Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texans uniform changes

(06-18-2023, 11:15 AM)Kane Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:46 AM)mikesez Wrote: Browns didn't need to rebrand.  If you started a team today, you wouldn't call it that.

Why not?

Assuming it's a new team with no history, it probably doesn't get named after a person.  Or a color.  Just hasn't been done in a long time.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-23-2023, 03:15 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-18-2023, 11:15 AM)Kane Wrote: Why not?

Assuming it's a new team with no history, it probably doesn't get named after a person.  Or a color.  Just hasn't been done in a long time.

I will not stand for this disrespect of Coach Jaguar.

(06-23-2023, 02:35 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 12:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: You and Hurricane said that the 1999 expansion team in Cleveland should have been named the Bulldogs.  I replied explaining that not only do I think you're wrong, the fans in Cleveland thought you were wrong, the politicians in Cleveland thought you were wrong, and nobody was offended by the name "Browns."
However my attempts to be nice and non-confrontational in presenting these facts seem to have gone over your head.  I won't worry about hurting your feelings next time.

Unfortunately, part of the accelerated deal to return football to Cleveland required that the name continue. I fricking grew up there, knew every roster by heart and am well steeped in the franchise's history and culture. You're right that many wanted Cleveland to remain Browns Town ™, but it was far from unanimous, as many associated the franchise name with that human colostomy bag Art Modell.

Doing Tagliabue's bidding got a franchise back there, but for many of us who grew up on Browns football, something died when Modell moved the team. It would have been nice to start fresh.

But I'm wrong to think that, right? Get with the rest of the lemmings, we got a cliff to dive off of!

(06-16-2023, 12:30 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Just rebrand the team like the Browns did and just bring back the Houston Oilers.

Al Del Greco comes on to attempt the field goal.

They can't, because unlike CLE, the other relocated franchises kept their old team names/records. The tacks played a season or two as the oilers, and Earl Campbell is second all-time on the tacks' rushing list. Johnny U is part of Indynoplace's history.

Everything is stupid.

CLE kept their history and as such were compelled to continue the franchise, effectively making Ballimer the expansion team.

(06-18-2023, 11:15 AM)Kane Wrote: Why not?

what dummy would call their team the Cleveland that?

He's got a valid point.

Well, I had no idea any significant number of fans wanted to start fresh like that. I'm sorry for you guys, not feeling heard and all that. I still think the right thing to do was keep the Browns name in Cleveland.
But I think any team that wins a championship in a given city should keep that name and logo forever associated with that city.  Most people disagree with that, certainly most people in places like Las Vegas and Indianapolis do.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.