Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nuk wants to be a Jag?

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 05:02 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Don't need him. He won't be able to PI himself open as he gets older and slower. He just wants to bandwagon onto what he sees as the next great passing offense in the hopes of snagging a SB. Can't really blame him after all those wasted years in Houston, but he's going to be Julio Jones sooner rather than later.

We need to address OL so that we open up ETN which will then open up the passing game with who we already have.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Glad he wants on the Jags. Tell him to get in line.

Good to have players wanting to join the team. Now lets get some great players for discounts that the team needs.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(01-11-2023, 11:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There's a bit of familiarity with Kirk here already. He saw Kirk have his best year yet in ONE season with Lawrence and Pederson. Already earning his contract. He got out of Arizona at the perfect time. There's also the Clemson connection between Hopkins and Lawrence. There's also the chance to play the tinhorns and punk McNair twice a year as well. His former team.

Tax free state. Sometimes those guys don't care for L.A or larger markets. Sometimes a lot of these guys come from small towns or rundown cities and they like nice, quiet cities like ours that's laidback and not too far away from everything. I think he's looking at legitimate, up and coming teams that could use an even bigger spark to get over the top. 

Would take him here in a heartbeat. Would fork over a 2nd RD pick and not even flinch.

Not sure familiarity would necessarily be a positive in this case.  Kirk is also familiar with Hopkins, and more importantly being his teammate.  He finally broke out of Hopkins' shadow.  The locker room is good right now.  Would adding Hopkins to the mix cause any resentment in Kirk?  Note:  I have only heard of minor rumblings of Hopkins being a negative locker room presence, mostly under Bill O' Brien, which supposedly led to his trade from Houston in the first place, so I'm not impugning his character.  I'm also not sure the the Clemson connection would be much help.  Hopkins didn't play with Lawrence.  He may have played with Watson...but IIRC he was long gone by the time Trevor Lawrence got there.
He may well prefer the smaller town as as opposed to the huge city, and that may well work in our favor.

There are compelling arguments to having him here.  But we should proceed with caution.  Looking purely at talent, I'd take him.  The foursome you listed earlier is certainly and upgrade over our top four now.  But there are other considerations.

(01-11-2023, 11:00 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Whatever we do let's not dig ourselves a hole similar to the one the Rams find themselves in. They spent a lot of money to get the team they have and on paper it looks great. Translated to the season not so much. They have no real leverage to make any significant changes until 2024 at the earliest IIRC.

Yes, they won the SB last year but that kind of money and talent should last more than one season.

I would take one Super Bowl winning year for 2-3 years of losing as opposed to never winning the Super Bowl and still not being able to avoind losing seasons.

I feel ya on that. I guess I'm always thinking about the long game.

(01-11-2023, 07:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 11:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Not sure familiarity would necessarily be a positive in this case.  Kirk is also familiar with Hopkins, and more importantly being his teammate.  He finally broke out of Hopkins' shadow.  The locker room is good right now.  Would adding Hopkins to the mix cause any resentment in Kirk?  Note:  I have only heard of minor rumblings of Hopkins being a negative locker room presence, mostly under Bill O' Brien, which supposedly led to his trade from Houston in the first place, so I'm not impugning his character.  I'm also not sure the the Clemson connection would be much help.  Hopkins didn't play with Lawrence.  He may have played with Watson...but IIRC he was long gone by the time Trevor Lawrence got there.
He may well prefer the smaller town as as opposed to the huge city, and that may well work in our favor.

There are compelling arguments to having him here.  But we should proceed with caution.  Looking purely at talent, I'd take him.  The foursome you listed earlier is certainly and upgrade over our top four now.  But there are other considerations.

I would take one Super Bowl winning year for 2-3 years of losing as opposed to never winning the Super Bowl and still not being able to avoind losing seasons.

I feel ya on that. I guess I'm always thinking about the long game.

Completely understood.  But from a certain perspective, winning the Super Bowl contributes to the long game.  It gives as a considerably higher profile as a franchise.  It gives us more fans, more exposure, higher merchandise sales, more ticket sales, more advertising revenue, etc.  We all want what's best for the team.  How to get there is the question.  Fortunately, the team has taken a HUGE step in that direction by drafting Trevor Lawrence, hiring Doug Pederson, and winning in the second half of the year.  Let's hope it continues.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

It just goes to show you how desirable it is for most players to go to a team with a great quarterback and player-friendly coach. The Jags won't be able to afford high-priced free agents for a while, but they really won't need them to succeed. Hopefully, it will help them attract more affordable guys who have yet to peak as players but have that potential.

As far as Hopkins goes, I'd rather use that money to pay Engram and Key. Hopkins would be nice, but let's see what Ridley can do before adding guys like this.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023, 01:24 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-11-2023, 04:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't see a Hopkins signing happening given three these three factors:
  • Ridley addition
  • Salary Cap 
  • current production with Kirk/Zay/Engram

Of course it would be amazing to have that guy catching passes from Lawrence for a couple years before he's washed completely, but I don't realistically see it happening and I'm not sure it would be wise given our cap issues and other needs. 

If we're talking priorities, I think improving our OL would bump our passing production and rushing production to the point that we wouldn't covet receivers looking to relocate for the final golden years they have remaining in the NFL.

I know looking at 2023 free agents two-three months before the free agency period begins is a fool's errand because guys listed on any best free agents list now will either be re-signed or franchised by their teams  and disappear from the market. 

