Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coin Flip - The Fairest Thing

First off, the fact that Damar Hamlin is looking like he's going to pull through is a blessing.  Prayers for him and his family going forward.

Now, the bottom line is that, as Pink Floyd says, "The show must go on".

With that confirmed, there is only one fair thing to consider.  A coin flip.

Nobody wants to play that Bengals/Bills game.  There's bad juju there.  We should all recognize that there was a bad thing that happened, but that by the grace of the Football Gods and all of our good will, a young man that put his life on the line for the game we all love, pulled through.

The game was rightfully cancelled, but to ignore it is not really possible.  It started...  It had scores, and it was postponed.  But now, it's time to finish it.  I think the best way to finish it is with a coin flip.

Let the Football Gods make the decision.  I think it is the fairest thing to do in the most unfair situation of all.  Calling the game a no-contest is not right.  We play to win the games.  We don't play them just to play them!  WE play to win.  Everyone knows that.

This game was close.  We all know that there are inches and calls, and moments, and decisions that all hang by a razors edge.  These 2 teams are equally capable.  Either team could have won this game.  

So just toss it up.  I think it's the best way to do it at this point.

(I'm sure many will attack me and tell me how ridiculous I am.  But I think this is the fairest way to make the decision in a most unfair situation for the entire league)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In my mind the "fairest" solution would be to call it a tie.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I hate Sven A. Smith, but I agree with him. Move the playoffs back a week and play the game.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-05-2023, 04:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I hate Sven A. Smith, but I agree with him.  Move the playoffs back a week and play the game.

The only problem that I see with that is it would give both teams an unfair disadvantage in terms of rest for the playoffs.  They both are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of the game, it's just a matter of seeding.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-05-2023, 04:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I hate Sven A. Smith, but I agree with him.  Move the playoffs back a week and play the game.

If both teams agree… sure.  But I think both teams will be, what’s the word, reluctant/hesitant??? Idk. I can totally see how neither of them want to continue. Hamlin making the strides he has definitely makes this potential game an option though.

(01-05-2023, 05:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

The only problem that I see with that is it would give both teams an unfair disadvantage in terms of rest for the playoffs.  They both are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of the game, it's just a matter of seeding.

Yup that would benefit some teams far more than others in terms of rest. That extra week could be the difference in whether a key player is able to play or not and would kinda taint the playoffs.

Call it a tie, or a no contest and move on with the normal schedule.

I just saw where the league decided to officially cancel the Bills vs. Bengals. One of the main reasons was that this will not effect which AFC teams make the playoffs. They are considering playing the Championship game on a neutral field if both the Chiefs and Bills win this week since they would not have played the same number of games.

I believe that this was the best decision that could have been made. Obviously, certain people won't be happy with this but the NFL got this one right.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 09:42 AM by Mikey.)

(01-05-2023, 04:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: In my mind the "fairest" solution would be to call it a tie.

I'd agree. I doubt that either team will want to add this game back into their schedules and risk injury or fatigue before actual playoff games begin.

I think both coaches would likely have to agree to whatever proposal is on the table.

Adjusting the playoff schedule is the one option I don't think the league would embrace at all.

(01-06-2023, 12:28 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I just saw where the league decided to officially cancel the Bills vs. Bengals. One of the main reasons was that this will not effect which AFC teams make the playoffs. They are considering playing the Championship game on a neutral field if both the Chiefs and Bills win this week since they would not have played the same number of games.

I believe that this was the best decision that could have been made. Obviously, certain people won't be happy with this but the NFL got this one right.

LOL, if KC and Bufff make the AFCCG play it in Cincy, damn that would be brutal for Bungle fans

(01-06-2023, 12:28 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I just saw where the league decided to officially cancel the Bills vs. Bengals. One of the main reasons was that this will not effect which AFC teams make the playoffs. They are considering playing the Championship game on a neutral field if both the Chiefs and Bills win this week since they would not have played the same number of games.

If it's Chiefs / Bills, the choice of a neutral field is gonna be interesting.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

It's a shame for the fans of whichever team would have more likely had the championship game at home, but I get it.

Not the worst solution.

Playing a Championship game on a neutral site is [BLEEP]. It's a disservice to the fanbase, it's also a disservice to the team that worked it's [BLEEP] off the hardest all year and earned that right to have homefield advantage.

I don't mind the coin flip. I would put both owners together. Best two out of three wins that contest for their team. It's as simple as that. It's still a game of chance. Could go either way. But, I think that's fair.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 06:58 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yeah they could have determined the game a tie. Oh well. We will see how it plays out.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-appr...tial-neutr

https://www.nfl.com/news/proposed-afc-pl...ed-to-know

There was another article on NFL.com that explained why they did what they did.  Made sense. They’ve been in talks with the 2 clubs and only seeding mattered.  There was zero outcome of that game that allowed another team to make the playoffs apparently.  The neutral site tells me that after talks that both side, the NFL/NFLPA and the two clubs decided or jointly agreed upon this.  Which, is kind of already said.

Does the neutral site have to be a NFL stadium? What about a college stadium?

I don't see that being logistically possible. So many people have already taken off the week of the superbowl to attend. As well as made travel arrangements and spent a ton of money on hotels and airbnbs. My cousin rented out her house in Arizona, half mile from the stadium, 3 nights at 2k per night that weekend.

(01-07-2023, 08:45 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

I don't see that being logistically possible. So many people have already taken off the week of the superbowl to attend. As well as made travel arrangements and spent a ton of money on hotels and airbnbs. My cousin rented out her house in Arizona, half mile from the stadium, 3 nights at 2k per night that weekend.

I need to get into that business. Wish I was a little bit wiser back in 2012 when I was 24 years old. I should have bought two homes during that buyer's market. [BLEEP]!

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-07-2023, 08:45 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

While I agree that there may be logistical problems for the fans, haven't they already shown that they don't have a problem hosing the fans by saying they'll play playoff games at neutral sites?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Zac Taylor seems pretty upset about their situation with the Bengals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews...llowed.amp

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Theres got to be a combination of team metrics that can decide this better than a neutral field.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-09-2023, 12:54 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Theres got to be a combination of team metrics that can decide this better than a neutral field.

Easiest way to avoid it being an issue is for the Jags to make the AFCCG. PROBLEM SOLVED.