded in my car and actually didn't have to put a ton down(1000 bucks), they wanted to move it. Getting it shipped from another of their locations and should be able to finalize everything and pick it up on Friday.

I love the color(Army Green) and feel good it will do quite well for me.

Thanks again friends for all your tips and advice about this; ya'll are great. Helps I have decent credit also lol.

Nice!

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023, 07:14 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

naa na na na nuh TUNDRA!

I was caught
In the middle of vehicle shoppin’ (Tundra)
I looked 'round
And I knew there was no turning back (Tundra)
My mind raced
And I thought, what could I do? (Tundra)
And I knew
There was no help, no help from Ford (Tundra)