But just for the sake of discussion, assume Orlando Brown Jr hits the market.  For whatever reason he and the Chiefs can only reach agreement on it's time for them to part ways.  So no franchise tag.  He becomes a UFA.  Would you rather allocate the funds to sign him or proceed with a Hopkins deal?

Brown's deal is complicated by the fact he wants to play exclusively LT (which is what precipitated his departure from Baltimore).  Robinson is our incumbent LT who is one year into a 3 year deal signed after getting the franchise tag.  I remember him saying he has always played LT and has no intent to move.  If somehow Robinson or Brown could perhaps be persuaded to move to RT, would you pursue him or Hopkins?

I would lean Brown at this point.

(01-12-2023, 01:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 04:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't see a Hopkins signing happening given three these three factors:
  • Ridley addition
  • Salary Cap 

Of course it would be amazing to have that guy catching passes from Lawrence for a couple years before he's washed completely, but I don't realistically see it happening and I'm not sure it would be wise given our cap issues and other needs. 

If we're talking priorities, I think improving our OL would bump our passing production and rushing production to the point that we wouldn't covet receivers looking to relocate for the final golden years they have remaining in the NFL.

I know looking at 2023 free agents two-three months before the free agency period begins is a fool's errand because guys listed on any best free agents list now will either be re-signed or franchised by their teams  and disappear from the market. 

But just for the sake of discussion, assume Orlando Brown Jr hits the market.  For whatever reason he and the Chiefs can only reach agreement on it's time for them to part ways.  So no franchise tag.  He becomes a UFA.  Would you rather allocate the funds to sign him or proceed with a Hopkins deal?

Brown's deal is complicated by the face he wants to play exclusively LT (which is what precipitated his departure from Baltimore).  Robinson is our incumbent LT who is one year into a 3 year deal signed after getting the franchise tag.  I remember him saying he has always played LT and has no intent to move.  If somehow Robinson or Brown could perhaps be persuaded to move to RT, would you pursue him or Hopkins?

I would favor Brown in this scenario. You get more time in the pocket for Lawrence and he's able to hit bigger plays with the current cast of receivers he now has. Also opens up more for Etienne in the backfield as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The Lawrence effect. And yes I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Not interested in Hopkins, or Ramsey, or OBJ.

[Image: whos-next-who.gif]

(01-12-2023, 01:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
  • Ridley addition
  • Salary Cap 

Brown's deal is complicated by the fact he wants to play exclusively LT (which is what precipitated his departure from Baltimore).  Robinson is our incumbent LT who is one year into a 3 year deal signed after getting the franchise tag.  I remember him saying he has always played LT and has no intent to move.  If somehow Robinson or Brown could perhaps be persuaded to move to RT, would you pursue him or Hopkins?

I think tackle isn't our immediate need until we part with Robinson after the 2023 season. 

I'd like to get it in the draft, but I'd love to find competition for LG and C. Preferably in one player, but that may not be possible. 
Would entertain options at IOL before any big name free agent that feels like a square peg in a round hole, or just bad timing based on need.

(01-16-2023, 11:37 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The Lawrence effect. And yes I would sign him in a heartbeat.

I would too. Jags are loaded at wr though. Ridley hasn’t even played yet.

No thanks
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

There’s no way. We’ve got too much money tied up in our WR room to allow for whatever he would command. And the cap is already gonna be tight for us next year. You’d be saying bye bye to Engram for sure.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 01:32 AM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-18-2023, 12:29 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s no way.  We’ve got  too much money tied up in our WR room to allow for whatever he would command.  And the cap is already gonna be tight for us next year.  You’d be saying bye bye to Engram for sure.

He has a cap hit of $30.7m in 2023 ($19.4m base salary) and $26.2m ($14.9m base) in 2024. We'd have to give up draft picks AND pay him a bunch of $$.

I'm sure a trade would include the Cardinals eating some of that money, but even then it'd still be way too much. That money is better used re-signing our own guys. Especially since Ridley will be joining that WR room next season.

Ridley, Kirk, Zay, Tim Jones, Agnew and likely a rookie is a solid group. Would love to keep Marvin on a Vet minimum deal, but doubt that'll happen.

Gotta re-sign Engram 100%.

(01-18-2023, 12:29 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s no way.  We’ve got  too much money tied up in our WR room to allow for whatever he would command.  And the cap is already gonna be tight for us next year.  You’d be saying bye bye to Engram for sure.

Exactly.

Not saying there's no room to improve the WR roo,/  Just not with a 31 year old guy who will cost a high draft pick and $34 million over 2 seasoms to do so.

As the first half of the Charger game showed, we need more speed outside so teams will fear crowding our WRs at the LOS and jumping our underneath routes with impunity.

Jalen Hyatt, Zay Flowers (to corner the  market on Zays), Dontayvion Wicks whould serve our purposes.

(01-18-2023, 03:20 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Exactly.

Not saying there's no room to improve the WR roo,/  Just not with a 31 year old guy who will cost a high draft pick and $34 million over 2 seasoms to do so.

As the first half of the Charger game showed, we need more speed outside so teams will fear crowding our WRs at the LOS and jumping our underneath routes with impunity.

Jalen Hyatt, Zay Flowers (to corner the  market on Zays), Dontayvion Wicks whould serve our purposes.

To the extent that Zay and Kirk left room for improvement, Ridley is coming in.  It was obvious that Lawrence lacked for time, more than he lacked for guys who can get open and catch it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.